Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Revolution - The Longest Day (1x17) - Episode Discussion

THE LONGEST DAY

Episode Description

AS ACTION HEIGHTENS, SO DOES ROMANCE AMONG THE CORE REBELS - Romantic connections heat up between two couples -- Miles (Billy Burke) and Nora (Daniella Alonso) and Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) and Jason (JD Pardo) -- but disastrous drone strikes from the Militia threaten them all. An assassination attempt on Monroe (David Lyons) heightens his paranoia and Georgia Federation President Foster (guest star Leslie Hope) contemplates surrender. Meanwhile, Rachel (Elizabeth Mitchell) and Aaron (Zak Orth) push through the Plains Nation into Colorado.

Also starting Giancarlo Esposito, Mark Pellegrino.
(source)

Promos

Promo 1 (00:29)

Sneak Peeks

Jason and Neville (01:15)
Jason, Charlie, Neville, Miles, Nora (00:50)

Promotional Photos

You can check out the rest of the promo pics for this episode here.

Ratings

Reviews

____
Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Elite Fan

Preliminary ratings are out:

Quote:
10:00PM NBC Revolution 5.72 million viewers (18-49: 1.9/5)

Source
Half hour numbers:

Quote:
10:00 p.m.

NBC – Revolution
Viewers: 6.47 million (#3), A18-49: 2.2/ 6 (#1t)

———-

10:30 p.m.

NBC – Revolution
Viewers: 4.98 million (#3), A18-49: 1.7/ 3 (#3)

Source
It will probably get adjusted down to a 1.8 in the finals.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is the ratings trend so far (million viewers x 18-49 age range):

11.65m (4.1)
9.21m (3.4)
8.317m (3.2)
8.01m (3.0)
8.61m (3.3)
7.90m (3.0)
7.34m (2.8)
7.10m (2.6)
7.020m (2.6)
8.538m (2.9)
7.03m (2.6)
6.36m (2.2)
6.07m (2.2)
5.88m (2.0)
5.49m (1.8)
6.06m (2.0)

Besides 3 bumps up, each one every 5 episodes or so, the show has been going consistently down. It only managed to stay steady from week-to-week twice.
If things stay like this, the season could end on a 1.6.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

I think the ratings should tick up for the last couple of episodes because Revolution will be airing without competition, but I think the show's ratings will be consistently down into the 1's by spring 2014 at the latest.

ETA:

Final ratings are out. Surprisingly, no adjustments this time:

Quote:
10:00PM NBC Revolution 5.51 million viewers (18-49: 1.9/5)

Source

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 05-14-2013 at 02:26 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Elite Fan

A couple of quick notes about this episode from me as far as I can remember it (Revolution episodes are always such a big blur to me ):

- I thought Liz did a good job with the material this week and it was nice to see Giancarlo Esposito and David Lyons get more to do than usual. Nora also got more facetime this week, but like always, it was all about her relationship with Miles. *sigh*

- It was very convenient that Rachel and Aaron somehow found a storage room full of computer tech and that the equipment was still fully functional after 15 years. I'm gonna cast a veil of silence over the technological aspects of it all.

- I'm gonna refrain from commenting on Miles because I find the character more and more off-putting, but I thought Billy Burke gave one of his best performances on the show yet in the flashbacks. They should have kept him in the Monroe role because he seems to be better at playing bad guys.

- I think the show has more or less negated it's original premise by now. Early on, characters were dying from a botched artery due to the lack of tech, now we got magic-nanites healing broken legs in an instant. Characters also had to use swords and muskets in fights because of the scarcity of bullets, now they are having fire exchanges with high-tech guns every week and Monroe is throwing around with nukes and missiles. I'm surprised we haven't seen a tank or fighter jet show up on the show yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Extreme Fan

This is going to be longer than usual because of Rachel and how she behaved in this episode.

If I got things right, the episode was about caring for something. The episode shows that Tom cares about Jason and Jason cares about Charlie and Charlie cares about Jason and Nora cares about Miles and Miles cares about Charlie and Aaron cares about helping people and the President cares about her people. But Bass and Rachel just care about revenge.

Yes. I think they put Rachel on the same level as Bass in this episode that I'm wondering if they're ever going to be redeemed. I hope they will.

All this time I was thinking Rachel was feeling guilty and actually wanted to fix what she has done and even die for it. I'm feeling as dumb as Aaron. I don't want to believe the only reason she wants to turn the power back on is revenge.

It's hard to believe because of some things she said before. Obviously she wants to kill Bass the same way she wanted to kill Tom to honor Danny, so that's not a surprise. And she only decided to go to the Tower after she finds out Randall/Bass have a bomb, so she wants to give power to everyone to make it a fair fight. So it's not a surprise either that she thinks that giving power to the enemies will elevate the chances of Bass being defeated.

But Rachel also told Jane they killed too many people and that she wouldn't try to save Danny again because she would hate herself, which implies she doesn't like the consequences of what she's done and is feeling bad because of it. Same thing when she says to Aaron that they ended the world. She had a regret look on her face. So I think she's really feeling remorse.

And not just about that. She thinks it was a mistake to leave her family. She told Charlie about it when they were reunited in the jail. She thinks Danny's death was related to her being a bad mother and not protecting him enough. And it all happened because of the blackout. So even if she can't bring Danny back and can't go back in time, I'd imagine that going to the Tower to try to turn the power back on would be a way to try to rebuild what she destroyed for her and for others too.

Even though that's completely understandable considering she watched her son being shot to death by the militia, making it just about revenge is too simplistic. I think Rachel already paid a lot for causing the blackout. She lost Danny, Ben and spent 8 years being a prisoner and suffering abuse. But given the huge consequences of her actions, it would be better if it's just more than revenge. Also because obviously there is more going on inside her mind. Well, I won't like if that's really just about revenge. I'd like to see Rachel trying to redeem herself.

Very noble of Aaron to try to help the kid, but I understand Rachel on this one. These people were armed and basically kidnapped them. Considering the capsule isn't 100% certain and can cook people, what would happen if it doesn't work and the kid ends up fried? Chances are they wouldn't get out alive. Obviously this capsule works because it worked with Danny and now it worked with Rachel. But that's still dangerous. Would they let them go if the kid is cured? Would they let them cut the boy to remove the capsule? What if they spread the news, so Rachel and Aaron would have to cure more people. It could become a mess. However, I think if Charlie was with them, Rachel probably would think twice about it. I'd like to believe she's not willingly letting a kid die, it's the circumstances that can be complicated. She once destroyed the pendants because it's another chopper, it's another kid dead if Bass has power. But it was terrible to give false hope to the boy. Terrible. Don't ever do this again, Rachel!

Rachel was very harsh with Aaron, but maybe she's being manipulative because she wanted him to let go of the "let's help the kid" idea and she knows he won't leave her. She really doesn't know why he's in the book, so maybe she really doesn't care.

So Miles wanted Ben instead of Rachel. The "I came, like you asked" became just "I came". I see what you did here, writers. Anyway, I knew the reason why Rachel gave herself up to the militia wouldn't convince me. She did it to protect her family from the militia, which is understandable. But you get the feeling that wasn't really necessary, that she could just run away with them and spend their lives hiding from the militia. Not the best life, but she would still be with her family and away from a prison. She considers it a mistake anyway and maybe that's the point. She genuinely thought it would help and even though she knew the militia wanted Ben more than her she didn't imagine it would lead to his death and Danny's death. But I think it is relevant to know that she spent all those years without letting them having access to power because she didn't want them to kill more people. That she was trying to avoid the world to become a worse place than it has become.

What's up with Miles not believing she knew about the power as much as Ben? I thought he would know her occupation. I know this thing with the D.o.D was top secret, but as a member of the family, he would naturally know that she's an engineer. Or maybe they're really algebra teachers and the project was a hidden thing? I remember that after the blackout Ben went to a university to get some stuff from his work. Bass also asked what's Ben real occupation. Anyway, I got the feeling Miles was doubting her ability. Well, Bass never did it.

