Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Elite Fan

Well good luck with your PC (that's why I don't have one). I hope you get things resolved soon.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope so too, hun.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Elite Fan

Did you take it to the shop for repairs?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Elite Fan

118 by the way.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Well good luck with your PC (that's why I don't have one). I hope you get things resolved soon.
You don't have a PC? What do you use, Nina? A laptop? An Ipad?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 at the moment.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow, that looks good, Nina! Apple makes the best stuff! I have an HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx Entertainment PC. It's a laptop, but HP calls it a PC.

So you have a laptop? Arinna has a laptop too, but she just calls it a PC.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Elite Fan

I do, it is not so practical to take a desktop/work station with you when doing fieldwork. I had an ibook before that which I liked a lot but then I couldn't install some stats programmes I needed for work because it didn't have an Intel processor. Nevermind, I had it for five years and it never gave me any trouble, indeed my mother is using it now. I used to teach a class where we used PCs and well, let's say this - Windows Vista drove me bananas and what on earth is up with that new MS Office with all its crazy icons. I had to set it all back to "classic environment", making it look like Windows 2000 in order for my eyes and brain not to hurt. Admittedly I also own a Sony Vaio YB4A... mostly because it is tiny and green, has an AMD processor and was very cheap. I haven't used it much yet though to be honest. I admire people who have the nerve to delve into Linux but I could never bring myself to do that. Partly because we used Unix at uni for the longest time and I just became too lazy to figure all these open source stuff out, by the same token, I'm also too lazy to constantly troubleshoot Windows. See, I'm not one of these young hip kids who have an iphone and an ipad and ... okay I have an ipod but the thing is - I have heard so many people complaining about how pricey apple laptops are and then they go and buy something cheap from Acer or Samsung and wonder why these things go bust so quickly. In the time I have used my laptop, they have one through two, some through three -- so in retrospect I'd say it's not that expensive in the long run and you have far less problems with it. In all fairness when I was young and had a boyfriend who studied computer science, he built me a PC desktop from a variety of different components he deemed best in terms of quality and the thing might be outdated with Windows 2000 on it, it's not like I can do actualy work-work with it but it's still up and running like a champ. It was mostly the necessity for a reliable laptop and the early troubles of Windows XP and then the complete failure of vista that drove me away. The Vaio came with Windows 7 and I configured it again to a classic enviroment and installed Office 2003 on it and things seem fine so far. But in the grand scheme of things, I do think that an apple product is is the better investment. At least from what I experienced and heard from others. Meaning, I rather take the bitter pill once of paying more for a macbook that doesn't give me any trouble and I can work with for years than buy two or three cheap PC laptops in the same time. It strikes me as if you get out having paid the same amount of money in the end while going though the while trouble of switching and salvaging data and whatnot. Okay, long rant... I'm just saying. It may seem that apple products are a cool rich kids thing but then in the sciences you work a lot with macs anyway and see above my argument, I find that makes a case for it. /rant

Sorry...

So how do you like your HP? I only used their printers and scanners before.

Last edited by Nikki K; 07-17-2012 at 12:47 PM
Old 07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay, my brain has exploded.

My HP is working out pretty well. No major problems so far, but Windows 7 occasionally likes to crap out on me. I used to have a DELL and it wasn't very good. Can't afford an Apple right now.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Elite Fan

Well that was the whole point of my post though.

Sometimes I wonder why I write anyting at all. Anyway. Glad you're happy with your choice.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm back-ish.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Elite Fan

Good. I will need to leave actually. I will try and do the stuff we talked about in the 25k thread (can you please check back there and tell me yes or no) today but then I need a time out.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes and hope you'll be able to be back here asap.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know. I just need a break from all of this. I will see that I am still doing a few things that are pending though.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Gonna miss you here.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread