Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Loyal Fan

A Game of Thrones - RPG

Hello everyone, this thread is being started for:

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying - A Game of Thrones RPG Game.

In gamer circles I am know as "Penn", and I am a Die-Hard RPGer of some 41+ years. I currently have been collecting all the resources Game of Thrones based campaign world. For me I am basing a campaign based in Westeros. I will as the campaign DM/GM will alter the world in different ways to add more color and flare to the world. yes I will do things like having the Gods returning to the world and spreading their different faiths through Westeros and win the hearts and souls of the people. Magic will also return and grow in strength etc.

So here are a listing of some of the current resources out there:

- A Song of Ice and Fire - Roleplaying - A Game of Thrones, by Robert J. Schwalnb from Green Ronin Publishing www.greenronin.com
-Night's Watch - By Joseph Carriker from Green Ronin Publishing

-A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter by John Hay from Green Ronin Publishing

- Peril at Kink's Landing by Steve Kenson from Green Ronin Publishing

- A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying by Robert J. Schwalb from Green Ronin Publishing

- The Art of George R Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire - Volume One

- The Art of George R Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire - Volume Two

- The World of Ice & Fire - The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones

- The Lands of Ice and Fire - Maps from the King's landing to across the Narrow Sea

These are the main resources for this game world type campaign. Now the TV show is a added resource for the world. I am looking for other gaming resources for the world to add to my collection to add more color and back ground to the campaign. I also have all of George R Martin's books as well too, but are there any other books/resources out there.

Also if their are others willing to talk about Game Of Thrones ideas for expanding the world. I am thinking about having my campaign start at the point of when the TV show ends and write the ending slightly different than Season 8 will end.

I should also point out that I have been running my own campaign world now for over 25+ years with 4 groups of players that have played in it over the years. My current group of gamers (six long time RPGer players), that have been gaming with me now for over 7.5 years as the DM/GM.

So I am looking to create a new world and base it off the Game of Thrones game world of Westeros. I love Politics, clash of Gods, and the return of Magic to the world. There is a lot of campaign details there to build off of...good game materials to build on.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Welcome to Fan Forum. We used to have a Role Playing board, but that was closed due to lack of interest and people interesting in creating role plays were redirected to the boards for the individual shows. So I'll move this to the GoT board. The mods there may further redirect you to an established thread.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Loyal Fan

@Chris

Thanks I was posting in that area too, but I thought since that was really for the HBO TV show, and this was for Books and Writing, that I should place this thread here. I understand the Roleplaying area shutting down, as the gaming hobby has greatly changed over the years. Many of the Old Timers like myself have dropped out, I an a group of Old Die-Hards keep hanging on, but far to many New-Bee gamers are NOT of the same character as the Old Timers. Everything changes, including hobbies.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for opening the thread, ByGoneYrs!
I don't do RPG, but I hope you find posters around the board interested in joining you
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Loyal Fan

I am listing the Wiki link that lists a lot on the gods of The Game of Thrones world. I will list the URL for the Wiki link as well as Cut and Paste some of the details here too:

Religion - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

Here is what you will find mostly on that web page:

Westeros

Westeros has relatively few significant religions. They include:
The old gods, tied to the earth, are the gods of the forest, mountains and streams. They are nameless deities worshiped by the Northern population of Westeros, symbolized by weirwood trees. They are the oldest religion in Westeros, worshipped by the magical children of the forest before the First Men came to the continent and later adopted the religion.
The Faith of the Seven, the dominant religion in the Seven Kingdoms, is built around symbology of the number seven, the seven facets of the one god. Its many institutions and priesthood structure closely mirrors the way Christianity operated in the Middle Ages.
The Drowned God and the Storm God are the gods of the ironborn. The Drowned God is a harsh deity and his religion is a harsh one, favouring reaving and plundering in its name. Children are initiated into the faith by being drowned in sea water and resuscitated.
R'hllor, the Lord of Light, is a foreign faith from Essos and is little known in Westeros, though it has gained support in recent times. It holds a very black-and-white view of the world, with R'hllor being the one true god and the rest being demons that must be destroyed. Worship of fire is a key component.
Mother Rhoyne is worshiped by the remnants of the Rhoynar practicing along the river Greenblood in Dorne.
The Lady of the Waves and the Lord of the Skies were worshiped on the Three Sisters prior to the Seven.

Essos

In Essos across the narrow sea, it seems there are as many gods as there are peoples. In Braavos, one can find temples and shrines to almost every god one can imagine.[1] Named religions include:
Aquan the Red Bull, whose priests sacrifice calves.
Bakkalon, the Pale Child favored of soldiers
the Black Goat, a deity worshipped in Qohor.
the Great Shepherd, the deity of the Lhazareen.
the Hooded Wayfarer, a patron of the poor.
the horse god, the deity worshipped by the Dothraki.
the Lady of Spears, the deity of the Unsullied.
the Lion of Night, a god preferred by rich men.
the Many-Faced God of Braavos, believed to be the true face of all the gods.
the Merling King, a deity worshipped by sailors.
the Moon-Pale Maiden, a deity worshipped by sailors.
the Pattern, a labyrinth leading to wisdom.
R'hllor and the Great Other, a dualistic religion.
Semosh and Selloso, brother gods with twin temples.
the Silent God, who is worshipped at the Stones of the Silent God.
the Stone Cow of Faros, a deity worshipped on Faros.
Trios, a three-headed deity.
the Weeping Lady of Lys, a favorite of old women.

