Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

5x13: Diamond of the Day - Part 2 Episode Discussion [Airs December 24th]

As the great battle rages on Camlann's mighty plain, Merlin faces his moment of destiny.
Can he find the strength to save the man he made a king, the Camelot they fought to build,
and the brotherhood they shared?

Merlin 5.13 promo

Diamond of the Day - Part 2 airs on December 24th at 8.15 pm on BBC One and is the last episode of the two part series finale of the very last series.

RULES:
No character or ship bashing.
Not everyone is going to agree with you, so please respect that.
Have fun and enjoy the episode.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I am scared out of my mind.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite Fan

Ya know, as sad as it was, I should have seen it coming ages ago. The legend has always ended in tragedy. So while there may be some things I didn't like, as a fan, it does feel kind of fitting that it ended the way it did.

I love this show, and I will miss it.

Well, I've said that. Now it's time to cry.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Elite Fan

Merlin and Arthur were perfect

I love that this ep. was all about them. They loved each other more than anyone else. Merlin waiting for Arthur
"Me and you..."
"It's a date."
Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

This episode was all about them They were epic but so heartbreaking I can't believe it is all over
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_pie04 (View Post)
Merlin and Arthur were perfect

I love that this ep. was all about them. They loved each other more than anyone else. Merlin waiting for Arthur
Yes. It was painfully obvious that Merlin was completely in love with Arthur. His whole existence ( every thought, every decision) revolved around him. His love for him was even more apparent when he is shown centuries later waiting for him to rise. How very sad.

When viewed out of context I think the episode was well done, but when taken in context with what we've seen over the past 5 seasons I can't say the same. So basically Merlin made all of these "sacrifices" for Arthur for what exactly? There was no golden age. Magic was never made legal, at least not under Arthur's leadership. Why again was Arthur so special? He wasn't the sharpest tool in the drawer. He could barely win a fight or make a sound decision without Merlin there to help him. He was king for 4 years and what amazing change did he make? He failed to change any of the laws his father had in place. Why did Merlin have to sacrifice who he was/is, a sorcerer, for this guy? Nothing that was prophesied as Arthur's great destiny came to pass. Very strange and very sad. But hey at least we got an awesome love story out of it - Arthur/Merlin.

Bradley and Colin were phenomonal. I have no doubt they'll go on to have great careers after this.

Experience the Legacy
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sooo depressing.

I wonder if Merlin went back to the kingdom with Gwen and Gauis.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by collide (View Post)
Sooo depressing.

I wonder if Merlin went back to the kingdom with Gwen and Gauis.
I would love it if he did. But the fact that we didn't see him at Gwen's coronation honestly makes me doubt he ever went back.

All they needed was one shot of him in the hall, finally accepted by the people as a sorcerer of Camelot. But they didn't.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

I dont think Merlin ever went back Camelot

Its sad that we didnt know if Camelot ever went on to accept Magic. Since thats what Merlin wanted the most.

I did like seeing Gwen being the sole Queen of Camelot. (even though she was already Queen)

Merlin waiting for Arthur made me the most sad.
"Me and you..."
"It's a date."
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_pie04 (View Post)
Its sad that we didnt know if Camelot ever went on to accept Magic. Since thats what Merlin wanted the most.

I did like seeing Gwen being the sole Queen of Camelot. (even though she was already Queen)
I think Gwen's talk with Gaius was supposed to tell us that Magic would be restored in Camelot. She knew that it was Merlin who had saved them in the battle, and she told Gaius "I am pleased" when she realized it had been him, and he was taking care of Arthur. Judging by that, once the dust settled from Camlaan, she'd likely have taken immediate steps to have Magic un-outlawed.

That's what I got from it, anyway.

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Elite Fan

Arthur told Merlin he didn't want him to change. Merlin wouldn't just give up on trying to help people and Camelot just like that.

At the end when he's an old man, Camelot and everyone Merlin loved are probably long gone. It makes sense for him to be there and wait for Arthur. But I don't believe he would have stayed there all that time.

He believed in the world Arthur built. There's no way he would let his legacy die with him just when he's finally discovered his full potential as a sorcerer.

Until the cast or the producers confirm otherwise, I'll believe that Merlin went back to Camelot to carry on the work that he and Arthur started.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Absolute Fan

I saw everything coming - I knew it was all coming - and I knew that some things that I wished for wouldn't happen - but Gwaine's death, I have to say, that was the one I didn't see coming, and his moment with Percival, I honestly think that small brief moment might have struck deeper in my heart than Arthur and Merlin's last moment. :'( Gwaine didn't deserve what Morgana did to him, and just the look in Percival's eyes...it just broke my heart...too bad Gwaine's death got overshadowed...

Arthur and Merlin were perfect as always, I love that they got their resolution which I suppose it's all that really mattered, this was always Merlin and Arthur's story...

I had hoped for a Morgana redemption, but after all she did this episode, I knew it just wasn't coming anymore...but I was still saddened by her departure...

And poor Mordred, the young man who really was the victim of fate and circumstances, I hope he has peace now...

And Merlin continuing to wait for Arthur to return...I hope Arthur returns with the dead knights and maybe Morgana and Mordred, so they could all save the world together and be reunited...

JEFFREY MACE|PATRIOT
Old 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

I've never posted here, but I love Merlin and I've been watching it since its first season.
This episode killed me, it was so sad and I have so many feelings right now but I feel like it was right, I've been expecting this for a long (though I still wish I was wrong). Merlin and Arthur were the heart of this show, and I'm so happy that they were together, at the end.
I really, really hoped they would show Arthur rising again, I was so sad in that moment and all I wanted was to see Arthur and Merlin together again, even for just a brief moment. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see this.

valentina
tumblr twitter
Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 AM
New Fan

Excellent episode, the battle was over in minutes, Emrys came, saw and conquered in like 2 minutes.

But ofcourse it was a very sad and emotional episode, so many deaths so many unhappy conclusions. However I'm glad that Arthur came to accept MErlin's magic and acknowledge him for everything he has done for Arthur and Camelot.

The only thing that bothers me is Merlin's logistical faux pas, I mean call the dragon before Arthur dies not after, man. Either way their bromance was the what I loved about MErlin the most and for Arthur to die in Merlin's hands... it was rather beautiful.

And did we need to see how Camelot coped with relaxed magic laws? Not really, we all knew it was going to happen but its how the story gets to that point we were watching. As for the lorry scene.. "LOL" that was great nice way to cheer me up by making me think "WTH was that?".
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

The episode was a sad and emotional one