Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm kind of jealous! I would love to work at home although I'm sure I wouldn't get done anything But I'm happy for you That's awesome!

And your sons, do they have girlfriends or children already? I know, I'm curious and if you don't want to let us know, it's okay
BTW - I'll bring some picture over at the fan picture thread in a few minutes from our vacation! If you're interested. Will update each day with a few new ones.

About the reading taste, same here!
And you make me want to start with the series! Now It's not finished though, right?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

No, no marriages for them, no grandchildren for me. I guess it could still happen but they both seem to prefer the single life.

I'm eager to see your pictures!

George Martin is very slow writing the ASOIAF books. I think there are going to be 2 more, but the 5 he's written are huge and will probably take a long time to read if you don't have a lot of spare time. iirc, the next one, "Winds of Winter," should be out next year.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't read as many books lately because we haven't had reading time at work in a very long time. I miss it.

But I did finish two series recently, Allegiant (last in the Divergent series) and Reached (last in the Matched series), I'm trying to decide what I want to read next. I was going to re-read Mockingjay, but I want something happy after the end of Allegiant.

My cousin told me I to read ASOFAI books, and I'd like too but they're so huge and I have so many other books to read. I remember how long it took me to read the Sword of Truth books, that was at least a month and that was when I didn't have a job.

Kris I'm excited to see your pictures! You still have to tell us about the last days of our trip. I can't wait to hear about them.

My laptop charger decided to stop working yesterday and my battery was dying so I wasn't able to get on until later today. But luckily I could just bring it to the Mac store and they replaced it just like that, took all but 5/10 minutes.

Hope you all had a good New Years. My friends party was fun, I ended up crashing on the couch, and then on New Years Day my family and I went to lunch and then saw Frozen. It was really good.
Ria
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ria, the Song of Ice & Fire books are not upbeat at all - in fact, they're quite depressing; but the writing is so good, the characters so finely drawn and that world so absorbing, that they are worth the investment of time and angst.

Your NYE/Day sounds almost perfect!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sherry, never give up hope Maybe they will meet the women of their lives.

Aww, awesome! I promise, I'll start on them soon, but first I have to read the latest book of the SoT series (that's the books Legend of the Seeker is based on, you should give them a try )

Ria, I read about you being totally down after the end of Allegiant. And now I really consider not reading the series... You wrote it's worse than Mockingjay and that's frightening!

A job really can ruin life, right? No, joking. I'm happy I have one! And I love my job

Frozen is amazing, isn't it? I can't wait for the dvd.

Where exactly had I stopped telling you about the vacation? Did we talk about my visit at the Kennedy Space Center already?

I at least start to feel a bit better slowly... I'm so happy. But my doc ordered me to stay at home the whole next week as well. That's so long. A lot of reading and dvd watching time
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm so glad your doctor instructed you to stay home another week, Kris! You could have a relapse if you go back too soon.
Anyway, I hope you contnue to feel better .. and the same for your cute bf.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, the relapse was her concern, too... And of course me taking three different meds that suppress my immune system. I'm a rare case

My bf will go back to work starting on Monday. He can talk again! The silence was driving me crazy!

And you know what I did to get around? I started watching animes that I used to watch when I was young. So cool!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know that I've ever watched an anime. They are Japanese animations?

Glad the bf can talk again, just in time to go back to work! Now it will be silent at home again, but in a different way.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's like cartoons Like Sailor Moon and Inuyasha and sooo many more.

Oh yes... That will be a really silent week, but I have some laundry to do, I'll cook a lot, read and watch animes and my shows that will start the upcoming week. I won't be bored at all and I have to enjoy the one week because afterwards it three straight months until my next few days off.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

That sounds like a good plan!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

It does, doesn't it?

What's your plans for the week, Sherry?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

My older son's birthday is Thursday, so I'll do some marketing for a special dinner and shop around for a gift.
It's always difficult to find a birthday gift for him because it's so soon after Christmas.

We usually have the birthday dinner on the weekend after his actual day, but younger son is going to the mountains to do photography that weekend.
Instead, we'll do a family dinner another week later.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Elite Fan

Kris, it's not so much of a bad ending, as it's more really sad. I don't know, I still think the books are worth reading and you should judge how you feel about the end for yourself, but it's definitely interesting.

Frozen was so cute! I loved Olaf, he was the best.

The last thing you told us about, I believe, was Sea World.

It's going to be super cold here tomorrow, like a high of -11. They've cancelled school in the whole state. The wind chills could be up to a -40 degrees. So not many plans tomorrow, except that I have to work.

Hope everyone enjoyed your weekend.
Ria
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh yes, I can see that being difficult, Sherry... And no idea yet? How old is your son? Any hobbies?
Those birthday dinners sound awesome. And you go to a restaurant therefore? Or do you cook on your own?

Sad is nevertheless not good. I would cry again because I already did while reading Mockingjay.

Okay, Sea World we did on Sunday... On Monday it was the Kennedy Space Center. We chose Monday because there was supposed to be a rocket launch of a satellite. So we went there, got the ticket and the extra ticket for the rocket launch. The launch was supposed to be in a time mirror from 5.35 pm to 6.42 pm So before we had enough time to have a look at all the stuff in the museum. It was really interesting. There even is a rocket launch simulator and we did it. So funny and well done.

Afterwards we headed to the buses that brought us to the rocket launch. There was a big museum again and then we gathered to see the launch. It was damn cold and when the time mirror started it was dark already. You could see the rocket... But, as it is with rocket launches, the start was put on hold two times because of problems but the countdown was re-started the two times. Then there was a last and final put on hold and the time mirror was over... No rocket launch for us and I could have cried, really... How often do you get the possibility to see a rocket launch.

You have to go to work nevertheless. Be careful, Ria. You know, when I followed the news on the cold in the US I was wondering if you were effected since I know you live there somewhere... That's damn cold! Therefore we didn't have any winter this winter at all. No snow and temperatures like in spring.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ria, I thought about you under that intense cold dome, too. I wish you didn't have to go out to work. Please be careful and safe.
It's going to be below 0 (F.) here, which is almost unheard of in NC, but that is nothing to what you'll get in MN and other parts of the Midwest & Northeast.
I heard even New Orleans has a hard freeze warning. Lucky it will move out pretty fast, according to the predictions.

Kris, I cook. My sons can go out and eat at restaurants anytime, and do. They like my home-cooked meals for special occasions.
I ended up with a gift card that can be applied to the new lap-top my son is planning to buy. Easy!

I'm sorry you didn't get to see the rocket launch. That would've been a big deal to me, too.