Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 AM
  #61
Fan Forum Star

 
Magnus Bane's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 210,400




source
__________________
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
☂Rae|icon
Magnus Bane is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
  #62
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 234
OMG! Just have to start by saying as an American-I love it. Angel did an interview on BBC radio and was asked if she is having a romance with Bradley Cooper. She laughed it off but he's the actor from The Hang Over and he is so friggin cute. Wouldn't that be great and I have noticed how absolutely glowing she has been...now he could put a smile on a girl's face.
merthurwen is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  #63
Extreme Fan
 
ursa major's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,435
Rae- That gif is gorgeous.

merthurwen - I could be wrong but I don't think Bradley Cooper and Angel have ever met. Plus, recently he's been linked with everyone from Renee Zellwegger to Scarlett Johansson to Jennifer Lopez. I don't know why anyone would ask that question of her, unless they were trying to play it as a joke and really meant Bradley James.

From what I understand she said "bring it on" to the Bradley Cooper question which means she might be single. Though she could have been saying that in jest so its still possible that love is giving her that lovely glow or she's using a wonderful new skin product.
__________________
“I want to thank you...for saving my life.” - Marita
“You know you don’t have to thank me for that...I would do anything for you. I would do anything to save you.” - Sean

Experience the Legacy

Last edited by ursa major; 10-13-2011 at 02:37 PM
ursa major is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
  #64
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa major (View Post)
merthurwen - I could be wrong but I don't think Bradley Cooper and Angel have ever met. Plus, recently he's been linked with everyone from Renee Zellwegger to Scarlett Johansson to Jennifer Lopez. I don't know why anyone would ask that question of her, unless they were trying to play it as a joke and really meant Bradley James.

From what I understand she said "bring it on" to the Bradley Cooper question which means she might be single. Though she could have been saying that in jest so its still possible that love is giving her that lovely glow or she's using a wonderful new skin product.

I'm so friggin stupid. I thought that she was just playing it off. Well they would make a lovely couple and she's certainly worthy of the list you mentioned. Besides it's possible they met at some party or something..right? Anywho, I'd love the name of that skin care line.

Anyway why Bradley James? Everything on line says he doesn't like her and is dating someone else. I like Bradley Cooper
merthurwen is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
  #65
Extreme Fan
 
ursa major's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Anyway why Bradley James? Everything on line says he doesn't like her and is dating someone else. I like Bradley Cooper
Well it's what people do. Anytime fans see actors on a show playing lovers they always want to think they're dating in real life, especially if they have chemistry as Angel and Bradley do, are perpetually single as Bradley and Angel seem to be and appear to be close in real life, again like Angel and Bradley.

I too have heard they have no romantic interest in each other. In fact from what I understand they are complete opposites. Though that hasn't stopped people before. Opposites oftentimes attract. My point, I'd be stunned if it was revealed that Bradley James and Angel had been secretly dating because I've seen nothing more than friendship between them.

As far as Bradley Cooper goes, I'm not a fan. I don't think he's anything to write home about, but hey if Angel got a chance with him I say more power to her. I tell you one thing if she hooked up with a Hollywood star like him the publicity alone would do wonders for her career.
__________________
“I want to thank you...for saving my life.” - Marita
“You know you don’t have to thank me for that...I would do anything for you. I would do anything to save you.” - Sean

Experience the Legacy

Last edited by ursa major; 10-13-2011 at 08:01 PM
ursa major is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
  #66
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa major (View Post)
Well it's what people do. Anytime fans see actors on a show playing lovers they always want to think they're dating in real life, especially if they have chemistry as Angel and Bradley do, are perpetually single as Bradley and Angel seem to be and appear to be close in real life, again like Angel and Bradley.

I too have heard they have no romantic interest in each other. In fact from what I understand they are complete opposites. Though that hasn't stopped people before. Opposites oftentimes attract. My point, I'd be stunned if it was revealed that Bradley James and Angel had been secretly dating because I've seen nothing more than friendship between them.

As far as Bradley Cooper goes, I'm not a fan. I don't think he's anything to write home about, but hey if Angel got a chance with him I say more power to her. I tell you one thing if she hooked up with a Hollywood star like him the publicity alone would do wonders for her career.

Generally speaking I never ship actors but the more I read about these two the more I think hmmm. From all the pictures of them they seem to be yen and yang. He seems to he very intense at times and she seems to be light hearted and easy going. She seems to bring out his playful side as does Colin.

I can definitely see why he'd like her, not so much from her perspective though. Oh and I saw a video of them at some premiere thing holding hands (I think here), and let's not forget the picture where he dressed like her. So I'd say there is smoke...just don't know if there is any fire.

Bradley Cooper is hot. Not Bradley James hot but in a more mature kind of way.
merthurwen is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 AM
  #67
Extreme Fan
 
ursa major's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Generally speaking I never ship actors but the more I read about these two the more I think hmmm. From all the pictures of them they seem to be yen and yang. He seems to he very intense at times and she seems to be light hearted and easy going. She seems to bring out his playful side as does Colin.
Really? They just seem really friendly to me. I think Bradley's intensity, when at Pierrefords, is attributed to his feelings about fans being there for filming. As I understand he doesn't like fans being around while they're working, and often times will ignore the flashing cameras of the fans because of his displeasure at their presence. Where as Angel and Colin kind of take it in stride. I've also read reports from those who live in France that when they are filming there, she, Bradley and Colin are sometimes seen around town at dinner or out for drinks. There might have been some sparks there in the beginning, they are after all both beautiful and apparently passionate people, but I think they're just friends.

Picture of Angel and Rupert at the BBC1 Radio interview:




Audio of Interview

Source
__________________
“I want to thank you...for saving my life.” - Marita
“You know you don’t have to thank me for that...I would do anything for you. I would do anything to save you.” - Sean

Experience the Legacy
ursa major is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
  #68
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa major (View Post)
I've also read reports from those who live in France that when they are filming there, she, Bradley and Colin are sometimes seen around town at dinner or out for drinks. There might have been some sparks there in the beginning, they are after all both beautiful and apparently passionate people, but I think they're just friends.

I've not read those because I don't know where they are but I have read 3rd person accounts and most of the sightings seem to be sans Colin and plus canoodling never put much stock in it because I figure if it were true there would be pictures everywhere.

You are probably right. I'm really new to all this fandom stuff. But I still think there is loads of smoke. Like the way he act just answering questions about the characters romance. I've never seen anything like it. He's hyper sensitive and evasive about Arthur/Gwen. I'd love for someone to ask him directly about Angel he'd probably go berserk.
merthurwen is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
  #69
Fan Forum Star

 
caught each other's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 127,393
I love all the art That scene was so heartbreaking to watch Angel is such a good actress

Love that pic
__________________
Merry Christmas
ll Emma l Icon: kurtscoffee ll
caught each other is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
  #70
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by merthurwen (View Post)
Not to worry. I'm sure those are the same people who complain about everything Gwen/Arwen/Angel. You can't have failed to have noticed all the talk about the triangle that popped up around the net. The real problem for them is that a third of the triangle pretty basically asked a third (whom would die for her what, a hundred times) to ensure the safe return of the third that is her heart. Doesn't really make for much of a triangle.

I'm not saying I know what will happen in this show but I do know that there doesn't have to be an affair. I've said many times that this Gwen is not the Gwen of popular legend but neither is this Arthur. Chretien de Troyes' Arthur was more like Uther (sans the hatred of magic) than the Welsh King Arthur. He not only introduced a French knight to turn the king into a cuckold but he also neutered the King and made Lancelot the center of the story.

Our Merlin team has reclaimed the Welsh King and made him the hero of the tale...maybe they are reclaiming the Welsh Queen who was not an adulteress and conspirator against her King until Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote her as such Can't see why any woman or Brit would be unhappy with that.
This so much. I see nothing wrong with modernizing this tale and leaving out the treachery and adultery altogether. I don't if it was you or someone else that pointed out how mysoginistic the traditional story is with women betraying the men at every oppotunity, but we certainly don' need that angle in 2011.

edit> add me as an Angel Coulby supporter please.
AGDoren is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  #71
Extreme Fan
 
ursa major's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,435
AGDoren

Welcome to the thread! Of course we all here agree that the writers of Merlin can tell a compelling story for Gwen without trashing the character with lies and infidelity.

I too believe this Guinevere and Arthur (and even Lancelot) are completely different from the characters depicted in the more popular stories of King Arthur and Camelot. There is no way in hell I could ever see Angel's Guinevere cheat on this Arthur or worse leave him to run off with Lancelot.

