Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

~ 3.11 “Kahu” ~ December 17 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!

3.11 “Kahu”

“Guardian”

AFTER SOMEONE FOOLISHLY TRIES TO CARJACK McGARRETT, HE AND CATHERINE MEET A BOY WHOSE FATHER IS MISSING AND MAY BE IN DEADLY TROUBLE IN THE BACKWOODS OF OAHU, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, DEC. 17 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

George Takei (“Star Trek”) Guest Stars as Chin’s Uncle

CHEAT TWEET: Hey Trekkies! Maybe we should retitle the series HAWAII FIVE-OH MY! @GeorgeTakei guest stars as Chin’s Uncle! 12/17 10PM ET/PT CBS Press Express | AFTER SOMEONE FOOLISHLY TRIES TO CARJACK McGARRETT, HE AND CATHERINE MEET A BOY WHOSE FATHER IS MISSING AND MAY BE IN DEADLY TROUBLE IN THE BACKWOODS OF OAHU, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, DEC. 17 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

“Kahu*” – After someone foolishly tries to carjack McGarrett, he and Catherine meet a boy whose father is missing and may be in deadly trouble in the backwoods of Oahu, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Dec. 17 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. George Takei (“Star Trek”) guest stars.

(*Kahu is Hawaiian for “Guardian”)

Of note, George Takei guest starred (photo on left) on the original “Hawaii Five-0” series (“Death’s Name is Sam,” original airdate Oct. 10, 1975) as Nathaniel Blake, a police officer who is asked to impersonate another man who has committed suicide in order to bring a criminal to justice. His character in this current episode of HAWAII FIVE-0 has no relation to Nathaniel Blake.

SERIES REGULARS:
Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan (Danny “Danno” Williams)
Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly)
Grace Park (Kono Kalakaua)
Masi Oka (Dr. Max Bergman)
Michelle Borth (Catherine Rollins)

RECURRING CAST:
Taylor Wily (Kamekona)
Dennis Chun (Sgt. Duke Lukela)

GUEST CAST:
Tristan Lake Leabu (Ethan Awana)
Juan Gabriel Pareja (Moku Bradford)
George Takei (Uncle Choi)
Andrew Elvis Miller (Bruce Awana)
Lew Temple (Stuart Rizzi)
Kainalu Hecomovich (Local Tweaker)
David Rees Snell (Freddy Schumaker)

WRITTEN BY: Noah Nelson
DIRECTED BY: Bryan Spicer

Last edited by Immunity; 01-13-2013 at 03:00 PM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

I hate it when there is this stupid cliché kid with no one to look after, so the cast of the show has do do it.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Moderator Manager

In my opinion this was the weakest episode of the season so far.

Don't get me wrong, there were things that I loved! But at the same time there were a lot of bad.

The beginning although pretty funny with the carjack attempt and Cath and Steve discussing what's romantic and what's not was very interesting. But here is my problem with it, why are the writers trying so hard to make Steve a lousy boyfriend?! Up until this season he knew exactly what a romantic date was (remember the picnic at the beach in season 1, or how about suggesting a trip to Mumbai just to meet?), and now that Cath is around he just has amnesia and all of a sudden thinks that eating on the car with rock music is ok?!!! Bad move writers! And I know that this was just to set up for the end scene, but still way too OOC for my likings. Oh and Steve, please, swallow before you talk, speaking with your mouth full is not attractive.

Now that tha's out of the way, the carjacking was hillarious, specially Cath saying "Steve! Crazy guy with gun!" her face was adorable. And it gave a good opening for Steve to go to the HPD and meet the kid. On a personal note, I like Duke Lukela and all his small apparitions...

Ok, back on track, the kid of the episode was too annoying! I didn't like him and TBH didn't really felt all that sorry/sad for him in any scene. And the crime of the week didn't interested me at all! Truthfuly I was so bored throughout it all that I can't even get into details about it here lol

Danny helping Kamekona buy the hellicopter was funny! I really liked Danny's negotiation skills
And speaking of Danny, I was really sad for him when he said it was the first Christmas that he would be away from Grace... And very nice of Steve to invite him over to spend Christmas with him, very ohana!

I'm still intrigued as to why Chin Ho was the only one digging, there were like 4 police officers holding shovels in the background and they just stood there looking at him.... Now the scene with Chin all covered up with the pig's and Steve and Danny laughing was priceless!

