Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2017, 12:53 AM
  #46
Moderator Support Team

 
girl under the floor's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Fan Art
Netflix
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 86,402
They probably will
__________________
Join the Fan Art Scavenger Hunt!!
Ms Posting Tornado | Paula
Art thread | Tumblr | No-Name Team
girl under the floor is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 AM
  #47
Part-Time Fan
 
adam23089's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 231
I really like Jasper, why would they kill him off? He's such a complex and compelling character execpt for season 1 and 2 where he was just a goof sry to say, he has always been his own character, when people asks him to jump, his answer is why? which is a perfectly reaonable question, if you can't answer that then you shoulden't ask it, where as Monty for example would answer how high? The list is one execption other then that I can't think of an instance where Monty has though twice about an order, I don't like that, Jasper listens more to his heart, what he feels is right, which comes off as more genuin than Monty who has more of a objective stance a logical one
adam23089 is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 07:25 AM
  #48
Fan Forum Star

 
destroyer of worlds's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 100
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 162,671
I'm not sure if it was Devon's decision. Honestly, he wasn't a favourite of mine for many reasons but I am sad, he was one of the original delinquents and it was tragic how he succumbed to his depression in the end. I just wish that they gave him decent closure on the show, he deserved to be mourned by the others which we just didn't get because there wasn't time (due to Praimfaya).

This is a great writeup on Jasper's ending:

Quote:
See you on the other side, Jasper Jordan

In “The Other Side,” The 100 delivered on a promise that has been two seasons in the making. I doubt many fans were surprised that Jasper died; not only has it been heavily signposted within the show that his time was running out, but it had also become clear that the character had no desire left to live — and without getting proper help, any reprieve for Jasper was always going to be a temporary fix. But knowing that it was coming did not make the moment any less devastating.

The 100 is no stranger to heart-wrenching, untimely deaths, but Jasper’s is in a league of his own, because he was the one who stopped fighting. Who couldn’t fight. The ground tried so hard to break him, and it succeeded. There is something so disempowering in watching a person’s will to live being slowly chipped away, knowing that there is no way it won’t end in tragedy, and The 100 captured that feeling almost too well.

Jasper’s death had been in the cards since he tried and failed to save the day in Mount Weather in season 2. The entire third season was building up to his planned demise in the finale when, after a season of falling into grief and despair, Jasper was going to be the one character who couldn’t recover from the devastation that season had caused.

Raven, Monty, Octavia, Clarke, and most of the other characters suffered devastating losses that year, yet were somehow able to carry on, but not Jasper — in this post-apocalyptic, hardened world you need characters that can carry inhuman weights on their shoulders, but you also need characters for whom the PTSD is too much to handle and who can’t take the pressure. Finn was one, Jasper was another.

But he did not kill himself in the season 3 finale as was originally planned; the writers (probably wisely) realized that the season’s deaths had already caused enough devastation in the fandom, and let Jasper live to see another season. They did not, however, waver from their plan of using Jasper’s arc to portray a character within these supernatural, sci-fi circumstances who lost the strength to carry on, falling into depression and eventual suicide.

Jasper regained his will to live only because he knew there was a time limit on the world, and there was never, ever going to be a magical, last-minute recovery for him. And however devastating it was to see Jasper’s story reach its tragic conclusion, I’m glad the writers saw it through.

Based on his overall arc and the incredible work Devon Bostick put into crafting a character fighting this very real battle, any other outcome would have felt disingenuous. Bravo to everyone involved for the care they put into Jasper’s journey, and for the commitment to tackling this difficult, painful, important topic.

The realism of Jasper’s journey

There are very few characters on the show I can’t find a way to identify with or relate to, but Jasper’s journey has always struck a particular chord with me (which is honestly why I have perhaps written a bit less about it than I should have).

Across the board, The 100 has always been very committed to making its characters as realistic as possible, but nothing on the show has felt as real or relatable to me as seeing Jasper push away everyone who cared about him, isolating himself, and making himself so incredibly, deliberately unlikeable (both within the show and to a large part of the audience) — because that’s what happens when you suffer from this kind of depression and PTSD.