Anyway, I've added you to the list of supporters. Again, welcome!

merthurwen - It is strange how Bradley becomes so defensive (I don't know if that's what it is) when a discussion of Arthur and Gwen comes up. I don't know if he's just being a guy and therefore doesn't like to discuss the romantic side of his storylines or what. Like you, this does sometimes give me pause considering this is something all leading men/actors have to discuss about their characters whether they like talking about it or not.
__________________
“I want to thank you...for saving my life.” - Marita
“You know you don’t have to thank me for that...I would do anything for you. I would do anything to save you.” - Sean

Experience the Legacy
ursa major is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM
  #72
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 128
I'm pretty brand new to this fandom, but this is the 3rd mention of him being weird in interviews about the Arthur/Gwen pairing. I haven't been following, but I have 3 guesses:

1) As a man he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as a romantic lead and sex object (male actors put a lot of effort into resisting this)

2) He's getting some indirect flak because of race

3) He's getting some direct flak because of race

If you've followed any programs or fandoms you've seen that racism can have a negative impact on what makes it to our television screens. I want to add that even though I am an American I have done some research on race within the UK so I am not speaking entirely through an American filter.
AGDoren is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 PM
  #73
Extreme Fan
 
ursa major's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDoren (View Post)
If you've followed any programs or fandoms you've seen that racism can have a negative impact on what makes it to our television screens. I want to add that even though I am an American I have done some research on race within the UK so I am not speaking entirely through an American filter.
This is an interesting perspective. I’m American so I do understand what you mean about the race issue. However, it does seem as if the UK (despite having issues of their own) tend to do way more “blind” casting than the US. As I understand there have been several shows in the UK to explore romantic pairings between a character of color and a character that is white (with success). Though I do not believe there has been a show to explore it in this way, being that Merlin takes place during a time in which many believe people of color would not have been in England.

That said, even if Bradley talked endlessly about Arthur and Gwen, I don’t think any racism due to this would have an impact on the direction of the show. The writers/producers knew what they were getting into when they cast a petite woman of color for the role of Guinevere, a role that’s often been played by tall, fair women with long flowing hair and blue/green eyes. From what I’ve read there were people who were very unhappy that Angel was cast as Guinevere (some still are), but the show has been on for four seasons and each year TPTB continue to ramp up the Arthur/Guinevere story as well as add more layers to Gwen. So far, this year has been most impressive with the development of Gwen.

I’m leaning towards Bradley shying away from speaking on the romantic aspect of his character because he prefers to speak on the “masculine” adventures of his character. It’s no secret that he prefers his character’s swordplay over the “foreplay” with Gwen. If he does have fears about being pigeonholed into a romantic lead, I don’t think he has anything to worry about. Ther main story of Merlin is the relationship between the title character and Arthur as well as the knights. Therefore the chances of Bradley being typecast as a romantic lead IMO is minimal.
__________________
“I want to thank you...for saving my life.” - Marita
“You know you don’t have to thank me for that...I would do anything for you. I would do anything to save you.” - Sean

Experience the Legacy

Last edited by ursa major; 10-14-2011 at 09:53 PM
ursa major is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 PM
  #74
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 128
Well its purely speculation on my part in regards to Merlin. The UK is light-years ahead of US in this area that said I've seen racism in both UK and US fandoms very recently. There was some very strong race based hatred aimed at Freema Ageyman during her Dr. Who stint and don't get me started on True Blood.

I think you're right, I doubt it would affect the show, TPTB appear to be committed to this storyline which is awesome IMHO. I was thinking it could just cause some stress on the actors. Sometimes male actors also get weird about romantic leads or what they perceive as being an overly strong reaction from female fandom. Roger Howarth was totally freaked out by female reaction to his character on One Life to Live.
AGDoren is offline  
Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 AM
  #75
Part-Time Fan
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa major (View Post)
I’m leaning towards Bradley shying away from speaking on the romantic aspect of his character because he prefers to speak on the “masculine” adventures of his character. It’s no secret that he prefers his character’s swordplay over the “foreplay” with Gwen. If he does have fears about being pigeonholed into a romantic lead, I don’t think he has anything to worry about. Ther main story of Merlin is the relationship between the title character and Arthur as well as the knights. Therefore the chances of Bradley being typecast as a romantic lead IMO is minimal.

Yeah except in some interview he did he was going on about how much fun it was to do 3x6 (no swordplay) and according to something I read(tv.com) he tweeted that 3x10 was his least favorite. So I don't really think it's the swordplay v foreplay thing. Not to mention if his goal is major motion pictures, being seen as a romantic lead is a great gateway. It's just weird. They seem to be great friends and I don't think it's race but when all's said and done he does a great job on screen and the rest is just kinda fun to speculate about.
merthurwen is offline  
 

Bookmarks


Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 1998-2014, Fan Forum.