Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

General Comments on TOW The Cake (10x04)

On Emma's first birthday, Rachel convinces Monica and Chandler to delay their long-anticipated trip to Vermont to stay for the party but complications ensue when the infant falls asleep and an X-rated birthday cake arrives. Meanwhile, when Ross dashes out to help Rachel, he leaves Joey in charge of keeping everybody locked down in the apartment until they return with the right cake.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Master Fan

I really liked this episode. I thought it was a great use of Judy and Jack, though I wish we could have seen the Greens as well. That would probably be a good episode too, since I don't think we've seen the Greens and the Gellars interact at all.

The cake thing was stupid, but I'm willing to overlook that. I loved the racing wind up toys and Monica not being able to lose. Monica and Chandler's video message to Emma was really funny. Phoebe was great when she was trying to outdo Joey's present on the fly. Joey had a great line too about never being prepared on Days in front of 3 cameras and a crew. I wonder if the writers feel that way about the cast [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I really loved Chandler's elation at teaching Emma that she was 1 year old. Monica and Chandler look so right holding a baby...I hope they come back to that storyline soon. It was nice that Rachel was actually trying to do something for Emma and not herself. It's also interesting to me that Jennifer and David seem be able to turn on and off their onscreen chemistry...they definitely had it on last night [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Overall, I really liked this episode and I was expecting to after the debacle that has been the last few episodes.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Loyal Fan

I missed the first 10 minutes! I read TV Guide and said it was going to be a repeat. I turned it on just to see what was happening and the scenes didn't look familiar. And, alas, it was a new, and very funny looking episode! Thankfully I did catch the racing scenes.
It went out with a Bang!
Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Loyal Fan

I didn't like this episode. So far this season has had really bad writing . . . the episodes just seem so . . . choppy. They don't flow.

The Ross and Rachel "moment" was so stupid. Okay, so they're driving and then Rachel cries and Ross turns an R-rated cake into a bunny one and discovers he has a special new talent. Spare me.

I hate what they've done regarding Joey and Rachel. It's so convenient that they can magically forget about everything that has happened between them. I hate that Joey is dumb again.

Emma taking a nap for the better half of the episode? When it's HER birthday? And apparently she has no little baby friends and Rachel does not know any mothers. That was not even a party.

Rachel was so pathetic. She's such an incapable parent - Emma is missing for most of season 9. But now Rachel has had a turn of heart and is going to try and save all the precious moments in her baby's life? Also - what kind of moron doesn't check the cake after you get it? Seriously, Rachel - wake up and smell the roses!

I didn't like how they made Monica and Chandler seem SO desperate (SP?) that they were going to steal Emma. Like there's no hope for them? The writers seriously need to get their act together. I couldn't even understand the baby that was playing Emma - maybe it's just me, but I don't think she said "one year".

The only funny part of the episode was when Monica, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe were racing wind-up toys. That dog cracked me up! (But what was with Monica's short, short, short skirt?)

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:43 PM
New Fan

Hey everyone. I don't really post a lot. I'm trying to get better though. I just had to stop in and say that I absolutely loved last night's episode. I could not stop laughing during the racing of the wind up toys, especially the flipping dog. LOL! I felt like last night had an even balance of humor and sentimental issues. I loved Joey's reading. I love the episodes focusing on the six friends. Overall I think I'd give the episode an 'A-' My favorite so far from season 10.
bptrackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I didn't like this episode. So far this season has had really bad writing . . . the episodes just seem so . . . choppy. They don't flow.
The Ross and Rachel "moment" was so stupid. Okay, so they're driving and then Rachel cries and Ross turns an R-rated cake into a bunny one and discovers he has a special new talent. Spare me.
I hate what they've done regarding Joey and Rachel. It's so convenient that they can magically forget about everything that has happened between them. I hate that Joey is dumb again.
Emma taking a nap for the better half of the episode? When it's HER birthday? And apparently she has no little baby friends and Rachel does not know any mothers. That was not even a party.
Rachel was so pathetic. She's such an incapable parent - Emma is missing for most of season 9. But now Rachel has had a turn of heart and is going to try and save all the precious moments in her baby's life? Also - what kind of moron doesn't check the cake after you get it? Seriously, Rachel - wake up and smell the roses!
I didn't like how they made Monica and Chandler seem SO desperate (SP?) that they were going to steal Emma. Like there's no hope for them? The writers seriously need to get their act together. I couldn't even understand the baby that was playing Emma - maybe it's just me, but I don't think she said "one year".
The only funny part of the episode was when Monica, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe were racing wind-up toys. That dog cracked me up! (But what was with Monica's short, short, short skirt?)
I am *so* with you on this one! It totally sucked, nothing was funny expect for the cake being a penis. I don't even think the girl who played Emma said "One year old." It was a bunch of gibberish. I hope it gets better.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by - Tina -:
<STRONG>

