Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

Together after the show?

We've seen these actors together for the last ten years. After seeing my av and the associated clip from the 2002 Emmys, some people commented that seeing Courteney and David kiss seemed incestuous.

Having seen these actors portray the same characters for the past ten years, would you be able to watch them in a different venue (movie, play, different television show) and see them as another character? Like if Matthew and Courteney ever did a movie together, would you be constantly flashing back to Monica and Chandler? Would it be the same for David and Courteney who played siblings instead of a married couple?
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

That's a good discussion topic. Honestly, the only one I've been able to watch and not think of in "that way" is Jennifer Aniston...but that's probably b/c I have a crush on her still [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Honestly...it's not going to ever be fair to them as actors. Most likely it'll be a weird feeling seeing them as other characters. The difference maker will be, going into the movie thinking "I'll see Chandler in this film..."...you simply go in and enjoy the film without thinking that Matthew Perry is in it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

'lex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

If any of them ever appear in a movie together I don't think I'll be able to see them as their characters. If Courtney and David played a couple I wouldn't be able to watch b/c I would see Monica and Ross. When I have gone to see their movies like Fools Rush In, Scream, The Good Girl,.. so on and so forth, I was able to see them as the charcater they portrayed. But if they appered together it would remind me to much of [i]Friends[i/]. Which is really sad and not fair to them, but after being a devoted fan for 10 years I can't help but see it that way. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Loyal Fan

It depends a lot on how their new character is written. I mean, in every movie with Matthew Perry I've seen, he was some kind of Chandler...

But anyway, I could stay open to seeing them even as couples in other movies. Like for example I've always thought Jenn and Matthew have a great chemistry and I'd love to see them together in a movie. And CC actually spoke for the part of Rachel, so I've always thought that she might have had to play those scenes with David...

However, I do think I could think of them as the Friends if I saw two of them together in a movie... But it really depends on the script and their capability of being a little bit chamaleonic. I'd love to see Jenn and David in a movie, not being Ross and Rachel. But I doubt they will ever do that, since too many people would be stuck in the image of R&R... on the other side, just take a look at old movies with Bogart and Bacall... they always were the same, and still they were great. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Jesus, these people are pampered, aren't they? Nobody knows how to cook or make a drink. They're used to being waited on hand and foot by servants or Luke or the Yale cafeteria, and when left on their own they resemble Sims. Whining and moaning, peeing on the couch, whimpering that they're bored and hungry."
~Pamie at TWoP

journal
Nutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Elite Fan

That's weird. I was just reading an article in a magazine today with David in it. He said something like, "I just hope that when I'm 60 people still don't think my name is Ross." [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] It's funny, but true. It's like, Ross is his adopted name. And to be honest, I don't even think 'David' when I look at him. I think, Ross.

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by **SuperGirl**:
<STRONG>And to be honest, I don't even think 'David' when I look at him. I think, Ross.</STRONG>
That's true of me too. But he's the only one I think that about. I'm so used to Jennifer, Courteney and Matthew being in other things and at events and Matt and Lisa are so different from their characters that it's not hard to imagine them as themselves.

As to the topic at hand, I don't think I could see them in another project together without thinking about Friends. And since I'm sure they've thought about it too, I doubt we'll ever see them act together, which makes me sad. They have such great chemistry.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Extreme Fan

oh, i don't know if i'll be able to look at them and not think of their characters yet. i want to though, because i think that's what they'll want. otherwise it's unfair to them. but i have to admit, i wouldn't watch certain movies if they weren't in it, because i'm interested in seeing them act differently from their characters on Friends.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Extreme Fan

That's a really good question. I think it depends on the role. If Courteney is playing someone identical to Monica, of course I'm just going to picture Monica. But in 'The Good Girl' I didn't really like of Rachel.

As for them doing things together-- it may be a little weird to see Courteney and David playing a married couple or Jennifer and David playing sibling. But with like I said before, it depends on the roles-- if both the characters are opposite the Friends character, then I may be able to forget about it.

| videos | journal |
.:Lauren:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Extreme Fan

I think it may take me awhile to get away from thinking of them as their characters... Because I do it now... like, my husband was watching Scream 2 the other nite and I was playin on the computer, and I turned around and saw Courtney and I was like 'Oh god... Monica, bangs are not a good look' or something to that effect and he looked at me like I needed medication! *lol* For some reason though, I think Ross is gonna be the hardest one to break.. I dunno why.. just a feeling I have...

-Dreamer-Groupie-YOR-DirtyBird-JB Obsessie-
*Sarah Marie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM
New Fan

i think in a few yrs i would love to see pheobe and joey together doing something. i loved their characters and the way they interacted with one another. it would def. have to be a while down the road. its still too fresh seeing them in central perk especially with the reruns on at all hours of the day everyday!
Alge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Cotton Candy

I think it's very difficult to imagine our favorite sextet as any other characters besides Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, and Ross. When I saw The Good Girl, I was like "Woah, where did Rachel go?" .
Old 02-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Master Fan

Now, that's it been a while since they've graced our screens together, does anyone think differently about their answer? Or since the show is still available in reruns and on DVD, do you still see the cast in their Friends roles?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not sure yet. I have yet to see any of their projects post Friends. I want to see Happy Endings with Lisa. I think it was premiring at Sundance recently. Just from the way she looks with the brown hair I think it possible that I won't see "Phoebe".
Old 02-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Master Fan

I feel the same way. I haven't really seen the cast doing anything since the finale, so I'm not sure how I would feel about them working together again. It would definitely have to be a very different kind of project than Friends for me to really get passed I think.

I remember when Gillian Anderson interviewed David Duchovny about his film, Return to Me and she complemented him by saying that she didn't see any Mulder at all in his character. I think that's what I'd need is characters totally different from the ones they played before.
Reply   Post New Thread