Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Host Problem

Mods, feel free to merge this into a different thread - if there's one that's more suitable.

My website is hosted by Anywherehost and I've had absolutely no problems until this past month. They've changed their servers, and since they have, my website insanebuffyfans hasn't worked. I can't contact them because my email address doesn't seem to be recognised when I try and log in to log a support ticket. I can't find another way of emailing them, but I have found a way to cancel my subscription so I think I'm going to do that.

My question is... what will happen to my domain name when I cancel it? Can I get it back with a different host? I don't understand how it works.

Last edited by Scythe; 09-15-2007 at 04:57 AM
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Master Fan

You can transfer your domain to another host. I'm hosted with Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux! now and if you sign up there you have an option which says to transfer the domain to them. They also say you need to change your nameservers (which I think you have to do with any hosts you move to), but I wasn't able to do that (I couldn't do that at my old host) and that wasn't a problem too. It only took a little longer to movie the domain.
I hope this helps you. I don't know much about this stuff as well, but it worked, so I'm sure you'll be able to do it as well.

I'm only going to heaven if it tastes like caramel
Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Master Fan

do you have your domain and hosting with them? if you do it may be more difficult. if you registered in two different places you can do exactly what denisetjuh1 said, just transfer hosting to a different location.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jen - your website is up now, I can see it now
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by n e r b l e (View Post)
do you have your domain and hosting with them? if you do it may be more difficult. if you registered in two different places you can do exactly what denisetjuh1 said, just transfer hosting to a different location.
They're at the same place unfortunately

Kelly, none of my subdomain's are working & I still can't log in.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's weird
Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by n e r b l e (View Post)
I had my domain and hosting plan at the same place too and it worked for me too. So maybe it's possible for Jen too.

I'm only going to heaven if it tastes like caramel
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Master Fan

well it definitally wouldn't hurt to give it a try. i'm assuming there are different contact rules for taking over domains and hosting between companies.