Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No, I’m not being defensive or trying to make it about me at all. The discussion going on was that Echo’s redemption had begun in season 4. You said you can see how a lot of people overlook the work put into her. (I take no issue with that comment, by the way.) I just made a post saying that I don’t think it’s a matter of overlooking something as much as it is a matter of perception. I was just adding my two cents to the discussion that was already in progress, which I am allowed to do. No defensiveness at all, so sorry if it came off that way, but I would still like to contribute to the discussion even if I disagree with some of it. I think you guys have brought up some good points, even though I may feel differently.

Did anybody watch a lot of episode reactions for this ep? I really only watched Logan’s, but I did watch Jaclyn and Marcella’s discussion vid. I’m curious as to how some of the more well-known reactors reacted to it, and to Octavia in particular, but I don’t really feel like watchinng right now because I feel like working on my fic instead.
ICON

Last edited by April7739; 07-30-2018 at 01:39 PM
Old 07-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
No, I’m not being defensive or trying to make it about me at all. The discussion going on was that Echo’s redemption had begun in season 4. You said you can see how a lot of people overlook the work put into her. (I take no issue with that comment, by the way.) I just made a post saying that I don’t think it’s a matter of overlooking something as much as it is a matter of perception. I was just adding my two cents to the discussion that was already in progress, which I am allowed to do. No defensiveness at all, so sorry if it came off that way, but I would still like to contribute to the discussion even if I disagree with some of it. I think you guys have brought up some good points, even though I may feel differently.
Maybe for you it's a matter of personal perception and feelings. For others, they just might have glossed over or forgotten about some stuff that happened. It's a busy show and the plot moves fast, so that happens. I know I forget about smaller plot points all the time. Especially if it happened to a character I wasn't very interested in.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay. I can agree with that.
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
She’s been such a surprise. I don’t normally warm up to new characters so quickly, but last season I had Ilian, and now this season, I’ve got her.

The initial introduction seemed to lead people to believe she’d be a villain, but she’s been far less villainous than many other characters this season. That twist in the way they wrote her character has been really refreshing and interesting.
Totally agree! I'm enjoying Diyoza this season more than some of my old favorites, tbh. She's been such a great addition, I hope she stays on for season 6
Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1marie (View Post)
Totally agree! I'm enjoying Diyoza this season more than some of my old favorites, tbh. She's been such a great addition, I hope she stays on for season 6
Same!
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
Since we're still having this conversation about Echo, I'm gonna bring over my reply since it got buried at the end of the thread:

I don't really think that last part [about her not valuing loyalty or human life] is true. She was given a mission to figure out who all the traitors/defectors were in Wonkru and rat them out to Octavia, but she didn't do that. It wasn't out of loyalty but rather human compassion. She could see that they were really upset about what had happened to them in the bunker and she decided it was wrong to betray them. And with Shaw, even though Raven had told her it was okay to kill him, she still waited and ended up not doing it because Raven was clearly upset about it.

Almost every character on the show will kill anybody to further their side's interest. Like Clarke shot that guard who had bowed to Madi without thinking twice. Or Indra throwing a knife into a guy's head when Octavia woke up. Bellamy and Clarke murdered Kara with flesh-eating worms to further their side's interests. That's just the stakes these characters find themselves in. They're at war and everything is life or death. Compared to some of these other characters, Echo has shown a lot of restraint. She didn't kill Shaw. I can only remember her killing one person this season and that was just this week when she took out the guy who was holding Murphy at gunpoint.
Good points. Just quickly wanted to note that I don't mean that Echo doesn't value honor or human life. I think she always has, but when push comes to shove her people's survival is more important. You're absolutely right that she's not alone in this, and plenty of our "heroes" are willing to kill people at the drop of a hat.

One of the cool things about Echo is that because she's switched sides, she makes us question things like this. An echo is a reflection, right, and in a way she reflects back to us flaws that exist in our favorite characters too. Why is someone on the other side a villain if they do the same things that Clarke, Bellamy, etc. do? Are they not a villain anymore if they join our team?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Me too! And I really hope they don't kill her baby.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I sometimes feel like this show works much better as a binge-watching show, because alot of the time people completely forget things that happened - myself included - and it's so much more seamless and effective to watch in a more fluid way. It helps you understand characters better, for one.

I also think some people don't like characters point blank, and they all have their own reasons and I'm fine with that too.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
She's a good character. I'm not personally sold on her yet, though. I just keep thinking back to the way she reneged on her deal after they dug Wonkru out of the bunker, just because they lost sight of Abby. A cynical part of me wonders if she cared so much about keeping tabs on the doctor because she knew she was pregnant, rather than because she knew the prisoners were sick.