Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

The King [Joffrey | Jack] #4: Because a king doesn't ask he commands.

Welcome to the 4th
Joffrey Baratheon / Jack Gleeson Appreciation Thread

Supporters
1. Chrissalaugha
2. ForeverFaraday
3. NOLA504
4. iLoveChair
5. skje
6. ღThetis
7. yuzzz66
8. lisagslack14
9. crazy-shipper
10. BryceLarkinFanForever
11. P&B4ever
12. Eviekins15
13. karmabelle
14. Forelsket
15. MagnoliaFairy
16. hiddleskittlesღ
17. ina_am
18. Against_all_odds
19. L i N d $ @ y

Last edited by NOLA504; 03-22-2013 at 09:02 PM
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

AB∞RB: E&K+M&Ms+Evapup + all bunnies ♥ Emma | icon
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Your welcome Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKat055 (View Post)
They're really losing me with show!Joffrey vs. book!Joffrey. I think Jack is doing a fantastic job in the role, but he's just. NOT. Joffrey. Not Joffrey from the books, and not the Joffrey I want to see on-screen, anyways.

Joffrey is a spoiled, stupid brat. His mother is the raging psycho/power-hungry narcissist who has all of Robert's bastards killed.

Why would the writers make such a massive change to both characters? I'm beginning to wonder if they need to do a thorough re-read. Turning Joffrey into the evil monster, while trying to soften Cersei and make her sympathetic, is really starting to bug.

However, Jack really is bringing it this season. That's one positive surrounding the character - at least they have a very capable actor in the role!
He still comes across very spoiled and stupid on the show though.

I'm glad they changed it to Joffrey ordering the killing. Just gives me more reasons to hate him I agree they do seem to be trying to make Cersei come across more sympathetic. But it still won't change my opinion of her I'll still see her as a very power hungry person.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Absolute Fan

I don't think this change is that massive - I think it rather fits consistently with the Joffrey that we've been given on this show and to the Joffrey that we see in the books - he may be a stupid brat but Joffrey is also a psycho as well, a monster who cannot be controlled and having him give the order shows more of that - it highlights that inherent insanity.

I think one has to understand that books and TV series are different, sometimes what can be communicated through the books cannot show through the TV medium and has to be shown another way. And for this to change is one of them to show the facet of Joffrey that is like his mother, that is power hungry and wants to keep his throne - it doesn't make him any less stupid or spoiled, but it also highlights the psychotic side of his character that often the books get to show in backstory and internalization that the show can't.

JEFFREY MACE|PATRIOT
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

http://s-p-e-c-k.tumblr.com/

Yeah right
Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love a Jack Gleeson appreciation life. He just killed it in that whole scene where he ran away from the battle.

UGH.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa (View Post)
I love a Jack Gleeson appreciation life. He just killed it in that whole scene where he ran away from the battle.

UGH.
See just looking at that scene, watching Joffrey's expression, I think if Cersei had been a better parent in installing good values and controlling this sadistic streak, maybe Joffrey would have grown up to be better, or at least didn't turn into this monster tyrant - there are moments when if Cersei had told Joffrey something else instead of teaching him more how to be cruel, he wouldn't be this way at least.

Joffrey is just an example of bad parenting

Jack Gleeson however is an example of brilliant acting! I love seeing the conflict shown on Joffrey's face when he was deciding to leave.

JEFFREY MACE|PATRIOT
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

For a sec I actually thought he was gonna stay when he asked Tyrion what should he do. but of course he left
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Joffrey is such a craven, he just likes the fun part of being king, commanding and doing whatever he wants, but when it comes to the real stuff, fighting a battle and leading an army, he just runs and hides, giving me even more reasons to hate him, well love to hate him, I can never completely hate him because Jack is so brilliant.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA504 (View Post)
For a sec I actually thought he was gonna stay when he asked Tyrion what should he do. but of course he left
I thought so as well. I think there was a moment where he did want to stay and be a "good" king but his self preservation won out.

And yeah, I think if Joffrey was raised better, he woudl have been a bit diferent. I think the sadistic strreak will still be there, but no one really taught him how to be good. His "father" was absent and Cersei just taught him how to be entitled to everything because he is a prince, etc.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa (View Post)
I thought so as well. I think there was a moment where he did want to stay and be a "good" king but his self preservation won out.

And yeah, I think if Joffrey was raised better, he woudl have been a bit diferent. I think the sadistic strreak will still be there, but no one really taught him how to be good. His "father" was absent and Cersei just taught him how to be entitled to everything because he is a prince, etc.
I think so as well I wonder if we'll see people talking about how he left the battle.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA504 (View Post)
I think so as well I wonder if we'll see people talking about how he left the battle.
Not unless they want to die.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Another popular point of discussion this season: How much fan-tensity King Joffrey has inspired. “The fervor of anti-Joffreyism is a testimony to Jack Gleeson’s brilliance as an actor, because Jack is one of the sweetest kids I’ve ever met,” Benioff says. “Maybe he’s so sweet because playing Joffrey allows him to unload all his malignant urges. But the real Jack is so far from King Joffrey that sometimes I worry a deranged fan might see him in a bookstore and take a swing at him.”
Thought this was cute

Source
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Absolute Fan

Poor Jack - we should form a We-Must-Protect-Jack-Gleeson-From-Deranged-Fans brigade or something!

Jack can have his own Kingsguard!

JEFFREY MACE|PATRIOT
Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceLarkinFanForever (View Post)
Poor Jack - we should form a We-Must-Protect-Jack-Gleeson-From-Deranged-Fans brigade or something!

Jack can have his own Kingsguard!
True! He shouldn't be left alone when going to conventions.