Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

HG Movie News/S&S #2: Set decorator? Check. Release date? Check. Now onto the casting!

Hunger Games Movie news thread #2

Post the latest news on HG here.

Latest News/Specs

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss exclusive?
Hailee Steinfeld Has Met With 'Hunger Games' Director - MTV Movie News| MTV
Larry Dias: HG set decorator
50 actors have auditoned for the role of Katniss so far

Last edited by water lilies; 03-02-2011 at 05:45 PM
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

Thanks for the new thread, Belle

Like I said on the previous thread on Hunter.

He is, in May. But his role on Weeds is pretty small, so I would think he would have time to film HG and go back and forth.

So I don't think there is a problem for him auditioning. Plus, maybe they are looking for actors that have worked with Lionsgate before, as apparently WB was produced by the company, so that's probably why they are looking into JL.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Weeds is done by LG, right? If so, he has a chance. If they're going for JL, I'm definitely crossing my fingers for Hunter. He's the perfect Peeta.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

Yeah it is I think he has a chance too. I like that he is quiet about it, even though I wish there was some news about him auditioning.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Master Fan

Going from the last thread..I don't want JL as Katniss
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

More news on casting

Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin vie for THG lead

With the Oscars over, two of this year's up-and-coming nominees are being considered for the hottest female role available at the moment: the lead in "Hunger Games."

Sources tell Variety that 2010 Academy Award nominees Jennifer Lawrence and Hailee Steinfeld -- as well as Abigail Breslin, nominated for "Little Miss Sunshine" -- are all vying for the Liongate tentpole, due next March 23.

While no offer has been made, insiders say that Lawrence has generated the most interest.

Studio has Gary Ross directing and Billy Ray set to pen the script that Lionsgate hopes will be the next "Twilight"-like franchise. Source material is the hit book series by Suzanne Collins, which takes place in a dystopian future where a young girl joins a survival contest to save her community.

While "Games" is still a couple months from production, the lead role has become an important piece in what direction the film takes. The most significant is whether Ross wants his lead to play older or younger.

The character is described as a woman between 15 and 20, and that's key -- sources tell Variety that age is a big factor in Ross' decision, as it will impact the audience demographic and other casting.

Lawrence, 20, who was nominated for a best actress Oscar for her role in "Winter's Bone," would make the part more of a young adult than Steinfeld or Breslin, who are both 14.

The choice will have a domino effect on the casting of other roles, such as who plays Peeta, Katniss' love interest. Casting that role younger would be more of a challenge, with less names available in that range.

Another factor is time: the mini-major needs to act fast on either Lawrence or Steinfeld, as both are on the lookout for their next big projects to capitalize on their Oscar exposure.

In a pre-Oscars red carpet interview, Steinfeld not only mentioned meeting with Ross, but the "True Grit" star and supporting-actress nominee also said her team was weighing options -- a hint that she's considering other projects.

Lawrence has been linked to several high-profile pics including Oliver Stone's "Savages" and Warner Bros. "The Seventh Son."

A decision may be weeks away. Lionsgate is still working out pic's budget, which could delay the decision.

Source
Quote:
"The Hunger Games Casting Controversy! Looking for White "Underfed" Girls"

Debra Zane, one of Hollywood's top casting directors, is in charge of casting the flick. On a website run by Breakdown Services, her staff posted the filmmakers' broad criteria for Katniss:

She should be Caucasian, between ages 15 and 20, who could portray someone "underfed but strong," and "naturally pretty underneath her tomboyishness."

Hmm.

If you've read the books, Katniss is described as having dark hair, olive skin, with gray eyes. True, when we read it we imagined the character to probably be Caucasian, but don't you think some of it was purposefully left open to interpretation?

Dedicated fan communities online sure have. They've debated over what exactly Katniss' ethnicity is for like, ever.

As Moviefone best phrased it, the question isn't, "Is Katniss white?" but "Could Katniss possibly be anything other than white?"

Sure, Katniss may be a Hailee Steinfeld type (after all, her grandfather was half black and Filipino), but we think the book still gives a wide range of interpretation for the casting process!

Plus, the lead heroine is athletic, not simply "underfed."

