Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

~ 9.08 “Lele p? n? manu like” (Birds of a Feather) ~ November 16 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!!

9.08 “Lele p? n? manu like”

“Birds of a Feather”

THANKSGIVING BRINGS GROVER’S FAMILY TO OAHU FOR A VISIT TAINTED BY SIBLING RIVALRY, AND FIVE-0 INVESTIGATES A THIEF WHO IS CRUSHED TO DEATH BY AN EMPTY SAFE, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” FRIDAY, NOV. 16

Episode Is Written by Series Star Chi McBride

Louis Gossett Jr. and Gladys Knight Guest Star as Grover’s Parents, Percy and Ella

“Lele p? n? manu like” – Thanksgiving brings Grover’s parents (guest stars Louis Gossett Jr. and Gladys Knight) and brother Percy, Jr. (Clifton Powel) to Oahu for a visit tainted by sibling rivalry, and Five-0 investigates a thief who is crushed to death by an empty safe, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Friday, Nov. 16 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Episode is written by series star Chi McBride.

(“Lele p? n? manu like” is Hawaiian for “Birds of a Feather…”)

CHEAT TWEET: Happy #Thanksgiving to all the #H50 fans! + Say Aloha to Grover’s parents @LouisGossettJr and @MsGladysKnight @HawaiiFive0CBS 11/16 9pm http://bit.ly/2Q7bHUy

REGULAR CAST:
Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan (Danny “Danno” Williams)
Chi McBride (Lou Grover)
Ian Anthony Dale (Adam Noshimuri)
Jorge Garcia (Jerry Ortega)
Meaghan Rath (Tani Rey)
Beulah Koale (Junior Reigns)
Taylor Wily (Kamekona)
Dennis Chun (Sgt. Duke Lukela)
Kimee Balmilero (Noelani Cunha)

RECURRING CAST:
Kekoa Kekumano (Nahele)
Shawn Mokuahi Garnett (Flippa)
Michelle Hurd (Renee Grover)
Chosen Jacobs (Will Grover)
Al Harrington (Mamo Kahike)
Shawn Thomsen (Pua Kai)
Kunal Sharma (Koa)

GUEST CAST:
Clifton Powell (Percy Lee Grover Jr.)
Louis Gossett Jr. (Percy Grover Sr.)
Gladys Knight (Ella Grover)
Janice Morimoto (Cashier)
Eli K.M. Foster (John Henman)
John Lavelle (Patrick Hale)
Adele Chu (Mrs. Lee)
Mike Buck (Fire Captain)
Kevin Keaveney (Shop Owner)

WRITTEN BY: Chi McBride
DIRECTED BY: Carlos Bernard

Old 11-17-2018, 09:50 PM
New Fan

What no reviews??? impressed that Chi wrote the episode. Impressed with Louis Gossett Jr and Gladys Knight. Left me with a lot of questions. Who picks up a turkey on Thanksgiving? $300? The second turkey and who had time to kill the turkey and pluck it on Thanksgiving. Another $300. How much does 50 pay Lou? Did he steal some of the money from his ex-partner? Lots of holes not getting stuff ready when they have family. Too much fighting for me. People fight verbally at family gatherings not fist fights. What about the daughter at expensive Northwestern. Wouldn't she have come or called to say hi. Didn't even mention her. Missed Danny lots. The case of the week was sort of silly and over quick. Had to be for all the family drama. Liked that the restaurant is still in use. Funny how Steve who decided to get out first is the last to sign it over. Kamakona mentioned it was called Steve's still.
Patf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

I truly hope Chi will never write a episode for H5O ever again!!! I hated The Grover Show!!

One of the worst episodes of all time, in my opinion the whole fighting in the Grover family was horrible to watch how old are they 6 I really dislike the character Lou this season.

I even didn't like the Ohana football scene Tani was all over the place and nasty toward Mamo, even Steve wasn't that nice.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Adam's place on 5-0 or on the show in general. For me he doesn't fit in with the team maybe it is time for him to go. His story ended when Kono left IMO!

When will Tani finally tell Steve it is weird seeing Tani and Adam working on the team knowing there is a big secret.

I missed Danny a lot in this episode Thanksiving is the episode he belongs in with Grace and Charlie.

Kamekona gave Percy a job that was fast hopefully no more fighting between the brothers

Sorry guys for those who loved the episode but I didn't even the crime of the week was silly!!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)

1. I hated The Grover Show!!

2. I really dislike the character Lou this season.

3. I'm still not sure how I feel about Adam's place on 5-0 or on the show in general. For me he doesn't fit in with the team maybe it is time for him to go. His story ended when Kono left IMO!

4. When will Tani finally tell Steve it is weird seeing Tani and Adam working on the team knowing there is a big secret.

5. I missed Danny a lot in this episode Thanksiving is the episode he belongs in with Grace and Charlie.
1. me too. It was annoying and boring at the same time if that is even possible.

2. that is true. never was a real fan of the character anyway, but this season is the worst. hope they are going to change that soon.

3. Not sure about being with 5-0 either. First because there are too many team members now - but we've already talked about that last week - and second because I don't think he should work for law enforcement at all. But I think he belongs to the show, so if he appears from time to time like mary or rachel or catherine or grace or charlie and so on it would be okay for me.

4. wondering about that too. When steve is going to find out about all of this he will be really pissed.

