Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMack (View Post)
No, I wasn't, that's why I only referred to "us" as in "the fandom in general" in regards to Jasper, not Finn. See, I'll qoute it:

"Finn's was questionable", there's no fandom as subject. "But at least we got to see" the scenes were there and a Finn fan has just said that also.

So, as I said, Finn was poorly developed from the start, he quickly changed more than once, but his outburst, although questionable in its narrative, did have more development than Bellamy's a couple nights ago. Why? Because it was well motivated in a sense where we could see why it was happening. It must have been a shock to people back then, but you don't see those episodes being referenced as bad writing, although we can see some people referencing those episodes as a bad experience. Now, with 3x04, I repeat, it wasn't only a matter of Bellamy nor only 3x04, 3x03 was already a bit of a mess. The thing is, we saw Finn gradually going crazy. Quick, but there. With Bellamy it was literally not there a minute ago and then it was. We saw Finn's rage building up, no matter what the fandom thinks. Perfect writing? No, but it was understandable whithin the narrative. With Bellamy it was so ridiculously rushed on scene that not even Bob seemed to believe what he was saying. 3x04 is all over the place being criticized as overall bad writing. It didn't strike me as bad writing when I watched those Finn episodes, but, even before Bellamy agreed with Pike, 3x03 already struck me in a negative way in regards to its narrative pace.

It would be whithin the nature of the show, had Bellamy's choice taken a few more episodes(even Finn had more episodes building up to his crazy acts). It didn't. The episode wasn't true to scenes that happened just a minute prior. With Clarke we could see where her condoning toorture was coming from, the pain was in her eyes during that. Bellamy went from pained to automatic "let's do this". Bellamy acting this way is not shocking, I repeat, we would understand it an episode later. 3x04 was poorly written in general and it specially wounded Bellamy's arc, which could have been amazing, weren't it so poorly written. This was not more or less how he acted in season 1, or he wouldn't have given a **** about those 300 dead, but he did. When he were in favor of attacking the grounders, the grounders were like the reapers, they knew absolutely nothing about them except that they were violent and putting them in risk. That's also where Finn was at the beginning of season 2, grounders were the enemy. This Bellamy, however, has colived with grounders for three months now and is practically brother-in-law to one of them. He teaches with one of them. His sister aspires to be one of them.

If you're not scandilized, then you didn't know much about Bellamy, what he's beccome. The scandal is in the fact that it took him so little to give in, considering he was against Pike's idea a minute ago and was never an influenceable character. He influenced, not the opposite. Bellamy didn't go to lovable over night. Rewatch season 1, please. It was a gradual thing, same with Murphy, same with what they seemed to be doing in the first half of 3x04, when they were handling Bellamy's downfall well.
Okay. I just disagree with you. I have watched season 1 all the way through about 3 times, thank you very much. I know exactly what Bellamy's character arc has been. Based on your analysis, I think I know Bellamy better than you. (You think Bellamy isn't easily influenced? This is the guy who was handed a gun and convinced on the spot to assassinate the Chancellor. So...) I've been with this fandom from the very beginning and I know how people reacted to Finn's arc last season because I was right here on this forum listening to people rage about how it was terrible writing and came out of nowhere. The same thing they're doing right now. But whatever. Clearly we aren't going to agree on this ever. Let's move on.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
Okay. I just disagree with you. I have watched season 1 all the way through about 3 times, thank you very much. I know exactly what Bellamy's character arc has been. Based on your analysis, I think I know Bellamy better than you. (You think Bellamy isn't easily influenced? This is the guy who was handed a gun and convinced on the spot to assassinate the Chancellor. So...) I've been with this fandom from the very beginning and I know how people reacted to Finn's arc last season because I was right here on this forum listening to people rage about how it was terrible writing and came out of nowhere. The same thing they're doing right now. But whatever. Clearly we aren't going to agree on this ever. Let's move on.
It doesn't seem like you do. Bellamy was never convinced of it, it was his only choice. Would he kill the guy who killed both his parents and trapped his sister in a basement, then enjailed her for being born, so he could make it to the ship and go with her? He definitely would! Even today's Bellamy easily would. It's like "here, if you kill Lexa, you can have your sister back" please, Lexa would be dead in an eyeroll... Ok, so you've seen people rage against his actions itself and how that was porly written. Doess it make it not so? Have you seen the episode get major backlash even from Finn haters for its poor writing? I'm curious... Because, yeah, major clexa reviewers have found 3x04 to be ****ty. Nonshippers have slept through it. It isn't aa matter of caring more about Bellamy, but that it was overall bad writing with an even more out of nowhere happening then Finn's, which even Finn lovers admit to have been a little more developped then Bellamys.

