Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Elite Fan

Open Bar (OT) #17: Time flies when you're having fun being off-topic!

Welcome to the OT thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Thanks, Cristal. I'm hanging in there and staying optimistic. I really want to stay here in Nebraska with my family, but if I wanted to practice in another state, I would likely have to take the bar exam in that state and PASS it. I really don't want to have to study for bar again! It was stressful enough the first time around. A few states have reciprocity with Nebraska - which means they would accept my passing the Nebraska bar. But I haven't really looked into it too much. Like I said, I planned on staying here. But...if the right position would come up, I would consider moving and jumping through those hoops.

That's great that you got all four years paid for! Good grades certainly do help. That's what got me my full ride in undergrad. I'm so grateful that I don't have THAT debt to worry about now.
I def understand your dilemma Keri. I'd hate to leave my family too and being so far...sometimes things have to be done though. I really hope you find something in Nebraska, I know how important family is Why does growing up suck?!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Thanks, Cristal. I'm hanging in there and staying optimistic. I really want to stay here in Nebraska with my family, but if I wanted to practice in another state, I would likely have to take the bar exam in that state and PASS it. I really don't want to have to study for bar again! It was stressful enough the first time around. A few states have reciprocity with Nebraska - which means they would accept my passing the Nebraska bar. But I haven't really looked into it too much. Like I said, I planned on staying here. But...if the right position would come up, I would consider moving and jumping through those hoops.

That's great that you got all four years paid for! Good grades certainly do help. That's what got me my full ride in undergrad. I'm so grateful that I don't have THAT debt to worry about now.
I def understand your dilemma Keri. I'd hate to leave my family too and being so far...sometimes things have to be done though. I really hope you find something in Nebraska, I know how important family is Why does growing up suck?!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread Cristal.

In the last thread you said you were itching to watch you OTH dvds I just did that last week. I went back and watched up until season 4, I have 5 but I don't really like it that much.

For new shows I was thinking about watching Off The Map it looks pretty interesting.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

I re-watched OTH season 1 recently. It was so good. I'm embarrassed by what it's become now.

I still want to give Raising Hope a try. I'm also supposed to start Skins, the UK version not the knock off MTV version, from the beginning soon. I'll be watching Community soon too. I've been meaning to watch that for months but have only watched 1 episode so far.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Elite Fan

No prob

I am itching to watch them and the worst part is that I start school on Monday so there's no time I think it comes from the lack of fanfiction to keep me entertained. I'm big on reading OTH fanfiction and nothing has really been updated or written as of late. It sucks! Even I haven't written in a while so I can't get angry with the writers of these fanfics.

I've heard of Off the Map but I don't know if I'm interested in it. I kind of want to watch The Chicago Code (no surprise!) and maybe The Cape...MAYBE. It seems funny but it looks like I'll get bored with it in two seconds. The upcoming winter schedule doesn't intrigue me at all. I've considered going back to Greys but I really, really don't feel the pull toward that show anymore. TV is seriously going through a dry spell. I tried watching Hellcats the other night just because my TV was on channel 9 (WGN/CW for me) anyway but I couldn't help but chuckle because I felt like I was watching a revamp of OTH in the highschool years...just more emphasis on the cheerleaders rather than basketball
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
No prob

I am itching to watch them and the worst part is that I start school on Monday so there's no time I think it comes from the lack of fanfiction to keep me entertained. I'm big on reading OTH fanfiction and nothing has really been updated or written as of late. It sucks! Even I haven't written in a while so I can't get angry with the writers of these fanfics.

I tried watching Hellcats the other night just because my TV was on channel 9 (WGN/CW for me) anyway but I couldn't help but chuckle because I felt like I was watching a revamp of OTH in the highschool years...just more emphasis on the cheerleaders rather than basketball
I used to read OTH fanfic too. Well only by this one person who was my favorite LP fic writer. I was constantly blown away by her work. I haven't checked if she's written anything in ages.

I always get OTH vibes when I watch Hellcats. I don't like it as a whole, but I do love Matt Barr so I watch for his character Dan. Plus I ship both his pairings but mainly Dan/Marti because they're like a mini-LP.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I would read OTH Fic all the time too I was addicted to it. I hate what the show has become it used to be so good.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkPunk88 (View Post)
I used to read OTH fanfic too. Well only by this one person who was my favorite LP fic writer. I was constantly blown away by her work. I haven't checked if she's written anything in ages.

