Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

~ 3.04 “Popilikia” ~ October 15 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!

3.04 “Popilikia”

“Misfortune”

THE FIVE-0 INVESTIGATE WHEN A POLO PLAYER LITERALLY LOSES HIS HEAD, AND DORIS McGARRETT PAYS AN UNEXPECTED VISIT TO HER SON, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, OCT. 15 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

Christine Lahti Returns as Steve McGarrett’s Mother, Doris McGarrett

CHEAT TWEET: #H50 fans, Mamma McGarrett is back but what is she hiding? 10/15 10PM ET/PT http://bit.ly/QfWpqD @Christine_Lahti returns!

“Popilikia*” – Doris McGarrett (guest star Christine Lahti) pays an unexpected visit to her son while the team investigates the death of a polo player who literally loses his head, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Oct. 15 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(*Popilikia is Hawaiian for “Misfortune”)

SERIES REGULARS:
Alex O’Loughlin.... (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan.... (Danny “Danno” Williams)
Daniel Dae Kim.... (Chin Ho Kelly)
Grace Park.... (Kono Kalakaua)
Masi Oka.... (Dr. Max Bergman)
Michelle Borth.... (Catherine Rollins)

RECURRING CAST:
Taylor Wily.... (Kamekona)
Brian Yang.... (Charlie Fong)
Christine Lahti.... (Doris McGarrett)

GUEST CAST:
Robbie Amell.... (Billy Keats)
Arielle Kebbel.... (Nicole Carr)
Bai Ling.... (Esmerelda)
Kevin Carter.... (Al Reingold)
Sarah Finley.... (Amanda Madsen)
Jere Burns.... (Spencer Madsen)
Guy Wilson.... (Jake Madsen)
Jack Dimich.... (Randy Thorpe)

WRITTEN BY: Stephanie Sengupta
DIRECTED BY: Christine Moore

Promo/Sneak Peek

Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

Really liked the scene between Catherine and Steve at the beginning of the episode. Not liking Mama McGarrett though. She's so entittled it makes me angry. But I guess that's where Steve gets it from.

I'm finding that any Danno interaction with Max or Chin or Kono is my favorite part of the new episodes. I loved the Danny/Kono moments.

Yolanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Still weird shift at work, so I couldn't cathc much beside bits of the beginning (ick the headless horseman, but Steve/Cath) and whent hey amde the arrest at the end...

Hope to be able to watch soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Still weird shift at work, so I couldn't cathc much beside bits of the beginning (ick the headless horseman, but Steve/Cath) and whent hey amde the arrest at the end...

Hope to be able to watch soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Loyal Fan

From the moment I saw the bed at the first scene, I was like "I love bed scenes!" Especially bed scenes with Cath and Steve. I like Cath's don't be such a caveman comment.

I think the case is good. It was unpredictable. I enjoyed Kono and Danny's scene with the psychic. Chin's reaction to Mom McGarett is quite cute and funny. But after a few episodes I'm really not liking Doris's behavior. I don't know, there's something off about her attitude.
Liyah08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Loved this episode--the case was somewhat low-level, but the entire episode gave off a Season 1 vibe, something that I truly missed. Kono and Chin got lots of solo moments, and the McDanno moments were toned down for a change.

Really, really loved the Kono/Danny moments--she smirked when Danny was telling Steve why he "liked" polo so much, and seeing Kono ride in the car with Danny was truly enjoyable.

Don't like Doris--she intrudes too much, and is just so off-putting.

Lots of funny quotes here, including "You make more money than I do." but the best was, "You are such a girl!"
imbyerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Moderator Manager

I have a some mixed feelings about this episode and it's mostly Doris! Now it's sort of official, I really dislike her! And I felt that Steve was a little OOC whenever he was around her.... I mean, the past two episodes all he wanted was to find her location to clear out what had happened at the safe house, and when she just dropped on his lap, he was all protective and not mentioning that elephant on the room for the whole episode?! Annoyed the hell out of me.
I'm curious to find out what she got from Steve's house... I just find that it's a little unbelievable that nobody (and I mean mostly Steve's dad) found that thing hiding under the rug for the past 20 years. Doesn't anyone ever cleaned up that house after she "died"?
What changed from 20 years ago that makes it safe for Doris to decide to stay in the house now? If she could deffend herself against Wo Fat so easily, then why fake her own death and leave her family in the first place? This better be explained in the future, or else it's going to be another one of those things were the writers are just going with the flow and not paying much attention to continuity.
And let's be honest, it's really weird that so far she hasn't mentioned or asked about Mary once. Danny and Cath both already wondered how she will take the news, but Doris have said nothing at all.... Feels odd to me.