Basically, I felt as ashamed by this episode's writing as I was during Shadowhunters' pilot, which was utter **** in terms of plot planning. I'm more worried about the consistency of the series writing than I am about Bellamy's choice. Some people could have raaged laater on, but majorly we would have accepted that better had he had at least the same development as Finn's, but preferably better.
"Because I love you, you idiot!"
Old 02-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
It doesn't seem like you do. Bellamy was never convinced of it, it was his only choice. Would he kill the guy who killed both his parents and trapped his sister in a basement, then enjailed her for being born, so he could make it to the ship and go with her? He definitely would! Even today's Bellamy easily would. It's like "here, if you kill Lexa, you can have your sister back" please, Lexa would be dead in an eyeroll... Ok, so you've seen people rage against his actions itself and how that was porly written. Doess it make it not so? Have you seen the episode get major backlash even from Finn haters for its poor writing? I'm curious... Because, yeah, major clexa reviewers have found 3x04 to be ****ty. Nonshippers have slept through it. It isn't aa matter of caring more about Bellamy, but that it was overall bad writing with an even more out of nowhere happening then Finn's, which even Finn lovers admit to have been a little more developped then Bellamys.

Basically, I felt as ashamed by this episode's writing as I was during Shadowhunters' pilot, which was utter **** in terms of plot planning. I'm more worried about the consistency of the series writing than I am about Bellamy's choice. Some people could have raaged laater on, but majorly we would have accepted that better had he had at least the same development as Finn's, but preferably better.
I am a nonshipper and I thought the episode was very exciting and generally pretty good. The Arkadia storyline was rushed and could have been better in a lot of ways, but it wasn't out of character for Bellamy. This is par for the course for this show. What I'm saying is: the reaction from the fandom is over the top. If you are so ashamed and distraught over the allegedly terrible writing, you are free to stop watching whenever you want. Either way, I am completely done arguing with you about it.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Just my two cents here: I don't necessarily think it was out of character, but perhaps a more well-paced episode would have helped people see how it might, to some degree, be in character.
ICON
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Totally agree April. Not out of character - just a wee bit fast.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I am a nonshipper and I thought the episode was very exciting and generally pretty good. The Arkadia storyline was rushed and could have been better in a lot of ways, but it wasn't out of character for Bellamy. This is par for the course for this show. What I'm saying is: the reaction from the fandom is over the top. If you are so ashamed and distraught over the allegedly terrible writing, you are free to stop watching whenever you want. Either way, I am completely done arguing with you about it.
Oh, have you? Exciting it was, with the fight and all, but... Seriously? Did you think killing Nia was a good idea? Did you think it made sense that Bellamy would be questioning a shot earlier and going with Pike a shot later? Did you think nightblood maade sense in this universe? Ok, then... It wasn't out of character of him to make the decision. It was out of character of him to make it after two shots, and really poorly developed. It's not just the fandom, tv critics have loathed its pace too. I'm expecting it to get better, I'm the only one of my friends who haven't given up on this season yet, but this episode was a terrible one, and I couldn't ever ask someone to watch it.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Kenni and April I agree with y'all. Y'all also have Joe and Legolas Two of my favorites.

I'm not as frustrated about Bellmany as I thought I might be. I'm not really frustrated at all, actually. We'll see how I feel after the next episode. He is really broken and scared and down right now, and he is trying to prevent his people from becoming victims...again. Doesn't mean that it's right, but in his mind being peaceful and going along with the grounders hasn't worked out for them yet. But yes, it was rushed. I'm curious to see how he behaves next episode though.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Oh, have you? Exciting it was, with the fight and all, but... Seriously? Did you think killing Nia was a good idea? Did you think it made sense that Bellamy would be questioning a shot earlier and going with Pike a shot later? Did you think nightblood maade sense in this universe? Ok, then... It wasn't out of character of him to make the decision. It was out of character of him to make it after two shots, and really poorly developed. It's not just the fandom, tv critics have loathed its pace too. I'm expecting it to get better, I'm the only one of my friends who haven't given up on this season yet, but this episode was a terrible one, and I couldn't ever ask someone to watch it.
Pfft. Okay.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph26 (View Post)
Kenni and April I agree with y'all. Y'all also have Joe and Legolas Two of my favorites.
A fellow Joe fan!

