Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

I think the actual jury serving part could be interesting, but you're not guaranteed a spot on a jury. My mom did it awhile back and never got picked.

So it's the go down to the courthouse everyday for 9 until what could be at late as 4:30, and sit around hoping you get picked, for two weeks that wasn't exciting. Oh and of course the bus ride there and back that isn't fun either.
Ria
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

See, my mom got lucky the last time. She just had to call the number on her slip like the day before and they let her know whether or not the number she had was in the group that was being called. It wasn't so she didn't have to go. My dad wasn't so lucky, though he only had to wait a couple hours, I think.

I really am lucky. I don't ever recall having gotten the summons letter to appear for jury duty. Once, maybe, but I've never had to physically go down there.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Elite Fan

Wow your mom and your dad, and possibly you have all been called for jury duty? It's kind of crazy to me because aside from my mom, I honestly don't know anyone else who has been summoned. I mean maybe people just never mentioned it or something, but

I hate because of the county that I live in that I have to travel downtown though. I don't enjoy going downtown by myself.
Ria
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Actually, before I was born, my mom made it onto a jury in a murder trial. She said it was crazy and a little nuts. That was her first time too.

My brother has been called once or twice too. We must just be lucky, I guess. I wouldn't mind being on a jury...other than the fact that it would take me away from work. And whatever they pay you to serve on jury duty isn't going to make up that money. Not at all.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah here is they pay you $10 a day.

My work actually pays you your wages if you have to serve in jury duty. But since it's inventory time they wouldn't pay me for any extra hours I'd work because of that, which is why I postponed.
Ria
Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

See, I don't know what the library would to tbh. I think my boss would want to pay me at least half a day's pay for it but she's confined to what she can do by the budget.

Just finished watching Anonymous. It was kind of dull, tbh. Then again, I find most movies are anymore. Like I watched The Hunger Games last night and all I kept thinking was "man, this is long..."
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Our History (View Post)
See, I don't know what the library would to tbh. I think my boss would want to pay me at least half a day's pay for it but she's confined to what she can do by the budget.
Yeah it obviously depends on your work. Since I for Scholastic, which is a bigger company, then a library, they obviously have more money to allow. But I was talking to my lead and she said that you get paid, you just have to fill out a paper.

Quote:
Just finished watching Anonymous. It was kind of dull, tbh. Then again, I find most movies are anymore. Like I watched The Hunger Games last night and all I kept thinking was "man, this is long..."
I tend to be a person who is pretty easy to please when it comes to movies. There isn't very often when I don't really like a movie I see.

I saw Like Crazy (finally) recently though, and it was very different then I thought it would be. It started a little slow, but definitely picked up at the end.
Ria
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I found out today that they paid me for last Monday, when I was at the conference. They are also paying for my mileage. So who knows. I'm glad to be getting that money though. It can only help.

I bought that movie for the library's DVD collection. I have been kind of here and there about it, since it's really not my sort of movie. But I'll keep what you're saying in mind.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Elite Fan

Well that's really cool Beth.

So my boss usually gives out spot bonuses around this time to a few employees who did really well this past year (I got one last year). But we told us that this fiscal year they had spend all the money (our fiscal year ends in June I believe), so they didn't have any extra money to give them out. BUT because of that, he decided to give me a promotion and a raise! I'm really excited about it.
Ria
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmm... our fiscal year ends at the end of June. I wonder if one has anything to do with the other, seeing as we're both technically in the 'book industry.' But that's cool about your raise and promotion. Are you full-time? I can never keep track of these sorts of things, even when you guys say them. Details aren't my strong suit.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not entirely sure which month, I just know it's in the summer sometime cause we do our inventory then. I think ours follows the regular school calendar, since we deal book fairs for the schools; maybe libraries are the same way?

No, I'm still part time. But I'll be up to a guaranteed 30 hours this summer, and now with the promotion I'm hoping that I'll be getting even more.
Ria
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Anything is possible.

That's pretty. Just gotta keep moving up the ladder rung-by-rung. That's the only way to do it anymore.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Does anyone else have tomorrow off (May day) or is it just a British thing?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it's a British because I'm on my 4th cup off coffee just so I'll be functional at work today. Unf.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah I have to work as well, must be something British or other countries.

I'm going to be really busy this week, we have our semi annual warehouse sale that started on Friday and I have to start at 3pm (where I usually start at 6) and then I have to work on Saturday as well. But I'll try to post as much as I can.
Ria