Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You only have like, 8 months or something.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Well I finished my S4 rewatch tonight.

This show makes me so emotional.

I know a lot of people hate the time jump, but I *really* needed to see that Clarke was okay after Praimfaya.

I spent some time thinking about what she meant in her message to Bellamy at the end -

Quote:
"It's been safe for you to come down for over a year now ... why haven't you? The bunker's gone silent, too. We tried digging them out for a while, but there was too much rubble. I haven't made contact with them either."
It sounds like a contradiction, that the bunker has gone silent, yet she hasn't made contact with them (presumably in the entire six years and seven days). But I think she must mean that at first when she and Madi were trying to dig them out, they could hear signs of life on the other side, but now even that has stopped. (I refuse to believe that means they're all dead, and I really don't think the show will go there. But something has changed.)

And I still believe we're not finished with ALIE yet.

Quote:
Raven: "ALIE was on the Ark. ALIE was on the Ark ... I was right there, so close to the Kill Switch, but she got away by transmitting herself to the ring."

Emori: "By using the pod in the temple."

Raven: "Yes! And if she can do it, so can we."
I just can't shake the feeling they're reminding us of this for a reason.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A lot of people hate the time jump?
ICON
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
A lot of people hate the time jump?
Well, thinking about it, that probably wasn't here on this board. It was probably on another board that I skim the posts on after episodes, where most of the posters fell out of love with the show a couple of seasons ago. (Why I even read it, I don't know. Glutton for punishment I guess? Every once in a while somebody brings up something that makes me think, though, so it's good for that.)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the time jump! I mean it made me mega emo, but I think it was needed.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

I have to admit that I was torn about the time jump (and still am, to some extent) but four seasons in, I think that it might be a good move to accelerate the storyline whilst keeping things fresh. I'll reserve judgement until I watch season 5.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Of course I'll wait to see how it plays out next season, but right now I'm kinda torn about the time jump. On the one hand, it seems like a copout to me. Like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out what to do with the world they'd created, so they're wiping everything out and starting over (like God flooding the world and trying again with only Noah and his family?). I never felt like they fully explored the world as it was before the death wave--for example I was very curious if there were other pockets of humanity that had survived elsewhere in the world, and if so what would happen when they made contact with the 12 grounder clans that we know--so now that's a lot of unexplored potential that was just wiped out.

On the other hand, once the writers had committed to the death wave coming they pretty much had to do a time jump. Until almost the very end of the season I thought they were going to find some way to stop praimfaya precisely because I couldn't imagine them showing 5 years in the bunker and I didn't think they'd do a time jump. Oops! But I can admit that the time jump does open up a lot of interesting possibilities. Partly that's flashbacks to all the interesting stuff going on in the bunker, in space, and on the ground. But it can't be mostly about flashbacks-if so they might as well have just shown the six years in sequence. As a Clarke fan, I'm excited about the situation she'll be in as the season opens: The only person (along with Madi)who is on the surface, free to act, and familiar with the post-Praimfaya terrain, she's facing the arrival of a completely new element in that prison ship, plus will no doubt have to find a way to help the people trapped in the bunker and possibly on the Ark.

And on the third hand (can I have one more hand?), my new theory: Time jumps on this show exist primarily to allow Clarke time and emotional space to get ready for a new romantic relationship. The 3 months at the beginning of S3 allowed her to get over Finn and be ready to fully fall in love with Lexa. As Lexa was considerably more consequential than Finn, she needed six years to be ready to move on this time. You heard it here first, folks: S5 will introduce Clarke's endgame romantic relationship. Oh yeah, it will also be about saving the human race and repopulating the earth.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Well I finished my S4 rewatch tonight.

This show makes me so emotional.

It sounds like a contradiction, that the bunker has gone silent, yet she hasn't made contact with them (presumably in the entire six years and seven days). But I think she must mean that at first when she and Madi were trying to dig them out, they could hear signs of life on the other side, but now even that has stopped. (I refuse to believe that means they're all dead, and I really don't think the show will go there. But something has changed.)
Same. The show still wrecks me to bits, and this season was no exception.

I saw it in that way too. That she initially could hear them in the bunker but after a while, that stopped for reasons unknown. No way I'll believe that they're all dead, it's too morbid even for this show and plus, there's still some central characters in there ... and I don't believe that their stories are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
Of course I'll wait to see how it plays out next season, but right now I'm kinda torn about the time jump. On the one hand, it seems like a copout to me. Like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure out what to do with the world they'd created, so they're wiping everything out and starting over (like God flooding the world and trying again with only Noah and his family?). I never felt like they fully explored the world as it was before the death wave--for example I was very curious if there were other pockets of humanity that had survived elsewhere in the world, and if so what would happen when they made contact with the 12 grounder clans that we know--so now that's a lot of unexplored potential that was just wiped out.
Ahh that's a good point. Now, I wish that they'd explore the other clans too ... the entire list of clans:

Trikru
Azgeda
Floukru

Sangedakru
Yujleda
Boudalan
Trishanakru
Podakru
Ouskejon Kru
Delfikru
Ingranrona
Louwoda Kliron
Skaikru

Source

Still a lot of clans that we don't know about.

Also, does anyone think that something will come out of the bit of information that TPTB threw in there this season ... about the pockets of Earth (5%, was it?) which would not be affected by the death wave? Or are we to presume that was where Clarke was, when we see her after the time jump? Since she mentioned to Bellamy on the radio about asking Raven to aim for the one spot of green.

Taryn, I'm 50/50 on the ALIE mention. On one hand, I think that we've seen the last of her but you could be right, the show never mentions random things for nothing (well, most of the time ) so I wonder if anything will come out of that comment, next season.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won

Last edited by destroyer of worlds; 06-23-2017 at 09:39 AM
Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Total Fan

Trishanakru = Ilian
Old 06-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're right, Laura. Forgot to bold that.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 06-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty lies (View Post)

Now, I wish that they'd explore the other clans too ... the entire list of clans:

Trikru
Azgeda
Floukru

Sangedakru
Yujleda
Boudalan
Trishanakru
Podakru
Ouskejon Kru
Delfikru
Ingranrona
Louwoda Kliron
Skaikru

Source

Still a lot of clans that we don't know about.

Also, does anyone think that something will come out of the bit of information that TPTB threw in there this season ... about the pockets of Earth (5%, was it?) which would not be affected by the death wave? Or are we to presume that was where Clarke was, when we see her after the time jump? Since she mentioned to Bellamy on the radio about asking Raven to aim for the one spot of green.
This could be interesting in the bunker--we have 100 representatives from each of the clans needing to learn to live together. Maybe in flashbacks we'll get some glimpses of the other clans we don't know much about. I'm also curious to see if they emerge from the bunker still identifying as 12 separate groups with their own separate cultures, or if in all that time underground they'll come out with a unified WonKru culture.

And the 5% pockets I would think would be important as everyone emerges onto the surface. Clarke's clearly found one of them, but there should be others. I hope that a big part of Season 5 will be exploring the new post-apocalyptic world and figuring out how to survive in it. That was one aspect of Season 1 that I really liked that I think has been somewhat overlooked since--the human vs nature struggle to survive in a harsh world, but also a world with unexpected moments of real beauty.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

Honestly I think it could go either way. I think there's a good possibility that Clarke and Madi were in one of the unaffected spots, but right now there's no way to know if it's even close to a location we were familiar with during the show, or if after the bunker went silent they began roaming around looking for signs of life elsewhere. You can cover a lot of ground in six years. (Although, unless the lab was destroyed in Praimfaya, why did they not just stay there? Did they start to run out of food and so had to venture out? It certainly looked like they were living out of the Rover. SO MANY QUESTIONS. ) (Editing to add - actually, I guess running out of food in the lab is a very good possibility, since they were already going to have to ration the food they took into space until the algae plants started blooming.)

I also don't think there's any reason to think the 5% (or whatever it was) would have been all or even mostly in the North American region. It's my presumption that the unaffected areas would be places that were farthest from where any nuke plants were, since them melting down was what cause Praimfaya 2.0.

Quote:
I'm also curious to see if they emerge from the bunker still identifying as 12 separate groups with their own separate cultures, or if in all that time underground they'll come out with a unified WonKru culture.
Your use of 'Wonkru' made me remember something I wondered about after Die All but never saw anyone mention - do we know for sure Octavia was saying Wonkru as in One (unified) Kru, or might she have been saying Wankru as in Death Kru (Heda = Commander, Wanheda = Commander of Death).

Death Kru would certainly be accurate, if morbid since they are literally all that's left after the death of the rest of humanity.

Last edited by destroyer of worlds; 06-24-2017 at 08:52 AM
Old 06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Your use of 'Wonkru' made me remember something I wondered about after Die All but never saw anyone mention - do we know for sure Octavia was saying Wonkru as in One (unified) Kru, or might she have been saying Wankru as in Death Kru (Heda = Commander, Wanheda = Commander of Death).

