Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbled Pretty (View Post)
Like Ash said, this is probably a hard thing for Elena to admit I imagine
Especially after trying so hard to not be like her.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes Katherine really did go through so much as a human and than running from Klaus for 500 years so her situation really made her be who she became
Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Yeah, it did.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Her story is so crazy
Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

On the other hand, crazy is better than boring! Like that vampire who decided to get 16 university degrees because he couldn't figure out what to do with immortality before Elijah killed him. Katherine made every moment of her life (unlife?) count, and here's hoping that she gets to continue that in the near future! It'd definitely bring some new life to TVD!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

^ That's true.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protean (View Post)
If Elena lives for five hundred years, she'll start to feel so distant from the world and everything around her would probably feel more and more surreal. IMO, the key difference between Elena and Katherine is that Elena hasn't actually felt what it is really like to be immortal, when the world you know is long dead and lives on only in your memory. When that happens, she'll have to embrace the every new era and just taste it like a fine wine, while laughing at how ridiculous its values are (whatever said values may be). Or she'll just get depressed and miss the "good old days" and everything will suck, (tut tut, Stefan anyone?). Katherine got a nudge from Klaus when he slaughtered her family and showed her exactly how much human values are worth when you are immortal and accountable to no one. (Well that and the fact that the most important thing in the Renaissance was social influence and prestige anyway, so Katherine grew up in an environment where power trumps all.) From Katherine's point of view, she doesn't sleep with the two brothers in spite of the fact of it being 'wrong', she does it because she believes it is perfectly acceptable for her, and the fact that she can . She doesn't need to listen to whatever the Victorian morals say at the time, as she thinks they're utterly ridiculous.
Great points, wow does the show...I feel so weird for asking this but what you're saying here about the renaissance and victorian time periods having different "rules" did the show ever explain that side of it? I know they've covered a lot of time periods but I think if they had made that point with Katherine that the show would seem, smarter I think you just made my mind explode because I'm either missing that being explained in someway or I just wish they would have had you on the writing team

Credit
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh yes that final scene before Katherine took over Elena's body thanks for that gif

I don't think the time period was explained we see a lot of time periods inbetween both TVD and TO but don't think we get any back story of those time periods unless I missed it
Old 04-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Elena forgave, Katherine stayed. Poor, poor Elena.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes poor Elena through many of Nina's best scenes were those scenes; Elena and Katherine together in the same scene
Old 04-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love the second gif of Katherine saying "you what?" as if forgiveness was something foreign to her.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Great points, wow does the show...I feel so weird for asking this but what you're saying here about the renaissance and victorian time periods having different "rules" did the show ever explain that side of it? I know they've covered a lot of time periods but I think if they had made that point with Katherine that the show would seem, smarter I think you just made my mind explode because I'm either missing that being explained in someway or I just wish they would have had you on the writing team
Thanks! I'm glad I helped you see the vamps in a different light! I don't think the show really went into of how different the times and values some of the characters lived with, but they did hint about it at some points. I vaguely recall that Rose (way back in season 2) was talking about missing her home, and when Damon asked her where it is now, she simply dismisses it and says that it no longer exists. Rose also seems to share most of Katherine's values (kidnapping Elena for Elijah so that she would no longer be hunted, only looking out for herself and the ones she cares about etc). Sadly, aside from that they mostly just brushed over it, even though it would have a huge effect on Stefan and Damon, as slavery was a good thing in the world they grew up in, and being anti-slavery would mark you as an abolitionist and a traitor to the Confederacy. I'm sure that contributed to Stefan being such a do-gooder and Damon viewing the entire human race as a bunch of hypocrites.

It would have been great if some of the flashbacks showed us Katherine's world. Growing up in a world where everyone preaches "Christian" values while the only real success stories are women who seduce Kings to become their royal mistress and take on the role of prime minister, popes preach peace while waging war (with church tithes of course) to establish their own private empires and so on tends to make make people more Katherine-ish . Most modern people would say that they were wrong, Katherine and people like her would say that they're smart, brave and charismatic . And don't I wish I was on the writing team, would have been so much fun (and hard work, but it would totally be worth it)!

P.S I love that gif you posted! And I always thought Katherine was thinking "why should I give a flying **** about your forgiveness again?" Katherine probably thinks that Elena is just riding on her moral high horse to lord it over her, whereas Elena is actually trying to offer her an olive branch. In Katherine's world, olive branches are held in one hand and a dagger in the other

Last edited by Protean; 04-03-2015 at 05:13 PM
Old 04-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Quote:
I love the second gif of Katherine saying "you what?" as if forgiveness was something foreign to her.
Yeah, she definitely wasn't expecting Elena to forgive her...well, ever.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I can completely see it as a foreign concept to her she's lived a hard life and made many enemies
Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

^ Exactly. It definitely threw her for a brief loop.

{taek su mi sun}