Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

2 x 19 "Kalele" March 19 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!

2.19 “Kalele”

“Faith”

McGARRETT TRACKS DOWN A FORMER DIAMOND SMUGGLER TO HELP FIVE-0 CLEAR HIS SISTER OF TRAFFICKING CONFLICT DIAMONDS, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, MARCH 19

Emmy Award Winner Ed Asner Guest Stars, Reprising His Role of “August March,” a Diamond Smuggler, in an Original “Hawaii Five-0” Episode from 1975
Footage from the Original Series Included in the Episode

From a CBS press release. Any errors are attributed to the original author(s).

“Kalele*” – When McGarrett’s sister is arrested for trying to smuggle $20 million worth of conflict diamonds, he and Chief Fryer reach out to August March, an ex-con who served 30 years for diamond smuggling, to help arrange a sting operation, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, March 19 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Emmy Award winner Ed Asner guest stars, reprising his role of “August March,” an up-and-coming world-class smuggler, from the original “Hawaii Five-0” 1975 episode, “Wooden Model of a Rat.” Footage from the original series will be included in the episode.

*Kalele is Hawaiian for “Faith”

SERIES REGULARS:
Alex O’Loughlin ………………. Steve McGarrett
Scott Caan ……….….. Danny “Danno” Williams
Daniel Dae Kim ………………….. Chin Ho Kelly
Grace Park ……………………… Kono Kalakaua
Masi Oka …………………….. Dr. Max Bergman

RECURRING CAST:
Tom Sizemore ………………………. Chief Fryer
Taryn Manning …………… Mary Ann McGarrett

GUEST CAST:
Ed Asner ………………………….. August March
Tony Todd …………………………. Jordan Nevins
Devon Nekoba ……………………………… Myers
Rebecca Ocampo ……………… Angela Branson
Kevin Napoleon ………………………. Uniform #1
Samuel Rodriguez Jr. ……………….. Uniform #2
Jason Scott Lee ……………………………. Kaleo
Anthony Brandon Wong …………… Darryl Kaleo

WRITTEN BY:
Joe Halpin

DIRECTED BY:
Fred Toye

Promo/Sneak Peek

Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Wasn't a bad Episode!

I'm Megan!
Megz1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

The writing and story was much better than previous episodes but it was jarring having Steve pushed into the background so much especially when the case was about his own sister. Aren't the team meant to be taking orders from Steve and not Danny. I'm really becoming tired of Danny's whining and ranting and it seems Steve was at times as well.

Ed Esner was great and I found Fryer tolerable and I loved the interaction between Mary and Steve but it seemed very watered down compared to their interaction last year.. Loved the birthday cake but why didn't Mary mention anything about it being Steve's birthday when she first greeted him on the beach!

I missed Steve's usual level of exhuberance and it was sad watching the episode knowing what Alex had been going through and I hope he's on his way to full health again soon. The show is definitely not the same without him.
h50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Loved the episode and it's also left me in tears knowing it was Alex last episode for a while it seems Alex's unavailability have started, unofficially, somewhere during filming of this episode, he wasn't as much in the episode as he usually is. I had a feeling they rewrote and shoot new scene's it didn't flow we got part of scene's were Danny took over as leader of Five-O. Alex health problems most be the reason they could shoot the whole episode with him. Sadly because it was suppose to be a Steve/Mary episode.

That being said:

We got the best opening ever!!! McDanno shirtless and finally Steve teaching Danno how to surf we all knew Danny would complaining alot about the Island rules again

Love Danny don't mess or mention his Monkey or he will follow you to the end of the earth to break every bone in your body!

Was great to see Mary back hope next time she can stay out of trouble for once! I knew immediately that Angela was not really kidnapped but that she used Mary for her own good!

Loved how they wove in the old footage and LOVED how August was not the frail old man he first appeared to be. Didn't see that ending coming!

A brotherly hug for Mary was so sweet Steve need to see his sister more

That last Ohana scene with the orignal cast from the pilot "Happy Birthday Big Kahuna" was adorable and the cake was amazing Steve ruiend their surprise and had to pay for it with a salty cake

Now the waiting is gonna start when will Alex be back this season or maybe next season hard to tell for sure he is not in the next episode which will be hard to watch for me knowing Alex will not be in it as much as I love the rest of the cast it will not be the same without Alex or (Big Kahuna) I hope wherever he is he is doing well take your time Alex we will be waiting for you!

Last edited by Immunity; 03-20-2012 at 06:36 AM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Extreme Fan

I really liked this episode! Good use of footage from the original 5-0 and a couple of good twists.

Random Thoughts:

I agree with Lena; it was a tough eppie to watch seeing a subdued Steve and knowing what Alex is going through. All my best go out to him for a full recovery!!

Loved seeing Mary again and it was nice to see her having her act together. And it was good to see Mary being able to keep a job she loved, thanks to Steve.

Everyone should have a brother like Steve.

I never saw Angela being part of the crime and I thought it was sad she used Mary.

I loved Ed Asner and never saw the end. I guess "once a criminal..."

I liked Fryer in this eppie. When we first met him, I thought he was going to be dirty but it was a pleasant surprise when he wasn't. His methods are a little far out there at times but sometimes that could be said of Steve and the rest of 5-0.

I was pleasantly surprised seeing Kaleo (I forgot until I saw the credits it was Jason Scott Lee) from season one. Good use of continuity.

Danny and Steve surfing and a surfing argument.

Don't mess with Monkey!!

You can't get anything past Kono.

I love it when Danny, Steve Kono and Chin let their hair down. It was nice Mary was there when they brought in Steve's birthday cake. Seeing the look on Steve's face when he took a bite of that salty cake was priceless. When he continued eating it though, that was kind of gross.

It will be sad to see Steve's role reduced in the upcoming eppies, but again all the best to Alex and I hope he'll be okay!!
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Moderator Manager

I really enjoyed this episode. Talking about the plot and writing there was an improvement from the last one with good twists and misguiding infos.

The begining was awesome! Shirtless Steve and Danny in the same scene is like priceless I LOVE Danny's antagonism towards Hawaii, don't get me wrong I have nothing agaisnt the Island (never actually been there, but I'm dying to take some vacation there), but I think it's interesting and gives a sense of realism to his character, afterall he only moved there to be close to Grace, and he has stated several times that he is not a fan of the place. That's what happens in RL, you sometimes need to move to a place that you don't like for some reason, and you endure it, but don't necessary like the place (even though you've met amazing people and made great friends).

It was great seeing Mary Ann again, and the short hair really suits her. The scenes between her and Steve were realy cute, and I hope that since she's still a flight attendant we'll see more of her in the future, just as long as she is not in trouble anymore, the girl does deserve a break. And just a little off topic, but how gorgeous was her make up?!

Ed Asner guest starring was amazing! He was so lovable and helpless the first time we saw him, that I actually took pity of him being dragged to the whole mess by Fryer and 5-0. But that end was pretty spetacular! I didn't see it coming! And loved that he was the real mastermind behind it, proving that he really was a pro. Kudos to the editors in the way they showed the old footages of Ed!

Let's count on Steve to ruin the team's surprise for him but in his defense the team really need to work on their deceptive's skills, because when they just stopped talking when Steve got in the office was a real give away Danny trying to prevent him from opening the trunk and asking for Chin's help was hilarious. But I guess in the end they really did surprise him with the salty cake, and just like Danny said, I've never heard about that one before (what a waste for a very tasty looking cake).

Bringing back Kaleo was a nice touch. I like when shows do that, because it gives some sort of logical completeness along with continuity. Danny threatening Kaleo after he mentioned Grace was cool, because not only he is way overprotective but he still must be sensitive towards her after the kidnapping.

Another thing that I liked was August trying to charm his way out with the diamant with Kono and she just played cool and asked for it back elegantly.

