Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

Ooh yes, football or boxing would be great. He definitely has the physique for it.

X
Old 04-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

There he is, the captain of looking out the window.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
BELIEVE IN BELLARKE.
ICON BY MEL
Old 04-14-2018, 08:41 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

He is quite a dramatic dude. All that emo looks out the windows ... it's already a running gag.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

I’m so excited to see him in that new shirt.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
BELIEVE IN BELLARKE.
ICON BY MEL
Old 04-14-2018, 09:16 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

Me too. New look, new beard. I'm excited.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

New look, new beard, new Bellamy.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
BELIEVE IN BELLARKE.
ICON BY MEL
Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That Bob/Bellamy drawing, as well as the tweet, are too accurate.

I think it'd be great to see him play a football player, soccer (thanks to that Vancouver Whitecaps game, I have feels), and, even if he doesn't fit the look really, a baseball player.

Quote:
New look, new beard, new Bellamy.
I read that in this voice:

kellyalyciabobeliza
amelia | icon by mel | bday twin

Last edited by kiss the wind; 04-14-2018 at 09:50 AM
Old 04-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

stupid double post

kellyalyciabobeliza
amelia | icon by mel | bday twin
Old 04-14-2018, 11:53 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

Hehe, that clip.

Your new icon's the cutest, Amelia.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Bob Morley

Amelia, your new icon/sig is giving me all the feels.

BOB THE 100 ROSWELL
BELIEVE IN BELLARKE.
ICON BY MEL
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

Glad we get the beard all season.

I third the icon loving.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

Wow, this one hurts. (don't think that it's been posted here before??)

X
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

I've actually posted that one before.

https://bellamyblakepositivity.tumbl...a-hero-and-ill
Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 AM
ravishing red

Moderator of ...
The 100

Ahh okay, no harm seeing it a second time then.

I love the effect in that second GIF.

I chanced upon this old article and had to share it ... it is really infuriating that some continue to disregard/insult Bob's heritage and whitewash Bellamy (all in the name of pigeonholing him as just "another white guy who gets away with everything") :

Quote:
it’s unbelievably insulting to see that fans of the show have a habit of disregarding and/or ignoring Bob’s ethnicity when convenient.

I’ve seen fan art where his character Bellamy’s skin is colored the same shade of pale as Clarke’s. I’ve read meta and commentary where fans treat Bellamy like another “generic white guy” with “generic white guy” problems and bravado, effectively forget intersectionality altogether. I’ve seen GIFs on Tumblr where the PSD coloring whitewashes his skin so it’s practically translucent, all for “the pastel aesthetic.” I’ve even read (rare but all still infuriating) comments that, because there’s no conclusive “proof” that Bellamy is mixed race in the show, that it’s perfectly acceptable to assume that Bellamy is 100% organic white even though Bob is not.

This problem of not being “white enough” or “non-white enough” isn’t unique to The 100 or its fans, and it’s certainly not new. Comedian Steve Byrne (of Korean-Irish descent) once joked that from his own experience being a person of mixed backgrounds, people tend to pigeonhole you: “Whatever kinda messes up the whitey, that’s what you are.”

While crass, there’s something to that idea. Mixed people are never “enough.” We’re too white or we’re not white enough. We’re a person of color, but we aren’t enough of a person of color. We’re too Westernized. We’re not Westernized enough. In short, there’s no place for us to fit. We’re too much or too little, never “just right.”

Mixed people are never “enough.” We’re too white or we’re not white enough. We’re a person of color, but we aren’t enough of a person of color. We’re too much or too little, never “just right.”For Bellamy, it’s a case of old-fashioned whitewashing. There’s no “proof” in the show that he’s from a mixed background? Default him to white, slap that ‘beige’ palette on him in Photoshop and let’s hit the road.

As for the show itself, sure, they never explicitly say anything about his ethnic background – and if I’m being honest, they don’t have to – but they have an interesting loophole to use to their advantage if they so choose.

Bellamy’s younger sister Octavia is played by Marie Avgeropoulos, who is of Greek descent. Some fans have said that because Marie is not of Filipino descent that this must mean Bob’s character is also not of a mixed background, but here’s the thing: we’ve never met the Blake father. It’s possible that they have different fathers and they’re only half siblings. Bellamy’s father could be Filipino; Octavia’s might not be.

Has it been stated as an official fact yet? No, but it hasn’t been denied either. The show writers could potentially write themselves out of a messy quagmire if they utilized this particular loophole.

And if fans can read and accept fanfic AUs where Clarke and Lexa are dragon riders, they can accept the possibility of a mixed race character with a white half-sibling within the context of the show. That doesn’t dilute or diminish Bellamy and Octavia’s relationship in any way.

tumblr_o5o5jn2kqz1uvgsuvo1_500

As a fan of the show, as a fan of Bob and as a fellow Pinay, I refuse to stay quiet on this simple fact: you cannot claim that a character in any medium is fully white if the actor portraying them is not. Period.

Would you try to argue that Halle Berry is 100% white? What about Zoe Kravitz? What about any other actor or actress of mixed background?

What is it about Bob that allows people to think it’s acceptable to, as he put it himself, “disregard someone’s cultural heritage and upbringing” so easily? Is it because it’s “easier” to get away with whitewashing an actor of Asian descent than any other minority?

I don’t know. But it needs to end. The 100 is too much of a diverse show for fans to so flippantly disregard the ethnic background of one of its lead actors – especially when being a person of mixed race has had a profound influence on his life.

Acknowledging someone’s mixed background should not be like pulling teeth. Again, as Bob said, “Respect yourself and respect others.”

Bob Morley – and by default Bellamy Blake – is not white.

Respect that.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Supreme Fan

Interesting article, April. It doesn't make any sense that Bellamy would be a different race from Bob just because it's not explicitly discussed on the show. Do people actually think that? That's so disrespectful to just totally disregard Bob's heritage like that