Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

~ 3.06 “I Ka Wa Mamua” ~ November 12 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!

3.06 “I Ka Wa Mamua”

“In A Time Past”

WHEN DANNY IS FORCED TO REMAIN COMPLETELY STILL WHILE BOMB TECHNICIANS DISARM A BOMB, HE TELLS McGARRETT THE STORY ABOUT HIS TOUGHEST AND MOST EMOTIONAL CASE FROM HIS DAYS IN NEW JERSEY, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, NOV. 12 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

Sydney Tamiia Poitier (“Private Practice”), Terrence Howard (“Crash”), Rapper T.I. and Reality Star Kendall Jenner Guest Star in This Episode

CHEAT TWEET: Danny tells #McG a story he’ll never 4get and neither will U 11/5 10PM ET/PT CBS Press Express | WHEN DANNY IS FORCED TO REMAIN COMPLETELY STILL WHILE BOMB TECHNICIANS DISARM A BOMB, HE TELLS McGARRETT THE STORY ABOUT HIS TOUGHEST AND MOST EMOTIONAL CASE FROM HIS DAYS IN NEW JERSEY, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, NOV. 12 ON

“I Ka Wa Mamua*” – When Danny is forced to remain completely still while bomb technicians disarm a bomb that he has accidentally activated, McGarrett distracts him by getting his partner to tell the story about his toughest and most emotional case from his days as a cop in New Jersey, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Nov. 12 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Sydney Tamiia Poitier (“Private Practice”), Terrence Howard (“Crash”), rapper T.I. and reality star Kendall Jenner guest star in this episode.

*I Ka Wa Mamua is Hawaiian for “In A Time Past”

SERIES REGULARS:
Alex O’Loughlin …Steve McGarrett
Scott Caan …Danny “Danno” Williams
Daniel Dae Kim …Chin Ho Kelly
Grace Park …Kono Kalakaua
Masi Oka …Dr. Max Bergman
Michelle Borth …Catherine Rollins

RECURRING CAST:
Teilor Grubbs …Grace Williams

GUEST CAST:
Sydney Tamiia Poitier …Grace Tillwell
Terrence Howard …Billy
Tip “T.I.” Harris …Ray
Jeremy Luke …Nicky Bova
Kendall Jenner …AJ
John Colton …Secretary of Defense
Joseph Dubiel …EOD Soldier #1
Mark Wilson …EOD Soldier #2

DIRECTED BY:Sylvain White

WRITTEN BY:Ken Solarz

STORY BYeter Lenkov

Promo and Sneak Peek

Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Elite Fan

Lena Thanks for the thread
I am so excited to see this episode
I love Dannys Daughter.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT!
And I love Gracie too! I always like her scenes, it's so cute!
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Your both welcome Della and Si

Can't wait to see the father daughter dance tonight

Happy Five-O Day!! Everyone!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Passionate Fan

Holy moly, I cried at the end of the episode.. Seriously geeez
Talk about a gripping episode!!!!!

I'm Megan!
Megz1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

After watching the episode, I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite episodes this season. The flashback to 2001 was a good change of pace, and we got to learn more about Danny, particularly the reason why he named his daughter "Grace," and that very significant date the flashback occurred...I teared up a little at the end.

Overall, the episode was exciting, with everyone contributing his or her share, including Max and Catherine. Loved the snippy quips being traded all around, from Kono and Chin's mention of Danny's dancing, to Catherine's "Lt. Catherine Rollins, assistant to Steve McGarrett" snark greeting on the phone--Danny's reaction was priceless.

My only complaint was why the adorable Teilor Grubbs is still being billed at the end credits, while they gave that Kardashian girl second billing for a "guest" appearance that lasted less than a minute?

Danny dancing with Grace at the end was a definite "awwwwwww" moment.
imbyerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Moderator Manager

I have to admit that at first I had mixed feelings about this episode. I was excited because I knew it was going to be a Danny centered one, but worried that Chin and Kono wound't have many screentime.
Now I can safely say that I LOVED it! The mix between flashbacks and what was happening on the present was very balanced.