I am *so* with you on this one! It totally sucked, nothing was funny expect for the cake being a penis. I don't even think the girl who played Emma said "One year old." It was a bunch of gibberish. I hope it gets better.</STRONG>
I think the cake was really stupid. Someone should cuff Rachel over the head until she learns how to be a good parent. And by the way, Rach - it's common sense to check the cake, any cake, after you buy it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So far this season I really hate Rachel. She's just acting so selfish and ditzy and annoying. Wasn't that weekend getaway Monica and Chandler's first wedding anniversery or something? Rachel forced them to stay at her stupid non-party because she was PMSing or something. Geez. Think of anyone other than yourself much, Rach?

What the baby playing Emma said sounded something like "Connea". They could've at least gotten a baby who could actually say it. They milked that moment for all it was worth.

Jack and Judy weren't even that funny. They seemed drained. But the thing I hated most about this episode was how Joey is back to square one - dumb, hot Italian player. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Extreme Fan

I agree about Jack and Judy. They could've had their scenes be so much funnier and better, but nope. Also, Phoebe's song. That wasn't even as funny as I expected it to be.

I like that Joey is back the way he used to be, he's so much funnier.

It's like infinite – it's kinda how I feel about us.
Jake&Peyton. Brooke&Lucas. Bright&Hannah.
Joan&Adam. Ephram&Amy. Clark&Chloe.
glory fades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Loyal Fan

The wind-up toys race was the highlight of an otherwise disappointing last season episode. Although, I did find the 'Ross makes the penis cake into a bunny' scene strangely endearing.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:57 AM
Total Fan

Well I, for one, LOVED this episode. Like has already been said I love an episode that focuses on the 6 of them. Yes, it was a wee bit selfish of Rach to keep everyone from their plans but eh ,whatevah.

I loved the Gellers. Monica and Chandler's messege to Emma was hysterical! I loved that Joey's dramatic interpretation was to "Love You Forever", my friend just raves about that book. I love the Ross and Rach moments. They still have it and David Schwimmer has a Rach voice that just melts.

As for Emma's jibberish. It came out clearer the first time. As is often the case with babies. They get it right the first time and then get excited when whomever is teaching them gets excited and kinda forget what they did but they'll keep attempting to say whatever it is "taught" them because they see the reaction it gets.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Passionate Fan

Yesterday I watched the episode and I liked it a lot. I liked it better than the first 3 episodes of the season. I think it was pretty funny and also very sweet. I especially loved Phoebe's "Now it's a party!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The episode remembered me of the first thanksgiving episode where Rachel wanted to go skiing (I think the others had plans aswell, but I don't remember that exactly) and at the end of the ep they were all together and they were glad about that and it was the only thing that matters. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Master Fan

Bumping to save from puning [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2004, 01:16 PM
New Fan

Responding to this 4 1/2 months late but I LOVED this episode. one of my favorite episodes of all time. Monica and Chandle with Emma was so endearing, the wind up races were a riot, and Phoebe and Joey were both hilarious. another fun ensemble episode, I just loved it!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Loyal Fan

The thing I don't get is how people (I'm thinking J&R fans here, could be wrong) say Rachel and Joey just "magically forgot" their feelings for one each other. We, the audience, don't really know how much time has elapsed since it's not really shown or stated. I mean, it could've been a day (which I doubt), a week or several weeks that have passed between Rachel and Joey's "first date" and Emma's birthday.
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Cotton Candy

I absolutely loved TOW the Cake. It was such a sweet episode. I especially enjoyed watching Monica and Chandler play with Emma.
Reply   Post New Thread