The 100 neither glorified nor romanticized Jasper’s mental illness, and I commend them for that. So often, stories treat depression like a problem for the narrative to solve, but in reality, no one is writing a quick fix solution for you. There is no cathartic moment of truth that will set you on a new path of meaning. There is no one waiting in the wings to make you feel special when you need it most. Everything feels so completely, impossibly, insurmountably dark and hopeless, and the pain itself comes to feel like a comfort. A part of you don’t want to let someone else take it away from you, because then what will you have left?

Of course, in the real world, there are ways to get help. There are people to talk to and places to go when you feel like your immediate circle of family, friends and acquaintances won’t or can’t understand. But within a fictional, post-apocalyptic narrative there would be no such resources for Jasper, and seeing as the world of The 100 is contingent on the characters fighting for their lives and losing loved ones on a daily basis, there was never going to be a realistic chance for him to catch his breath and recover. That feels real to me. I’m not Jasper; none of us are Jasper, and his journey is not our journey. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be an important mirror to something that can happen in real life, seen from a safe distance through the lens of fantasy fiction.
Source
__________________
you think that
you can kill me?
have at it.

Sarah | tumblr | icon thread | credit
destroyer of worlds is offline  
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
  #49
Fan Forum Hero

 
April7739's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 65,052
Hypable wrote some great things about Jasper following his death. And even before that. Which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the Hypable articles. It didn't take Jasper's death for them to say nice things about him (which was the case with some other reviewers, it seemed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam23089 (View Post)
I really like Jasper, why would they kill him off? He's such a complex and compelling character execpt for season 1 and 2 where he was just a goof sry to say, he has always been his own character, when people asks him to jump, his answer is why? which is a perfectly reaonable question, if you can't answer that then you shoulden't ask it, where as Monty for example would answer how high? The list is one execption other then that I can't think of an instance where Monty has though twice about an order, I don't like that, Jasper listens more to his heart, what he feels is right, which comes off as more genuin than Monty who has more of a objective stance a logical one
Join the club, I really like Jasper, too!

I actually think Jasper was one of the more complex characters this entire time. He was at his simplest in season 1, but season 2, seeing him have to step into a leadership role in Mount Weather . . . I feel like that really added a lot of layers to his character that I didn't know were there before. But yes, obviously in season 3 and 4, that's where he became incredibly complex, due to the writers' decision to peel back the layers and really explore that darkness and depression within him.

I do actually believe that Jasper ended up being one of the most complex characters on the show. In fact, the only people I would probably for sure rank above him these days are Bellamy and Clarke.

I like the contrast between him and Monty, even though I do feel more of an attachment to Jasper. Jasper definitely is more emotional whereas Monty is more logical. They kind of had a head/heart dynamic of their own, come to think of it.
__________________

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
WE MEET AGAIN.
ICON BY MEL
April7739 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 01:31 AM
  #50
Part-Time Fan
 
adam23089's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 231
Tell me how thinking Jasper is annoying because of his PTSD is different from thinking Bryan is disqusting because he's gay, again Bryan is one of my favorite characters it's not homophobic, I don't believe that,it's an example, both are things that you can't controll or have chosen,neither is okay to discriminate against, arguments like Jasper is a fictional character, the same goes with the Bryan being gay and hating him because of it, again it's just an example to illustrate the point, tell me how thats different

One otherthing I really liked that they killed Jasper off on mental health week way too go,

One otherthing about Jasper I really hate when people discredit him for being weak, I mean he was the only one standing up to Clarke and let's be honest, Raven had many friends supporting her and Monty was really nice to Harper let's be honest, he treated Jasper like ****, when you are depressed that's how you sometimes act, pushing friends away in that state is normal, season 3 begun with Monty throwing a bucket of cold water over him, that's not how you treat someone that's passed out duo to alcohol poisening to relieve the pain

Okay now I'm done ranting

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Hypable wrote some great things about Jasper following his death. And even before that. Which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the Hypable articles. It didn't take Jasper's death for them to say nice things about him (which was the case with some other reviewers, it seemed).



Join the club, I really like Jasper, too!

I actually think Jasper was one of the more complex characters this entire time. He was at his simplest in season 1, but season 2, seeing him have to step into a leadership role in Mount Weather . . . I feel like that really added a lot of layers to his character that I didn't know were there before. But yes, obviously in season 3 and 4, that's where he became incredibly complex, due to the writers' decision to peel back the layers and really explore that darkness and depression within him.