The opening was intense, and that chase was really good! To be honest I could go without the Middle East terrorism thing, I think it would've been more interesting if it was a case involving a bomber nutcase or something like that.
The military ceremony gave me goose bumps. Beautiful scene!

Max was very focused trying to reassemble the body. But I thought it was really great that he was the one that recomended the dress shop to Danny. Apparently they are closer friends than we've been led to believe.

The ohana moments were also amazing and it makes my day when they're all in action (and we got that twice in this episode, so Yay!). They sort of making fun of the memory of Danny dancing in Chin's wedding was priceless. Speaking of which, where is Chin's dark place that we've been told was going to happen after Malia's death? He was really sad in like 2 episodes and then nothing else, no mention, no strange reaction.... Continuity, please!

I'm curious to know what's going on in the custody thing that Rachel and Danny are going through. Danny did say that the threat of an attack was the only thing that made them being cordial towards each other, so I'm assuming that it is a real battle. Would've been nice to see them adressing to that soon, after all it was Danny's big cliffhanger from the season finale.

And I'm really unhappy with what the writers are doing to Catherine. Seriosly they brought her in as a regular just so she could be Steve's favour girl?! That's lame! One good point is that they are making it look like Cath is getting tired of it, but it's also making it look like Steve is a lousy guy. And I feel like Cath and Steve were more connected when she was away than now that she's around. Last week when they were making out and Steve was more interested in the movie than that, it was wrong in way too many levels. Made him look a little like a jerk or a teenager.

I think it's a fun fact that Danny chooses not to do a lot of things, which doesn't mean he can't do them (swimming, dancing), it's gives a sort of insight on his personality. And I absolutely loved hearing his laugh
The Danny and little Gracie moments are the best! They're always cute, and I love that everytime it shows more how much he loves her. It was great seeing in the flashbacks that Danny got discombobulated by the news that he was going to be a father. Oh yeah, nobody messes with his daughter, even if it's just a picture of the ultrasound. Very papa bear! And absolutely adorable!

Terence Howard and TI were awesome as the two bad guys from Danny's past. On a side note, I always enjoy seeing BAMF Danny, and he taking out the three guys was awesome.
And even though his partner didn't speak a lot, I did like her very much. When she was shot it was a really sad moment, specially finding out that her name was Grace and therefore the origin of Gracie's name was priceless., The icing to the cake was finding out that it was September 11th.... all the feelings. Can't imagine how long Danny had to wait there for help to come. Kuddos to Scott Caan, because I could really feel his anguish. Also perfect music score!
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
New Fan

I honestly didn't know what to expect from this episode. But I just watched it and it was certainly amazing, one of my favourite episodes for sure. I just loved it.

From the moment that Danny said "You just said the T-word." I was kind of expected that 9/11 was going to happen in the flashbacks. But it certainly didn't went down as I expected to. God, I kind of want to know what happened to Danny after the flashback was cut.

And then Gracie, I loved the adorable moments between Danno and his monkey. He just shows his loves for her clearly, it so cute!. And her name. My, my, her name. Finding out Danny's old partner is called Grace made his daughters name just perfect, it fits with Danny's personality to do that and the name fits Grace.

I also liked the team moments a lot and the small McDanno moments. I especially liked the team pestering Danny with his dancing skills on Chin's wedding. But indeed like Si_Crazy said: please elaborate on Chin dealing with Malia's death.

The only thing that irked me was Catherine. It's like she's only in Hawaii so that Steve can use her intel more. I really like her but to me it feels a little bit like she's just being used. But Cath is seeing that too so maybe it won't be long before this favour asking thing stops.

In total it was an amazing episode. I enjoyed seeing BAMF Danny, the banter and the adorable Grace moment in this episode.
Calmity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

This was good. This was just sooo good. Definitely in my top 5 and the highlight of the season so far. Last week was good too. Continue on getting better again, H50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmity. (View Post)

The only thing that irked me was Catherine. It's like she's only in Hawaii so that Steve can use her intel more. I really like her but to me it feels a little bit like she's just being used. But Cath is seeing that too so maybe it won't be long before this favour asking thing stops.