I LOVED Cath's first scene! That beginning was so cute with very great lines. C'mon Steve, Cath is more than capable to defend herself so just like she said, "don't be such a caveman" . And I really liked that Cath jumped out of the bed and grab the bat. Good to know that she is not trigger happy like Steve is.
Cath being all awkward when Doris invited her to stay for breakfast was just too cute! Michelle's expressions are adorable.
But when Steve took the bomb thing for her to analyse as another favor, that was just wrong. Firstly because I'm sick and tired of her being his "favor girl", it feels like he's using her sometimes. Also, Fong is like the forensic guy, what's the point of having him around if he can't figure out this kind of thing. Not to mention that it's not the first bomb case they have, and up until today his results always came up fast, but now all of a sudden his results will take a while?!
I want Cath to be the Intelligence Navy Officer that can help the team when something really can't be solved by the members. If Cath is going to be around, she needs to have her own thing, that something that makes it important for her to be there (and I'd like to see more of her own individual other than having her whole life tied to Steve. And speaking of him, if he's going to keep asking her for favors, he needs to improve in his asking skills. As a woman, I sometimes feel offended about the way he just asks the favors, you know.... it's hard for me to explain exactly how I feel about that....

On the other hand, the plot was AMAZING. I was just saying that it has been a while that the crime plots were being too obvious, and pretty lame. But this one had great twists that made me keep guessing throughout the whole episode. Just when I thought I had figured out something, another unexpected thing came up and enticed my curiosity all over again.

TBH I was a little bit tired of the McDanno fest, so this was refreshing for me. And I LOVE whenever they mixed up the teams.... I missed seeing Kono and Danny working together (I think the last time was in Season 1). So, as far as I'm concerned, the less McDanno, the better at the moment
And I found that Kono and Danny are funny and have a great dynamic together. I know that I'd love to see more of that in future episodes. IMO, even the so called "cargument" worked with those two.
Kono and Chin both had some solo screentime which made me happy! I think that even though Chin may have been on the background a little, this episode had a good screentime division between them all.

Danny was the one that said what I wanted to say to Steve, so as usual, LOVED him

I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the season so far. Now the waiting begins again... no episode next Monday. On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to watch the Halloween episode, because that one seems that it's going to be interesting
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I LOVED IT!! great episode no silly bickering and yelling and car chasing this time.

After the opningstune we got Steve and Catherine GOSH!! I LOVE THEM!!

The scene was adorable and Catherine not listen to Steve was great good for her and she is right sometime Steve can be a caveman The Kitchen scene was hysterical I felt for Cath when Doris said I hope I wasn’t interrupt anything. Doris really is something!!!

Doris I'm liking and disliking her more each episode. Dislike because she is a big liar and she talking about she is done with hiding and want to move back into the McG house and still no mention from her about her daughter Mary at all. Seems they don't clean much in house McG or buy new stuff because how can a loose floorboard 20 years remain without anyone noticing, I wonder what she is up to next. Liking because Christine Lahti plays her role perfectly and her scene’s with Alex are great they really play’s well with each other. I only hope she wont be a second Joe this season.

Was happy to see Catherine helped Five-o with a case instead of looking into Doris past Steve really relaxes around her and smiles a lot - love that. . And again great job from the writers how they used Catherine in this episode.

I am glad that Steve keeps inform his team now about everything Doris say and does. Great improvement from him last year when he almost said nothing to them and was it all guessing from Danny, Chin and Kono. Last night Steve was his adorable all Super SEAL again with two wonderful tackles catching the bad guys. I'm glad they are not being fooled by Doris and I am longing to the day Steve call his mother out about everything what happened in his and Mary's live and about the dead of their father.

Loved Danny this episode loved his interaction with Kono at the fortune teller were he had to pay lol till their frist cargument wonderful scene’s and I want to see more. You can see that Danny suspects that Doris will hurt his friend Steve again he don’t trust her one bit.

Poor Chin had babysitting duties for Doris

I always love the Ohana moments at Kamekona’s!

I liked the crime case I thought the husband did it but it was their son nicely done writers

Really great episode One of the best episodes ever - loved it.

Last edited by Immunity; 10-16-2012 at 08:06 AM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I liked the eppie. It was another easy to follow one with good screentime for all.

Random Thoughs:

Of anyway a human can be murdered, losing one's head freaks me out the most.