5. me too. Had hoped to see all of them again for this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf
The case of the week was sort of silly and over quick. Had to be for all the family drama

That is what I was thinking as well.
nuwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:18 AM
New Fan

Thought I was alone in my thoughts on the show. No one had posted anything. On Twitter they just kept saying how great it was. I liked Gladys and Lou Gossett Jr Don't know why Lou is in 50 he hardly ever goes with the group any more. How can he afford that big house, big family meals and sending his daughter to college?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf (View Post)
Thought I was alone in my thoughts on the show. No one had posted anything. On Twitter they just kept saying how great it was. I liked Gladys and Lou Gossett Jr Don't know why Lou is in 50 he hardly ever goes with the group any more. How can he afford that big house, big family meals and sending his daughter to college?
I had to wait for a good link before I could watch the episode I am from Holland and here we are in season 8 .

Your not alone I know on Twitter people say the episode was great every week they say the same but everyone is entitled to his own opinion mine is I hated it.

No idea how he can effort all of it don’t forget his wife is working to and when you have kids you start to safe money the moment they are born at least I did.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
No one had posted anything. saying how great it was. I

Don't know why Lou is in 50 he hardly ever goes with the group any more. How can he afford that big house, big family meals and sending his daughter to college?
I didn't write anything, because I wasn't able to watch before sunday.

always wondered why grover is there. In my opion he is a miscast.
How can a stiff person like him become a SWAT member not to mention a leader.

Don't know how he can afford all this either, but maybe it is like Immunity already said or he inherited something.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

I haven't seen this episode, do I guess I will be skipping it. Honestly I am not a Grover fan but I do love how he acts with his wife and the team.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Makes you wonder if his wife works or something. Can't afford a big house on a cop's salary. Or she gets bigger pay than he does

BTW Louis Gossett Jr and that of Gladys Knight really had nothing to do but break up the Grover boys constantly

I love football and to have a ref in the game even pickup was something I would never do. Tani does not know a thing about football but knows she is competitive like her boss

Adam on the team. As he is a criminal. So Five 0 also hires criminals I take it as well as so called "losers" in the world or cops want to be that the rules do not apply to anybody except them. Lousy writing.

Give it a 7.10!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 AM
Extreme Fan

Don't like it either. Not a Grover fan and this episode was so boring I didn't even pay attention to it. Wonder if the whole episode was written by Chi or only the Grovers part.
Slipca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow so many people with the same thought's about Grover didn't expect that.

Quote:
Adam on the team. As he is a criminal. So Five 0 also hires criminals I take it as well as so called "losers" in the world or cops want to be that the rules do not apply to anybody except them. Lousy writing.
I agree, sofar the season was great I think it is not a good idea to let the someone from cast write for the serie not everyone is good at it.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Master Fan

Very true, saw the end and all I can say I wish danny was there too

Last edited by Sydney Collins; 11-19-2018 at 10:17 PM
Sydney Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:56 AM
New Fan

Someone had to review the script. Why did they green light this?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Why did they green light this?

that's a question I asked myself from time to time, anyway.

maybe the one who did this time is a big grover fan....????
Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Someone had to review the script. Why did they green light this?
Chi brought his idea for this Thanksgiving epiosde to Peter Lenkov seems he liked what Chi wrote.

Quote:
Chi McBride – If I can indulge myself for a minute, I just want to talk about [showrunner] Peter [Lenkov]. Peter is many, many things. He’s a very talented writer, and that much is evident by the three d–n television shows he’s running. He is a generous and collaborative showrunner and executive producer; I consider him a friend.

Peter just stepped out on faith after I pitched this idea to him, and he just said ‘write it.’ When I turned it in, he was pleasantly surprised and really encouraged and nourished my writing. He gave me this opportunity and gave me the guidance and instruction in terms of things I wasn’t familiar with — like formatting an episode. I’ve actually been writing for years without knowing it. A lot of the one-liners that Grover says, Peter gives me a lot of elbow room to say things that may fit better; or, he gives me an opportunity to have one take for me and he uses some of that. Lo and behold, I’ve realized ‘that’s writing.’

Character and dialogue are two things that I’m really familiar with, but being able to put that into a structure and a timeframe that gives CBS enough time to sell some soap and some cars, that’s a very deft trick. I’m no more at an expert at it now as I was then, but I understand it. That’s given me the opportunity and the impetus to continue writing. I owe all of that to Peter. Many people who are professional writers have a long process to go through, and I pay that a lot of respect and a lot of homage. Just because you get hired as a writer doesn’t mean you’re going to start writing right away. You could end up in a writer’s room and spend a whole season getting someone coffee. Then, the moment you go ‘I think someone should…’, they can then go ‘shut up and get me another sandwich’ (laughs). That can be the life of a fledgling writer. It’s just like professional sports — you gotta carry the veterans’ bags.

Peter leap-frogged me over all of that. How do you pay someone back for that? I try to pay him back with the work I do on the show, and by letting people know about him. Let me tell you: Peter’s a guy who hates when people compliment him. When people recognize him, he gets embarrassed — which is good, because I’m going to do that now (laughs). People should know what kind of a guy he is, because the job that he has is very difficult. Remember The Ed Sullivan Show? You may be too young to remember that but I’m not. They would bring the guy out to spin the plates on top of the sticks and keep them going. That’s Peter. He’s really an incredible guy and I really appreciate the opportunity he’s given me so much.
Source
Reply   Post New Thread