I'm loving the fact that we're seen the Steve and Danny being partners with Chin and Kono for a change. It's a good thing for the dynamic of the 5-0. And I admit that Chin and Danny are always awesome, and adding Max to mix is just perfection!

George Takei's participation as Chin's uncle and moonshine maker was amazing! I loved that part. I'd like to see him again, because he was very peculiar without being over the top.

I missed Kono on this episode... I was expecting her to with the guys on that raid, but no joy I've said it before and I'll say it again, the writers need to balance screentime better, every episode it's like there's a lack of Chin or Kono. And since this episode Cath was the star, I'd love if she and Kono had shared more scenes. Let the girls be friends!!

Now the best part of the episode IMO was BAMF Cath! The girl is so kickass, and her moves are off the charts! The whole fight scenes was really exciting! You go girl!

Now one thing that I do notice throughout the whole case was that the team was always late with every tip.... so they only solved and caught the guy because of luck and it had nothing to do with the investigation on itself. Very lame crime of the week.

The ohana scene at the ending, specially Max's not knowing what "high mile club" is, was adorable and very fitting for Max's character. It's always good to see them spending time together.

And all the Steve/Cath's scenes, the ending in particular, was super sweet. About time Steve did something nice (romantic) for Cath, that was long overdue!
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved the episode.

A nice Christmas eppie Cath/Steve, they are showing them more as a couple they are so adorable together. Ohhhh Steve you are so clueless some times how in the world can a breakfast in your car in the parking lot romantisch. But I had a feeling he was teasing Cath we all know Steve can be romantic remember he picked a flower for her and made it up to Cath when their weekend was disturbed by an crime case Steve decided to go with Cath on the Enterprise. My feeling is that Steve always had planned to take Catherine out for dinner to celebrate the end of her leave's.
We also saw see a little bit more how the Steve/Cath relationship develop, which has been interesting, Cath even admitted he's her boyfriend.

What really got to me though, was when Steve said to Cath when they were in HPD that getting to the truth hurt and that the boy will find out sooner or later if the father did commit the crime, how clear it was that Catherine was thinking of the information she was withholding from Steve about Doris.

The Christmas dinner cargument was so McDanno snarky but hearts in the right place. I loved that Steve invited Danny and was happy to hear Cath would be there to. A McGarrett Christmas dinner!

Chin and the pig juice was funny, Danny and Steve trying not to laugh in front of the suspect and then him apologising to Chin . Found it a bit weird that Chin grabbed the shovel and began to shelves afterall it was a crime scene right!

Danny and Kamekona buying a helicopter was also very funny I notice TC's helicopter from Magnum PI in the background when Danny was dealing with the salesman? how wonderful would it be when Tom Selleck would make a cast appearance and if I may choose as Cath father then

Catherine kicked major, major ass.

And Alex wearing a tux is always a plus for me he looked so HOT!!

Max still dating Sabrina

The bad:

Not much Kono but I can live with that we saw her alot in previous episode.

After having a wonderful Lucy last week this week the litte boy was annoying He and the man who played his father were such bad actors IMO!

The scene where Cath getting the money out of her purse and then leaving it there with the boy. was stupid everyone could see from a mile away what would happen next.

I would have loved to see at the end Steve, Cath, Doris and Danny at McGarrett house having Christmas dinner together

I wish they didn't give us the complete ending scene this was the second time we had this also in Halloween episode we got the end scene in a sneak.

This was an episode I will enjoy a few more times

A winterbreak for at least 4 weeks

I wishing you all the joys of the season. Wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2013.

Last edited by Immunity; 12-18-2012 at 11:46 AM
Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like the episode, not LOVE, but I guess I enjoyed it. My favorite part was Steve/Cath, and seeing Danny/Chin work a case together, but otherwise, episode was okay for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Extreme Fan

I wanted to comment sooner but I was dealing with the blizzard that hit our area. Did I mention I hate snow? So I've been a bit stressed.

A good eppie. There was a lot to like about it.

Random Thoughts:

Well, it's official Steve is clueless when it concerns women. It is almost as if he wants a pal not a girlfriend. The scene was handled well; Catherine got her point across without being bitchy and I think I saw the light bulb go on over Steve's head. You have a point Si_Crazy, I thought Steve came off a lot better than this. Then I remember this is the first time he and Catherine have been together on a more consistant basis and it is easy to be romantic once in awhile than putting forth an effort all the time. I don't think Catherine would have minded eating in the car if Steve would take her to a restaurant once in a while.