I do actually believe that Jasper ended up being one of the most complex characters on the show. In fact, the only people I would probably for sure rank above him these days are Bellamy and Clarke.

I like the contrast between him and Monty, even though I do feel more of an attachment to Jasper. Jasper definitely is more emotional whereas Monty is more logical. They kind of had a head/heart dynamic of their own, come to think of it.

Anyways, I agree, he showed great leadership in mount weather but then they just wasted it, but I fear if they were going to capitilze on it and not make him darker and depressed and not utlimatly killing him off he would be another slave "subject" for Clarke and Bellamy being tazed and arrested when not following orders, which is quite boring to watch, they could have built something with Murphy, Murphy and Jasper

I liked Bellamy in season 3 with Pike, I've never been a fan of Clarke, or yes I liked when she secured the bunker for skaikru, but what she did to Luna

Last edited by adam23089; 07-14-2017 at 02:21 AM
adam23089 is offline  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 AM
  #51
Fan Forum Hero

 
April7739's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 65,052
While I think we share some of the same opinions, like our love and appreciation for Jasper, I do think we differ on others.

I think there is a difference between someone who finds Jasper annoying and hates him than someone who would hate Bryan or Miller because of their orientation. Ultimately, PTSD and depression are something that a person can attempt to work through and recover from, whereas a sexual orientation is set in stone (and isn't an issue, as far as I'm concerned). But yes, I have a great amount of sympathy and even empathy for a person struggling with mental health, like Jasper did, so personally, I don't understand how people can simply dismiss it as "man-pain" and say that he needs to just "get over it," because to me it's just clearly more complex than that.

I also dislike when people say Jasper was weak--I think he was as strong as he could be given the trauma he'd endured--and I do actually like how he stood up to Clarke. But I don't agree that Monty treated him horribly. True, Monty struggled with him. They all did. I think it's an accurate portrayal of how difficult it often is for family and friends to deal with someone who's suffering from such illness. They didn't know how to handle him. And Monty was dealing with his own trauma in a much different way than Jasper was.

I also don't really agree that they have "subjects" for Clarke and Bellamy, though I do think the show needs characters who call them out for their decisions and hold them accountable, particularly Clarke since she gets so caught up in the end results/outcome sometimes, and you could always count on Jasper to drop some truth bombs on her. (I also did not like Bellamy siding with Pike in season three or Clarke taking the bunker, even though I found both storylines interesting, but those are conversations for elsewhere.)
__________________

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
WE MEET AGAIN.
ICON BY MEL
April7739 is offline  
Old 07-15-2017, 01:35 AM
  #52
Moderator Support Team

 
girl under the floor's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Fan Art
Netflix
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 86,402
Yes April
__________________
Join the Fan Art Scavenger Hunt!!
Ms Posting Tornado | Paula
Art thread | Tumblr | No-Name Team
girl under the floor is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 09:31 AM
  #53
Part-Time Fan
 
adam23089's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 231
well some say that serotonin doesen't matter, but I think neurotransmitter and Neurons and such matters, some have more some has less, trauma and alot of stress can even trigger an underlaying bipolar disease and such

I didne't watch much of season 3, but two first episodes, Monty treated Jasper poorly, he threw a bucket of cold water over him, Jasper said something about Monty killed Maya and he directly wen't after him, but Bellamy I think stopped him,

I think that they treated Harper and Ravens depression differently than Jaspers, atleast show him that you're there for him, Bellamy even suggested Monty should leave him

A perfect example was in the final, where Bellamy told Jasper do whatever the hell you want and but he was very prone on not leaving raven behind


Well Clarke forces other people to do stuff against there will innocents who haven't done anything, like she tazed and arrested Jasper

Last edited by adam23089; 07-16-2017 at 09:39 AM
adam23089 is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:23 PM
  #54
Fan Forum Hero

 
April7739's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 65,052
Bellamy clearly didn't want to leave Jasper behind, but that was what Jasper wanted. Whereas, in contrast, Raven was clearly radioing for help. I think those situations are clearly meant to be a contrast, with Raven fighting to survive and Jasper choosing to go out on his own terms.

