Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Revolution - Patriot Games (2x04) - Episode Discussion

Patriot Games

Episode Description

WOUNDS HEAL, WHILE NEW BONDS FORM - Monroe (David Lyons) and Charlie's (Tracy Spiridakos) dynamic begin to evolve. Meanwhile, wounds of Miles (Billy Burke) and Rachel (Elizabeth Mitchell) begin to heal, yet her curiosity and heightened awareness could be her undoing. Neville’s (Giancarlo Espositio) manipulation of Patriot power brokers makes Machiavelli look like a cherub and Aaron’s (Zak Orth) mind works overtime awake or asleep with mind-blowing effectiveness. Rachel and Miles begin planning a resistance to what they believe might be the Patriot occupation.

Also starring JD Pardo, Stephen Collins, Nicole Ari Parker, Jessica Collins, Jason Douglas, Richard T. Jones, Steven Culp, Matt Ross and Damon Carney.
(source)

Promos

Promo 1 (00:30)

Sneak Peeks

-

Promotional Photos

You can check out the rest of the promo pics for this episode here.

Ratings

Reviews

____
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for opening this thread, Fran.

I take it there are no sneak peeks for this episode either. Is NBC this cheap with it's other shows too?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Elite Fan

Some quick throughts on the episode:

- Just when I was starting to appreciate the friendship between Rachel and Ken, he turns out to be evil and tries to kill her. Crazy spec of the day: Could Rachel's dad be a member of the Patriots too? He keeps on trying to make her think she's crazy. As if he's trying to lure her off their scent.

- I would say this was a great episode for Rachel. She was right about the Patriots and my guess is she will be co-leading the resistance against them. This should be the start of her redemption arc. And she proved once again that she can take care of herself. Her quick recovery from her serious injuries was stretching the boundaries of believability big time, though.

- The Patriots are really dumb when it comes to Neville.

- Monroe continues to be severely underused, but I did like his scenes with Charlie. This is all kinds of random, but I would love to see David Lyons in a gritty, sexy cable drama. What a treat to watch that would be.

- We have discussed the excessive violence on the show before, but I don't think it has ever been as excessive as it was last night. Almost every plot threat lead to an OTT murder or fight scene. As well executed as those are, I wish the show would tone it down a bit.

- Did the highly publicized Rachel/Miles kiss get cut? I was totally prepared for it to happen in the first part of the show, but it never came. And now they have changed clothes ...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Elite Fan

i haven't got round to seeing the ep yet, hopefully I will be able to watch it tonight!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
- Just when I was starting to appreciate the friendship between Rachel and Ken, he turns out to be evil and tries to kill her. Crazy spec of the day: Could Rachel's dad be a member of the Patriots too? He keeps on trying to make her think she's crazy. As if he's trying to lure her off their scent.
I've read theories about that too. I started out really liking Gene, and I'd feel terrible if he turned out to be one of them. They already can't trust so many people. He's one of the few that I feel really cares for Rachel. But I can see...if they need to kill off some of the minor characters...make Rachel more desperate (AKA send her in the arms of Miles again), this Gene turning out to be a Patriot member might actually come true.

Quote:
- Did the highly publicized Rachel/Miles kiss get cut? I was totally prepared for it to happen in the first part of the show, but it never came. And now they have changed clothes ...
I wish.

Here's a review that I posted on the other forum.

Quote:
Looking for Redemption – A Revolution Review
Tonight, Revolution pulled it off again. I can’t remember a show in recent memory that has been able to keep me so engulfed in all its aspects as this one. So, let’s get to it… Revolution Episode 2×04 “Patriot Games”.

Recap:

Rachel: She survives the arrow, and after waking from her 3 day nap, immediately seeks out Miles. After filling her in on the Patriot’s presence, Miles pleads with her to sit tight while he does a little digging. Does Rachel listen, of course not. She goes snooping in Edward Truman’s office, head Patriot of the Willoughby division and gets caught. There is a really great scene between Rachel and Gene where he begs her to lay off and let someone else fight this fight. When she can’t let it go, she ends up confiding in the wrong person and gets lured into a trap. Being as kick ass as she is, Rachel gets herself free and rids Willoughby of the traitor. Nope, not gonna tell who it is, going to have to watch it and find out for yourself!

Miles: After leaving Rachel, he gets an earful about the Patriots, Titus Andover and the demented group of “boys” he fathered (yuck). After entering Titus’ old office, Miles encounters the lunatic there and they have an exchange which ends up giving Titus a knife to the gut. Not too much of Miles this episode, but what there was, was pretty awesome. Before dying though, Titus mentions a train yard. Miles ends up finding the place and gets caught. Just when you think his butt is cooked, he gets a little assistance from… (yup, again… going to have to see that one for yourself!)

Aaron: Oh, my poor Aaron. Only a few Aaron scenes tonight, but, again, what there was, was worth it. So while watching the Trick or Treaters (cause apparently even the apocalypse doesn’t stop Halloween), Aaron gets light headed and passes out. While out cold, he has a Google Earth type dream of Miles checking out Titus’ camp. Later on the epi, as Aaron and Cynthia lay in bed and she watches him with “creepy eyes” sleep, he has another, um, dream(?) in which he is able to help out a friend. Seems like those nanites/fire flies are coming in handy for him.

Charlie/Monroe: After getting drugged by some gross guys in a bar, Charlie tries to fend them off, but when her backs in a corner Monroe swoops in for the rescue. Once she comes too, old habits die hard and bam, she tries to kill him. Unsuccessful, Monroe somehow convinces her that the Patriots are only going to be defeated in numbers, and their best bet is to reunite with the rest of the Matheson clan.

Neville: Tom, Tom, Tom… always with the plan. Deciding that his work with the Patriots isn’t moving along fast enough, he figures out a way to rid himself of his “supervisor”. Pretty clever too. When he gets the answers he wants, he disposes of the guy and takes his place.

Review – “Looking for Redemption”

What I love most about the writing and pacing of this show is that I am never bored. Each storyline has its intrigue, each character is so great and flawed, that even some of those you once thought of as villains, have more depth than the deepest ocean caverns. There was a scene where Charlie was chastising Monroe, beating him down with all the things that he was, but the look on Monroe’s face said more than the man himself could ever say. Of course, we know more about Monroe’s life and losses than Charlie does so we are able to pick up on the hurt and desperation on his face when she tells him, “you’re a sociopath, you say what you need to get what you want. Behind the mask your cold and empty… and a killer. That’s all.”

Talking about redemption, let’s talk about Rachel for a minute. When Gene was pleading with her to let someone else fight the Patriots, asking her why she felt the need to take it on herself, I thought, ‘Well Dr. Porter, I have an answer for you…’ This whole thing started because of Rachel. Back in the long, long ago, it was she and Ben and their team that took Aaron’s work and did whatever they did, creating the technology that killed the power around the world. Because of that, this string of events took place leading to Danny’s death, two major cities wiped out with countless lives lost. Of course Rachel was unstable when she returned to Willoughby. Now that she seems fairly functional, albeit a little jumpy, I really think she feels the need to make amends for her role in it all.

Another solid, interesting, fun, crazy, bloody episode. Just keep ‘em coming guys! The next new episode of Revolution 2.05 “One Riot, One Ranger” stars the wonderful Jim Beaver [yay!!] and will air on Wednesday, October 23 at 8/7C on NBC.

Looking for Redemption - A Revolution Review
Can I take the fact that this review is on the nbc site means the writers actually know how we feel about the balance of this show? It gives me hope that maybe they're not seeing things as black-and-white as I thought.

Or else, it's just this particular reviewer that feels this way.

ETA: Never mind. It doesn't seem to be the official site. =(
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiots (View Post)
I've read theories about that too. I started out really liking Gene, and I'd feel terrible if he turned out to be one of them. They already can't trust so many people. He's one of the few that I feel really cares for Rachel. But I can see...if they need to kill off some of the minor characters...make Rachel more desperate (AKA send her in the arms of Miles again), this Gene turning out to be a Patriot member might actually come true.
Also, Gene doesn't like Miles and doesn't approve of Miles/Rachel. That could already be reason enough for the writers to make him evil.

Quote:
Yeah, that looks like a fansite to me.