Loved the car jacker coming up. Catherine's reaction was priceless: "Steve! Crazy guy with gun!" and Steve basically telling him to wait while he finished his conversation made me laugh out loud and then the whole scene with the police station shows us that Super SEAL isn't too far away. It was my favorite part of the eppie.

Loved George Takei and was disappointed with only one scene. Hopefully we can see more of him.

Danny and Kamekono were pretty funny together buying the copter and Kamekono calling buying a helecopter without having the licence first a mere technicality was funny AND scary at the same time.

Loved Max mentioning taking Sabrina on a ride. He so cute and good continuity.

I felt bad for Danny spending Christmas without Grace (actuallly I was kind of disappointed she wasn't in the eppie), and I didn't mind his snarky comments toward Steve. What a crappy Christmas for him. It was nice of Steve to invite him over with Mom, him and Catherine.

I thought the boy was a little annoying too and I saw him stealing out of Catherine's purse a mile off (Catherine, Catherine, Catherine, you are too trusting). I thought her scenes with Ethan was quite touching and good.

Chin getting covered with the pig juice made me laugh and his face was priceless.

Not enough Kono but she was featured a lot last week and she was there at the end.

I always love Ohano scenes and I loved last nights. Watching Steve carry off Catherine to a REAL date warmed my heart and made me think there was hope for him yet. 'BOUT TIME MCGARRETT!!!!

Quote:
how clear it was that Catherine was thinking of the information she was withholding from Steve about Doris.
I agree.

And to me Lena, I thought how poignant the last scene will be when Catherine and Steve hit their rough patch.

IMO, I think when Steve does find out, it is going to hit him harder than most. After all, this is the person he cares about, completely trusts and has had a physical relationship with. I wouldn't be surprised if their rough patch lasts awhile what with Steve's trust issues.

Stupid Doris.

Happy Holidays to one and all
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Glad you are okay Lori

Quote:
And to me Lena, I thought how poignant the last scene will be when Catherine and Steve hit their rough patch.

IMO, I think when Steve does find out, it is going to hit him harder than most. After all, this is the person he cares about, completely trusts and has had a physical relationship with. I wouldn't be surprised if their rough patch lasts awhile what with Steve's trust issues.

I agree Steve will need a long time to get over that Cath withhold him info about his mom.

When Peter said this summer that Steve and Cath will face some rocky times I expected by now they already would have it and after seeing this episode with a happy Steve and Cath. I am scared what January will bring us for them

Quote:
Loved Max mentioning taking Sabrina on a ride. He so cute and good continuity.
Love it to but about the continuity H5O has much to learn I found it weird how they showed Chin in this last episode he looked happy especially in the last scene when Steve took Cath with him they all were clapping and smiling and then to think about it that last season the Christmas episode Chin and Malia got married.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Danny and Kamekona buying a helicopter was also very funny I notice TC's helicopter from Magnum PI in the background when Danny was dealing with the salesman? how wonderful would it be when Tom Selleck would make a cast appearance and if I may choose as Cath father then
Was supposed to be Quote.

I noticed the same thing @Immunity. I even went to MagnumI on Netflix and been watching episodes to see it. Magnum talks about 5-0 a lot on it. But even T.C, Rick or Higgins would be fun to see, They can still use Robin Masters Estate?

I feel bad Danny and Grace won't be together for Christmas either. Danny being Invited to Steve's is a nice touch. Chin Ho, hopefully will be with Kono. But she will probably be with Adam.

All the rest I agree on, Boy was a little annoying.

Surprised to Chin dove right into the fresh dirt and got sprayed. Stev and Danny's looks were priceless.

(Dennis Chun ,the original Chin Ho Kelly's,son )(Kam Fong Chun), does a good job as Sgt. Duke Lukela. I do wish he would work with 5-0 more often.

Catherine kicking Stuart Rizzi's butt was real cool. We have seen Kono kick butt before. They would make a good pair on cases. it is also nicer to see as mentioned before that Chin and Kono should work with Steve and Danny more often. Split up the teams.

George Takei (Uncle Choi)part was small but nice, maybe he will be on future episodes. Him being on the original Series even not as this character is nice to see.

Story was a little hard to follow with all the characters, Bruce Awana, getting in trouble with Stuart Rizzi, and his problems with Moku Bradford and Darren Hodges. Started with moonshine, then on to the money problems from the robbery.