I disagree that Monty treated Jasper poorly. I do think he was frustrated with him and didn't know how to deal with him. This is an accurate reflection of what many friends and family members of mental illness sufferers deal with every day. They want to help, but they don't know how, and the animosity and resentment builds. I love Jasper, but I can acknowledge that he wasn't exactly treating everyone else the best back then, either.

On a happier note, though, I just watched 3x10 last night, and Jasper was so awesome! That's one of my favorite episodes ever. He was the MVP for sure. He got Raven out of Arkadia. He saved her. I really enjoyed that friendship and wish we'd gotten to see it continue in season four.
__________________

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
WE MEET AGAIN.
ICON BY MEL
April7739 is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:27 AM
  #55
Part-Time Fan
 
adam23089's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 231
he cleary diden't ever care about Jasper

https://youtu.be/nhDqATasFaI?t=124


And Jasper cleary diden't want it





And yes when you're suicidal you can be kind of a dick, but I personally feel that it's unfair to compare, but I agree with it's an accurate representation of how it works


if Raven and Jasper was a contrast to eachother they cleary forgot the scene at the beginning of the season where the picture I linked comes from, where Jasper told us he felt like he was worhless and coulden't help with anything and was ready to kill himself, it's way more than that for Jasper,it really had nothing to do with primefaya, it was him feeling inadequate

Raven was never sucidal and had more friends expressing their appreciation for her, and Raven diden't get tazed and arrested by Clarke when you already feel inferior and lesser


I feel like Jasper started off as a goof and always had a feeling of being inadequate, I hate people who only says that he's depressed cause of Maya, they cleary forget the scene I just talked about, the more I think about it the more it fits,he's leadership in mount weather https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...21d43bbccf.jpg

Last edited by adam23089; 07-19-2017 at 02:53 AM
adam23089 is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 AM
  #56
Total Fan

 
sonny1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam23089 (View Post)
he cleary diden't ever care about Jasper
I give you some scenes/dialogs for example, that Bellamy cares about Jasper:

1x12: Murphy has Jasper as a hostage in the dropship...

Bellamy to Murphy: "How about you trade him (Jasper) for me?" "All you have to do is let him (Jasper) go and I'll take his place."
Octavia to Bellamy: "If you do this, he'll kill you"
Bellamy to Octavia: If I don't he'll kill Jasper.

3x14: On Lunas rig, Jasper talks with Shay and smiles. Bellamy sits together with Clarke and Octavia. Bellamy is the is the only one, who is interested in Jasper...

Bellamy to Clarke and Octavia: "Jasper is actually smiling"

4x08: Jasper is going to leave the camp...

B: "Hey, where you going?"
J: "Wherever the day takes me."
B: "You got a Chem Tent?"
J: "Nope"
B: "Jasper. Jasper. No one leaves without a Chem Tent."
J: "Do you have a Chem Tent?"
B: "Yeah."
J: "Good. Then we have a Chem Tent"
B: "Maybe you didn't see how those people died."
J: "I saw. I'm just not afraid of it happening to me."
B: "Jasper, it's not safe out there."
J: "What else is new? Come on. We're losing daylight."
B: "Jasper. Jasper. Damn it. Hey. Grow the hell up."
J: "Good. You're coming."
B: "Yeah, but only because I don't want to carrry your body bag."

A lot people saw, that Jasper leaves the camp... Bellamy was the only one who cared about Jasper in this moment.

And then in the wood...

B: "This is all a big joke to you, isn't it?"
J: "Now you're getting it. That's exactly what it is. One big cosmic joke." You realize that, too, if you pulled the stick out of your ass."
B: "That's enough. That is enough."
J: "I'm just trying to help you."
B: "Oh, you're trying to help me. That's funny. It's late. We're leaving. Now."
J: "Damn it. Open your eyes! The clock is ticking, and it has been since we landed on this terrible... beautiful planet."
B: "What the hell does that mean?"
J: "It means we are living on borrowed time, all of us."
B: "So if you know that, why are you throwing it away?"

So you can see, that Bellamy had cared about Jasper a lot, but I think especially after Kane said to Bellamy "You can't save someone, who doesn't want to be saved", Bellamy decided to respect Jaspers wish to die.

My mother is manic depressive for 30 years now and I lived all the time in the same house with her and cared about her. She was never suicidal in all this time, but I don't know what I would do, if I get this terrible disease...

