New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

^ Agree with all of this.

Icon by ***
Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

eight seasons i watched this enthralling and spectacular medieval fantasy drama, many great moments, great visuals, great characters, but my abiding draw was always to see the Breaker Of Chains bring down the mad queen Cersei and her thoroughly corrupt house. i always had this dream of Dany coming out on top, bringing redemption to her house, clearing her own legacy of her mad king father and vile brother, and breaking the wheel for all time. i am so disgusted by the shortchanging of this beautifully acted and portrayed character, i can't even begin to process my feelings....

where's the pizza?! | Dave | icon by me
Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Alpha

Moderator of ...
Legacies

Quote:
“What, what, what, WHAT!?” the actress recalls thinking. “Because it comes out of f—king nowhere. I’m flabbergasted. Absolutely never saw that coming.”
[…]
“I cried,” Clarke says. “And I went for a walk. I walked out of the house and took my keys and phone and walked back with blisters on my feet. I didn’t come back for five hours. I’m like, ‘How am I going to do this?’”
[…]
“I genuinely did this, and it’s embarrassing and I’m going to admit it to you,” Clarke says. “I called my mom and—” Clarke shifts into a tearful voice to perform the conversation as she reenacts the call: “'I read the scripts and I don’t want to tell you what happens but can you just talk me off this ledge? It really messed me up.’ And then I asked my mom and brother really weird questions. They were like: ‘What are you asking us this for? What do you mean do I think Daenerys is a good person? Why are you asking us that question? Why do you care what people think of Daenerys? Are you okay?’ And I’m all: ‘I’m fine! … But is there anything Daenerys could do that would make you hate her?’”
— Emilia Clarke, Entertainment Weekly
She's still is the best character on this show no matter what!
Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Elite Fan

i will never accept mad queen Dany as canon. never! two idiot 'writers' destroyed her characterization and momentum, and deprived her of redemption and rising above the sins of her ancestors and family.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

I don't mind Dany a little dark, but she went way beyond that in this version unfortunately.

Francisco&Alba
Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 AM
Loyal Fan

It was out of nowhere, I do not agree that her past actions showed she was evil at heart. Apart from the abrupt S8E5 turn, nothing she did was worse than any other characters in Power. Arya killed an entire house (at least the men) not considering that many of them probably had nothing to do with the red wedding and nobody's talekd about putting her down like a mad dog. Dany uses dragon fire instead of a sword, close range dragon fire is a quick death, and she killed people who were war opponents like many others did. It's hypocritical to hold Dany to modern standards but not any of the others.

I like to believe Bran warged into Dany in S8E5 even though there's no proof. He just couldn't wait to be king, and evil Bran is more interesting (and less out of nowhere imo as he's been getting weird for the past few seasons) than blank faced monotone Bran.

Dany having moments where she has to actively steer away from living up to the mad Targaryen personality works to show she has flaws and internal conflict, becoming a supervillian all of a sudden sucked.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Addicted Fan

Thought I'd share this:
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/24/game-of...ke-fundraiser/

President Olivia Marsdin: I suppose I owe you an explanation.
Cat Grant: At least tell me you're still a Democrat!
Old 05-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky-Cousin (View Post)
It was out of nowhere, I do not agree that her past actions showed she was evil at heart. Apart from the abrupt S8E5 turn, nothing she did was worse than any other characters in Power. Arya killed an entire house (at least the men) not considering that many of them probably had nothing to do with the red wedding and nobody's talekd about putting her down like a mad dog. Dany uses dragon fire instead of a sword, close range dragon fire is a quick death, and she killed people who were war opponents like many others did. It's hypocritical to hold Dany to modern standards but not any of the others.

I like to believe Bran warged into Dany in S8E5 even though there's no proof. He just couldn't wait to be king, and evil Bran is more interesting (and less out of nowhere imo as he's been getting weird for the past few seasons) than blank faced monotone Bran.

Dany having moments where she has to actively steer away from living up to the mad Targaryen personality works to show she has flaws and internal conflict, becoming a supervillian all of a sudden sucked.
I'd love to see the show continued where it turns out to be true that Bran is evil. Perhaps even just mentioned in a spin-off.

Francisco&Alba
Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Master Fan

I'm glad fans started fundraising.

I don't believe she was evil at heart at all. The world is never black and white. I just think they wanted to show somehow that people with best intentions can fail.