Quote:
I'm curious to see how he behaves next episode though.
Me, too.
ICON
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Fuzzy I don't know if I agree with you re: fans saying there's good development when a character becomes good. I don't think you can argue that they didn't do a good job with Bellamy, especially in this regard. They spent ALOT of time on him in season 1. I mean, compared to this recent episode, that's for sure.

I personally like seeing people go "dark" or whatever you want to call it - to me that's much more compelling then watching a ****ty person turn good. And I'm certainly not alone with this.

I thought they did a very mediocre job with Finn, but given that they spent more than an episode showing us that he was starting to become questionable, I was able to go along with it. Plus I didn't like him and we knew he was going to die But seriously, the writers messed this one up big time. I don't care if Bellamy turns into a total jerk again, just show me why in a way that makes sense I totally get why he could possibly side with Pike, but I will never be convinced it was shown to us properly. We'll have to see how the next episode plays out re: them mowing down 300 Grounders.

I still really think they ******* the bed with the whole Gina thing, too. Heck, if they even gave us more than 1.5 mins of dialogue between them over the course of those two episodes, I could have been convinced that they had a relationship that was really meangingful and enough for Bellamy to be truly and utterly wrecked.

Also I need to stop posting on here when it's my bedtime and I'm half asleep, cause I already forgot what I wrote here.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacatia (View Post)
Fuzzy I don't know if I agree with you re: fans saying there's good development when a character becomes good. I don't think you can argue that they didn't do a good job with Bellamy, especially in this regard. They spent ALOT of time on him in season 1. I mean, compared to this recent episode, that's for sure.
Thank you. Also, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Quote:
I still really think they ******* the bed with the whole Gina thing, too. Heck, if they even gave us more than 1.5 mins of dialogue between them over the course of those two episodes, I could have been convinced that they had a relationship that was really meangingful and enough for Bellamy to be truly and utterly wrecked.
They probably thought showing them kissing was enough But like Bellamy said, he didn't even know her name, he was maajorly hurt because it was his fault, hers and the other many deaths... It wasn't, Belly baby, it wasn- well, it was.

Anyway, I sincerely felt every tear he shred, but then they just timejumped monstruously without doing so and he was all "******* yeah, let's kill some grounders, I love guns!" Bellamy/Guns forever and ever, otp
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Passionate Fan

People keep bringing up Gina and that her relationship with Bellamy wasn't developed enough to really sell the idea that he was so upset over her to motivate his actions with Pike. But Gina was not the only one killed. Over 40 of the Sky People blew up in Mt. Weather. Bellamy feels responsible for each and everyone of those lives because he chose to trust a Grounder. Far more than Gina is weighing on his mind.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Addicted Fan

That's how I see it too; while they've used Gina to have him talk about, it really boils down to every death and pain he feels responsible for.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
(You think Bellamy isn't easily influenced? This is the guy who was handed a gun and convinced on the spot to assassinate the Chancellor. So...)
Nobody convinced him to kill Jaha. They blackmailed him to do it so he could be with his sister. It´s not like he had a great choice here. It was either do it or never see Octavia again.

Quote:
So, as I said, Finn was poorly developed from the start, he quickly changed more than once, but his outburst, although questionable in its narrative, did have more development than Bellamy's a couple nights ago. Why? Because it was well motivated in a sense where we could see why it was happening.
I still think Finns development was awful writing. He did go from pacifist to mass murder unarmed children in just a few episodes. It was ridiculous.

Bellamy was always very layered and grey. He always had his good and bad sides. He never was like Murphy for example in season 1. He always tried to keep the 100 save. The only really bad thing he did was sabotaging the radio and that was out of fear and panic.

Last edited by Skylarc; 02-14-2016 at 12:51 AM
Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Bellamy always felt responsible for other people and always blamed himself, when he couldn't protect somebody but they chose to focus on his grieve and pain through Gina, a girl we barely knew. His relationship with her was not well established and it just felt flat because of it. At least to me.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.