Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Elite Fan

Liz was actually in more than 2 cancelled shows. I remember she was on a couple of shows that didn't make it past their initial episodes in the 1990's and that was probably the reason why she didn't believe ABC would ever let her on a show as big as Lost. The argument itself is still total bullsht though because most shows don't last for more than a season or two, anyways.

And in defense of Summer Glau, The 4400 lasted for 4 seasons and the ratings for Dollhouse were already in the gutter before she was cast. That goes to show you how stupid some of the online commentors are and I'm not even a fan of hers.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

The whole concept of "cancellation curse" slapped onto an actor is stupid as hell. I can imagine people like Tricia Helfer and Matthew Perry must have heard those comments made about them left and right.

And do you think the people who came up with the meme remembered/knew about stuff like L.A. firefighters? I somehow doubt it. They likely just latched onto Elizabeth having two shows cancelled in a row.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
The whole concept of "cancellation curse" slapped onto an actor is stupid as hell. I can imagine people like Tricia Helfer and Matthew Perry must have heard those comments made about them left and right.
Yeah, sadly, I have seen those sentiments pop up in comment sections about Tricia a couple of times. The funny thing is show cancellations aren't even her main problem. Her main problem is that her pilots usually don't make it to air. Her pilot track record is absolutely woeful.

I think the whole "cancellation curse" meme started with Ted McGinley. I never understood it with him, either because every show he joined ran for several more years after he was cast.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't know that. I can't even remember what else TMcG was in besides Married with children.

And while I'm still off topic - I read something about Tricia being cast in some new show the other day, but I haven't checked out what it is about yet.

I should finish Dolls Behaving Badly and see how the plot and characters develop. I wasn't crazy about the first couple of chapters, but too early to judge, I guess.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I didn't know that. I can't even remember what else TMcG was in besides Married with children.
He was in Happy Days and The Love Boat. Both shows continued for 4 more years after he came on board. He also played the male lead in a comedy called Hope & Faith, which ran for 3 years.

Quote:
I should finish Dolls Behaving Badly and see how the plot and characters develop. I wasn't crazy about the first couple of chapters, but too early to judge, I guess.
Let us know what you think about the book when you have finished it.

Quote:
And while I'm still off topic - I read something about Tricia being cast in some new show the other day, but I haven't checked out what it is about yet.
Yeah, I have heard about it, too. It's another space series. Here's a short synopsis:

Quote:
The premise of Ascension: “In 1963, the U.S. government launched a covert space mission sending hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the starship Ascension to populate a new world. Nearly 50 years into the journey, as they approach the point of no return, the mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship’s population to question the true nature of their mission.”

Source
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Elite Fan

I just saw that the Elsa role on OUAT went to Georgina Haig. I suspect that Liz is taking a sabbatical, but even if she wasn't, I think she probably would have been too old for the part because the show went for 20-something actors for all the Frozen characters (Elsa, her sister and her sister's boyfriend). It's a shame for the fans that it didn't work out, though.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Very late, but thanks for the info about Ascension! The premise gives me some BSG vibes. They'll start filming this summer, right?

And I probably would have never thought of Georgina Haig in relation to Frozen, but... it is a great casting choice. She has the smirk/smile of Elsa down to path, and the big eyes. I saw some posts/tweets but didn't pay much attention because I didn't really care for OUAT and a possible guest appearance - did fans campaign a lot/were very local about Liz as Elsa?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Very late, but thanks for the info about Ascension! The premise gives me some BSG vibes. They'll start filming this summer, right?
I think they may have already started shooting, but I'm not completely sure.

Quote:
And I probably would have never thought of Georgina Haig in relation to Frozen, but... it is a great casting choice. She has the smirk/smile of Elsa down to path, and the big eyes. I saw some posts/tweets but didn't pay much attention because I didn't really care for OUAT and a possible guest appearance - did fans campaign a lot/were very local about Liz as Elsa?
I don't know if there was an official fan campaign going on, but besides the tweets, I also saw a lot of clamoring for Liz in online comment sections. Maggie Grace was another popular choice.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 07-05-2014 at 04:03 AM
Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

I picked up the "Dolls Behaving Badly" book once again. Six chapters in. Still not really feeling the humor, but I have a weird sense of humor anyway and I'm only 1/5 into the book, so let's see if things pick up.
Besides, a lot of things work on screen with the right actor, delivery and timing, while falling flat on page.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Elite Fan

This is random, but I have really been enjoying 'The Affair' on Showtime lately. Watching it, I can't help thinking that Liz would have been a good fit for the show, too - either as the OW or the cheated on spouse. I can only speak for myself, but I think it would have been a refreshing change of pace to see her on a show like this.

