Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callalily (View Post)
Thanks Adie! And not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Cory is on the cover of this weeks Us Weekly.
I started to cry when I saw him on the cover of magazines..
Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I know you're all still in shock and are grieving right now. While we may question the actions of some people, please remember to be respectuful. Cory had a difficult life, and was an amazing man. Let's focus on that, rise above this and make him proud to have us as fans.
My sentiments exactly. Let us just remember Cory for his talent and humanity and let go of any negativity.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

this article is on point

Quote:
Following “Glee” star Cory Monteith’s death from a mixture of heroin and alcohol, there's renewed interest in how drug dependent individuals should re-enter society after completing treatment programs.

Monteith, who is from Canada, had struggled with substance abuse since his early teens, and had completed a drug rehab program in April. Since then he was widely photographed with his girlfriend, actress Lea Michele, at public events and on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. He died in Vancouver.

The circumstances surrounding his death are seen by some addiction experts as evidence that he needed follow-up care and monitoring. The reason, it turns out, is more complex than you might think.

Dr. Ravi Chandiramani, medical director at Journey Healing Centers, in Scottsdale, Ariz. and Salt Lake City, said the treatment centers with the greatest records of success are those that take a holistic approach that includes a clear focus on follow-up care.

He also suggests that individuals should seek facilities that are fully accredited and that routinely include guidance in aftercare.

“We first recommend a good percent of the time that people must leave their home environment to seek treatment, because it may be the environment that contributed to their disease,” said Chandiramani.

“But as important as the treatment itself is, there must be a strong relapse prevention program and good aftercare planning during the time the individual is getting grounded in their sobriety. In Cory’s case there was probably not adequate time away from the environment that fostered his addiction. That could mean he simply did not have the required expertise with the tools he needed to recover.”

Monteith, 31, who had previously been through treatment for drug abuse when he was 19, completed the most recent stint on April 28. He then immediately left for the Mexican vacation with Michele.

The lack of follow-up care and monitoring may have contributed to Monteith’s death, but some experts lay the blame squarely at the doorway of the treatment facilities.

While it is not known what facility Monteith used, Dr. Carl Hart, author of “High Price: A Neuroscientists Journey of Self-Discovery that Challenges Everything You Know about Drugs and Society,” said simple ignorance may have played a part in Monteith’s death.

“He didn’t die because he was using heroin,” said Hart, a professor of psychology at Columbia University and substance abuse research scientist at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, as well as a member of the National Advisory Council on Drug abuse.

“He died because he combined it with alcohol. In treatment programs, people sometimes do not get the proper education. The 28-day approach to drug rehab is ignorant because when people are addicted to drugs they have problems, but we act as though the drug is their problem. There are problems in their life in general, even without that drug, but often in treatment professionals act as if the drug is the whole problem.”

Monteith’s drug use reportedly began after his parents divorced. When he became a public figure, he was open about his ongoing struggle with drugs. While his family, girlfriend and colleagues are all reported to have been fully supportive of his efforts to recover, Chandiramani believes that those who comprised his support system needed to be involved in his treatment and recovery.

“The ideal would be to have had those family members integrated into the treatment process,” he said. “They typically are given fundamental education on the disease of addiction, along with information on relapse prevention."

"Individuals in the spotlight like Cory find themselves overcompensating when they leave treatment so they don’t lose their fame, credibility or opportunity for additional success. That puts more pressure on them, and often they don’t get the foundation of recovery that they need to build on before they jump head first right back into their previous environment.”
Did Cory Monteith Need More Care After Rehab? : Discovery News
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Going to read it now...

To think about this situation, I THINK, now, maybe in few months or so, rehab SHOULD add a class for family and friends and significant to educate them about how to handle addicts especially when they get out of rehab. I mean addicts lie all the times to protect them and that they are ashamed to admit it, you know, saying I am fine, I am good, I am okay, etc just to make them believe them so they can go outside alone and this happens, you know.

I think Lea, I am not blaming her, NOT ONE BIT, but I personally think she was naive and she made a mistake trusting him too much when he probably told her that he was fine to go to Canada all by himself, ALONE, which was the problem. I could say same about Ann but since Lea have been with him more than his mother, so I don't know.