Ethen taking Catherine's money, sure we could see it. But she said to Steve she could handle it after he was found? But he did escape.

Very nice ending with Santa Kamekona bringing the free rides even though he don't have license. Chin should have been thoughtful about his loss after Steve carried Catherine away. Maybe even to Kono recognizing it.

Last edited by webruce; 12-20-2012 at 05:19 PM Reason: Hit enter to soon.
webruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfor5-0 (View Post)
Well, it's official Steve is clueless when it concerns women. It is almost as if he wants a pal not a girlfriend. The scene was handled well; Catherine got her point across without being bitchy and I think I saw the light bulb go on over Steve's head. You have a point Si_Crazy, I thought Steve came off a lot better than this. Then I remember this is the first time he and Catherine have been together on a more consistant basis and it is easy to be romantic once in awhile than putting forth an effort all the time. I don't think Catherine would have minded eating in the car if Steve would take her to a restaurant once in a while.
I agree... it's not like Cath wants him to take her out to a fancy place everyday.... it's not the place that made me cringe, it's he trying to argue that eating in the car with plastic fork is romantic or that he doesn't understand the logic of a picnic being romantic even if it has no waiters.... that was foolish and I felt it was very OOC for him.

Quote:
Loved George Takei and was disappointed with only one scene. Hopefully we can see more of him.
Same here.... I really liked him as the peculiar uncle, but it was indeed a small scene.

Quote:
Happy Holidays to one and all
Happy Holidays to you too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity
Love it to but about the continuity H5O has much to learn I found it weird how they showed Chin in this last episode he looked happy especially in the last scene when Steve took Cath with him they all were clapping and smiling and then to think about it that last season the Christmas episode Chin and Malia got married.
Oh yeah... it would be their anniversary, so it would've made sense if he was shown a little sad....
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

First of all welcome here webruce

Quote:
I noticed the same thing @Immunity. I even went to MagnumI on Netflix and been watching episodes to see it. Magnum talks about 5-0 a lot on it. But even T.C, Rick or Higgins would be fun to see, They can still use Robin Masters Estate?
I was a huge Magnum fan back in the day's and Tom Selleck awww
Higgins was one of my fav. I even loved his scary dogs

Quote:
I feel bad Danny and Grace won't be together for Christmas either. Danny being Invited to Steve's is a nice touch. Chin Ho, hopefully will be with Kono. But she will probably be with Adam.
First I was a bit pissed on Danny I found him ungrateful toward Steve by saying "Ï'll will not try to kill myself" but yeah! who want to spend Christmas with Doris I certainly not.

Quote:
(Dennis Chun ,the original Chin Ho Kelly's,son )(Kam Fong Chun), does a good job as Sgt. Duke Lukela. I do wish he would work with 5-0 more often.
I agree Duke is the best he is always great with Steve, Chin, and Danny

Quote:
Catherine kicking Stuart Rizzi's butt was real cool. We have seen Kono kick butt before. They would make a good pair on cases. it is also nicer to see as mentioned before that Chin and Kono should work with Steve and Danny more often. Split up the teams.
I sure hope we get Kono and Cath pair up for a case maybe some undercover stuff would be awesome!

Quote:
I agree... it's not like Cath wants him to take her out to a fancy place everyday.... it's not the place that made me cringe, it's he trying to argue that eating in the car with plastic fork is romantic or that he doesn't understand the logic of a picnic being romantic even if it has no waiters.... that was foolish and I felt it was very OOC for him.
I still think Steve was playing with Cath in the car he already had big plans for the night. That is the only explanation I can give for this scene because that was not the Steve I know.

Quote:
Oh yeah... it would be their anniversary, so it would've made sense if he was shown a little sad....
It's bother me now for quit some time how they portray Chin that man lost his wife not by a accident but she was murdered coz of his work and all I see is him smiling and working if nothing bad happend.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
I still think Steve was playing with Cath in the car he already had big plans for the night. That is the only explanation I can give for this scene because that was not the Steve I know.
Well, if he was just playing Cath, it wasn't a very good scene IMO. I loved the carjacking, but the first moment with just Steve and Cath all I wanted to do was smack Steve's head for being so dense.

