Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Master Fan

Software Upgrade Announcement - Please Read and Respond!

From this announcement by Jerry D:
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Over the next week, Fan Forum will be undergoing a long overdue software upgrade. This new software should improve board performance, provide new features, and increase the security of this site. Many thanks go to the Fan Forum moderators, who for the last few weeks have been helping to beta test the new site.

In order to move to the new system, the current Fan Forum boards, posts and users will be backed up Wednesday night, May 5. Posts made or user settings changed on the current boards after that will not show up on the new boards. Also, please note that any saved Private Messages that you may have can't be imported into the new software, so you might want to copy and paste those messages somewhere else on your computer.

Important Information: Your Login ID in the new system will be your Publicly Displayed Name in the current system, rather than your Login Name in the current system. This means everyone needs to change their current Publicly Displayed Name to be what they want to be called in the new system by Wednesday, May 5, when the transfer will be done. Once your Login ID is set in the new system, you will not be able to change it!

Also note that custom avatars will have to be moved over manually, so make sure you have a copy to upload into the new system.

The switch will take place next weekend, May 8-9. Once the new site is opened, the current site will remain open for a time until we're sure the new system is working properly.

If you have any questions or problems during this process, please post them to the Software Upgrade Discussion Topic on the Questions & Answers board.

We look forward to seeing you all on the new and improved Fan Forum!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Master Fan

gracias, i´m set now all info saved [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Master Fan

Does this mean any new posts about the finale on Thursday and Friday will be gone this weekend?

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited Zach Braff Lover ]
Old 05-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Extreme Fan

i believe that true. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
The only posts that will be lost will be any posts made Thursday or Friday. Whatever posts that you made and whatever post count that you had on Wednesday in the present software will carry over to the new software.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Master Fan

Well that just sucks! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Can someone keep a copy of the Finale thread and the posts in it so we still have it after the transfer?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Master Fan

I asked Jerry the same question:
Quote:
Originally posted by JennPerry:
<STRONG>I just want to make sure I understand this...you're doing the backup on Wednesday night, so all of my board's discussion of the finale Thursday night and Friday will be lost when we move to the new system on Saturday?</STRONG>
His response:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D:
<STRONG>

Yes. Those posts will remain on the old boards (which will still be available for members to post on and view for a time) but they won't make the switch over to the new boards, as the import will be done Wednesday night. Therefore, you might want to copy the posts from Thursday and Friday over to the new boards once they're up and running, or tell the members to save their posts on their computers (I used to save my Dawson's Creek commentaries as Microsoft Word documents) so they can re-post them on the new boards if they wish.</STRONG>
I will be away from my computer for most of Thursday (the Management team will be keeping a close on the board in my absence). I will be able to post late Thursday night and most of Friday. I have a flight out of here on Friday night to go back East. I will copy whatever we have from the finale thread by 6pm Friday onto my computer and I will repost as soon as I am able on Saturday morning when I get in (about 6am EDT). Please copy anything else you want from the other threads and post as soon as the new boards go up.

I know this is a huge inconvience and I'm so sorry that this is happening around this huge event on our board. I'm doubly sorry that I will be so inaccessible while this is taking place. Let's try to work together to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

OK I have a question. Since our Login name will also be our Displayed name does that mean on the new system that we will lose our other names and not be able to save and use them??
Old 05-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Master Fan

That's correct. You will only have one name, so choose it wisely [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh no!
I love them all and I am so indecicive!
Ok I need help:
BehrItAll or Everyday Angel

Those are the 2 I am torn between.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Jenn for the info. Jen!
Too bad they can't wait until next week to do this.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Master Fan

Well, we've been planning to do this for a while, but we haven't been able to coordinate everyone's schedule. This was the first weekend that worked for all of those involved, so they jumped on it. No matter what weekend/day of the week they chose, someone would have been unhappy, so we just kinda have to roll with it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] At least the chaos isn't on Thursday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Cotton Candy

I know I'm a little late, but thanks for the info, Jenn!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread