Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wait, was it actually time to vote in a new round?

If so, I vote for #7, but I wonder if there was a tally buried somewhere.
ICON
Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Passionate Fan

Okay, finally took the time to write up my thoughts on that article Sarah posted in the last thread. I've just quoted my favorite bits and bolded some key parts.

Quote:
Just like in the real world, in times of distress, you lean on loved ones — heedless of any clean-cut label on the relationship. The question of whether the two will ever kiss is relevant to fans invested in Bellarke (the colloquial term for their pairing), but on a narrative level, it’s secondary to the practicality of their relationship.

Whether or not they’re attracted to one another, Clarke and Bellamy get **** done. Their story is most compelling when these two characters balance out each other’s more extreme traits and focus their tense dynamic outwards. Season 2 — the show’s best to date — saw this with their destruction of Mount Weather. Bellamy’s penchant for impulsive risk-taking fused with Clarke’s forceful decision-making worked to save their people.

Season 3 was narratively weaker, in part because it stranded Clarke and Bellamy across disparate subplots. Without Clarke’s steadiness, Bellamy jumped head-first into following orders from a misguided leader. Meanwhile, without Bellamy as her anchor, Clarke was physically and mentally isolated to the point where she was disconnected from her own people when she finally returned to them. For the middle stretch of Season 3, The 100 felt aimless because “getting **** done” was on the back burner.

This isn’t to say Clarke should never kiss anybody ever again, whether it’s Bellamy, Niylah, or someone entirely new. As long as it’s well-executed on a storytelling level and the writing continues to recognize that Clarke’s relationship with Bellamy is one of its greatest strengths — divorced from the question of romance — live and let live. From the ashes of an uneven Season 3, The 100 Season 4 will rise.

We’ve discussed in the past the various reasons we may ship certain couples. There are pairings I ship on a much more superficial level. The two are simply fun or entertaining. At times I become much more invested. I care about the character and his/her story. And so am very much invested in the characters relationships as well. Then there are times in which a relationship itself is almost a separate entity - a character unto itself. Such is the case with Bellarke. Part of what I love about this article is that it so well embraces the fact that even when taking romance out of the equation Bellamy and Clarke’s relationship is pivotal. Their bond is a tangible presence within the narrative.

The writer mentioned that the two balance each other. We’ve already discussed this ad nausuem in the concept that they complement each other. They function best together. It’s often said how impressive it is that these two learned to work together so well considering how they butted heads in the beginning. But when you really examine these two - both as individuals and together - it becomes apparent that that was the only way. They both needed someone to challenge, question, and ultimately push to something better than either could be or do on their own.

Now, I want to move on specifically to the comments about Season 3.

Quote:
Without Clarke’s steadiness, Bellamy jumped head-first into following orders from a misguided leader.

Bellamy is a capable leader. But he sometimes lacks focus. He doesn’t always think things through. He’s a man of action. While I believe he’s capable of patience - man couldn’t have been brought up as he was on the Ark without it - he also intensely fears for the worst if he’s not actively doing something to prevent it. Pike provided the option to take action. And in the wake of so much destruction after what Bellamy perceived as not enough action and too much talking it makes sense how that appealed to him. Bellamy can be level headed, but he needs assistance getting there sometimes.

Quote:
Without Bellamy as her anchor, Clarke was physically and mentally isolated to the point where she was disconnected from her own people when she finally returned to them.
You know, I’ve often talked about how Clarke is emotionally disconnected from the others. Bellamy is what ties her to their people. So I love the description of Bellamy as her anchor. And unfortunately since she then also physically disconnected herself from their people - and Bellamy - that just exacerbated her situation. She wasn’t emotionally equipped to truly help her people without that connection. She was adrift.

I like the direction this writer sees for Season 4. That the narrative will recognize the significance of Clarke’s relationship with Bellamy and focus on these two united to get **** done. I couldn’t ask for anything more.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, you may be right, April. Let me go check on the old thread if we have a tally.

