Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

Discussion: Religion on "Friends"

With half the characters being Jewish, it has been brought up that while Christmas hasn't been made as big a deal as Thanksgiving on the show, it still gets more coverage than Hanukkah. It was also queried why neither Ross or Monica's wedding's had a rabbi present or any of the trappings of a Jewish wedding. I thought I'd give us a thread to discuss these things as well as anything else regarding religion (or the lack thereof) on the show.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh thanks Jenn

Ok so for the longest time while watching Friends I was convinced that Ross and Monica weren't 100% Jewish b/c they never really celebrated Jewish traditions and neither of them had a rabbi officiate their weddings.
For Ross's wedding I guess I can understand more b/c he and Emily planed theirs in one month and they were flying all the way to London. But for Monica and Chanlder, they were interviewing ministers before they chose Joey. I just thought for someone like Monica who has been thinking about her wedding since childhood and also being Jewish she would have also wanted to meet with a rabbi.

As for Hanukkah, I only remember it mentioned in TOW the Hoilday Armamdilo and TOW the Chandler in a Box (when Ross wanted to switch his secret santa b/c he already got Monica a Hanukkah gift).

I don't have any recollection of Rachel mentioning being Jewish even though we know she is.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by BehrItAll
I don't have any recollection of Rachel mentioning being Jewish even though we know she is.
Well, Green is a Jewish last name and she mentioned her "Bubby" in TOW Rachel's Phone Number, so it can be assumed that Rachel is Jewish.

Last edited by Nostalgic Journey; 12-07-2004 at 08:03 PM
Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Extreme Fan

I like how half of the characters are Jewish and half are Christian. Its very realistic, especially considering the diversity of New York City. As for the weddings, I'm not really familiar with the Jewish traditions, but what I have seen/heard about-- there really weren't any of those traditions. I didn't really notice that until now, but maybe its because with Monica and Chandler they may have gone with a more Christian ceremony for Chandler. Actually, chances are, its a continuity mistake but its an interesting point. I like that the religion is there, but it doesn't take over the show.

| videos | journal |
.:Lauren:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Master Fan

I think that each character does have a religious background to show that they are people and they have lives and i think it makes the show more believable.
however i dont think it was meant to be part of the storyline in big way other than for a joke.
Also my whole family is catholic but i am no way religious, im still catholic though (well in my families eyes) So with Ross teaching Ben about his Jewish background, i think Ross was just trying to do what his father did to him when he was younger.

but their religions still aren't consisntant during the whole 10 seasons.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Cotton Candy

Quote:
Originally posted by .:Lauren:.
I like how half of the characters are Jewish and half are Christian.
I liked that also.

Monica and Ross weren't religious or even traditional, so I don't see why either of them would have a rabbi officiating at their weddings. Plus, they both married non-Jews. Perhaps they shouldn't have gotten married in a church though. That was a little farfetched. A civil wedding would have been more realistic.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

Monica and Chandler didnt get married in a church did they?
and isnt the only reason Ross and Emily got married in a church was beacsue it was the place where Emily's parents got married.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Monica and Chandler were married in the hotel, because didn't Rachel go looking around the hotel for other weddings so see if she could find someone to take Joey's place since he was going to be late?

Ross and Emily were married at the church Emily's family was married in.

Quote:
Monica and Ross weren't religious or even traditional, so I don't see why either of them would have a rabbi officiating at their weddings. Plus, they both married non-Jews.
Even if they aren't very religious or traditional usually for a big thing like a wedding I would think a rabbi would be present. But I can see how it makes sense since they both married non- Jews.

I would have liked to seen more Hanukkah and Christmas themed episodes.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Master Fan

Yes, Monica and Chandler got married at a hotel.

I have to agree about the reason that a rabbi wasn't present. I mean, even though Monica and Rachel were both Jewish, they had a Christmas tree in that apartment every year. So neither of them were practicing really.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jenn-
I mean, even though Monica and Rachel were both Jewish, they had a Christmas tree in that apartment every year. So neither of them were practicing really.
I think thats so sad. All over TV you see characters celebrate Christmas and we rarely ever see characters see celebrate Hanukkah. It would have been different and more realistic to see them decorate for Hanukkah. I think the only time I saw a TV show celebrate Hanukkah was on Rugrats
Old 12-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think thats so sad. All over TV you see characters celebrate Christmas and we rarely ever see characters see celebrate Hanukkah. It would have been different and more realistic to see them decorate for Hanukkah. I think the only time I saw a TV show celebrate Hanukkah was on Rugrats
i remeber seeing Hanukkah on the Rugrats! i think thats when i learnt was Hanukkah was!
but it is sad that we never really got to see any of them celebrating Hanukkah. maybe thats why they had the whole storyline with Ross teaching Ben about his herritage in TOW the Holiday Armadilo.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think thats so sad. All over TV you see characters celebrate Christmas and we rarely ever see characters see celebrate Hanukkah. It would have been different and more realistic to see them decorate for Hanukkah.
I completely agree, which is why I really liked TOW The Holiday Armadillo because it kind of reminded us that the Gellers were Jewish and that there are other winter holidays than Christmas. The only Jewish thing that I've seen is Chrismukkah on The OC.

| videos | journal |
.:Lauren:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Cotton Candy

Oh, I didn't realize that Monica and Chandler were married in a hotel. My bad.

I also thought that it was strange that Rachel and Monica had a Christmas tree in their apartment.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Also, when Pheobe had a false alarm that her baby was coming, Monica told Rachel to get "the book", and she got a Bible. Do Jewish people use bibles? Don't they use hargattas or something like that?
"If it’s not real you can’t hold it in your hand. You can’t feel it with your heart, and I won’t believe it."
JoozerLoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Cotton Candy

No, we have Bibles. Actually, our whole religion is based on the Torah (Bible).

What are hargattas?
Reply   Post New Thread