Anyways, my point is rehabs should add classes for those people who need to be aware of situations so those horrible tragedies would be prevented. Take it as Lea's mistake to not do that to another person and that person will feel worst when it's not even her/his fault, it just...yeah, it sucks and all the guilt and whatifs would be all on that person's head so not only addict's life would be short but someone who was naive would be affected hard based on mistakes of trusting that person.

So I think they should think about adding some classes for that so they can be aware of situations and how to keep an eye on them and how to handle them if they want to go outside by themselves and etc, it's very, very serious situation that should be considered.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
“He died because he combined it with alcohol. In treatment programs, people sometimes do not get the proper education. The 28-day approach to drug rehab is ignorant because when people are addicted to drugs they have problems, but we act as though the drug is their problem. There are problems in their life in general, even without that drug, but often in treatment professionals act as if the drug is the whole problem.”
Yeah, Leyla, we talked about this and looks like it just confirmed my suspicious. Damn, if only he was getting that kind of help other than just "addiction" he would have felt whole lot better with his confidence and self-esteem issues. I think he has self-esteem issues which is why this happened. Of course, everyone was too focused on him getting sober, getting clean, etc but ignored the fact that he had emotional problems which caused him to relapse. Sad, sad that this is too late to be fixed because everything could be prevented if he was having counselor of his own based on everything, his life, his self esteem, everything, not just drugs. He would get sobriety fix, obviously but he would need counselor on other issues as well.

I KNEW right away that he had those problems because he acted out when things hurt him badly, hence his parents' divorce and his dad walking out on him and his family that led him to act out. So this time, what made him act out by turning to drugs? Yeah, something must be really bad to hurt him that much that he would turn to those. He wouldn't just randomly turn to them for no reason. He had a good reason to feel so worst about himself to turn to those. Poor bb, my heart is so broken for you that you are so broken. But at least you are at peace now.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Total Fan

The sad thing about addictions is they take time and patience to get over. Changing one's environment, thoughts, feelings, etc. helps but time is needed. Unfortunately, from reports, it sounds like Cory visited his hometown, so his environment reverted, he met up with old friends, so old thoughts and feelings came back, etc. If you're trying to get over something, it's those triggers that can cause problems, and it seems it was those triggers that blocked Cory's mind from all the hard work he accomplished.

A diet for example - you work hard to loose weight, staying away from certain foods. All of a sudden you find yourself in your favorite restaurant where they serve your favorite dessert. A voice inside your head says, "Just try one bite, one bite won't hurt, you deserve it for all your hard work." Your inhibitions give way and you're suddenly scarfing down the entire thing. Then, feeling like a failure, you just say, "What the heck," and eat something else you know you shouldn't. It's then like starting all over to get back on the diet, and it takes time.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

That diet analogy is perfect.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
A diet for example - you work hard to loose weight, staying away from certain foods. All of a sudden you find yourself in your favorite restaurant where they serve your favorite dessert. A voice inside your head says, "Just try one bite, one bite won't hurt, you deserve it for all your hard work." Your inhibitions give way and you're suddenly scarfing down the entire thing. Then, feeling like a failure, you just say, "What the heck," and eat something else you know you shouldn't. It's then like starting all over to get back on the diet, and it takes time.
The way you said it kinda made us look at addicts in a whole new lights. Not that we were ever judging them or anything but what you said was just perfect. Perfect comparison.

At same time, it made me feel really, really bad for Cory. I mean he obviously struggled with that every single day since he got on them when he was only 12 years old and now he was stuck with addiction disease for rest of his life. And what you just said about mind games and such really broke my heart thinking that's exactly how it happened with him everyday when he tried to fight back.

And you are right that he shouldn't be alone in Vancouver when it brought back bad memories, like with his past and bad environment which is why I never understood why he went there in first place, especially being alone for A WEEK. That's one question that bugged the hell out of me is why was he there for a week knowing that it's a high risk for him to relapse and seeing old buddies who he wasn't supposed to see or even talk to, urgh. I hate this. I hate that he just had to go there knowing the risks and this time, being alone with nobody to stop him.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSD (View Post)
Yes! Like others have said, you're right on point! I actually wrote an article about this once (I own an health website). The crazy thing is, when someone is dealing with a really big and serious addiction, people are often times like: OMG, just get yourself in rehab already! What's wrong with you? Get a grip and if you just continu to use/drink and don't get help right this second, you're simply a coward and it's your own fault. I've even seen (unfortunately many) comments like this online regarding Cory's passing.