Here is more details from that same above Wiki link Religion page:

Influences and Theology
See also: Themes in A Song of Ice and Fire
Unlike J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire addresses religion in some detail and portrays several competing religions. More than any other novel in the series, A Dance with Dragons explores the different religions of Westeros and Essos. Each of the religions reflects its culture's temperament. George R. R. Martin based the series' faiths on real religions, tweaking or expanding them a little. However, no religion is presented as the true faith, although there are displays of power on many sides, nor do any have a monopoly on virtue.

Known influences include:
The old gods seem like an animistic religion.
The Seven bears some distinct similarities to the Catholic church in structure and organization. The Seven is an analog of the Trinity, having seven gods in one rather than three (Father, Warrior, Smith, Maiden, Mother, Crone, and Stranger), and complete with monastic orders, dormant military orders (Faith Militant), and a Pope/College of Cardinals (High Septon/Most Devout).
R'hllor is similar in many ways to Manichaeism and Zoroastrianism, with a strong dualism between the Lord of Light and the Nameless Other of Darkness, apocalyptic theology, and religious practice that is strongly intertwined with the use and symbiology of fire.
Some other religions are examples of polytheism, in which people attempt to understand forces of nature by giving them human shapes.
The Storm God and the Drowned God could be related to Norse mythology, encouraging the lifestyle of raiding and reaving just as the religion of the Vikings did.
The Mother Rhoyne religion is polytheistic worshipping of the Rhoyne and many lesser river-dwelling deities such as the Old Man of the River and the Crab King. The Rhoynar may be inspired by the Roma, to a degree.[2]

Martin tries to slowly reveal in how the many different kinds of magic in the Ice and Fire world may be manifestations of the same mysterious supernatural forces. This leaves readers free to wonder about the validity, teachings and supernatural power of the competing religions, allowing for a sense of wonder, for things that escape the net of explanation in terms of the physical sciences. Martin regards any religion's claim to truth with suspicion, as he does the claims of real religions. The series' gods, he said, are unlikely to appear deus-ex-machina in Westeros.

Now as I have stated that I am building a RPG campaign based with The Game of Thrones world and will have my campaign start after season 8 concludes for Game of Thrones HBO show. Depending on what happens in Season 8, I may rewrite certain aspects and alter the details/history that I base my campaign world on.

Now in my campaign I will have a lot of strife and conflict between Religions/Faiths and make the Gods a major plot within the world. I would have to say the Gods will awaken and send followers back into the world that have faith and God given abilities that aid to spread their faiths within the world to win the faith of the peoples of Westeros. That alone can add many plots and adventures that will help to feed a campaign world greatly.

Add in the return of Magic and all that can and will cause just adds to the scope of the campaign as well. Remember too that these Gods also use a type of God given Faith based Magic too.

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 08-11-2017 at 08:56 PM
Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Hey ByGoneYrs since the subject is about RPG, please post all things related to that in this thread instead of opening new ones so we can keep the board guide organized
Also, whenever possible, please if you were the last to post in a thread, edit your previous post if you have something to add to what you originally said instead of immediately posting after yourself. Thank you
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi Si...I thought there might me some size for how long a single post could be so I split it into two posts. As to the info, it is Information on the Gods for the actual books written by George R.R. Martin. I was just calling it out so people might talk about the topic is all. in my case I will use the ideas to expand on what I will do with it for Plots within Plots within Plots for my own campaign realm.

FYI anything I come up with is open to any to use, as I am just doing this for fun and for my own RPG campaign realm, where I will have my next group of gamers play within. I have been a RPG gamer now for over 41+ years, and have run and played many groups within my own campaign realm now for over 35+ years. I have built on my campaign over these many years, but have decide to design a new campaign background to set my game world within and I am basing it on Game of Thrones Westeros realm. I will use the Gods that George R.R. Martin came up with and just expand on them to fit better with a RPG campaign realm.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Moderator Manager

As far as I know, there is no size for posts, so you don't have to worry about that
That's all cool, and you can feel free to use this thread for that. I hope you get to design a nice campaign background and that posters will be helpful with the discussions. But as for the board, we try to avoid keep opening too many new threads, so if the subject already fits in an opened thread of the board, it's there that it should be discussed
Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Ok Si and thank you.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Loyal Fan

I tell you the Children of the Forest are a very interesting creature with the Westeros realm. I would call them FAE myself in a RPG realm.

Here is a Wiki link to details about The Children of the Forest:
Children of the Forest | Game of Thrones Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

For me in my use of them, I will use them as the FAE. They have Magic knowledge and know how to use it. With Magic returning to the lands of Westeros I will also have the FAE return or awaken and start to make themselves known once again. Follow the link and watch the videos and read the different elements about them and see what the Books have to say about them. I intend to expand on them greatly and tie in the Old Gods back into Westeros coming back to the lands and re-awakening.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Loyal Fan

Next I like the Giants of Westeros north of the wall.

Here is the Wiki link for their details: Giants - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

another good resource link for the giants is this one:
Giants - Game Of Thrones Wiki Guide - IGN
Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Loyal Fan

I will say that in fantasy there seems to be three different types of Dragons. You have the type that has four legs with wings, then we have Dragons that have four legs with no wings, and then we have the type in this show with two rear legs and instead of arms they have wings. I have never seen why they chose this type for the Dragons.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Loyal Fan

also it would seem that the Witch King and his ilk ride large Spiders, we have not seen them in the HBO show yet, but they are in the books.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Loyal Fan

I need to dig into Dragon's more, to get more details.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Loyal Fan

So what will we talk about for the next year or two...? I know we can talk about "what If"...and etc!!!