Death Kru would certainly be accurate, if morbid since they are literally all that's left after the death of the rest of humanity.
I'm pretty sure she was saying Wonkru as in unified, but you're right that Wankru would make a certain morbid sense.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I had kind of assumed that they were never able to make contact with the bunker, but now that you mention it, it does sound like she may have had some sort of contact and then lost it. I agree that they're probably not all dead, but I'm curious to see what may have happened in there.

Quote:
I have to admit that I was torn about the time jump (and still am, to some extent) but four seasons in, I think that it might be a good move to accelerate the storyline whilst keeping things fresh. I'll reserve judgement until I watch season 5.
I feel pretty much the same way. Big time jumps totally reset the board which I think is a risk for any series, and sometimes it pays off but sometimes it doesn't. But I think it is kind of necessary just because of how quickly the show moves. Everything that's happened so far has been less than a year and that is A LOT of stuff to happen in such a short period of time. I think this gives the characters a chance to develop on a longer time scale. And, as you said, I think it does help keep things fresh. Depending on how the writers handle it, I think it could be a really great thing for the show.

Quote:
This could be interesting in the bunker--we have 100 representatives from each of the clans needing to learn to live together. Maybe in flashbacks we'll get some glimpses of the other clans we don't know much about. I'm also curious to see if they emerge from the bunker still identifying as 12 separate groups with their own separate cultures, or if in all that time underground they'll come out with a unified WonKru culture.
I'm really curious about that too, especially how united the clans remain once the bunker doors open. That could be a really interesting story line in season 5, especially if some people disagree on what should happen with wonkru once they get out of the bunker.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
(Although, unless the lab was destroyed in Praimfaya, why did they not just stay there? Did they start to run out of food and so had to venture out? It certainly looked like they were living out of the Rover. SO MANY QUESTIONS. ) (Editing to add - actually, I guess running out of food in the lab is a very good possibility, since they were already going to have to ration the food they took into space until the algae plants started blooming.)

I also don't think there's any reason to think the 5% (or whatever it was) would have been all or even mostly in the North American region. It's my presumption that the unaffected areas would be places that were farthest from where any nuke plants were, since them melting down was what cause Praimfaya 2.0.

Yup, I presume that the food would have run out after a few months at most. Otherwise, the 8 of them would have considered staying there and wait out the death wave for a while ... it would be different if they could grow algae there but I'm guessing that they didn't have the resources to. It also looked to me that Clarke/Madi were living out of the rover. After a while, they may have been able to find food growing elsewhere and probably used the rover to get to those food sources.

Agreed, it makes sense that the spot of green/unaffected area would be as far away as possible from the nuclear plants and hence, may be nowhere near Becca's lab/mansion or Arkadia. Wonder how long Clarke/Madi took to find the spot of green then.

I never thought about it but that is interesting. One = Wan so she could have been saying Wankru.

Yes, that would certainly be fitting in a morbid way.

Quote:

And the 5% pockets I would think would be important as everyone emerges onto the surface. Clarke's clearly found one of them, but there should be others. I hope that a big part of Season 5 will be exploring the new post-apocalyptic world and figuring out how to survive in it. That was one aspect of Season 1 that I really liked that I think has been somewhat overlooked since--the human vs nature struggle to survive in a harsh world, but also a world with unexpected moments of real beauty.
Perhaps, I think that it would be an interesting aspect to cover since the clans are all so different (based on the clans that we do know already) and have never spent (presumably) that much time together before and now they're all boxed in for 6 years. That'll change things and certainly the dynamics within the clans, including Skaikru.

I really hope that they get back to that aspect which worked so well in season 1, I do get why it was altered in the other seasons since TPTB had specific stories to tell but at the same time, I do miss that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1marie (View Post)
I feel pretty much the same way. Big time jumps totally reset the board which I think is a risk for any series, and sometimes it pays off but sometimes it doesn't. But I think it is kind of necessary just because of how quickly the show moves. Everything that's happened so far has been less than a year and that is A LOT of stuff to happen in such a short period of time. I think this gives the characters a chance to develop on a longer time scale. And, as you said, I think it does help keep things fresh. Depending on how the writers handle it, I think it could be a really great thing for the show.
True, everything in the first four seasons happened in a short span of time which is pretty insane ... considering just how much the characters have been through. So for the time jump to happen now, it affords the show an opportunity to move the story along and give a different perspective on the characters/relationships (we can already see how different Clarke seems, after 6 peaceful years) and hopefully, TPTB can do it justice.

