Fan Forum Hero

It's about time

Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting, Lisa! So exciting!
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Was it the one that Lindsey posted on Twitter recently? Guessing not since it doesn't have the whole cast right? Bob and Devon aren't in it.

Anyhow, don't think this has been posted yet so:

Quote:
17 Shows that Fly the Feminist Flag

First up is the post-apocalyptic drama that stole all our hearts this year. It's been lauded as one of the most feminist shows on TV and for good reason. Not only does Clarke Griffin have no time for love triangle shenanigans, the rest of the female cast shines with empowerment too. They are doctors, warriors, mechanics, leaders, and every other job under the sun. Weaker sex? Puh-lease.
Source

Yeah baby, this show is chockful of strong ladies. So awesome.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So 16 episodes it is...yay!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

YAY glad it's finally confirmed. Though no premiere date yet. An article about it here, if anyone's interested.

Another great article:

Quote:
Almost every single person who actually gets over their genre bias and gives The 100 a chance will tell you the same thing: it’s a damn good show.

Not only are The 100‘s characters layered, realistic and engaging, but the stories told from week to week are full of shocking twists and turns.

We tune in expecting greatness, and we usually get it, but sometimes the show goes above and beyond our wildest imaginings.
My favourite bit:

Quote:
Expectation: Clarke is the main character, so she’s probably the most bland and boring one.

Reality: CLARKE IS A ******* AWESOME BADASS BOSS AND EVERYONE LOVES HER.

You ever hear of “main character unlikability syndrome”? Probably not, because we just made it up, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a thing.

Unfortunately, in most ensemble shows, the main character is usually the one fans connect to the least. They’re at the center of most storylines, which means they take screentime away from the more mysterious, interesting secondary characters, and they are given more flaws to justify their beefed-up storylines. Alternatively, if they don’t have flaws, people think they’re boring.

Jack from Lost is a prime example of an unpopular main character. Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is (arguably) another, as is Elena from The Vampire Diaries.

The 100 might easily have encountered this problem with Clarke, not because she’s not fantastic, but because there are so many fantastic characters on that show who might have stolen the audience’s hearts: Octavia, Raven, Bellamy, Lincoln, Murphy and Lexa, to mention a very select few.

But somehow, The 100 has managed to strike an almost impossible balance. Fans adore the secondary characters, but most of them still love Clarke, and count her among their absolute favorites.

Clarke is a badass, flawed, complicated hero and 99% of the fans love her to pieces. How many other shows can boast such universal love for their main character?
+

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 08-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So true, to everything that person wrote.

I can't think of a show where I care about every single character, Jasper aside

Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Master Fan

So it's been confirmed that we're getting 16 episodes? Awesome!

And thanks for the articles Sarah! I get that Clarke is a lead character but to call her the main character is something that's been bugging me about the media in general lately. Treating the character as though she's the end all, be all. I love Clarke but this is an ensemble cast which is exactly why I'm hoping for some changes in season 3.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Total Fan

Lol @ that article. I don't like Clarke very much. I find her very bleh and dreary. Maybe I'm one of the 1%, but that seems unlikely because I personally know of much fewer than 100 fans of the show in real life and there's a chunk of those people that hate Clarke. It's probably not 99% positive. Maybe like 75%.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with Amy though, she's the 'lead' but I feel like she doesn't have to be the main character, there are other things going on outside of her little bubble IMO. I want more focus on other characters too!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacatia (View Post)
I can't think of a show where I care about every single character, Jasper aside
Truer words were never spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave princess (View Post)
And thanks for the articles Sarah! I get that Clarke is a lead character but to call her the main character is something that's been bugging me about the media in general lately. Treating the character as though she's the end all, be all. I love Clarke but this is an ensemble cast which is exactly why I'm hoping for some changes in season 3.
I agree as well ... I love Clarke but credit should be given to this amazing set of characters too. The show wouldn't work without Bellamy/Raven/Monty especially and I think this is more of a ensemble show more than a show with a main/lead character and many supporting characters. I think we will really see a shift coming in with S3 ... at least in the first four/five episodes or so at least. Other characters will be given a chance to shine and as much as I adore Clarke, I think it's high time for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
It's probably not 99% positive. Maybe like 75%.
75% is still pretty high though.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent mayhem (View Post)
75% is still pretty high though.
Higher than a politician's approval rating. But I wouldn't go so far as to say she's universally loved. I think the character needs a lot of work.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

I do agree about that, she is definitely a work in progress. Season 2 Clarke especially is a trainwreck in many ways, she put too much faith in an alliance that ultimately didn't work and made many bad decisions. I still think she has a lot of good qualities that make her a great leader, she just needs to learn how to harness that properly.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And I think that comes along with her being a 17/18 year old girl As much as I love this show and the fact that it's about kids (attempting to) running things, these are still kids.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Total Fan

The problem with Clarke, I think, is that her personality is one-note. Like, I think it's great that she's flawed and makes a lot of bad decisions. I just want her to have any mode other than Extremely Serious At All Times. She's a drag.