I liked Danny taking point in the case, since Alex couldn't be in the amount of scenes that we're used to, but pairing him with Fryer wasn't a hit for me. Fryer is a good character and all, but IMO we already saw too much of him.... I would like it much more if it was Chin or Kono to tag along with Danny.

All in all, it was a very entertaining episode, and I liked it!
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

I didn’t know he was in the original H50! Pretty cool being able to reprise his role! James Caan and Ed are my favorite guests And pretty nice ending there. I love “old” guys. They’re so adorable!

Tom Sizemore is just awesome all around! I love him playing the tough guy all the time

Jason Scott Lee!!! That’s what I’m talking about! Continuity is great when done right like this. Bringing back an “old friend” and making his storyline make sense is the way to go.

MARY!!! OMG She cut her hair. I was a little bit surprised.

McDanno surfing. YESSSSSSSS!!! And playing up to Scott’s comedic timing - YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Aww!!! Birthday surprise! I love it! How sweet of the team!

Why did I feel that the show was gearing up to lose Alex? He wasn’t in a lot of the scenes, which he usually is. Did they already know about the pain medication then and decided to pull him back a little? Doctor’s orders, maybe?

Anyway, just happy that H50’s back and I can’t wait for the NCIS LA crossover
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

I didn’t know he was in the original H50! Pretty cool being able to reprise his role! James Caan and Ed are my favorite guests And pretty nice ending there. I love “old” guys. They’re so adorable!

Tom Sizemore is just awesome all around! I love him playing the tough guy all the time

Jason Scott Lee!!! That’s what I’m talking about! Continuity is great when done right like this. Bringing back an “old friend” and making his storyline make sense is the way to go.

MARY!!! OMG She cut her hair. I was a little bit surprised.

McDanno surfing. YESSSSSSSS!!! And playing up to Scott’s comedic timing - YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Aww!!! Birthday surprise! I love it! How sweet of the team!

Why did I feel that the show was gearing up to lose Alex? He wasn’t in a lot of the scenes, which he usually is. Did they already know about the pain medication then and decided to pull him back a little? Doctor’s orders, maybe?

Anyway, just happy that H50’s back and I can’t wait for the NCIS LA crossover
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a surprisingly fun episode... It felt... so light hearted the whole episode, and sadly, it ended quite bitterly with the unexpected twist to the story.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

It was definitely odd but quite enjoyable. The August March character was badass and the ending was surprising. I had no idea he was in the original either. That just makes the episode that much cooler (and the old footage doesn't seem so out of place now).

It was truly sad watching Alex/McGarrett in this one. He does look awfully thin but it's good that he's taken action and we'll have the old McGarrett back for sure.

Danny taking the lead was pretty cool, I def wanna see more of that.
Sookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Part-Time Fan

I quite enjoyed this episode, and loved the way they seamlessly integrated the old footage of Ed Asner; looks like we haven't seen the last of him.

Loved seeing Mary again and her new look--I truly hope that her misfortunes are over and that we won't be getting a future episode where she and Danny's brother hook up.

Steve's birthday was kinda bittersweet when you realize what's been happening behind the scenes. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.
imbyerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
New Fan

Great episode!!!Does anybody know the name of the song played at the end of the episode when Ed Asner walks away??I'm looking for it for days..please help...thanks!
Erica1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome here Erica1982 I've looked everywhere but could find it either maybe that their own musicians have composed it. We better can ask Peter Lenkov on twitter
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
Welcome here Erica1982 I've looked everywhere but could find it either maybe that their own musicians have composed it. We better can ask Peter Lenkov on twitter

Thank you very much for welcoming me and looking for the song ....i don't have a twitter acount....if you could ask,i would appreciated it....i don't think the song composed only for this scene because i think i've heard it before but if so because it's a very nice one
Erica1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1982 (View Post)
Thank you very much for welcoming me and looking for the song ....i don't have a twitter acount....if you could ask,i would appreciated it....i don't think the song composed only for this scene because i think i've heard it before but if so because it's a very nice one
I have ask Peter Lenkov on twitter for you hope he will give me a answer back if so I'll will post it here ok
Reply   Post New Thread