What's absolutely crazy to me (besides posting those kind of comments), is that quite a few people can't even manage to keep a healthy weight theirselves but do feel like they have a right to comment on someone else's addiction issues. They don't realize that, in a way, battling a drug addiction is like following a diet... only a billion times harder (most of the time). So while many people find it perfectly acceptable when a diet fails (because of reason X, Y and of course also Z), they do think drug addicts should just go to rehab and 'deal with it'.

How many diets fail (eventually)? Like 95% right? Let's all evaluate our own shortcomings before we see easy solutions for someone else's.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina (View Post)
How many diets fail (eventually)? Like 95% right? Let's all evaluate our own shortcomings before we see easy solutions for someone else's.
So true. Often times people find fault in others because they don't like themselves. When I hear people talk negatively about someone I take a close look at the person doing the talking, their words reflect heavily on them. I'm probably misquoting the Bible but I believe there is a verse that fits well here saying something like - let he who is without sin throw the first stone.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's so true. People shouldn't judge them for that when they themselves can't even help either for other things too.

This one will help you look at addicts in perspective. Thought I would share with that.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

people are so judgmental nowadays anyway they don't understand, don't even try to understand and just criticize
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

YES YES YES! Everyone has their personal demons. It doesn't mean they weren't a good person or anything like that. Some people just find it harder to deal with then others.
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by words left behind (View Post)
That's so true. People shouldn't judge them for that when they themselves can't even help either for other things too.

This one will help you look at addicts in perspective. Thought I would share with that.
What an excellent article, thanks for sharing.

A quote from Eileen Brennan, an actress who died on July 28 at the age of 80: "We get addicted to dull the pain of life," she told the magazine. "But once we accept that life is tough and painful, we can move on and grow and evolve."

That speaks so much about dealing with addiction.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've watched a lot of movies and documentaries on addiction the past couple days and it's crazy. It's like a billion times harder to keep sober than to keep a strict diet (and that's hard too). The withdrawals and everything, especially for something as hard as heroin. It's really hard. Makes people go crazy.

Rehab isn't everything. Rehab is to detox you which is a painful process too. Like what happens after is what's important. You need to get a lot of love and support, you need to not be left alone for 3 months at minimum, you need to see counsellors and therapists, and go to AA meetings and everything. There's a lot of after care that needed to be done. Unfortunately most people surrounding him and even us are only educated about this after this tragedy. I definitely feel people around him, the closest people, should have been more educated about this and not left him alone rather than give him threats and ultimatums and not let him work or whatever.

Cory was probably extremely worried on Friday night after he went out with friends and broke his sobriety. I don't think he drank or did the heroin until he got to his hotel at 2 am. The other one came first with his friends, whether it was drinking or doing heroin together. Because he couldn't have done both out otherwise he'd have died in the clubs. It's the mix of alcohol and the drug that killed him. It wasn't an overdose. I'm 100% positive that Cory knew that mixing the two would be lethal. He's been to rehab. He's very educated on addiction issues. He's not dumb. Now he might have been too drunk and vulnerable to care or he might have intentionally done that because he felt so vulnerable and worried when he broke his sobriety again. Worried what will happen to him when he came home. Him and Lea were gunna move in together officially but she said she won't live with an addict and gave him an ultimatum. He was probably worried about losing her. He was going to go back on Glee but we know from Ryan's interview how worried he was of losing his job and he was probably worried again cuz he'd have to go to rehab for 3 months. Less shooting for Finn. He was probably worried about his public image. He must have been worried and vulnerable about EVERYTHING at that point. So I don't blame him one bit for turning to alcohol/drugs then and even taking his own life away intentionally if that happened. I have a hard time believing it was an accident because he's not dumb and he knows this stuff. And I feel people just say that not to taint his image more but also to not feel responsible. Hollywood, FOX, his parents, everyone would be questioned if it was said it was suicide. So I think that's more saving grace for them.