Preliminary ratings are out:

Quote:
8:00 NBC Revolution 5.39 million viewers (18-49: 1.4/4)

Source
And the half hour numbers:

Quote:
8:00 p.m.

NBC – Revolution
Viewers: 5.61 million (#4), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#4)

———-

8:30 p.m.

NBC – Revolution
Viewers: 5.16 million (#4), A18-49: 1.4/ 4 (#4)

Source
I think it should get adjusted up in the finals.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I haven't watched the episode yet. Hopefully I'll catch up either tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanks for the ratings. I hope the preliminary numbers are adjusted up, indeed, otherwise it will be a new series low.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Elite Fan

Final ratings are out. Sadly, no adjustments:

Quote:
8:00 NBC Revolution 5.42 million viewers (18-49: 1.4/4)

Source
Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ouchie. Do you think it's more a case of viewers simply having given up on the show or the new time slot might play a relevant part?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
Ouchie. Do you think it's more a case of viewers simply having given up on the show or the new time slot might play a relevant part?
Good question. I don't think Revolution is suitable for the 8PM hour, but I am also not a 100% convinced that it would do much better in a later timeslot. Sure, there will be some people that will watch it at 10PM and not at 8PM, but at the same time, there will probably also be some people who won't be able to watch it at 10PM anymore because they have to get up early the next day. And the 8PM hour has the added benefit of same-day-DVR-playback. 10PM shows don't benefit from it as much. But obviously, it wouldn't hurt to try a timeslot change.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 10-17-2013 at 04:38 PM
Old 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
And the 8PM hour has the added benefit of same-day-DVR-playback. 10PM shows don't benefit from it as much.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

You're probably right - at this point, a change of schedule won't make much of a difference. But if the ratings go down some more, NBC might try that, too, when the show comes back from the hiatus.

I haven't kept up with ratings/bubble watch discussion so I don't know what the predictions for Revolution are. But surely not very optimistic.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
If you watch a show on DVR until 3AM at night, it gets counted to the live ratings. From what I've heard, the 10PM hour is generally the hour with the greatest DVR usage on the night. You move a show from the 8PM to the 10PM slot, the DVR-window shortens by 2 hours.

Quote:
You're probably right - at this point, a change of schedule won't make much of a difference. But if the ratings go down some more, NBC might try that, too, when the show comes back from the hiatus.
It seems NBC is going to keep tRevolution in it's current timeslot for it's fall run. Do you think they could pair it up with the other JJ Abrams (Believe) show come spring?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
If you watch a show on DVR until 3AM at night, it gets counted to the live ratings. From what I've heard, the 10PM hour is generally the hour with the greatest DVR usage on the night. You move a show from the 8PM to the 10PM slot, the DVR-window shortens by 2 hours.
Thanks again. I rarely remember to pay attention to that kind of data.
Quote:
It seems NBC is going to keep tRevolution in it's current timeslot for it's fall run. Do you think they could pair it up with the other JJ Abrams (Believe) show come spring?
They could and it might be a nice idea, but no idea if they will. Surely a better partner than L&O.

Some extra pics and BTS images from the episode from the NBC website, just because:

Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Awww. The last picture of David and Tracy is very cute. I'd do the same thing, if I was in her place. Just try to touch him. He's so adorable!

I loved this episode. Best of the season so far, IMHO.

Liz was wonderful.

Lots of Rachel. Rachel away from Miles and being badass. Tom being badass. Bass being badass. Parallels between Rachel and Bass. And a good insight into Rachel's personality.

I'm very easy to please. That's all I need to be happy with Revolution.

It's incredible how Rachel is so much better and cooler when she's away from Miles doing her own thing and when the story is about Rachel's very own issues instead of her love for Miles.

That conversation between Gene and Rachel was so beautiful and genuine. I will be very disappointed if Gene turns out to be a Patriot. He's family. So please, don't go there, writers.

I think Gene has no idea Rachel is involved with the blackout. If he knew it, he would understand why Rachel is so desperate to fix things and wants the fight against these Patriots to be her fight. I want it to be HER fight too.

