New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Fan Art

I can't wait to see what you have to say Sarah

I think I saw in total 3 minor spoilers and they all have to do with Octavia. How lucky I am, the only stuff I bump into, has to do with her
Maybe I should leave Tumblr

Octavia beating down on Bellamy is such a hard, but perfectly done scene
Some of the hardest scenes to watch on this show I felt were shot perfectly and just turned out to be all over perfect scenes in terms of how it was shot & music & the freaking acting.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. Lincoln's death scene is another one like that for me.

Agreed, Sarah. And I especially think that, when a woman is violent on this show, it gets equated to badassery. With the men, it seems to be interpreted differently.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
April7739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
The 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
I can't wait to see what you have to say Sarah

I think I saw in total 3 minor spoilers and they all have to do with Octavia. How lucky I am, the only stuff I bump into, has to do with her
Maybe I should leave Tumblr

Octavia beating down on Bellamy is such a hard, but perfectly done scene
Some of the hardest scenes to watch on this show I felt were shot perfectly and just turned out to be all over perfect scenes in terms of how it was shot & music & the freaking acting.
I'll have to comment more tomorrow, not tonight.

Maybe you should. I hardly ever get spoiled on Tumblr because I don't follow tags, it's always darn Twitter.

It was a perfectly done scene for sure but yes, I still can't watch it because it breaks my heart too much. Same goes for Lincoln's death scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. Lincoln's death scene is another one like that for me.

Agreed, Sarah. And I especially think that, when a woman is violent on this show, it gets equated to badassery. With the men, it seems to be interpreted differently.
Agreed, it's double standards going on there. Maybe, women aren't perceived naturally physical when it comes to fights/combat and there are legit cases where their actions can be regarded as fierce/badass but there should be a line drawn when it comes to gratuitous violence and how such violence is viewed. Not just in Octavia's case but generally.
pretty lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Fan Art

I agree!

Quote:
This is in absolutely no way excusing her behavior and excessive use of violence. I hate what they have done to her as she used to be one of the characters I most identified and now I don’t recognize her.
Octavia Blake grew up under the floor, she grew up loved but she grew up quiet and fearful. One of the first things Octavia learned was to be silent, Octavia grew with the knowledge that she couldn’t really have emotions, she spent much of her childhood alone in a tiny grey room. Let me repeat this: Until Octavia got to the ground she wasn’t allowed or encouraged to feel anything.
Now the ground is harsh and violent and dangerous and one of the first things Octavia learns is that violence is an acceptable way of getting what you want. The Trikru spear Jasper and string him up to strike fear into the Delinquents. Jasper is someone who Octavia cares for deeply, especially in those early days and she quickly learns that she needs to learn how to fight in order to survive. She learns that she is allowed to feel and she does, recklessly and desperately. She feel in love with Lincoln and he was able to ground her. He was able to tamper her recklessness and violence and we saw how she acted when she believed Indra had taken him 2x02, Indra admired her for threatening Nyko, for being so violent and she furthered internalized that violence was a good way of doing things.
She fell in love with Lincoln and then the grounder culture and then she lost Indra at MW and now’s she lost Lincoln and she’s back to being that scared girl living under the floor and that freaks her out. Octavia feels like she has lost the person that grounds her.
I think she feels trapped by her own grief and her inability to control herself and her emotions is leading her to turn her emotions off.

That ending scene with Pike is a prime example, Octavia is expressionless as she walks off and for a character who is as defined by her passion as Octavia is, that emotionlessness is incredibly dangerous. She has no understanding of the consequences of her actions because she’s never been taught that her actions have consequences. Unlike Bellamy whose code is protection and responsibility and love, Octavia’s code is quiet and stealth and stillness and to be unseen. Bellamy since Octavia’s birth has been aware of consequences but Octavia was never taught that
Octavia has the emotional maturity and depth of a young kid, she now feels like she back on the ark and that scares the living daylights out of her and then you add the fact that being scared freaks her out and you get the back half of season 3.
X

Last edited by girl under the floor; 10-11-2017 at 08:40 AM
girl under the floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

I don't hate what they've done with her character, as that person claims to, but I do agree with some of the things there, like the part you bolded, Paula.

Hey, where has Laura been lately? Do we know?

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

I don't hate what they've done with her character, as that person claims to, but I do agree with some of the things there, like the part you bolded, Paula.

Hey, where has Laura been lately? Do we know?

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Fan Art

Nope, I don't agree with all of it either
More thoughts tomorrow, when I can actually think again

I've been missing Laura too
Old 10-11-2017, 05:13 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
The 100

Yup, the person made some good points but I don't agree with the entire writeup either. Great read though, thanks for bringing it over Paula.

I've been wondering about Laura too.

More thoughts later, definitely.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Fan Art

This Tumblr Poster isn't a fan of Octavia and stated that multiple times on her Tumblr, but still, she defends the story that's being told. I went through her Tumblr yesterday and found a few very good reads
Cause even not liking the character, she does explain how it (to her) makes sense within the story. And she also called out a few people who wouldn't condemn Bellamy, but Do condemn Octavia.
I agreed with a lot of stuff she had to say, though not all. About other characters as well, she wrote some interesting stuff about Raven too.

Another post of hers explained how she thinks Octavia is so black/white, because of her live on the Ark, that she didn't get to experience any grey areas. She didn't get to be around other people, so her live was black/white and that's just how she was formed.
Anyway.

I really agree with the part where she explained how Octavia, since coming down to the ground, has quickly learned that violence is the way to show strength. That it's not only accepted, but also encouraged in Grounder Culture.
I also agreed with what she said about Lincoln, cause I felt that way too Lincoln kept Octavia grounded.

And of course the bolded part. Yep, I really, really agree with that. Octavia fell in love with Lincoln instantly. Was drawn to the Grounder culture immediately. She goes into stuff full-on. She's definitely a character that is lead by her emotions. And that she killed Pike like that - even though I definitely, definitely cheered it on cause never before had I been so happy that a character on The 100 was killed - was kinda scary in that sense This person, ruled by emotions, walking off with that blank look on her face.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
The 100

That's great that though she's not an Octavia fan, that she seems to view her quite impartially and makes sense (rather than rationalise) her POV and actions in that manner.

She has no reference point and is in effect, a clean slate because she never knew what normal was ... for 16 years. Having said that though, it's important to not justify her actions purely based on that (not saying people here do, but in other places). I'd like to eventually see her acknowledge her flaws at some point and that her actions were misguided, just like Bellamy did.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:14 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

I would like to see that, too, Sarah.

Good discussion here, you guys. I feel like Octavia, particularly in season four, gave us a lot to discuss.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

I hope when Octavia comes out, she's not like every other commander ever,

- Marcel Gerard

Last edited by adam23089; 10-12-2017 at 10:31 AM
adam23089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Paula, I was randomly wondering about this today: What would you say to Marie if you met her?

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
"I SEE YOU."
ICON BY ALEXA
Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 AM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
The 100

She really did give us a lot to discuss about in season 4, good and bad. Definitely one of the characters in that season that I found myself agreeing and disagreeing with a lot. Just like Clarke.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:43 PM
We Will Rise

Moderator of ...
Fan Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Paula, I was randomly wondering about this today: What would you say to Marie if you met her?
I have no idea

Jokingly, I'd like to share some Helios love
Realistically, I'd probably end up muttering something about how I admire her.
But if I'd really got to sit down and really talk with her, I'd probably talk about what and how much Octavia means to me and how I can relate to her, on a non-violent level obviously
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top