I always get OTH vibes when I watch Hellcats. I don't like it as a whole, but I do love Matt Barr so I watch for his character Dan. Plus I ship both his pairings but mainly Dan/Marti because they're like a mini-LP.
Are you talking about Sheena? SMC27 or something like that? I really liked her fics too but after a while I just...didn't like her because I started noticing things that I didn't appreciate She doesn't write LP anymore, she's gone to the Glee fandom. I try to get into Glee but I just watch for the musical performances and that's it. That and the funny cheerleading coach

Matt Barr...that's Peyton's psychostalker right? My gosh! Who knew he'd be something other than creepy! I honest to goodness was doing a double take because that guy is so far from being creepy on this show but in OTH he just SCREAMED creepy even before we knew he was a stalker. Talk about good acting Strangely enough I did like that Marti character a bit but the acting seems so dry to me I can't seem to get into the emotions because I don't really feel them in the show. It's the only reason I got into OTH and now with LUX, that emotional pull. Hellcats just doesn't have that for me or at least the episode I watched.

I want some TV to watch because I like to have that hour away from work, school, and the stuff around me to escape into some good drama. I mean, for comedy I can always watch my Friends reruns before bed, or if I'm in the mood I can watch Criminal Minds reruns in the evening (they're always on) but Criminal Minds is a different drama. I want something with an emotional pull that I can relate to...with Lux being taken away, I don't know where I can get that
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know I need a new show but then again I really don't want to get addicted to another show. I already have 4 other shows that I watch I don't really need to watch anymore.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Elite Fan

What do you watch, Nat? Supernatural, Greys...LUX obv...what else?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Are you talking about Sheena? SMC27 or something like that? I really liked her fics too but after a while I just...didn't like her because I started noticing things that I didn't appreciate She doesn't write LP anymore, she's gone to the Glee fandom. I try to get into Glee but I just watch for the musical performances and that's it. That and the funny cheerleading coach

Matt Barr...that's Peyton's psychostalker right? My gosh! Who knew he'd be something other than creepy! I honest to goodness was doing a double take because that guy is so far from being creepy on this show but in OTH he just SCREAMED creepy even before we knew he was a stalker. Talk about good acting Strangely enough I did like that Marti character a bit but the acting seems so dry to me I can't seem to get into the emotions because I don't really feel them in the show. It's the only reason I got into OTH and now with LUX, that emotional pull. Hellcats just doesn't have that for me or at least the episode I watched.
Yep, that's exactly who I meant. I stopped reading fics after s6 ended so I'm sure I missed a lot of them. I can't get into Glee. I tried too, watched 3 episodes but it's not for me. I like the music but not the acting.

And yes, Matt is psycho!Derek. I adore him. I watched Harper's Island just for him and he's why I gave Hellcats a chance. I do feel the show is more about the risque and less about heart hence why I don't like it as a whole but it does have some...basically Dan/Marti scenes. Some Marti/Savannah scenes too, but I feel like the writers put most their effort into Dan/Marti.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Elite Fan

Hm...I youtubed Dan/Marti and that really looks intriguing I watched a clip of the dance or whatever it was. That episode with the 80s vibe. That Savannah character is not how I expected her to be. I watched an episode where Marti and her BF are sharing a bed and Savannah has Dan sleep on the floor and she starts freaking out because she thinks he sees her as a prude. I mean it was funny but I don't find their acting very substantial...but those scenes of Dan/Marti that I youtubed are totally different.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Thanks for the new thread, Cristal! And for the job search support.

I wish I could re-watch the first seasons of OTH, but I don't have the DVDs.

I watched the pilot of Hellcats, and I enjoyed it. But I haven't watched it since. I could definitely see myself shipping Dan/Marti. I've heard a lot of good things about them. It's just hard for me now...knowing that that they are taking LUX's timeslot. I know it's not their fault, but...

I really like Glee...but I agree, I watch it more for the musical performances than for the acting or storylines. I haven't really kept up with it this season.

As for new shows...there are some that look really entertaining. i.e., I would probably like one of the ships, or appreciate the drama. But nothing seems like it would have the emotional pull for me that LUX has.

Last edited by kerbear28; 01-07-2011 at 11:23 PM
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hm...I youtubed Dan/Marti and that really looks intriguing I watched a clip of the dance or whatever it was. That episode with the 80s vibe. That Savannah character is not how I expected her to be. I watched an episode where Marti and her BF are sharing a bed and Savannah has Dan sleep on the floor and she starts freaking out because she thinks he sees her as a prude. I mean it was funny but I don't find their acting very substantial...but those scenes of Dan/Marti that I youtubed are totally different.
I remember the bed scene. "At least he achieved mattress." Dan is so direct, I love him. I really just fast forward through episodes and watch Dan scenes. Dan with Savannah, Dan with Marti, Dan with anyone really and I'll watch it. Yeah, that was a good dance scene. Marti was so in denial. Savannah wasn't how I expected her to be from promos either. She's all positive and cheery and nice. I like her, but I'm an angst girl so I connect more with angsty characters.

I'm clipping scenes for a multi-fandom video and I had this scene on hand so I figured I'd upload it. It's one of my favorites.

YouTube - Six Months You Didn't Talk to Me