Quote:
It's bother me now for quit some time how they portray Chin that man lost his wife not by a accident but she was murdered coz of his work and all I see is him smiling and working if nothing bad happend.
Continuity along with lack of proper character developments are my major issues with this show. I love H50, but to be honest the writing is far from stellar. Sometimes I wish there would've been a complete change in the writers team (it's a little harsh, but so true IMO)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Glad you are okay Lori
Thanks Lena It's the driving and it isn't good

Quote:
I don't think it would have been so bad if the plastic forks et al were accompanied by a picnic basket, blanet, wine the ocean.....

Quote:
First I was a bit pissed on Danny I found him ungrateful toward Steve by saying "Ï'll will not try to kill myself" but yeah! who want to spend Christmas with Doris I certainly not.
Danny was probably just feeling sorry for himself. Danny isn't a big Doris fan and in that regard Lena I could completely understand him not going over. I wouldn't.

Quote:
Well, if he was just playing Cath, it wasn't a very good scene IMO. I loved the carjacking, but the first moment with just Steve and Cath all I wanted to do was smack Steve's head for being so dense.
I don't think he is playing her, I think he is just clueless. In defense of Steve, as I stated previously, it is alot easier to be romantic once in a while than on a consistant basis. This is probably the first time they have spent this much time together and maybe Steve has become complacent. Actually it could be considered a compliment; Steve feels comfortable enough with that he doesn't have to make a show. It really isn't a excuse; he should put in more effort.

Quote:
Continuity along with lack of proper character developments are my major issues with this show. I love H50, but to be honest the writing is far from stellar. Sometimes I wish there would've been a complete change in the writers team (it's a little harsh, but so true IMO)
I agree. Sometimes I wonder if they ever watch the show. I never thought about Chin watching Steve and Catherine. The only thing I can think of is that Chin is the type of person to put his personal feelings aside for Ohana.

Quote:
Girl power!!!
I think they are making an effort. Danny/Chin and Steve/Kono in the last couple of weeks.

Quote:
When Peter said this summer that Steve and Cath will face some rocky times I expected by now they already would have it and after seeing this episode with a happy Steve and Cath. I am scared what January will bring us for them
There will be plenty of angst that's for sure. I wouldn't surprise me if Steve didn't talk to Catherine and was cold to her when their paths cross.

Last edited by Crazyfor5-0; 12-21-2012 at 06:40 AM Reason: Pushed the wrong button and wanted to add more.
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

5-0 12-17-12

Quote:
First of all welcome here webruce

Thank you very much. I join back when CBS dumped the Forums but then forgot about it. until now.

I was a huge Magnum fan back in the day's and Tom Selleck awww
Higgins was one of my fav. I even loved his scary dogs

"Higgins!!!!?" "Zeus and Apollo, nice lads." And Higgins smile.

True Danny didn't seem to thankful.

I agree Duke is the best he is always great with Steve, Chin, and Danny

I agree 100 percent.

I sure hope we get Kono and Cath pair up for a case maybe some undercover stuff would be awesome!

Yes it would be cool. That's what i thought about the crossover with NCIS:LA, if they had working together, Kono and Kensi. Deeks would have had a field day with the jokes and leers.

I came in when Steve and Cath were with Ethen , so I have to rewatch it.

It's bother me now for quit some time how they portray Chin that man lost his wife not by a accident but she was murdered coz of his work and all I see is him smiling and working if nothing bad happened.
Yes forgot it was 1 Year Anniversary, but he should have looked a bit lost.

Some were quotes. I guess i have to work on my editing.

Last edited by webruce; 12-21-2012 at 11:30 PM Reason: came out wrong.
webruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Thank you very much. I join back when CBS dumped the Forums but then forgot about it. until now.
You're welcome..... didn't know CBS dumped the Forums I posted there only at the beginning of H5O but left and came here

Quote:
Yes it would be cool. That's what i thought about the crossover with NCIS:LA, if they had working together, Kono and Kensi. Deeks would have had a field day with the jokes and leers.
I was dissapointed that only two team members from each team was send to Hawaii and LA. I love both shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webruce (View Post)
Yes forgot it was 1 Year Anniversary, but he should have looked a bit lost.

Some were quotes. I guess i have to work on my editing.
Yeah that was whay I was missing some feelings by Chin now he act if nothing bad had happens in his life.

You can use this if you want to quote someone or put the quote between this [QUOTE]text [/*QUOTE] without the *

Last edited by Immunity; 12-23-2012 at 02:30 PM
Reply   Post New Thread