Rosy's take on whether BC knew each other on the Ark:

Quote:
Ah well. He’s still 5 years older than her or so, and he was a cadet, but he implied that finding octavia ended his studies so it is possible that he continued his schooling past the normal age and it’s possible that he might have met Clarke during schooling. Maybe she was even advanced.

But am I basing them possibly knowing each other on the Ark on that? No. Not alone. The Ark was not that big, and the young people would probably be familiar with other people in their generation even if they don’t “know” them real well because of age or class differences.

Also, the show has made quite sure to never say whether or not Bellamy and Clarke have met before. It is entirely unknown at this point. They even made sure that when they did the flashback, they did not let Bellamy and Clarke even catch a glimpse of each other although they passed into the dropship only seconds from each other. It was quite noticeable.

And that in itself makes me suspicious.

I think they left their Ark relationship completely unknown on purpose. I think it’s something we’ll find out later. And that makes me think there might be something to find out.
X

I agree with her last sentence. Maybe we will get flashbacks but I'm not holding my breath (much) though.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've always said that, if there were any Ark flashbacks, I think I would just die if they, like, subtly brushed past each other in one of the hallls of the Ark or something. Nothing too over the top. Something understated yet electric.

I like those bits you bolded, too, Kenni. Especially the part about how they balance each other's extreme traits and that's when the story is the best.

I can't believe we're so close to the new season. I'm kind of not ready, just because life is so busy/hectic right now. Having the show back makes me feel like it should be March or April or May.
ICON
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

guys im fairly sure a lot of us already voted though ? no one brought over the tally.

eta:

#7 - Alexa, Go, Sarah, Lisa, Steph, April. Ana, Adie (8)
#11 - Paula, Kate (2)

Sarah, Lisa, you guys had voted 7 already. Are you switching your votes now?

April I'm kinda not ready either. As happy as I am to have it back I am also super busy! So its just gonna be hectic for me.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh well, even with Lisa and Sarah switching, #7 is out !

Just nodding at everything Kenny said...

Icon by Sarah

To the Sky King : Bellamy Blake
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay I would have probably voted for 7 as well
Old 01-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Elite Fan

I also vote for #7. Kicking it further into it's grave.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought #7 was out and we were voting for a new round
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

An interview with Jason was posted on Hypable and it sounds like Bellamy and Clarke will be together a lot this season . If this is a spoiler, deal with it.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

I was just going to mention that as well, Lisa. Anyway, I'll still keep the BC bits under the cut even though it's not spoilery (nothing concrete on BC's direction/scenes in season 4) :

Spoiler:

Great points, Kenni. Going to properly comment on it later.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxury (View Post)
An interview with Jason was posted on Hypable and it sounds like Bellamy and Clarke will be together a lot this season . If this is a spoiler, deal with it.
Thanks, Lisa. I can deal with this one. But I'm not reading the interview, so yes, spoiler tags are appreciated for it!
ICON
Old 01-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Basically, I'm looking forward to Bellarke being on screen the same time this season for once

Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Basically, I'm looking forward to Bellarke being on screen the same time this season for once
I was literally about to write the same exact thing girl I cant even express how happy it makes me that they're starting this season together, working together and then possibly staying together for most of the season. IT FEELS AMAZING

Sarah, thank you so much for bringing that over! Everything we're hearing about Bellamy and Clarke this season just makes me feel so good. SO GOOD. I dont remember feeling this way while we were waiting for season s3 and hearing things about s3 at all lol

Quote:
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose13 (View Post)
Sarah, thank you so much for bringing that over! Everything we're hearing about Bellamy and Clarke this season just makes me feel so good. SO GOOD. I dont remember feeling this way while we were waiting for season s3 and hearing things about s3 at all lol
This. I remembered some great articles coming out just before episode 2 of season 3 aired but I feel that we got a lot more general Bellarke comments/articles this season.

Back later, busier with CNY stuff today.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won