Miles allowing Rachel being tortured to get information out of her was something that I expected to see. I just didn't expect Miles himself would torture her. And he also grabbed her neck and he almost punched her for no big reason, just because she provoked him, but she was clearly lying. I don't think she really means it when she says she regrets what she had with him. Well, Miles doesn't have the excuse to be mentally disturbed or paranoid like Bass. Don't know how he had the nerve to ask Rachel if Bass hurt her. Actually Bass only grabbed her neck because she tried to hurt him with a pen. In my mind, that was self defense. Obviously then he used it to his advantage to threaten her. And he didn't torture her by himself. Of course he put the worst man of all to torture Rachel. But he didn't do it by himself and he didn't even watch it. In my mind that's because it was too much for him. It's similar to Jeremy's execution. He needs to get out of the room. Both Rachel and Jeremy were friends. Anyway, I like that Rachel is not afraid of Miles or Bass or anyone really. She breaks down when it involves her kids obviously, but she's never afraid.

What surprised me in this relationship between Rachel and Miles is that it looks like he didn't abandon her. It's the contrary. Rachel is the one that didn't want to continue. Well, I like it. Too bad it's not like this in the present. So they had a fling when they were kids. Does it mean it was before Emma? She told the kid that tried to impress the girl she knew a boy just like him. I think she's talking about Miles. So I guess it was before Emma. And after too. I don't care, really. But I like to think that they all grew up together in this little town and Rachel knows Emma and she knows about her relationship with Bass and that she got pregnant and she knows where's the son. So it becomes an excuse to make Rachel and Bass meet each other again.

Still can't believe that Bass told his men to kill Jeremy. Of all the people. The only person inside the militia that cared about him. I understand why he started to think Jeremy was involved on the shooting. It really sounded like he was. But he could have waited until they had found the shooter to know exactly what happened. He's going into complete paranoia. I hope it's not too late for him to get out of it because it's impossible to not sympathize with those eyes in tears after he finds out his huge mistake.

Now he has Nora! Who knows what he's going to do with her. Do not like to think about it. I just want Bass to give up on the Monroe Republic and wander across the country to find his son. I mean, it's not like he's going to order his men to find him. He doesn't trust anyone. Besides I can't see him talking about it with any of his men because it's very private. I would like if the Monroe Republic is actually defeated in this war and Bass has to run away for the first time.

Jeremy said Miles was loyal to Bass until he pushed him away. Oh, I'm pretty sure he was playing the butcher role in loyalty to Bass. Jeremy's right about Tom anyway.

Really liked to watch Tom saying to Jason that he won't let his son to die and that's where he draws the line. That's always very obvious, but it's nice seeing him actually saying it.

Liked the bear hug Charlie gave on Miles too. Can't resist bear hugs. Unfortunately now I'm sure Miles is her father. After this episode, I'm starting to think that's one of the reasons Rachel gave herself up to the militia. It wasn't just about protecting her family. I think she wanted to tell Miles about Charlie. She said she had been thinking about a lot of things.

Are they foreshadowing Nora's death when Nora said in the end of this war she or Miles will end up seeing the other one die? I guess Miles is going to see Nora dying, unfortunately.

What Miles did with the pendant used for the nuke? If he didn't get rid of it, I think that's the mole. As if Bass wouldn't figure out where their rebel base is anyway with all those drones.

Rachel's broken leg was cured by the nanites, but it looks like it was the capsule itself that cured her leg. I don't think that's the case. Otherwise it wouldn't be necessary to keep the power off for the nanites to work on Danny and the woman with cancer. I think the capsule acts like a trigger for the nanorobots people breath in and the nanorobots that are already inside the human body. It is programmed to command the nanites on what they have to do. Every time it is reprogrammed, it changes the function of the nanites. I also wonder if they can keep the power off selectively because that was the initial purpose of the weapon they created. Obviously it didn't work. But if somehow they can find a way to do it, I wish Rachel thinks about the woman with cancer and offers a solution to Jane. But since Randall doesn't want to bring back the power, I'm not sure if Rachel will actually do it.