We say let's look outside of the Hollywood cookie cutter box!

Source
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I dont like how Debra Zane described her. Not the way Katniss was described.

NO to Abigail. Hailee we've heard before. And I like Jennifer but I don't know if she was TEH look! You knwo?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

I agree But I guess that's what she is looking for.

I think Hailee and Abigail are too young. If they are going for Jennifer, then they are aiming for an older audience.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by living destiny (View Post)
Yeah I dont like how Debra Zane described her. Not the way Katniss was described.

NO to Abigail. Hailee we've heard before. And I like Jennifer but I don't know if she was TEH look! You knwo?
Agree with all of this.

I'm hoping these "front runners" are just a smokescreen for someone else. If not, I think TPTB are being a little lazy and uncreative, JMO.

ETA:

Quote:
Are you an actress, between the ages of 10 and 25, and mildly to moderately well-known? If so, there’s a good chance you’ve been rumored to be the front-runner for the role of Katniss Everdeen at some point or another. It’s true that the opportunity to play the protagonist in the movie adaptation of the massively popular Hunger Games has a whole lot of Hollywood up-and-comers vying for the spot, but a source at Lionsgate has confirmed to EW that, despite all the chatter, there are no frontrunners at this point.

They also confirmed to us exclusively that approximately 30 actresses have either met or read for the role, including some of the most bandied-about names, like Jennifer Lawrence, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, and Chloë Moretz, as well as Lyndsy Fonseca, Emma Roberts, Saoirse Ronan, Skins U.K. star Kaya Scodelario, Emily Browning, and Shailene Woodley. From Kick-Ass to True Grit to TV’s Nikita to the upcoming Hanna and Sucker Punch, these ladies have plenty of gritty butt-kicking on their resumes, which will come in handy to play the bow-and-arrow-wielding Katniss, but it’s clear that the studio is casting a wide net. In the first book, Katniss is 16 years old, and the ages of those named here range from 14 (Moretz) to 24 (Fonseca). And, from the looks of it, you’d almost be hard-pressed to name which young, talented actresses aren’t under consideration for the role.

So while casting talk is heating up, we’ll still have to wait to find out who will be playing the girl on fire. Still, this is more than ample fodder for speculation.
Source

Last edited by wanderer78; 03-03-2011 at 11:52 AM
Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I do not like many of those names on that big list. Good lord. What are they doing Just let us cast.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

Thanks for posting that. It seems like they are looking at a lot of girls.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

At least Kaya's mentioned in the EW article. Lots of names being dropped in that article. It's basically almost every young known actress out there.

Finally, some legit news being reported in a trade paper. I like Abigail, but I personally don't find her well suited for the role at all. She must have had an amazing audition, but just based on what I've seen, she's my least fav out of the three mentioned in Variety.

Lainey's still saying that Jennifer seems to be favorite, way ahead of the others. And also reports on Saorise Ronan: Saoirse Ronan challenges Jennifer Lawrence in role of Katniss for The Hunger Games 03mar11
Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
K-Pop

I saw. I'm excited they are considering her. I'm not surprised Emily Browning is in the list, she seems to be in a lot of YA book adaptations

The only two I don't really think have the acting chops to play Katniss on that list is Emma Roberts and Shailene Woodley.

Yes, I agree about Abigail. I can't see her as Katniss.

I'm kind of glad that Malese, Jodelle and Alyson aren't on the list. The twitter campaigns and annoying tweets must of put off the studio on them.

I saw. I like Saorise, but she seems more suited for Madge than Katniss
Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT!

At least we're getting some articles out now.

I don't see Abigail as Katniss either. I love her, but I don't see her in this role. Same with Emma Roberts. It just doesn't feel like a match for me.
Icon: Unknown
Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Emily Browning = original Bella Swan!

I don't even know who Shailene Woodley is, but I agree about Emma Roberts (and I like her). With some of the other actresses mentioned, I am more impressed by the others' works.

I put Saorise in the same category as Jennifer Lawrence look-wise. Both really talented actresses, but not actresses I would have thought of when I think of Katniss. I guess it'd help when they have dark hair.

I'm glad about the twitter campaigners too, to be honest.