Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Master Fan

Marion Cotillard would be a perfect Morgan.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think so.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Master Fan

Why not?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think she can portray the depth and strengh required. I think she's an overrated actress. We've had bad Morgans before. Helen Mirren was awful in the role.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

Arthur & Lancelot Is In Trouble
Unless the budget can be lowered...

That whipping sound you hear is Warner Bros. pulling its purse strings tightly shut at top speed. Hot on the heels of yesterday’s announcement that Warners and Legendary Pictures’ ambitious take on Paradise Lost will be delayed so the budget can be trimmed comes word that the studio has decided that David Dobkin’s drama Arthur & Lancelot might be too pricey for its taste.

According to Deadline, the film – which charts the early days of the man who will be king (Game Of Thrones’ Kit Harington) and his loyal friend and noble knight (The Killing’s Joel Kinnaman) – has seen its costs rose from an estimated $90 million to scraping close to $130 million. And that’s making the bean counters sweat. With two largely unknown leads, even if they do score a name brand supporting cast (Gary Oldman had been talked about as Merlin), the worry is that the movie just won’t be able to pluck the sword of riches from the box office stone.

So right now, the executives have told Dobkin he’s free to try to set the film up elsewhere unless a cost deal can be reached. If that take on the Arthurian legend does leave Warners, there’s always a chance that Guy Ritchie might get his shot.

It’s just the latest incident in a year of blockbuster halts. Paradise Lost, as mentioned above, was pushed back into development yesterday and set for a later shooting slot. The Lone Ranger faced a similar stint in limbo over budgetary concerns and Universal has taken the red pen to big projects with wild abandon, shutting down both Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Madness (which had Tom Cruise ready to star) and Ron Howard’s multi-film/TV shot at Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Expect Oliver Stone to fund his next film via Kickstarter and Ben Affleck juggling on the streets of Beverly Hills to raise funds for his own work.

Arthur & Lancelot Is In Trouble | Movie News | Empire
Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Pity, even with the bad Arthur I would have liked to have seen that. Now it probably won't be made, like Bryan Singer's Excalibur.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've just seen the acting of Joel Kinnaman who they cast as Lancelot in that Arthur and Lancelot film. He's a wimp. Totally inappropriate for Lancelot. But then he wouldn't be the first wimp cast as Lancelot. Considering the casting for both Arthur and Lancelot, I'm beginning to hope this film is never made. It should be illegal to cast wimps in roles requiring more forceful types. I'm sick of pretty boys being cast in the roles of Arthur and his knights.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, it sucks when they just pick cute guys who completely ruin the role. But IDK I thought Kit Harrington would be interesting to see.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Mmm, pretty boys, you might be right about that. It's okay to have a very handsome Arthur, though, isn't it. I mean, Richard Harris was great as King Arthur, and at the time he played Arthur, Harris was very handsome.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Master Fan

It's not bad being good-looking of course, as long as they can act well too.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

A lot of pretty boys are wimpy looking and that's no good for Arthur or Lancelot.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Master Fan

That's why i think Bradley James is perfect as Arthur.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Bradley's good.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hey sum1! It's good to see you over here! I find the Authurian legends to be fascinating, and I used to read Prince Valiant as a kid, but I'm unclear about a lot of the legends and if Arthur did, in fact, exist. I need to PM you some time for your take on it all. I remember one movie where Sean Connery played Authur, Richard Gere played Lancelot, and Juila Ormand played Guinevere, and it was awful, so awful that I can't remember the name of the movie! What's the best King Arthur movie that you've ever seen?

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hi. The Sean Connery movie is First Knight. I reviewed it in the first post. It was pretty bad. The best King Arthur movie? Excalibur or the movie Camelot. I reviewed them in the first post.

The question of whether Arthur existed is fought over by historians. We don't know.