Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM
Total Fan

Oh my god, you nsync fans... I used to give my baby sister so much grief about liking boy bands. She's still bitter about it like 20 years later.

What is the difference between blocking and muting on twitter?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Master Fan

So I guess when you block someone on twitter it sends that person a notification that they've been blocked and they can't interact with your content at all by tagging you or anything like that. When you mute someone, they don't even know that you've done it and you just don't have to see any of the obnoxious stuff that they posted. I think at one point, the mute option was supposed to be only for people that you follow but I was given the option on someone I don't follow.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob's blocked and/or muted a lot of the crazies on twitter. Oh, and apparently Jason gave Bob and Richard tickets to go see the Avett Brothers last night.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've never muted or blocked anyone...I have less than 200 followers I don't tweet that much and when I do it's really weird or boring and I wind up losing a follower

Fuzzy - 'nsync is the premier boy band (white one anyway) of our time, I will have you know! 17 year old me was ALLLLLL about them. Oh man.

Never heard of the Avett Brothers! I will google them.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 AM
Passionate Fan

Then I wouldn’t be sure if I would block or mute. Part of me would want to block so those fans knew I didn’t want to see their tweets. But then like MiniElky mentioned, they could just sign up with a new account. Which is actually creepy if you ask me. So I guess muting it would be.

I just don’t get the obsessive/crazy fans. Bob is a great actor. He’s certainly nice to look at, but there’s more to him and his character than that. But then even as a teenager I didn’t fangirl even a fraction as much as some of these crazies, granted online social media wasn’t a fraction of what it is today either. But still, I don’t think I could have gone for that. So maybe it’s just a mentality I will never understand.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Same here - I had my fair share of OMG crushes on actors and performers when I was a teen, but I used my Tripod webpage as an outlet I thought doing a little fanpage was enough. I didn't even plaster my walls with posters, not even my beloved 'nsync. I had maybe 4 or 5 posters on my wall. I just don't understand the extreme/aggressive mentality these kids have now...

Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Master Fan

^Neither do I. I plastered my walls with posters and got to meet them a couple of times but when I got to meet *NSYNC I just shook their hands and told them how much I loved their music. I'm pretty sure that was all I was able to get out b/c I was close to hyperventilating.

I like interacting with my favorite actors and sports stars but I don't need them to tweet me back or retweet something in order for me to feel validated. Sadly, it seems like a lot of these people do need that validation which I just don't get. I mean, if they have those thoughts about the actors that they love then they should just keep it to themselves and not be so damn inappropriate and creepy.

Lisa, did you figure out who the Avett Brothers are? I first heard them when they performed with Mumford & Sons a few years ago. I like their sound and usually love bands like that live so I can understand why Bob was excited.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave princess (View Post)

Lisa, did you figure out who the Avett Brothers are? I first heard them when they performed with Mumford & Sons a few years ago. I like their sound and usually love bands like that live so I can understand why Bob was excited.
I just Googled them and I've never heard of them! Not really my style from the sounds of it but I'm open-minded when it comes to tunes so I think I'll give them a listen.

I wish I got free concert tickets, all the time! Only happened once, thanks to my brother via his beer dealer

The other thing is that people act like they know celebs, but you don't KNOW them. You know the person you see in interviews or on the show, but it's not the same as chilling with them at a bar, playing video games, etc. Bob could be a total dud in real life (although I doubt it), but girls will go insane based on what they don't know.

That said, I still find him very attractive But you have to take a step back and realise they're all human and they all take dumps, too.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniElky (View Post)
The other thing is that people act like they know celebs, but you don't KNOW them. You know the person you see in interviews or on the show, but it's not the same as chilling with them at a bar, playing video games, etc. Bob could be a total dud in real life (although I doubt it), but girls will go insane based on what they don't know.

That said, I still find him very attractive But you have to take a step back and realise they're all human and they all take dumps, too.
This. It so very much boggles the mind. And you don't even really know the person in an interview. They have agents and PR people they pay to help them look good and say the right things. Not to say none of their actual personality comes through, but so much is for show. Because that's their job.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Exactly - we see glimpses of their personalities, but don't really know what they are like as people. It's a completely different ball game.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Total Fan

There's a funny psychological effect that happens with famous people. Because we see them so often, our brains start to recognize their faces just like we would with any other person that we know in our personal lives. So people start to get the sensation that they actually KNOW a celebrity and feel like they're friends. I guess some people just have a harder time dealing with that feeling rationally.

This 'nsync conversation is so funny to me. I'm the same age as you guys, but my experience of it was totally different. I hated the boy bands so hard. I was getting into old stuff like David Bowie and Led Zeppelin and like punk rock. But my sister who is seven years younger than me loved them and I actually went with her to an 'nsync concert once because I thought it would be hilarious. And of course it was. The screaming was unbelievable! I was just like "Wooooooow!" and laughing my face off. Good times.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Fuzzy - I was never a huge fan of pop music and that type of stuff, prior to 'nsync my favourites were band like RHCP and Stone Temple Pilots, the Offspring, more of that alt-rock to whatever you want kind of rock 90's stuff (which I still love). 'nsync and Britney were my guilty (or NOT!! I love a great melody, and I love great choreography - something lacking these days. I also love solid theatrics and a great spectacle) pleasures during that time period, and I loved those days.

After that, I turned into a total indie music snob (I subscribed to pretentious magazines and took pride in knowing cool bands nobody else knew about) and I during that time period I discovered alot of great bands that I still love, but nowadays I'm more into whatever I like, I don't care what it is. And now I HATE music snobs! haha. Although I still reserve to insult crappy songs and artists, ok!! My two favourite bands now are QOTSA and Interpol.

Totally OT but I love talking about music

Umm....Bob/Bellamy is cool

Old 01-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Total Fan

Bob has really great taste in music. Or at least, I am with him on his love for Radiohead.

It's ironic about the whole music taste from the 90's thing because now I listen to a ton of k-pop, which is basically all boy bands! I love it though. The older I get, the less I care about "cool" music and I just want to dance and sing mindlessly to stuff.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Same here - and I'm too lazy to go unrooting ~*cool new bands*~ so I just like whatever is accessible now

I feel like Bob is totally a cool guy who likes cool bands, though

Old 01-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Total Fan

Yeah, he might be a bit of a hipster.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Ohhh I'm late, but can I jump on the nsync convo? I was pretty huge into them. I even printed out a calendar of when they would be on TV and would put it on the fridge so that I wouldn't miss anything. Still a JT fan, but not obsessed. He just oozes talent left and right.

I do think it would be hard to be a celebrity in this day and age. I could never do it. I already block people, and I'm not even a celebrity. That lack of privacy and fear of fans. It would be hard for anyone to deal with it. How many celebrities have had to deal with fans breaking into their houses and stuff? Creepy.