Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxury (View Post)
What if they are fighting over who gets to pet the mutant worm?!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is the article that I mentioned earlier ... prefacing it by saying that I don't agree 100% with the author's views on Octavia but I think that she brought up a lot of valid points re: Bellamy/Octavia's relationship. This is not the easiest read if you're a Blakes fan (as I am) but it's the hard, cold truth unfortunately.

Quote:
This entire episode was centered around Octavia putting Bellamy in his “place”. It was her belittling him, silencing him, discrediting him, highlighting all the power she has and showing him he is nothing to her. Everything she did was an attempt to keep him down and keep him quiet. When he moved to stop her and her guards immediately aimed guns at him, she looked him dead in the eye and smirked, making sure he knew she held all the power and his life in her hands before she waved down her guards. When he (rightfully) blamed her for putting them in such a precarious situation she retaliated, saying he is the reason for all of this and puts an inflection on his name that is like a thumbtack, pinning the blame on him. When he continues to argue and she sees her people become agitated, she tells him to be quiet. She doesn’t calm her people, she shushes the person who is questioning her, threatening violence if he is not silent. She tells him he doesn’t belong there, that these aren’t his people, that she isn’t his people, knowing how much he cares about her and that he feels she is his people, stripping him of his confidence and place in this world.

And finally, the scene that will change it all. There is no going back from this (at least, there better ****ing not be). This is the defining moment of their relationship. The angle of this shot is no coincidence. Bellamy is on his knees, looking up at Octavia, as if praying to a god, open-faced and vulnerable, offering his praise and support to her. This one last time he reaches out to the woman who has abused him countless times, offering his love. How does she respond? She accepts his praise, reaching for him and connecting with him by using a pet name that summons memories of happier days and good times they shared. She kisses his cheek and pulls him in for a hug. She is giving him what he wants, the acceptance that he desires, making him feel like it's the good old days.

Then she grabs his head, forcing him into a position of submissiveness, literally holding his life in her hands since she can snap his neck at any time, making sure he knows how vulnerable he is in that moment, making sure he knows she is in control, making sure he knows she owns him, shaking his head to emphasize her point, and tells him if he ever questions her again she will kill him. Violent words backed by violent actions riding on the coat tails of a loving moment. THAT. IS. ABUSE. And Clarke sees this. Clarke has just seen Octavia abuse Bellamy. Now Clarke knows. And Bellamy knows. This isn’t even the first time Octavia has told Bellamy she would kill him, but this time he is shocked and scared by her words, as well as her actions.

This ends now. Clarke has seen first-hand what Octavia does to Bellamy. She saw the aftermath of her physical abuse of him, now she has witnessed her mental abuse of him, and it was written clear as day on her face: oh **** no. Clarke knows how much Octavia means to Bellamy, she knew it when they very first met and he threw that radio into the river. In the past, she has comforted Bellamy by reassuring him that Octavia will forgive him one day. I think now she knows she cannot do that anymore. She can no longer encourage him to seek forgiveness, instead she must encourage him to let Octavia go. She knows him too well and cares about him too much to see him treated this way, and she holds too much sway with him to stay silent. She can help him move past this, help him realize that he is a victim of abuse and that he needs to cut Octavia out like the cancer that she is. Clarke has already begun to help Bellamy, her words of praise and comfort giving him the confidence and courage to stand up to Octavia when she tried to blame him, once again, for her mistakes. Clarke can lead Bellamy out of this pit of despair. There is no shame in leaning on others for help, it doesn't make Bellamy weak, and Bellamy needs Clarke to get through this, to leave Octavia, and break out of the role of her brother and escape all the responsibilities that come with the position.

All these people keep telling Bellamy that Octavia needs him, telling him that she will forgive him, telling him that he needs to keep trying to help her, but they need to stop. In doing that, they are saying she is his responsibility. In doing that, they are saying that he did something wrong in the first place that she needs to forgive him for and deserves what she did to him. In doing that, they are encouraging him to continue to weather her attacks so as to save her, a person who refuses to be saved and, quite frankly, doesn’t deserve to be saved. They are telling him to keep hurting himself just so he can attempt to save someone who is unreachable and unredeemable. It isn’t his problem, it isn’t his responsibility, it isn’t his fault. He needs to stop trying to save her, stop lowering himself and letting her hurt him. And people need to stop pushing him towards her.