I rather liked Steve's protective side (although Catherine's "caveman" comment was cute). I was happy to see Catherine grab a baseball bat instead of anther gun. More realistic.

Poor Steve, he wants to trust Doris but he knows he can't.

I love Christine Lahti but Doris is starting to drive me nuts. What is she up to and how long are we to wait to get answers?!! I got this bad feeling it is going to be most of the season before most or all is revealed

Catherine, girlfriend you need to say no once in a while; Steve is starting to take advantage of you.

Quote:
But when Steve took the bomb thing for her to analyse as another favor, that was just wrong. Firstly because I'm sick and tired of her being his "favor girl", it feels like he's using her sometimes.
And this is were I got the impression in the last couple of years that Steve and Catherine were just "friends with benefits". I have no doubt Steve cares for Catherine but it seems to be on his terms. Wonder if this will be the crust of their problems later?

Quote:
Also, Fong is like the forensic guy, what's the point of having him around if he can't figure out this kind of thing. Not to mention that it's not the first bomb case they have, and up until today his results always came up fast, but now all of a sudden his results will take a while?!
I hope this isn't a vain attempt to get Catherine more screentime. They have used her perfectly up to this point.

Quote:
I want Cath to be the Intelligence Navy Officer that can help the team when something really can't be solved by the members. If Cath is going to be around, she needs to have her own thing, that something that makes it important for her to be there (and I'd like to see more of her own individual other than having her whole life tied to Steve. And speaking of him, if he's going to keep asking her for favors, he needs to improve in his asking skills. As a woman, I sometimes feel offended about the way he just asks the favors, you know.... it's hard for me to explain exactly how I feel about that....
I too want Catherine to have a purpose beyond Steve as well. It will make her a far better character and be a good role model as well (ie one doesn't need to tie oneself to a man to be a full person). Sometimes Steve seems to have little to no social skills, but Catherine seems to know that and not be too offended by it.

I loved seeing Danny with someone other than Steve and he and Kono have good chemistry together (of course who doesn't Kono have good chemistry with?) And the carargument was refreshing because it wasn't Steve and Danny.

I agree; poor Chin being babysitter. For a little bit, I thought he would get info out of Doris. Chin is good at that.

I think Danny's prodding of Steve about his Mom was right on; keeps Steve thinking.

Loved the Ohano moment at the end.
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Master Fan

OMG STEVE/CATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
”Thanks, Sugar Daddy!” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can’t stop rewinding to that part!
And they’re in bed I CAN’T.
And OMG I love how Cath was woven into this! LOVE IT!LOVE IT!LOVE IT!LOVE IT!
And Danno and Kono. OH NO. I think I might be shipping them.

I loved their cargument too! Didn’t even mind that Steve wasn’t there because seriously, I need variety at this point and it can’t be McDanno all the freaking time.
And poor Chin. LOL I love that Doris overpowers everybody! HA! He was reduced to being an 8 year old and I loved it! Such a cutie! And when he and McG were whispering, I was giggling.
My question is: in all the time that Papa McG was in that house, he never noticed that hollowed floor??
And I want Mary to come back already! I want to see that reunion because I just know it’ll be explosive.
Lexi, what are you doing there?? You’re supposed to be dead! Go back to Mystic Falls and Stefan!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Elite Fan

This episode solidified my dislike of Doris. She's been gone for 20 years, abandoned her kids in her own way to protect them, but still thinks she has a right to jump right into their lives (and homes) as if nothing happened and that they're just a normal happy family. It seems to me, her actions have yet to have consequences. And why was Steve holding off asking the question about Wo Fat. If it were me, it'd be the very first thing I'd ask her. I know he wants to trust her and have the family he never had with her, but he's thinking too much like a son, instead of a trained investigator who questions just about everything.

Other than the Doris parts, I really enjoyed the episode. Seeing that head roll around wasn't exactly my idea of fun, but the Kono/Danno parts and the Cath/Steve were great.

Quote:
I rather liked Steve's protective side (although Catherine's "caveman" comment was cute). I was happy to see Catherine grab a baseball bat instead of anther gun. More realistic.
I too liked that he was protective and she wasn't having any of it He cares enough for her to make sure she's out of harms way, but has no problem with her backing him up because he knows she can.