Last edited by sonny1; 07-19-2017 at 08:46 AM
sonny1 is online now  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
  #57
Moderator Support Team

 
girl under the floor's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Fan Art
Netflix
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 86,402
Of course Jasper was already depressed before Praimfaya
He wanted to kill himself, but the only reason he didn't do that, was that Praimfaya took that need away. He no longer Needed to kill himself, he knew he'd die anyway. Or at least he could choose to die. As he had intended all along.

Thanks Sonja. Of course Bellamy cared about Jasper. Seriously.
The fact that in the end he let Jasper decide for himself, doesn't erase all that happened before that
__________________
Join the Fan Art Scavenger Hunt!!
Ms Posting Tornado | Paula
Art thread | Tumblr | No-Name Team
girl under the floor is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 AM
  #58
Fan Forum Star

 
destroyer of worlds's Avatar

Moderator of ...
The 100
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 162,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam23089 (View Post)

Well Clarke forces other people to do stuff against there will innocents who haven't done anything, like she tazed and arrested Jasper
I agree that was not the right move by Clarke and she did apologise for it afterwards because she knew that she screwed up. But I disagree that she/the others didn't care about Jasper. They clearly did, especially Monty and Bellamy. But Jasper was beyond their help sadly and there was nothing they could do about it but accept his decision ultimately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Bellamy clearly didn't want to leave Jasper behind, but that was what Jasper wanted. Whereas, in contrast, Raven was clearly radioing for help. I think those situations are clearly meant to be a contrast, with Raven fighting to survive and Jasper choosing to go out on his own terms.
Agreed. It is two different situations, clearly. Raven initially didn't want to fight back and Murphy respected that decision though he didn't like it. The moment that the others knew that she wanted to live, they went to get her. Whereas Monty tried and tried, but there was no changing Jasper's mind because the depression had set in too much.

I seriously do not see how else any of them could have helped Jasper further. At some point, only he can help himself ... no one else.

Those are great examples, thanks Sonja.
__________________
you think that
you can kill me?
have at it.

Sarah | tumblr | icon thread | credit
destroyer of worlds is offline  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 AM
  #59
Total Fan

 
sonny1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty lies (View Post)
But I disagree that she/the others didn't care about Jasper. They clearly did, especially Monty and Bellamy. But Jasper was beyond their help sadly and there was nothing they could do about it but accept his decision ultimately.

Whereas Monty tried and tried, but there was no changing Jasper's mind because the depression had set in too much.

I seriously do not see how else any of them could have helped Jasper further. At some point, only he can help himself ... no one else.
So true, Sarah
sonny1 is online now  
Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM
  #60
Fan Forum Hero

 
April7739's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 65,052
Sonja, thank you for all those examples!

Bellamy/Jasper is one of my favorite relationships on the show (it's no secret), and all those scenes you mentioned gave me the feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
Of course Jasper was already depressed before Praimfaya
He wanted to kill himself, but the only reason he didn't do that, was that Praimfaya took that need away. He no longer Needed to kill himself, he knew he'd die anyway. Or at least he could choose to die. As he had intended all along.
Exactly. I think the writers did a good job of making that very clear.

Quote:
Thanks Sonja. Of course Bellamy cared about Jasper. Seriously.
Seriously.

Quote:
The fact that in the end he let Jasper decide for himself, doesn't erase all that happened before that
And you know, I think it's because he cares about Jasper that he let him decide. Jasper wanted to go out on his own terms. This was his choice. And I hate to say it, but with the level of depression he was experiencing and how deeply it had set in, I do fear that, had Bellamy or Monty or someone else done something drastic, something that would have saved him against his will, he still would have wanted to kill himself and possibly would have resorted to doing something like shooting himself like he intended to in 4x01. At the very least, this way, he died peacefully with his best friend there holding him.

Quote:
I seriously do not see how else any of them could have helped Jasper further. At some point, only he can help himself ... no one else.
It's that whole "you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved" thing. Depressing to think about, but ultimately, it's true most of the time. In the end, that decision to live has to come from the sufferer him/herself.
__________________

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
WE MEET AGAIN.
ICON BY MEL
April7739 is offline  
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2018.

Copyright © 1998-2018, Fan Forum.