Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Acceptable Losses [5x07] Episode Discussion Airdate [06-19-18] #2

5x07: Acceptable Losses

(9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

FRIENDSHIP
Clarke (Eliza Taylor) and Bellamy (Bob Morley) make a startling discovery about Wonkru’s battle plans as Echo (Tasya Teles) risks her friendship with Raven (Lindsey Morgan) to complete her mission. Paige Turco, Henry Ian Cusick, Marie Avgeropoulos, Richard Harmon, Chris Larkin also star. Mairzee Almas directed the episode written by Jeff Vlaming (#507).

Basic Rules:
- Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.

- No Character/Actor/ship Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.

- Everything is a spoiler until it has aired. Please do not post any promos or promotional photos without a spoiler cut (only the TV promo that has aired is considered not a spoiler).

- Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.

- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Continue here, guys!

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 06-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Hart of Dixie

Tftnt
Old 06-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Tftnt.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
You guys. When Octavia and Kara were explaining the worm plan, they said they did experiments that showed that the worms couldn't survive in a green environment. So what's going to happen is that the worms will kill all of the people and then die. There wouldn't be any long term consequences to the valley. Wonkru would just be able to clear out the bodies and move in.
That's what I thought, and which is why I felt that Octavia's plan was honestly not that shabby ... it would rid the valley of the Eligius people and would die off soon so they wouldn't cause permanent damage in the area. Of course, there was the concern of collateral damage but Octavia was obviously fine with that.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
Of course, there was the concern of collateral damage but Octavia was obviously fine with that.
The part where Octavia told Bellamy that she didn't want his friends to die literally gave me chills. I can't wait for The Dark Year episode to finally air. I'm so interested to see what got her to that point.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
No problem.

That's what I thought, and which is why I felt that Octavia's plan was honestly not that shabby ... it would rid the valley of the Eligius people and would die off soon so they wouldn't cause permanent damage in the area. Of course, there was the concern of collateral damage but Octavia was obviously fine with that.
The problem with this analysis is that it requires you to trust that Kara is correct--that her testing was comprehensive and she didn't miss any way in which the worms could adapt to living in the green valley. Given their ability to adapt to and survive Praimfaya conditions I'm not convinced. And there are plenty of real-world examples when people thought that they could keep invasive species contained...and were totally wrong.

Even discounting the "collateral damage" problem, I wouldn't want those worms anywhere near the last green space on Earth!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 AM
Total Fan

I really don't think we need to overthink Kara's conclusion about the worms in the valley. The writers threw that in specifically to diffuse the audience's concern about that. Will the worms destroy that valley? No. That's what they told us. They want this debate to focus on the "acceptable losses" human angle. It would be way too easy to say it's clearly the wrong decision because of the environmental effect. That's not how The 100 does things.

It's weird though because of Octavia's arc through the series. She really hasn't been that close to anybody in that group since early on. Who is in the valley right now that aren't in Diyoza's group? Raven, Echo, Kane, Abby, Murphy, and Emori. I don't think Octavia has even met Emori and she was ready to kill both Kane and Echo not too long ago. Maybe Octavia would feel bad about Raven, but I don't really remember them ever being close. Octavia has always been on her own journey and her main ties have been Bellamy, Lincoln, and Indra. So I guess when I think about it, this attitude isn't a huge surprise to me. Her priority is the 800+ lives she's been responsible for over the past 6 years.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
The problem with this analysis is that it requires you to trust that Kara is correct--that her testing was comprehensive and she didn't miss any way in which the worms could adapt to living in the green valley. Given their ability to adapt to and survive Praimfaya conditions I'm not convinced. And there are plenty of real-world examples when people thought that they could keep invasive species contained...and were totally wrong.

Even discounting the "collateral damage" problem, I wouldn't want those worms anywhere near the last green space on Earth!
Yeah I scratched my head at that analysis as well. I mean, they haven't tested the worms in the actual environment of Eden outside of the lab...so how can they be sure? It's way too big of a risk to take in the last survivable land on Earth.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJoyful (View Post)
The part where Octavia told Bellamy that she didn't want his friends to die literally gave me chills. I can't wait for The Dark Year episode to finally air. I'm so interested to see what got her to that point.
Me too, but also I'm seriously nervous to find out. Still convinced that it's cannibalism that led to that year being referenced as such (given the hints mentioned earlier on in the season i.e. Abby talking about the Blight up on the Ark) so I'll be honestly surprised if it's something else.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)

Exactly. And Kara came up with this analysis within a few days, using those sad looking plants which have been growing underground in drastically different conditions for the past six years as test subjects? Forgive me if I'm not ready to jump on board with her plan.

