Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep, there were a lot of women in history would could've gone toe to toe with men, like Caterina Sforza, Elizabeth Woodville, and Catherine of Aragon.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

and speaking of guilty pleasure ships...
Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes, Arinna? What one in particular?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

You may like this, it parallels Jasper/Margaret in early years, then Lizzie/Henry, then Henry VIII/Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I/Robert Dudley... basically from the love that could never be due to circumstance, to a good thing with some minor hiccups to a full blown disaster, to a disaster averted due to Elizabeth understanding the implications for her reign - coming full circle to what her great-grandmother experienced. Beautifully made, as I think it highlights perhaps the nature vs. nuture theme... it shows Margaret's passionate side that was so ofen suppressed, same for Lizzie, Henry VIII and Anne who never had enough self control, Elizabeth who exercised a lot but perhaps not always as much as she should have.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you for the vid, Nina.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

I like the mood and Elizabeth's dress blue-grey dress. Rackel Skarsten is so pretty.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the vid, Nina! I like how they strung all the shows together in an(almost) chronological continuity. Wow, they really made Anne Boleyn look stunning. But that's also probably because of Natalie Dormer.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

Dormer looks nothing like Anne Boleyn in her portraits but she definitely knew how to play her once the script was decent in season 2.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, Natalie has a unique face. And she's gorgeous. What did you think of Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn? The portraits of Anne show her having a longish, oval face.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I like Natalie and I think she played her well but the script was terrible and I despise Scarlett Johansson. So at the end of the day I hated the movie less than I thought I would but I don't think a lot of thought was put into it and that's quite disappointing, especially since I think of Natalie Portman as someone who is actually really intelligent and should have given the role a bit more thought. Though I'll say one thing, I guess I liked that she cried when she waited for the sword to fall so to speak. I mean I get it in theory that given the time they were much more about having made their peace with God and accepting death and dying well and I still can't help but think that nobody can be totally composed at the prospect of being executed. We know that Kathryn Howard was basically carried to the block because she had collapsed and was so afraid. And that was despite her allegedly practising with the block and how to put her head the night before.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's another one of my guilty ships:

Leo and Piper.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aww, Leo and Piper! Thanks, Arinna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Well, I like Natalie and I think she played her well but the script was terrible and I despise Scarlett Johansson. So at the end of the day I hated the movie less than I thought I would but I don't think a lot of thought was put into it and that's quite disappointing, especially since I think of Natalie Portman as someone who is actually really intelligent and should have given the role a bit more thought. Though I'll say one thing, I guess I liked that she cried when she waited for the sword to fall so to speak. I mean I get it in theory that given the time they were much more about having made their peace with God and accepting death and dying well and I still can't help but think that nobody can be totally composed at the prospect of being executed. We know that Kathryn Howard was basically carried to the block because she had collapsed and was so afraid. And that was despite her allegedly practising with the block and how to put her head the night before.

I'm not a fan of Scarlett either, Nina. I also like Natalie. And that was based on another Philippa Gregory novel, right? Wow, she really has a thing for the Yorks, Lancasters, and Tudors. So the movie actually showed Anne's execution? That's the part I never could stand. I hated watching Mary Stuart being executed in Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Killing women like that just infuriates me. And yeah, I heard about Catherine Howard during my Googling of the Tudors and the Wars of the Roses. She supposedly admitted that she deserved execution for her betrayal of Henry.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

Oh, now you're not even trying, Arinna. I mean they were married on the show, no?
I liked Prue/Andy in season 1...

Yes, that was based on "The Other Boleyn Girl" and the movie ended with Anne's execution and Mary taking Elizabeth away to her home. Of course that never happened and Gregory also didn't write that in her novel. But that's Hollywood for you.

Well, they all "admitted" that they deserved it ... I'd say almost everyone who got executed still had family out there and didn't want them suffering any repercussions at least not any more than they were already suffering through being associated with them, so of course they'd all say what a good and merciful king Henry VIII was etc. and that their death was just. Didn't mean that they actually felt it.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked Phoebie and that daemon character.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You mean Phoebe and Cole, Arinna? Yeah, they're a guilty pleasure. He was like Angel to her Buffy. And it's spelled "demon," by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Oh, now you're not even trying, Arinna. I mean they were married on the show, no?
I liked Prue/Andy in season 1...

Yes, that was based on "The Other Boleyn Girl" and the movie ended with Anne's execution and Mary taking Elizabeth away to her home. Of course that never happened and Gregory also didn't write that in her novel. But that's Hollywood for you.

Well, they all "admitted" that they deserved it ... I'd say almost everyone who got executed still had family out there and didn't want them suffering any repercussions at least not any more than they were already suffering through being associated with them, so of course they'd all say what a good and merciful king Henry VIII was etc. and that their death was just. Didn't mean that they actually felt it.
Andy/Prue was sad, Nina. I didn't expect him to die.

OMG, the movie had Mary taking Elizabeth away to prepare her to become Queen? Hollywood sucks sometimes.

Yeah, that makes sense. And the way they went to their execution says a lot as well. I can't imagine what that's like.