Quote:
I picked up the "Dolls Behaving Badly" book once again. Six chapters in. Still not really feeling the humor, but I have a weird sense of humor anyway and I'm only 1/5 into the book, so let's see if things pick up.
Besides, a lot of things work on screen with the right actor, delivery and timing, while falling flat on page.
Keep us updated on your progress with the book, Fran.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 01-07-2015 at 04:54 PM
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
This is random, but I have really been enjoying 'The Affair' on Showtime lately. Watching it, I can't help thinking that Liz would have been a good fit for the show, too - either as the OW or the cheated on spouse. I can only speak for myself, but I think it would have been a refreshing change of pace to see her on a show like this.
I haven't watched the show yet, but it's on my to-do list - I got curious about it when I heard that they had cast Ruth Wilson. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get around to check it out, but I agree that the theme and tone of the show might be a nice change of pace for Elizabeth.

Is it a mini-series or it will have several seasons?
Quote:
Keep us updated on your progress with the book, Fran.
I did finish the book... but it's been a while and I've already forgotten a lot about it.
Overall, I confirm the first impressions - it wasn't as entertaining as I was hoping, but it did have its moments, parts that felt fresh and honest. In others, the story and humor hit some forced notes.
Also, the ending was a bit too... wrapped-up-in-a-bow like for my tastes, I think.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I haven't watched the show yet, but it's on my to-do list - I got curious about it when I heard that they had cast Ruth Wilson. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get around to check it out, but I agree that the theme and tone of the show might be a nice change of pace for Elizabeth.

Is it a mini-series or it will have several seasons?
Several. It's already been renewed for a second season. I would like to see Liz on the show, but it's kind of hard to come up with a viable role for her, now. She's too old to play a potential love interest for Joshua Jackson and most of the relative roles have already been filled. I could picture her in the role of Helen's (Maura Tierney) supportive best friend, though.

Quote:
I did finish the book... but it's been a while and I've already forgotten a lot about it.
Overall, I confirm the first impressions - it wasn't as entertaining as I was hoping, but it did have its moments, parts that felt fresh and honest. In others, the story and humor hit some forced notes.
Also, the ending was a bit too... wrapped-up-in-a-bow like for my tastes, I think.
Thanks for the update. That's a bit of a shame, but movie adaptions aren't necessarily known for sticking to the source material too closely, so there's always a chance for things that don't work too well on paper to get changed.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Several. It's already been renewed for a second season. I would like to see Liz on the show, but it's kind of hard to come up with a viable role for her, now. She's too old to play a potential love interest for Joshua Jackson and most of the relative roles have already been filled. I could picture her in the role of Helen's (Maura Tierney) supportive best friend, though.
Thanks for the info. I like the best friend idea. What about a direct link to Dominic West's character, though? He is about ten years older than Joshua.
Quote:
Thanks for the update. That's a bit of a shame, but movie adaptions aren't necessarily known for sticking to the source material too closely, so there's always a chance for things that don't work too well on paper to get changed.
True. Some things were a bit too cutesy/sappy for my tastes, but I have a black heart.
It would be nice to hear some update on how things are going for Liz with the project, but I doubt we'll get new interviews or sound bites any time soon.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I like the best friend idea. What about a direct link to Dominic West's character, though? He is about ten years older than Joshua.
I don't think that's an option in light of the way the first season ended. Dominic's character Noah cheats on his wife Helen with Allison, a married waitress from Montauk (Allison is married to Joshua Jackson's Cole). In the season finale, it's revealed that Noah and Allison are together in the future. Any potential new love interest for Dominic would have to enter the picture once Noah and Allison's relationship starts to derail and we may be a couple of seasons away from that happening - assuming that it ever happens at all.

Quote:
It would be nice to hear some update on how things are going for Liz with the project, but I doubt we'll get new interviews or sound bites any time soon.
Maybe Liz will say something about it at one of her upcoming con appearances.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the plot explanation! That option is out, then.
Ruth Wilson seems to be getting a lot of buzz for her role in the show - is hers the strongest performance in the cast, in your opinion?
Quote:
Maybe Liz will say something about it at one of her upcoming con appearances.
Fingers crossed! At cons there are always big fans of the guests attending so I bet someone with our same curiosity might be there to bring the topic up. I trust them to ask the right questions more than journalists, sometimes.

I haven't checked out Agent Carter yet, but I was thinking that this might be my chance to see Liz in the Marvel universe, so I'd take it.
It can't be campier than OUAT, after all.
The only downside would be that being set in the past, it would kill our chances to ever see Liz in one of the big movies.