She's definitely seeing it! Every week she just seems more and more tired of Steve (constantly asking her for favors). I'm sensing trouble sometime soon. Though I must say I couldn't care less about anyone's love life and I'd prefer if they didn't concentrate on it which they will.

Yolanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Holy Cow!!! ...What a terrific episode. One of the best sofar this season Loved it! Loved It!

Loved the opening scene with Danno & Grace shopping. ….. I can understand Danny's rant about his daughter growing up in a world where you can't get on an airplane without being searched. He is a father and as a parent myself you always be scared something bad can happens with your kid.

The flashbacks into Danny's past was fantastic, especially learning how Grace got her name,and the tie-in to 9/11. I understand Danny now so much more he sure lives in borrowed time if it wasn’t the attack on the Twin Towers that day Danny would be dead ...... We learned what makes Danny Danny..... Hilarious that Danny had/has 2 partners who love to drive his car!! poor guy

As far as the Steve/Danny bomb scene, it was great. I liked that they showed the way that Steve really does care for Danny and Steve having tears in his eye’s knowing it was so close that he could lost Danny brought tears in my eye’s too. And it says a lot that Danny wants Steve to be Grace’s father figure if anything were to happen to him.

Loved the Ohana moments in this episode we got nice scenes from all of the main characters was great we got more of Kono and Chin compare to last week.

Was it me or was Catherine a bit annoyed when she saw who was calling her she hesitated to pick up her phone maybe she get a bit tired of Steve for calling her only if he needs another favor

The father daughter dance at the end was too cute, I thought using the One Direction song was realistic too for Grace's age.

I thought Scott's acting was phenomenal..and Alex also showed his great acting skills in this episode well done guys

Flashback episodes can be confusing but this one flowed perfectly. Kudos to the writers and directing for a job well done!!

Last edited by Immunity; 11-14-2012 at 01:13 PM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
New Fan

I thought it was a good episode but I'm really not liking the charred body parts - again. This seems to be becoming the writers favorite 'shock value' gimmick. I don't think any younger viewers - and older ones for that matter - need to be hit with pretty realistic burned human corpses every so many episodes. The writers are VERY creative and hopefully will look for something else to shock the audience with.
five-ogirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Extreme Fan

A great eppie!! Flashbacks can be confusing but this was handled, as Danny telling Steve his story, quite well.

Random Thoughts:

Although terrorist stories are always bothersome, but this was handled very well; not confusing and tense and exciting.

Aren't Danny and Grace just too cute together? I always love their interaction; it brings out Danny's softer side.

Both Scott and Alex's acting was spot on!!

Although Steve and Danny bicker and needle each other, the bomb scene shows me really what good friends they really are.

I was kind of afraid that Chin and Kono would be shoved into the background but both got good screentime.

Gosh can Danny take a beating

Now we saw who Grace was named after.

The whole guest cast was top notch. If I am not mistaken, I think Sydney Poitier is Sidney Poitier's daughter

Quote:
While I do like Catherine, when I heard she was going to become a regular, I was a little concerned what her role would be outside of just being Steve's girlfriend. Outside of her becoming the fifth member of 5-0 which I would rather not see, IMO her role will probably remain limited to assisting Steve in whatever way she can.

Spoiler:

Quote:
She's definitely seeing it! Every week she just seems more and more tired of Steve (constantly asking her for favors). I'm sensing trouble sometime soon. Though I must say I couldn't care less about anyone's love life and I'd prefer if they didn't concentrate on it which they will.
It is too bad Steve can't call once in a while just to arrange a dinner date or something with no strings attached. I am sure Catherine will get fed up with it and will have to make a decision whether or not she wants to continue this relationship.

Did everyone see the promo for next week? Don't they look misleading to anyone besides me?

Spoiler:
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfor5-0 (View Post)
Did everyone see the promo for next week? Don't they look misleading to anyone besides me?

Spoiler:
Yes I saw it looks to be a great episode was very surprized of what we saw in the promo

Spoiler:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
Yes I saw it looks to be a great episode was very surprized of what we saw in the promo

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Elite Fan

So excited. Sounds like this is going to be a great episode. It is airing tonight here in Australia.

It's Elementary my dear Watson
foreva_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread