Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Now, is she an American based actress then? Or is she based out of Australia?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

American. I remember on Seeker thinking that her and Bridget were more of less the only two Americans on set during those episodes.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gotcha. I figured that it would probably be easier for her to get work in a video like that if she were based in the states. Is it mentioned anywhere how she came across the role of Nicci?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow, then Emily is the same age I am. I didn't expect that somehow... But now, with this video being released in 2006 it definitely could be.

Beth, I'd really like to know how she became casted as Nicci. And why they had to change the actress because first it was Jolene.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I still don't understand why they cast Jolene in the first place . a) the writers must of known they'd use the character more than just two episodes b) for ratings, did they even change? c) not that many people liked her portrayal and eventually preferred Emily's.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Elite Fan

For some reason I always thought that she was Australian, I didn't realize she was American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilty ones (View Post)
I still don't understand why they cast Jolene in the first place . a) the writers must of known they'd use the character more than just two episodes b) for ratings, did they even change? c) not that many people liked her portrayal and eventually preferred Emily's.
The only reason I think they cast Jolene was for ratings, to try and lure people in by advertising she was in the show. i remember the preview for the episode specially focusing on her. I wonder if originally they weren't sure they were going to keep her character, so they cast for only a little bit. Or they always knew that that was how they were going to do it, and knew that the actress was going to change, so just put someone famous as first and then actually cast someone that fit the part for the long run
Ria
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Same here... I always thought her to be an Australian actress.

It would really have been senseless if it just was for ratings. I was totally confused by the change of the actress from Jolene to Emily. I wondered if it happened the same way in the books, that she changed in her looks so much. But in the books it's always been Nicci the way we know her. No death, nothing.

But yeah, it definitely could have been for the famous cast... It was the same with Creator.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-weasel! (View Post)
The only reason I think they cast Jolene was for ratings, to try and lure people in by advertising she was in the show. i remember the preview for the episode specially focusing on her.
Is she that big of a deal, though? Jolene, I mean. Because, honestly, I'd never seen her before she was on LotS? I don't get why she'd be such a huge draw, or why they'd focus on her, if she wasn't a well-known actress.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Our History (View Post)
Is she that big of a deal, though? Jolene, I mean. Because, honestly, I'd never seen her before she was on LotS? I don't get why she'd be such a huge draw, or why they'd focus on her, if she wasn't a well-known actress.
Yeah, she was. She's big because of Star Trek So while she's not famous to all people, Star Trek people, who would possible like the fantasy aspect of LotS, would know her
Ria
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

Jolene was the reason why I started watching LotS in the first place, I'm a big Star Trek fan and loved her in Enterprise, she was the second best Vulcan, after Leonard Nimoy.

And to be honest, I think she is a better actress than Emily Foxler, she would've done a much better job with Nicci in later episodes. Imho Emily was mediocre at best in Princess and Bound, except in the last scene, she was pretty good there, and in Tears too.

Also, is hair/eye color that important? I think the actor's performance is what really matters. I wish they brought Jolene back, Bound would've been a really great episode with her.

And since I mentioned Bound, Michael Nouri was brilliant, John Rhys-Davies too in Vengeance.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros (View Post)
Also, is hair/eye color that important? I think the actor's performance is what really matters. I wish they brought Jolene back, Bound would've been a really great episode with her.
Actually surprising enough, that does matter to A LOT of people. The amount of complaints I hear people say when their favorite character's eye color isn't right. I've heard people even mention that Richard didn't have grey eyes like he was suppose to...or Kahlan needed green ones. And while I would have preferred the blonde hair (eye color I could care less about), it didn't matter a ton to me. It wasn't only hair/eye color for the reason that I liked Emily better. But in general you do try and get someone who looks similar to the character version. But I personally thought Emily did a better job, and she captured the book!Nicci character a lot better. It's all a matter of opinion, but for me Jolene didn't have it, and I would have been disappointed in how they portrayed Nicci, someone I really liked in the books, if they had kept Jolene in. I'm sure she's a fine actress, but for me she didn't embody Nicci to me. I could have been able to get over the hair color, if the acting had been up to par for me.
Ria
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Dedicated Fan

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the Nicci Jolene had to play was different from the one Emily had to.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros (View Post)
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the Nicci Jolene had to play was different from the one Emily had to.
What do you mean?
Ria
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, she was. She's big because of Star Trek So while she's not famous to all people, Star Trek people, who would possible like the fantasy aspect of LotS, would know her
Ah, okay. That makes sense then. I mean, Trek and Seeker aren't exactly the same genre, but definitely still in that Sci-Fi/Fantasy arena together.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
What do you mean?
Oops, a "bit" late with the reply, hope you don't mind.

Jolene had to play a different Nicci because she had to act like she was scared and frankly just nothing like Nicci, most of the time. We only saw the real Nicci in a few scenes, twice in Dark (one of them only lasted for a few seconds, when the Sisters of the Light took her away - loved her wicked facial expression there, btw) and twice in Perdition too, when she escaped thanks to the spider (I hate them but mad respect for Jolene, she let that big one crawl all over her and somehow managed to make it look hot) and during the big fight at the end.

Emily should've played that Nicci in Princess but her performance there was just bland, could've been any of the Sisters. She struggled a lot with it in Bound but was better in Tears. I think Jolene could've done a much better jub with the full character when there was more to work with in the latter two episodes.