Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Ultimate Fan

Friends 1x03 ~ "TOW The Thumb" ~ Episode Discussion

Friends Episode Discussion

From now on we'll be discussing Friends episodes. Starting with the pilot, we'll make our way thorugh the seasons.

Take the time to rewatch the episode & share your thoughts on it over here. Every episode Thread will be topped for one week

If you do not own all the dvds, you can watch Episode here.

TOW The Thumb
Quote:
Monica is reluctant to allow the group to meet her new boyfriend, Alan, because they tease her about her relationships. Much to Monica's surprise and delight, her friends enjoy Alan, so much so that they begin socializing with him, sometimes without Monica.

Meanwhile, Chandler becomes addicted to cigarettes again while helping Joey rehearse for an acting role that requires smoking. Having suffered Chandler's nicotine withdrawal symptoms three years ago when he first quit smoking, the group becomes angry with Chandler for resuming the dangerous habit.

Later, Phoebe is astounded to discover that the bank accidentally deposited $500 into her account. When she notifies the bank of the error, they deposit another $500 into her account, and Phoebe donates the money to a homeless woman. When the woman buys Phoebe a canned soda with a human thumb inside, the soft drink company gives Phoebe $7,000 in compensation. Phoebe then offers Chandler the money to quit smoking.

Growing uncomfortable with Alan, Monica terminates her relationship with him. Somewhat dismayed, Alan also admits to feeling relieved because he didn't like Monica's friends anyway.
Source

Have Fun!

Last edited by Brucas4life; 05-26-2011 at 08:20 AM
Endless Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this episode! Pheobe was mad at the bank for giving her money and the football phone is classic ...
ღღღ
infallible love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Loyal Fan

A very good episode. So early in the series, it helps understanding some of the characters (especially Phoebe as the oddball of the gang) and establishes the recurring gag of the on-and-off relationship between Chandler and smoking.
I also loved the "Alan" part of the episode, as usual quite realistic although of course slightly exaggerated for humor purposes.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i loved the Alan subplot
Wingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Elite Fan

The Alan subplot was so funny. Everyone so dependant on him, his opinions... and the funniest part, Alan hated them

Phoebe and the thumb was pretty funny too, because we could see more of her personality. Although that changed a lot over the years...

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Loyal Fan

The funniest part was how Phoebe was so mad at the bank for giving her money. :'D.
im a cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Yep - and to compare this with what happens in the last couple of seasons, in which she really values money.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by im a cookie (View Post)
The funniest part was how Phoebe was so mad at the bank for giving her money. :'D.
Totally! i was like "that girl is crazy".
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

I wouldn't mind if my bank would give me extra money

Quote:
Yep - and to compare this with what happens in the last couple of seasons, in which she really values money.
yeah, but to value money that you earned is something completely different than accidentally getting a lot of money for nothing... I can understand phoebe, while I'm not sure if I would've given it back
Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Uhmm... I guess you don't play the lottery much, do you
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

playing lottery is also something different than getting the money by mistake
Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Master Fan

I watched the episode yesterday

Some funny parts in my opinion:

Ross finds out Chi-Chi didn't go to a farm
I think we should date other people means I already am

Rachel messing up all the orders and still thinks she's good at being a waitress

Phoebe and the money was good aswell
Oh great now I have 1000 dollars and a football phone.

Chandler smoking in his office and in Central Perk where he talks about everyone else's annoying habits.

Ross about Alan "If only he were a woman" and Rachel "yeah I know"

Phoebe getting 7000 dollars for a thumb in her soda "what's up with the universe"
Nele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 AM
New Fan

This was a nice episode. I was forget to watch this episode. But than i watch this episode online. I can't line without watch friends. This is one of my favorite shows.

Last edited by Black mamba; 06-16-2009 at 12:57 PM
Rogger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah the Alan was funny I wish they showed Alan interacting with the gang to see why they liked him so much but it was funny how he hated them
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Supreme Fan

i looove this episode.
phoebe is so adorable.

des; lj; icon.
crashintoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread