Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

4x04 “ Oathkeeper” Episode Discussion (Airs April 27th)

Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Meera (Ellie Kendrick) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn) stumble on shelter.

“ Oathkeeper”
(4x04 Episode Discussion)

Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Master Fan

Jaime tasks Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) with his honor.

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Elite Fan

tftnt

Last edited by science girlfriend; 04-27-2014 at 11:46 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

White Walkers!!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Master Fan

I KNEW that's what the Others were doing with those baby boys. That's how they breed! CREEPY.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Absolute Fan

SER POUNCE!! The greatest knight in the land! Best part of the episode, tbh. Haha! Now I just need Lady Whiskers & Boots, but I think I might just have to settle for Ser Pounce.

As someone who's read the books multiple times and participates in the book fandom I was confused for much of the episode. I'm not completely sure what's going on or where they're heading, especially with the northern story. I'm withholding judgement on that part in particular. Though I find it highly improbable that they captured Ghost. I'm hoping that they're finally going to get back to the warging abilities of the rest of the Starks.

The whole Others thing at the end was so cool, and completely new to me. More later. I need to rewatch because I'm not completely sure what just happened.

But WTH in the preview? Arya's going to stab The Hound?? Really? That's so bizarre if it happens.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Master Fan

re: the North & Others stuff, I imagine they just don't know what to do with Bran for the next season to season & 1/2. They got him north of the Wall FAR too quickly, so now they have to stall for time.

I guess.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

imo 4x03 and 4x04 are barely recognizable as using ASOIAF for the source material.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutesse (View Post)
imo 4x03 and 4x04 are barely recognizable as using ASOIAF for the source material.
They're definitely having to improvise a lot. I don't mind little things, like Daario taking Belwas's place as Dany's champion at Meereen's gates, or Brienne naming Oathkeeper. Don't mind little non-canon additions, like Missandei teaching Grey Worm the common tongue. But some stuff is very WTF?? How are they going to introduce Dany's realization about Jorah's "betrayal"? And the whole thing with Bran captured and the direwolves in cages and...just, what? Are they going to bring Coldhands into the picture?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Absolute Fan

One of the biggest things that's likely now going to happen is Jon & Bran are going to meet and Jon's going to end up letting him go. That's so bizarre. Not only does he know Bran's alive - something Jon still doesn't know in the books - but knowing that he's going to then let Bran, Jojen, Meera & Hodor go. That's just so odd.

Also, Hodor's now injured. How's he going to manage as a beast of burden for long? We haven't seen a hint of Coldhands to this point.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think they're going to do Coldhands at all.
Yeah, it's the stuff with Jon and Bran and Samwell/Gilly, too, that is bugging me the most. And the wolves, of course.
Minor things like Kat mentioned, fine. But the Wall and beyond is a complete rewrite.

This weird thing with the baby? Well why not.

Cogman wrote this episode? He should be drawn & quartered.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
This weird thing with the baby? Well why not.
Now this, I'm inclined to believe will have actual relevance in book canon, since B&W have been told things by GRRM himself. One of the more popular theories was that the Others were using the baby boys to make more Others.

But Locke being at the Wall? WTActualF???? What are they hoping to accomplish with that?

Quote:
Cogman wrote this episode? He should be drawn & quartered.
Cogman wrote the episode, but he didn't storyboard the season. That's on B&W. Cogman can only write what they tell him to write, and I think he did a wonderful job w/the dialogue.

For example, I was MORTIFIED that the Margaery/Tommen scene was going to get icky, in a damn hurry. This being HBO, and B&W being who they are, I was expecting her to start doing a striptease right there in the middle of his bed. When they said goodbye, I thought "oh she's gonna kiss him, GROSS", but she just gave him a kiss on the forehead. I thought that was perfect. In the book, Tommen is what, 5 or 6?, and he and Margaery do become friends, without the sexually suggestive actions between them; this scene, IMO, did that justice, even though they've aged both characters significantly up.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Extreme Fan

I think Tommen's 9 in the books, but still. And I do agree that it seemed like they changed a lot from the books starting in this episode, like with the stuff north of the wall, and with Dany. However, some people say Dany and Bran's stuff around this time starts to drag, so it might be something of a necessity for the time being?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Elite Fan

lmao I cant with Dany being all giddy about Grey worn & Misandei(sp?) potential romance
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKat055 (View Post)
Now this, I'm inclined to believe will have actual relevance in book canon, since B&W have been told things by GRRM himself. One of the more popular theories was that the Others were using the baby boys to make more Others.

But Locke being at the Wall? WTActualF???? What are they hoping to accomplish with that?

Cogman wrote the episode, but he didn't storyboard the season. That's on B&W. Cogman can only write what they tell him to write, and I think he did a wonderful job w/the dialogue.
Yes, of course the White Walkers have been replenishing their numbers out of Craster's baby boys, but who are these strange beings who are creating them? Where did THEY come from?

ok, I'll give you Cogman. My disappointment got the better of me.

The Margaery/Tommen scene could've been icky but it was quite sweet. And of course, all the J/B stuff was lovely.