On the surface, what Octavia told Bellamy is exactly what she has told every member of Wonkru. She gives them a choice: submit or die. What makes her behavior and actions towards Bellamy abusive is their relationship. They are brother and sister, they have grown up together, they are family and love each other (or should, at least), and she knows Bellamy is completely devoted to her, will do anything for her, will always protect her, would never hurt her, and would never leave her. Abuse comes from those you have a relationship with, not from strangers. THAT is what makes Octavia’s behavior, otherwise just mean when she does it to strangers, abusive when she does it to Bellamy. The only reason she hasn’t killed Bellamy is because he’s her brother, she has made that very clear. And that is not something to commend Octavia for. That is not her showing him mercy because they are family, that does not show that she loves him or cares for him. It simply means she has some inherent bond with him that is preventing her from doing it. Threatening to kill someone you have a relationship with if they do not submit to you IS ABUSE. She is trying to take this big brother who raised her, loved her, and protected her, and destroy him.

He is the last person who has authority over her, and she doesn’t like that. When he’s around, she’s not the boss, and she knows it. So, she must squash him. She has power right now, she has followers, and she will display that power to him as often as she can until he becomes submissive. She wants to make him feel miniscule. THAT IS ABUSE.

Love is weakness was brought back from the depths of season 2, presumably to try to justify the way Octavia is treating Bellamy. Octavia says that if she doesn’t love anyone, nobody can get to her. She has been the leader of an underground cult for the past 6 years, everyone she knows is loyal to her, who could she possibly have to protect herself from? And if you want to look at it a different way, say “if I can’t love someone then they can’t break my heart”, that STILL doesn’t excuse the way she treats Bellamy. Clarke had the same mentality back in season 2 when she pushed Bellamy away, but she didn't abuse him. That quick attempt to explain why Octavia is being so mean to the person she is supposed to love is completely unacceptable, and honestly, laughable. And to then have another victim of Octavia’s abuse—Indra—tell Octavia that she loves her is sickening. Indra, the woman who trained Octavia, who took her under her wing, who gave Octavia everything she now has, who Octavia abused, is reduced to being her second, her protector, her subject, and apparently the person who is supposed to make Octavia feel better about herself. The abuser continues to be supported and validated by her victims and that is absolutely unacceptable, and no "love is weakness" bull**** can excuse that.

People seem to confuse being violent with being a badass, being abusive with being powerful, being a dictator with being a leader. People seem to think Octavia is a strong female character™, that she exhibits girl power™. This notion is absolutely laughable. Every woman who runs around yelling orders, glaring, and punching people is not a good example of a strong female character, there's more to it than that. Octavia has no compassion, no heart, no loyalty, no whit, no spark, no personality, nothing except vengeance and violence.

She is literally incapable of thinking of a solution other than violence and bloodshed, and she absolutely refuses to listen to others, even when she is so blatantly wrong. She will make choices that turn into mistakes and either blame someone else or force them to shield her from the consequences (WHICH SHE LITERALLY DID THIS EPISODE BTW). She is a little child trying to be taken seriously by the adults, and it’s laughable to watch. She has gained power and validation but it won't last because she doesn’t have it in her to be a real leader. She doesn’t have the head or the heart. She is the god that her cult worships, but that is not enough to earn real loyalty, and that position was attained only because those people were locked in the same space as her. Bellamy said they are a gladiator cult, Diyoza said they are fanatics that make good soldiers, Kane said even the children had to learn to become violent killers to survive in the bunker. Every time there is a discussion Octavia has that woman in her ear mindlessly agreeing with everything she says, and she raised her eyebrows in surprise when she heard Miller say Clarke should have a voice in the discussion, showing the smallest hint of rebellion. She has brainwashed these people to be mindless minions she can order around and dispose of as she pleases, just like Bellamy said. Her entire world is designed to validate and elevate her, because she is weak. The traits she presents share no similarities with the traits of actual strong female characters. Killing and being a pain in the ass does not equal being a badass.

At this point, it is unacceptable if you do not realize and accept the fact that Octavia is an abuser. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Abusers are cowards, and they are scum. Her past and the positions she has been put in do not excuse her behavior. She had a troubled childhood, yes, and she was forced into a leadership position she did not want, yes, but that does not mean she gets to act like this. I can see her desire to break out of the shackles that held her when she was younger, but she has decided to shackle others now.

And she is not the only one who has had a difficult path. Nobody on this show has had it easy, and nobody else has stooped so low as to rely on their fists and anger to get them through life. They were all faced with hardships and pain, and they all took different paths, and she took the wrong one. There is no excuse for what she has become and what she has done. Nobody can be blamed but her. She has abused the people who love her, and she continues to do it without shame or remorse. As time goes by her methods become more blunt and her behavior becomes less hidden, and it’s sickening to watch. I don’t just dislike her, I hate her. I hate Octavia with a burning passion. I don’t even love to hate her, I just hate her. I hate what she has done, I hate that the writers have forced the characters to forgive her, I hate that she was never held accountable for her actions, and I hate that the victims of her abuse continue to love, protect, and support her. I hate her, and I don’t think she has any hope of redemption, and she does not deserve redemption. She still has not apologized. And she never will.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

Thanks for the post Sarah.