Ken being a Patriot was disappointing because their friendship was nice. But the worse thing was when Ken said he had a crush on Rachel. This was unnecessary. Makes it hard to believe this episode was written by a woman. Dear female writer, I appreciate very much that you kept Rachel away from Miles. Even if it's only during one episode. But you should know that a woman and a man can be friends without being sexually attracted to each other.

It's heartbreaking to see it, but I'm not surprised with Rachel cutting her wrist. It's not the first time she tried to kill herself. There's a part of Rachel that wants to die or thinks she deserves to die. The first time she wanted to kill herself, she wanted to take someone else with her too. I believe Rachel sees herself as a murderer, just like Bass. So she thinks she deserves to die as much as him. Rachel cutting her wrist just reinforces this way of thinking. It's her guilt that makes her suicidal.

It would be interesting if the Patriots want Rachel so they can blame her for the blackout. That would be a way to go back to this part of her story. Which is being ignored and it is annoying me. It would be interesting to see people against Rachel. She blames Bass for Danny's death, but lots of sons died because of the blackout. She has lots of blood on her hands too. So yeah, it would be interesting to see Rachel dealing with that.

The Patriots probably want Rachel because of what she can do anyway. They know she is highly intelligent and they think she can turn the power on. Also, she knows Randall and knows about the D.o.D. being behind the blackout. Rachel is golden for them.

I thought the parallel between Rachel and Charlie being out was cool. And the edit going from Charlie's eyes to Rachel's eyes in the beginning of the episode was really cool. For a brief moment I thought it was Tracy opening her eyes, but it was Liz.

I'm sorry, but you come out of nowhere, you call yourself the United States. I'm curious. We all are.

Rachel, please never change! You have to forgive Bass though. Because...

I know I can't never make it up, but I've got to try.

He's just like you. This quote is you, Rachel.

Loved seeing Bass saving Charlie once again. And I love that she totally doesn't care that he saved her twice and she keeps on hating him. I don't think Bass is a sociopath though. I mean, if he is, your mom is too, Charlie. He has an unstable mind. But I believe he's genuinely feeling guilty and genuinely wants to help.

And Charlie, honey, Bass was a marine. He's going to find you.

By the way, no one can fight better than Bass. That's a fact. He definitely can be very helpful.

I wonder the same thing as Charlie. How can Bass David make his eyes water so easily. Liz does the same thing very easily too. In this episode, it happened when Rachel was talking with Gene. I love their puppy eyes, anyway.

So it's 4 episodes now and I still have no idea what Ausiello was talking about. The "uncomfortable" thing between Bass and Charlie in close confines.

I also liked to see parallels between Tom and Rachel. But Tom's molar. This is something that wasn't necessary to be shown. Really.

Have no idea what's going on with Aaron. If it is the nano-fireflies controlling his mind or his mind controlling the nano-fireflies. I had the feeling that it was Aaron seeing the fire (the torch) that started everything. Anyway, for me, this storyline is not interesting. I'm just going to pretend Aaron is "warging" the nano-fireflies. It is a little bit similar to the Wargs in Game of Thrones. It's not even 1% as cool as the Wargs though.

Poor Titus. Yes, I was rooting for him instead of Miles.

When I thought the episode was going to end with Miles being all protective of Rachel. I was starting to roll my eyes. It ends with Bass and Charlie. I love that he doesn't look back at her. He looks at the Willoughby road sign.

Bass is so close to Rachel and I should be excited, but I'm not. I'm sure Miles and Charlie will block all the good things from happening.

I wrote a lot. But I really loved this episode.

I didn't like the first. Really liked the second. Hated the third. And loved the fourth. To keep things consistent, I'm prepared to not enjoy the fifth. I hope I will enjoy it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiots (View Post)
The official website only does recaps instead of reviews.

And according to the recap...

Monroe needs Charlie to take him to her mother, but Charlie is immune to his appeals.

Yes, they don't mention Miles. If only that's what he wanted the most. If only it didn't have anything to do with Miles.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
So it's 4 episodes now and I still have no idea what Ausiello was talking about. The "uncomfortable" thing between Bass and Charlie in close confines.
Members of the press like Ausiello sometimes receive advanced copies of the episodes for early review. Those screeners are unfished versions of the episodes that we see on TV, so it's possible that the scene he was referring to didn't make the final cut.