+ Really old replies :

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
For me the two feel different because Octavia in this case, with the end of the world coming literally in days, she has had no opportunity to show remorse. There hasn't really been time for her to show that she feels bad about what she did. And it feels to me that that room could've been there for Clarke. They could've potentially shown us that Clarke regrets her choices, with little comments and such, just like they showed us how Bellamy felt. And they chose not to show us that with Clarke.

And with this discussing I'm already getting more perspective and getting to the point where I'm like: "Yeah, she IS no Bellamy who does wear his heart on his sleeve, so it DOES make sense for Clarke's personality that she hasn't." I'm already coming more into acceptance than I was 4 days ago

I still don't know if I'll ever grow to appreciate it, but that's a whole other matter

So Octavia in this short amount of time didn't really have the chance / time to show any regret. Clarke could've, but didn't.
I kind of have to disagree with this. I don't see it as Clarke having more time to process everything ... Octavia had a brief period of quiet when she was in Polis, together with Kane, but she still killed an innocent boy and didn't seem to feel any remorse over it. Even when Kane called her out on it. That troubled me. This is in contrast with Clarke, who clearly felt guilt over her actions to take the bunker. Of course, it's still wrong that she took it in the first place but my point is that you could see that she wasn't completely 100% fine with the move; just that she thought that was still the best decision to take at that time. I do agree that she didn't show sufficient guilt/remorse over Ton DC though.

As for her beating up Bellamy, she's also had sufficient time IMO to think about how she acted in that manner out of anger, towards someone who's always put her welfare above his own. But yet, we have never seen her regret her actions towards Bellamy since then.

Yup, I do think that it's partially due to the differences in Bellamy and Clarke's personalities which influence how they react to situations. However, it should not be used as a convenient excuse either.

I will agree that Clarke grappling with the morality/ethical ramnifications of her actions has not been fleshed out as well as it should, but I just don't see how it has been done better in Octavia's case. It feels like it's being swept under the carpet in that sense, just like how Murphy's actions were in season 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
With the time jump, I no longer NEED to see/hear Octavia apologize to Bellamy (not saying I wouldn't like it, just that I no longer need it). And I won't need IF she changes her way.

But if I say that that goes for Octavia; that a 6 years time jump is enough for me to accept that she has changed and moved on, then I need to do the same with Clarke. And I will. Hiatus is long, I will get to that point. But then still I will (I think ) forever be bitter that Clarke hasn't been shown to better her ways in the time already spent.
I don't need to see it either. Actions speak louder than words and as long as something similar doesn't happen again, it's enough for me to believe that she's changed and moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1marie (View Post)
The outcomes of her decisions aren't pretty but the way Clarke's decisions are framed I don't think there is always a choice available that wouldn't lead to bad results. She touched on this herself in the finale with the 'every choice I make someone dies' line. So I think Clarke being willing to make those decisions is a positive personality trait. It's a lot harder to make the decision than it is to judge the person who stepped up.

That being said, I think sometimes Clarke loses sight of the negative consequences of her choices. Every time she says that she didn't have a choice I cringe a little bit because there is ALWAYS a choice, even if there aren't any good ones. And I think she can use that mentality to justify making bad decisions without even trying to find a better way.For example, with TonDC, I really think there were other options. The could have tried to find the guy in the trees and then Mount Weather would assume that was why they evacuated. They could have trusted that Bellamy would be able to handle himself since he knew that the mountain men would be suspecting an inside man. They could have moved their meeting for another reason and saved more lives even if they didn't save all of them. But every time Clarke says she didn't have a choice, she absolves herself of the responsibilty to actually weigh the moral implications of her choices.
YAS, Marie. Especially the last comment, it is so spot on and way better than how I'd articulate myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
I don't know, I've actually always interpreted it the former way, as "there were other possibilities/things she could have done . . . and she DIDN'T." And that's why I've never really had a difficult time saying that I think that was one of the most questionable of Clarke's choices.
Absolutely. I think what really troubled me about TonDC was how Clarke took Lexa's word as gospel and that she didn't even try to find an alternative to it. Tipping the Mountain Men off about Bellamy aside, I feel like that was an excuse/cop out when it comes to explaining her actions there. There was no certainty about him being exposed because of it and he was already risking his life every minute he was in there, and could have been easily found out through other means.

This is why I have a hard time buying that Lexa being around Clarke was a good thing ... around her, she seemed more like a follower than a leader.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won