But they've done poorly.

They should have told Emilia years ago, they should have shown us more introspection inside Daenerys mind that could hint at such possible outcome through the seasons, and started to actively show other red flags before the final 6 episode season.

Emilia, as showed her performance this season, could perfectly deliver every nuance of this storyline. She did an amazing job even with a rushed storyline can you imagine what she could have done? Also, yes, her death lacked a real plot impact. It was anticlimactic, everybody knew Jon or Arya were going to kill her eventually. We didn't even get to see the aftermath of Jon's killing her.

I was not the biggest fan of show Dany (certainly not a hater, just mostly neutral with sometimes huge affection for her) but if this is going to happen as well in the books I'll feel sad anyway. Book Daenerys struggles a lot (I think it's a natural consequence of the fact we're literally inside of her head) and she is at her core, a girl seeking a home. Although I do not believe for a second that her quest for a home will end up with her being on the IT (the iron throne whatever it stands for could hardly ever be home to anyone) and I believe she will somehow unleash fury on Westeros (intentional or not, in the show she did it on purpose, but I can see unplanned accidents with her dragons to be honest)... There's a huge part of me that wishes her to find a home. A real home. It can be in Westeros, back in Essos...I do not know...But I would love it for her.

I would be very happy for her final chapter to end up with her acknowledging she's home.

Icon
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Addicted Fan

As has already been said, the problem with what happens to Dany isn't that it happens; the problem is that David and Dan actively allowed the previous seven seasons' worth of writing to paint a particular picture of Dany as a hero, only to turn around at the 11th hour and go "psyche; she's actually a villain".

If David and Dan hadn't fed into the perception of Dany being a hero, the ultimate end of her story wouldn't feel like the betrayal that it does.

President Olivia Marsdin: I suppose I owe you an explanation.
Cat Grant: At least tell me you're still a Democrat!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
As has already been said, the problem with what happens to Dany isn't that it happens; the problem is that David and Dan actively allowed the previous seven seasons' worth of writing to paint a particular picture of Dany as a hero, only to turn around at the 11th hour and go "psyche; she's actually a villain".

If David and Dan hadn't fed into the perception of Dany being a hero, the ultimate end of her story wouldn't feel like the betrayal that it does.

As audience we already faced really bad moments in the show....but the viewers remained loyal and accepted it because even that dire scene hard to watch or digest was indeed a natural outcome of something we saw before.

To cheer up a bit, this frame will never cease to be amazing

Icon
Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Elite Fan

i cheered for Dany over the first seven seasons, not just as a heroic type, but as an example that you are not just defined by your genes, nor a slave to them, but that you can rise above your genes, ancestors, family, flaws, and triumph in your own right, your own way, your own path. D&D destroyed that momentum in S8 with poor writing, rushed episodes, and complete disregard of the previous seasons setup and characterization.

i'm still stuck on Dany saying "i did not come here to be queen of the ashes!" no matter what is said by D&D, HBO, fan rant videos, and other venues, i just cannot accept the S8 debacle done to Dany.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
i cheered for Dany over the first seven seasons, not just as a heroic type, but as an example that you are not just defined by your genes, nor a slave to them, but that you can rise above your genes, ancestors, family, flaws, and triumph in your own right, your own way, your own path. D&D destroyed that momentum in S8 with poor writing, rushed episodes, and complete disregard of the previous seasons setup and characterization.

i'm still stuck on Dany saying "i did not come here to be queen of the ashes!" no matter what is said by D&D, HBO, fan rant videos, and other venues, i just cannot accept the S8 debacle done to Dany.

I usually drown myself in fanfiction whenever I feel this way

Icon
Old 05-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)

This is so true, I hate how they justify it with "well it's her crazy genes!", as if your family history means you are doomed. Not every Targaryen was mad, in fact most of them weren't according to what I have read.

I would have handled it much better if she wasn't built up as a flawed but heroic character for 7.5 seasons and suddenly changed, so maybe the books would be better if they ever finish (lol) if it's built up better, but the Dany we got in the show was just straight up butchered for plot convenience and to shock people. I am tired of being "shocked" by shows at the expense of the plot.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Alpha

Moderator of ...
Legacies

Our beautiful queen

https://thronescastdaily.tumblr.com/...er-as-daenerys