Quote:
But when Steve took the bomb thing for her to analyse as another favor, that was just wrong. Firstly because I'm sick and tired of her being his "favor girl", it feels like he's using her sometimes.
Agree. Yes, they have their cute moments and are ridiculously adorable together, but a lot of their scenes are him asking her for favours. We never see her asking him for one, or him really thanking her. He seems to take for granted that he can ask anything and that she's always going to say yes. Does it ever occur to him that these favours just might get her in trouble and risk her own career?
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat (View Post)
This episode solidified my dislike of Doris. She's been gone for 20 years, abandoned her kids in her own way to protect them, but still thinks she has a right to jump right into their lives (and homes) as if nothing happened and that they're just a normal happy family. It seems to me, her actions have yet to have consequences. And why was Steve holding off asking the question about Wo Fat. If it were me, it'd be the very first thing I'd ask her. I know he wants to trust her and have the family he never had with her, but he's thinking too much like a son, instead of a trained investigator who questions just about everything.

Other than the Doris parts, I really enjoyed the episode. Seeing that head roll around wasn't exactly my idea of fun, but the Kono/Danno parts and the Cath/Steve were great.

I too liked that he was protective and she wasn't having any of it He cares enough for her to make sure she's out of harms way, but has no problem with her backing him up because he knows she can.

Agree. Yes, they have their cute moments and are ridiculously adorable together, but a lot of their scenes are him asking her for favours. We never see her asking him for one, or him really thanking her. He seems to take for granted that he can ask anything and that she's always going to say yes. Does it ever occur to him that these favours just might get her in trouble and risk her own career?
I agree with everything you said!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I'm curious to find out what she got from Steve's house... I just find that it's a little unbelievable that nobody (and I mean mostly Steve's dad) found that thing hiding under the rug for the past 20 years. Doesn't anyone ever cleaned up that house after she "died"?
What changed from 20 years ago that makes it safe for Doris to decide to stay in the house now? If she could deffend herself against Wo Fat so easily, then why fake her own death and leave her family in the first place? This better be explained in the future, or else it's going to be another one of those things were the writers are just going with the flow and not paying much attention to continuity.
And let's be honest, it's really weird that so far she hasn't mentioned or asked about Mary once. Danny and Cath both already wondered how she will take the news, but Doris have said nothing at all.... Feels odd to me.
Well said Si I agree with everything I even stole some lines from you as comment on another board if you don't mind

Yeah why can Doris now live in a house which she left 20 years ago to protect her family what is she hiding and why didn't Doris ask Steve how his life and Mary's has been in the time she was away does Doris even care how her husband died or is she only married with him to protect herself as CIA agent.

To me she comes across as a cold selfish mother who never cared for her children or her husband.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yeah why can Doris now live in a house which she left 20 years ago to protect her family what is she hiding and why didn't Doris ask Steve how his life and Mary's has been in the time she was away does Doris even care how her husband died or is she only married with him to protect herself as CIA agent.
I find it rather odd that she hasn't asked Steve once about Mary. I agree with Si_Crazy; does she really think that she can fake her death, traumatize her children and husband and come back after 20 years and everything is hunky dory?!! And did she ever think that her actions killed the man she supposedly loved?!!!

Quote:
To me she comes across as a cold selfish mother who never cared for her children or her husband.
You know Lena it is funny you say that because one of the first things I thought was "you left to save your own butt!!!!!"

If she truly wants to have a relationship with Steve and Mary, she needs to come clean and be totally honest with both of them. Honest is one thing she has NOT been with Steve at all. I have a bad feeling that Steve is going to get hurt and hurt BAD
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
Well said Si I agree with everything I even stole some lines from you as comment on another board if you don't mind
I don't mind at all! In fact, I'm flattered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity

Those are the reasons why I can't like her. Christine is awesome, but Doris sucks!
And just like you said before, Lena, I really hope she doesn't become this season Joe. Because I really don't want her storyline lasting the whole damn season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfor5-0
If she truly wants to have a relationship with Steve and Mary, she needs to come clean and be totally honest with both of them. Honest is one thing she has NOT been with Steve at all. I have a bad feeling that Steve is going to get hurt and hurt BAD
TBH, I can't see a way where she can have a healthy relationship with either Steve or Mary. She was a spy for so long, that I think that holding back on the truth is part of who she is.

And yeah, she doesn't seem like a mom at all. She wants to be part of Steve's life, but never once asked him what happened when his dad sent him away, or how his life is going now, if he has dreams or projects for the future.... And not even acknoledge the existence of Mary?! Weird!
Not to mention the fact that she didn't seem to feel the least of remorse for her husband death or the fact that he wasted 20 years searching for her "killers".

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 10-16-2012 at 05:21 PM
Reply   Post New Thread