Quote:
I really don't think we need to overthink Kara's conclusion about the worms in the valley. The writers threw that in specifically to diffuse the audience's concern about that. Will the worms destroy that valley? No. That's what they told us.
But the writers also had Monty tell us that Kara is nucking futs if she believes with any certainty the worms won't devastate the area. I tend to agree with him.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
But the writers also had Monty tell us that Kara is nucking futs if she believes with any certainty the worms won't devastate the area. I tend to agree with him.
All of this! I would trust Monty over creepy sniper/farmer/cultist lady any day of the week.

And that was a very good point regarding Kara's testing. She absolutely can't guarantee that they wont have a negative affect on Eden, the controlled environment of the lab is very different.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Total Fan

I'm really looking forward to The Dark Year. Like everybody, I'm half expecting cannibalism to be involved, but I also think there have been some hints that it will actually be a heroic story for Octavia. In 5x02, when Kane was trying to convince Octavia about the fighting pit thing, he talked about her getting them through the Dark Year like she had done something really great. And Niylah telling Clarke that explaining her loyalty to Octavia would be like trying to explain the sun to someone who'd never seen it? I think the writers are gonna do a surprise emotional flip on us. Everybody will be expecting to find out some hideous dark secret about Octavia and Wonkru that will explain how she became a monster, but I think they're gonna go in the opposite direction. Right before the big climactic final two episodes, just when everybody is ready to write off Octavia as The Worst Person Ever after all the crazy ish she did this season, they'll show us the other side. So then in the finale, whether it's Octavia vs. Diyoza or Octavia vs. Clarke or Octavia vs. Bellamy, we'll feel conflicted about who we want to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
When did this happen??

Edit: I rewatched all of the Monty scenes and this didn't happen. He wasn't even in the scene where Octavia and Kara revealed the worm plan and Monty never commented on it in any of his scenes after that.

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop; 06-23-2018 at 07:58 AM
Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
When did this happen??

Edit: I rewatched all of the Monty scenes and this didn't happen. He wasn't even in the scene where Octavia and Kara revealed the worm plan and Monty never commented on it in any of his scenes after that.
It was before they have spoken with Octavia and Kara
Monty was sitting together with Bellamy and Clarke
Bellamy has said: „Still, if she weaponize those things and sends them into the valley, then Echo, Raven, Kane, your mom ...“
Monty: „Not just them. All of us. Unleashing an invasive species on the last arable land on earth is a monumentally bad idea.“

I don’t trust Kara and her test results
She only could test it in a lab
There are always things which can go wrong
I think Monty is absolutely right … it‘s very dumb to bring the worms to the valley
Old 06-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 (View Post)
It was before they have spoken with Octavia and Kara
Monty was sitting together with Bellamy and Clarke
Bellamy has said: „Still, if she weaponize those things and sends them into the valley, then Echo, Raven, Kane, your mom ...“
Monty: „Not just them. All of us. Unleashing an invasive species on the last arable land on earth is a monumentally bad idea.“

I don’t trust Kara and her test results
She only could test it in a lab
There are always things which can go wrong
I think Monty is absolutely right … it‘s very dumb to bring the worms to the valley
So Clarke brought up Monty's concern to Kara, she explained why it wouldn't be a problem, and that was the end of the discussion. Nobody worried about it at all after that. Monty didn't worry about it even though he had plenty of opportunity in his multiple scenes later to bring it up if he really thought it was still a problem. They wanted to get that question out of the way so that they can focus on the real problem. The whole debate at this point is if it's okay to kill 300 people plus some of your own friends to win a war. Classic The 100 dilemma.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
So Clarke brought up Monty's concern to Kara, she explained why it wouldn't be a problem, and that was the end of the discussion. Nobody worried about it at all after that. Monty didn't worry about it even though he had plenty of opportunity in his multiple scenes later to bring it up if he really thought it was still a problem. They wanted to get that question out of the way so that they can focus on the real problem. The whole debate at this point is if it's okay to kill 300 people plus some of your own friends to win a war. Classic The 100 dilemma.
I just don't see why they would have included that dialogue regarding the worms destroying Eden if it wasn't going to be an issue at some point. I wouldn't have even considered the environmental implications if they didn't have Monty bring it up in the first place. Before then, they only showed the worms as carnivorous parasites.