Here's 2 tweets from Bob's con that are Blakes relevant:
Spoiler:

Debates whether or not to post what I wrote last night but didn't post then, now.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That was quite the read, Sarah. That writer definitely has gone further with her negative feelings towards Octavia than I have. And while I don’t agree that she’s irredeemable, I do agree with the confusion that some people seem to have over a badass, strong female leader versus . . . what Octavia has actually been shown to be. And I definitely don’t throw around the word abuse easily, but I take no issue with people saying that’s what’s happening between the Blakes right now. Sadly.
ICON
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the tweets, Kate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
And I definitely don’t throw around the word abuse easily, but I take no issue with people saying that’s what’s happening between the Blakes right now. Sadly.
It really pains me to say it but yes. I was close to interpreting their dynamic as this after 3X10 but now, I'm there.

I have no doubt that Octavia still loves Bellamy (deep, deep, deep down) but she sure has a funny way of showing that right now.

I do not agree with the author that Octavia is irredeemable either but TBH, the writers are tethering pretty close to the end with her right now.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 AM
Master Fan

Octavia reminds me so much of Pike when she says that

Pike has killed Lincoln, the love of her life, because Lincoln was a traitor for him
and now Octavia's doing the same cruel things like Pike did
I hope someone points this out to her, like Kane did in 4x06 when she was ready to execute Ilian with the gun

Let's talk about positive things ... I love this scene

Last edited by sonny1; 05-27-2018 at 03:13 AM
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 AM
New Fan

That is a really good article. Thanks for posting it. I don't agree that Octavia's irredeemable either, but like April I strongly agree about the point of Octavia not being a badass. I'm so sick of people, especially men, stanning her on other forums by calling her a badass, a strong woman, a good leader etc. and whenever I criticize O I get at least several butthurt responses. And judging from what they say about her attractiveness I'm thinking that might be one of the reasons why many of them overlook her faults.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

That sucks that you got that sort of response, Iris, but unfortunately that doesn't surprise me very much (especially when it comes to male fans). I think people on this board have generally been quite open about how we view that behaviour, that it isn't badass, it's symptoms of a deeper issue within Octavia. One which is embedded deeply and probably has been there for many years now, but which is coming to light now.

And unfortunately, Bellamy has/will bear the brunt of it because of his unconditional love for her. It'll be interesting to see if there is finally a breaking point for him, where he has enough of this treatment and breaks out of this cycle with Octavia.

And that scene makes me so sad too, Sonja. She's becoming more and more like Pike, the guy she hated and it's very heartbreaking ... I hope that Bellamy/someone else can help her out of it but I'm not sure if he can or should.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

I'm SO glad people here don't think of her that way. There's a hell of a lot more going on with her emotionally.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I would actually LOVE IT if Bellamy called Octavia out on becoming more like Pike. I think it would rattle her, and I think that’s what she needs. A whole lot of rattling.
ICON
Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I would actually LOVE IT if Bellamy called Octavia out on becoming more like Pike. I think it would rattle her, and I think that’s what she needs. A whole lot of rattling.
I would love that too ... maybe that would open Octavia's eyes a bit ... hopefully
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Me too. And it obviously worked when Kane referenced his actions in front of Octavia.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 05-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with most of what that writer said - with a couple of exceptions, but overall I would say that yes right now Octavia is being abusive in several senses - mostly towards Bellamy. This is why I want him to stand up to her (um, without getting his head chopped off). I'm sure that time will come but who knows what's in store.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't wait for Bellamy to hopefully call Octavia out on her BS.

Quote:
She is a little child trying to be taken seriously by the adults, and it’s laughable to watch. She has gained power and validation but it won't last because she doesn’t have it in her to be a real leader.
Exactly. Her power is based on fear, essentially, but her leadership is essentially an act. I'd say Gaia, and to an extent maybe even Kara Cooper, probably have more actual leadership/influence than Octavia does. It's ridiculous.

And as for that author saying Octavia's abusive?

amelia | icon: mel
Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
That sucks that you got that sort of response, Iris, but unfortunately that doesn't surprise me very much (especially when it comes to male fans).
Yeah. Those same Octavia fans are always dissing Bellamy too. They seem to think she's a better person than him, even after s5ep5. I find these people kinda toxic to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
It'll be interesting to see if there is finally a breaking point for him, where he has enough of this treatment and breaks out of this cycle with Octavia.
Yeah. While I admire Bellamy's fierce love for his family, I'm interested to see what his threshold is. I can't say that Octavia's new development hasn't had its entertaining aspects thus far.

Does anyone else think that Octavia might actually try to kill her brother at some point? I think at this point Bellamy wouldn't even be able to call her out on personal crap, brother to sister, without endangering his life, which is SO messed up.