Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Master Fan

Correct their mistakes! You KNOW you want to...

I think there are a fair number of us who are a little less than pleased with the way the show has turned out over the past few years, including myself. So, as is fair whenever critiquing, what would you have done differently? What plots, story arcs, guest stars, jokes, clothing choices would you have given the boot? How would you be shaping the series?

I'll be back with my oh-so-inspiring answers a bit later [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Elite Fan

Okay as far as mistakes go, I noticed that in TOW They All Turn Thirty, if they were all thirty by that episode, that would mean that seven years before, when the first episode aired, they would be between the ages of 23-25(Ross) and Monica clearly states in the season one episode where she dates a high school boy that she is 25 and 13 months old which would make her 26! Anybody else notice that? Also in Season Eight, where Joey should be either 30 or 31, Chandler tells him that he is 32 when he's acting like a child or something. This bothers me cause they are usually really good about continuity.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Well, about the age thing, each season does not necessarily equal a year in Friends time, since the premieres of the next season take place right after the season finales.
Out of the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Elite Fan

Ya know I never thought about that before, you're right!

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Passionate Fan

Yea, you would think that wouldnt you? But, think again! Every year, they have been pretty consistent with holiday episodes... especially the Thanksgiving episodes. So that does mean they messed up with the ages. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They just like to pretend the year is made up of 8 months, instead of 12. especially considering how long Rachel's pregnancy was compared to Phoebe's!

"You wanna know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants, but everytime they showed him coming out of the shower, he would put a towel around his waist. I mean, what's up with that?" - Chandler
DJCreek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think they have been messing up with the ages but as far as plots, story arcs, guest stars, jokes, and clothing choices i think they do great! Besides they always give you a good laugh...But for my 2 cents i think the best episodes are when ross and rachel were together[butim not a R&Rer]ok wait yeah i am! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
you gotta keep your sense of humor.
You gotta be able to smile through all this bull." Tupac
-J.Tim'sBabY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Ok this is silly but I found a mistake with "Friends." My husband and I are big dart players and in Joey's apartment we have noticed through the season's that the dart board keeps changing from one exactly like ours, which is a soft tip board, to a steel tip board. I just thought that was weird and well, funny.

Michelle

SATC
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:48 PM
New Fan

It was a mistake letting Phoebe get so cynical, Monica get so shrewish, and Chandler get so whipped. He used to be the funniest character on the show.

It was a mistake making Joey fall in "love" with Rachel like this is some soap opera.

It's a mistake that they're dragging out R/R will they/won't they ad nauseum.

It's a mistake that they don't take a quick glimpse back at their earlier episodes so that they know how much funnier the writing used to be...
jadedfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DJCreek22:
<STRONG>Yea, you would think that wouldnt you? But, think again! Every year, they have been pretty consistent with holiday episodes... especially the Thanksgiving episodes. So that does mean they messed up with the ages. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They just like to pretend the year is made up of 8 months, instead of 12. especially considering how long Rachel's pregnancy was compared to Phoebe's!</STRONG>
Yeah, Friends time is very confusing [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I wasn't sure if the holiday episodes were always right (because they obviously air at different times here and since they've only mentioned Halloween around 2 times in 9 years), but I do think you're right in that they messed up the ages.

I find it too hard to keep track of their timeline. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As far as critiquing goes, I would be happier if they relied less on gay/fat jokes that sometimes seem offensive. They seemed to love making fun of Fat Monica, and also their repeated references to Chandler being gay has annoyed me (especially as he's the only guy who's been in a serious relationship for so long).

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited Out of the Blue ]
Out of the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Master Fan

Katiebear and Out Of The Blue, I agree whole-heartedly with your assessments!

I think it was a huge mistake to change Ross from the loveable dork who just wanted to be with the girl he had a crush on in high school to the guy who hit on his cousin, won't let go of the "break," and had to fake an accent in front of a room of college students.

I think it was a mistake to throw continuity out the window and write from episode to episode, hoping that people won't remember things like that Phoebe's mom isn't really dead because the woman who killed herself was Phoebe's adopted mom and her real mom lives in Montauk.

I could go on, but I'll stop for tonight [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Absolute Fan

i don't think this classifies as a mistake, but in an episode, ross says that his birthday is october 18...and instead of ross celebrating his birthday in any of the october episodes, phoebe does...i just thought it was kinda funny cuz they didn't give no recognition to ross's birthday at all, except for that one episode when he says when his birthday is.
(as i look back at what i wrote, i suddenly remember that friends time isn't the same as our time...but they do have the holiday episodes at the appropriate times....i don't know...the friends time line confuses me)
MiAjeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Addicted Fan

My main problems have been the continuity factor. I guess I wasn't the only one that noticed how the writers seemed to have forgotten that Phoebe's mom isn't ACTUALLY dead. That was a major development and they just seemed to have forgotten about. Also what happened to Carol and Ben and Susan? We haven't really seen Ben since Rachel got pregnant. Also what happened to Sandy did I miss the one where they fired him? There was something else but I've forgotten it.

Hannah
Once again, William Petersen manages to make it clear that he's putting ironic quotes around a word. He may be the only actor working who's capable of enunciating marks of punctuation; I look forward to the day he stretches as an artist and tries the curly brackets. - Television Without Pity
Admiral Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by J E N N:
<STRONG>I think it was a huge mistake to change Ross from the loveable dork who just wanted to be with the girl he had a crush on in high school to the guy who hit on his cousin, won't let go of the "break," and had to fake an accent in front of a room of college students.</STRONG>

Well, I disagree with you a little on this call, Jenn. I think that 'Ross' character we saw in Season 1 wouldn't have lasted as an enjoyable character very long if he continued to be simply the lovable dork. I think that on varying levels all the characters fulfill this role, and the writers took his character in other directions to give him more comic potential. They needed to broaden the character and show other sides of him as they've managed to do with all the characters. Sure, the Ross we saw in season 1 gave no indications that he was the 'Red Ross' kind of character or one that would dwell on 'the break', but there are things about all of the characters we never saw back then. That we're always seeing new faces of these characters, without (at least in my humble opinion) them getting really out of character or doing things that are totally unbelievable, is a testement to the strength of the show's writing.
Chandler in a box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Total Fan

cool i'll have to go back and look for these.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Passionate Fan

I just noticed this one. On TOW The Rumor (I'm sure every girl here remembers this ep! Two words: Brad Pitt), when Ross was explaining about his past with Mrs. Altman, he was standing in front of a mirror and as you can see there....the red carpet was dis and re-appearing. Watch closely, you'll know what I mean and DON'T just watch the scene with Mr. Aniston in it, girls! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

...Officialy Folked...
*the-kez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread