Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

4x05 “First of His Name” Episode Discussion (Airs May 4th)

Cersei and Tywin plan the Crown's next move; Dany discusses future plans; Jon Snow begins a new mission.

“ First of His Name ”
(4x05 Episode Discussion)

Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Master Fan

Can´t wait

Icon: Si_Crazy
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Elite Fan

tftnt

cant wait for Aunt Lysa & Petyr
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Absolute Fan

What a strange name for an episode that really was about the Starks. Unless it was foreshadowing of course to Jon Stark-Targaryen, First of His Name! Heh.

Small things

- the Lannisters source of wealth is drying up or has dried up. Interesting new info. VERY INTERSTING!
- loved the Cersei & Oberyn chat. I wonder if this leads to what was going to happen in the books.
- the Cersei & Marge chat was INCREDIBLY curious, especially given what their relationship is like from the books and what Cers thinks of Marge.
- FINALLY, some realistic news of the chaos Dany is leaving in her wake. We're 1/2 way through the season and leaving. ASOS for ADWD, should be interesting to see how the tv fandom reacts to the stuff from here.

Of COURSE they just tease the audience with a possible Stark reunion which doesn't happen! It couldn't, but nice little carrot dangled. I don't really get why Bran took possession of Hodor when he could have just warged Locke. Unless they're saying the simpler mind of Hodor is easier to control? Nice to have known ya, Locke. Plot device and made up character gone. It's interesting to see Jojen already getting sick.

JON AND GHOST REUNITED!!! Can we PLEASE get back to them sharing a warg/host relationship? Curious what happens to the sister-wives. Hardhome? That's all there.

Loved seeing Arya still saying the name of The Hound. She still blames him for the murder of Micah.

Sansa/Alayne, damn I love what comes next to bits. So damn much. Her realizing how horrible Lysa is, that her own family would still use her for her claim just like everyone else. Had to be a slap in the face. But so much love, Sophie looked so gorgeous while walking through the Vale.

Finally, the Lysa murdered Jon Arryn for Petyr reveal. Was not expecting that yet. LOVE! She's so bonkers. At least they didn't have him breast feeding, though I do still expect it since Sweetrobin does it still in the books.

Last edited by lemon tart; 05-04-2014 at 10:04 PM
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Passionate Fan

^ Yes, I found the Lannister gold thing to be pretty interesting too. So much of their power lies in their seemingly inexhaustible wealth...uh-oh....

And yes, my understanding is that Hodor is easier to control...more like an animal, I guess? Also, if he had warged Locke, what would that have achieved, really? I guess he could have cut his own throat or something, but short of killing him, he would have come back for Bran as soon as he regained control. Poor Hodor, he is so not a killer.

Loved the Sandor/Arya scenes, though I kind of disagreed with their choice to have him backhand her like that. I'm not sure book!Sandor would do that. I don't know...I find their interactions so fascinating though. Sandor obviously has a soft spot for her, and Arya IS warming up to him a bit, but she is still clinging to her revenge as well. I had to laugh at her "oh *****" moment when Needle didn't go through his armor. I think he was almost insulted/hurt that she actually tried to stab him!

Cersei was more likeable than I usually find her in this episode.

Brienne and Pod were so cute and adorable.

Well at least Dany is still paying more attention to Jorah's advice than Daario's...I was pleased to hear about the repercussions of her actions as well.

Littlefinger/Lysa......and really, who the heck sounds like that during sex?! She sounded like a stuck pig...hardy har har

~Katie~
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM
New Fan

Director Interview

if you guys are interested, I spoke with director Michelle MacLaren about the episode.

A few highlights

She, David and Dan wanted last week's Craster's Keep stuff to be particularly brutal so the violence this week would feel justified:

"These guys are horrible and they are doing horrible things. I don't believe in gratuitous violence. I think it has to serve the story. It's got to be justified. I was talking to David and Dan, and we decided when we see these guys in episode four, it's got to be horrible. They've gone over to the dark side. So when Jon and his guys show up, we want them to take these guys down. We want them to rescue the wives at Craster's Keep, and I think we've wanted that for a long time."

She wasn't worried the audience might not really remember the stuff from the pilot referenced in the episode:

"In these highly serialized shows, you have to trust and hope your audience is following along. Audiences are really, really smart and you want to give them some credit for being invested in the storyline, and not throwing everything out really easily for people. There are these moments when you go 'wait, what did they say? Oh! That's because in season one this happened and in season two this happened.' "

Full interview:

'Game of Thrones' Director on Jon Snow's Battle: 'Justified' Violence - Hollywood Reporter
Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

1 No Tyrion - FAIlL!
2 Lysa & Petyr delivered
3 Jon & Ghost
4 Ugh where's the Stark reunion!
4 Brienne & Pod!
5 Dany's sl is finally getting majorly inetersting
6 No news but Sophie is a beauty

more later
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon (View Post)
^ Yes, I found the Lannister gold thing to be pretty interesting too. So much of their power lies in their seemingly inexhaustible wealth...uh-oh....
Well it would be interesting if Tyrion did end up as Lord of Casterly Rock and it turned out to be worthless. I've long felt he wouldn't because while he may be GRRMs favorite he has a very realistic view of the horrible things Tyrion has done and I doubt he would reward Tyrion with everything he's ever desired. Just doesn't fit with how GRRM writes or the story he's told thus far.

Or maybe it's that everything re Tyrion brings me back to him never doing what Gerion did and taking a sack of gold, leaving and making his fortune on his wits. Interesting if there aren't any sacks of gold left to have. That in seeking a good boy pat on the head from Tywin he waited too late.

Quote:
Loved the Sandor/Arya scenes, though I kind of disagreed with their choice to have him backhand her like that. I'm not sure book!Sandor would do that. I don't know...I find their interactions so fascinating though. Sandor obviously has a soft spot for her, and Arya IS warming up to him a bit, but she is still clinging to her revenge as well. I had to laugh at her "oh *****" moment when Needle didn't go through his armor. I think he was almost insulted/hurt that she actually tried to stab him!
I think it's that her hatred has gotten her thus far, it's how she's survived, with that it's hard to let it go. This is my absolute favorite part of her journey thus far, but she's still a pay day to him - or he hopes she is - which she sees.

Quote:
Well at least Dany is still paying more attention to Jorah's advice than Daario's...I was pleased to hear about the repercussions of her actions as well.
Heh, I think Daario gives her some of the best & most practical advice she gets. Tends to be fairly brutal, but then this is an incredibly brutal world. She just tends to never listen to him. But did you mean Barriston not Daario? Daario didn't really give advice, just told the Second Sons had taken the Meereeneese Navy. While Barriston gave her ridiculously pie in the sky advice that has little basis in fact even if he was most recently in the Seven Kingdoms.

Loved seeing Barriston portrayed as the unthinking boot licker he is.

Last edited by lemon tart; 05-04-2014 at 10:06 PM
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Total Fan

I love you Pod and how proud you are!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

http://37.media.tumblr.com/bc35de75f...ijfxo2_400.jpg

Last edited by NOLA504; 05-05-2014 at 05:12 AM
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 AM
Master Fan

Favorite scenes in this ep:
Cersei/Marg
Dany/Jorah
Jon/Ghost

Icon: Si_Crazy
Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawen (View Post)
Favorite scenes in this ep:
Cersei/Marg
Dany/Jorah
Jon/Ghost
Same

Also cool to have Lysa Arryn back and finally to know how Jon Arryn died.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tart (View Post)
I've long felt he wouldn't because while he may be GRRMs favorite he has a very realistic view of the horrible things Tyrion has done and I doubt he would reward Tyrion with everything he's ever desired. Just doesn't fit with how GRRM writes or the story he's told thus far.
I hope so. It isn't that I hate Tyrion or something, but I don't want him to get what he wants. No one else has.

Quote:
I think it's that her hatred has gotten her thus far, it's how she's survived, with that it's hard to let it go. This is my absolute favorite part of her journey thus far, but she's still a pay day to him - or he hopes she is - which she sees.
I agree, and I know they aren't buddies by a long shot...but I think when Arya asked him what he would do if Gregor was there, and Sandor looked at her, he actually considered giving her a real answer. But he isn't quite ready to open up yet. I really enjoy their relationship progression.

Quote:
Heh, I think Daario gives her some of the best & most practical advice she gets. Tends to be fairly brutal, but then this is an incredibly brutal world. She just tends to never listen to him. But did you mean Barriston not Daario? Daario didn't really give advice, just told the Second Sons had taken the Meereeneese Navy. While Barriston gave her ridiculously pie in the sky advice that has little basis in fact even if he was most recently in the Seven Kingdoms.
Oh, I didn't mean that Daario gives her bad advice(or any on this particular day). My motive for saying "glad she picked Jorah" is simply that I've been gritting my teeth a bit with how Dany has been batting her eyelashes at Daario this season. I was just pleased that she still acknowledged Jorah as her oldest friend among them.

Sometimes it seems like for Barriston, loyalty is approving whatever the king/queen says, whether it is wise or not. And that sure isn't what Dany needs. He would better serve her by being just a bodyguard, or to give her a fairly current picture of where the 7 kingsdoms are at.

~Katie~
Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Elite Fan

lol If GRRM writes some ****ty finale for Tyrion hopefully D&D write another, more favourable end for tv

Quote:
Also cool to have Lysa Arryn back and finally to know how Jon Arryn died.
no breastfeeding tho
i was expecting it

Quote:
I love you Pod and how proud you are!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I hope so. It isn't that I hate Tyrion or something, but I don't want him to get what he wants.
Nope, they haven't. Which is why I've long felt that Jaime would end up having to rebuild the Lannister line - if anyone does - because it's exactly what he doesn't want. Also why I think if there's an actual monarch on the IT at the end it'll be Jon - because all Jon has ever wanted is to be a Stark and live at Winterfell. Book theory, not a book spoiler, tagging for politeness sake.
Spoiler:

He's not Aragon seeking to reclaim his throne, only way he'd do it is because it's the only way to get the rest of the Kingdoms focused on the fight for survival that Jon has been dealing with since the beginning and the IT has been assiduously ignoring or mocking.

Which is why I don't think anyone seeking the IT at this point will get it. As GRRM has said, in the end the game aspect is a distraction. The IT is pointless as is the desire to possess and keep it. Because the game & it's players are ultimately fiddling while Rome begins to burn.

One thing I've learnt over the years in my rereads is no one gets what they want. No one.

Quote:
Sometimes it seems like for Barriston, loyalty is approving whatever the king/queen says, whether it is wise or not. And that sure isn't what Dany needs. He would better serve her by being just a bodyguard, or to give her a fairly current picture of where the 7 kingsdoms are at.
Ah, gotcha. But then, that's Barriston. He's never had to think for himself - or at all. He's just an excellent swordsman whose guarded men who did the thinking, or were supposed to. Strategy is something he's never even had to contemplate. He's not overly intelligent, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by science girlfriend (View Post)
lol If GRRM writes some ****ty finale for Tyrion hopefully D&D write another, more favourable end for tv
But in the end they can't, as we're seeing this season. For all their ignoring of his myriad crimes his story has to head somewhere specific which they're now having to furiously retcon to get to.

Tyrion getting everything he ever wanted to find out it's worth absolutely nothing would be a hilariously fitting end for him and very GRRM. Ironically, first set up by D&D themselves, since this info about the Westerlands & Casterly Rock isn't in the books as of yet and has made me contemplate a different end for Tyrion & Jaime for the first time in a very long while.

Last edited by lemon tart; 05-05-2014 at 08:55 AM