Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 03:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

I genuinely thought Zoo was the kind of dead on arrival show. I stand proved wrong, gladly!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 AM
Elite Fan

Eric Kripke is currently in the news and not in a good way:

Quote:
‘Timeless’ Creators Shawn Ryan & Eric Kripke Sued Over “Ripped Off” Format

A Spanish company is suing Sony, NBCUniversal and Timeless creators Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke, claiming that they pilfered the idea for NBC’s new time-travel drama. Onza Entertainment claims the series was “ripped off” from its copyrighted format El Ministerio del Tiempo (The Department of Time), for which the company says it was in negotiations with Sony to produce an American version.

The suit says the Spanish format “relates to the adventures of a three-person government team (consisting of one woman and two men) traveling through time to thwart undesired changes to past events.” NBC’s series stars Matt Lanter, Abigail Spencer and Malcolm Barrett as, per the logline, “an unexpected team — a scientist, soldier and history professor — who must use the machine’s prototype to travel back in time to critical events.” The Peacock’s series premieres October 3.

Sony and NBC told Deadline they don’t comment on pending litigation. Word is that the studio was aware of the lawsuit but had not seen it.

The 19-page lawsuit, filed today in U.S. District Court for Central California (read it here), claims that Onza principal Gonzalo Sagardia took the format to MIP-TV in April 2015. It says that Onza execs met there with Gersh partner and head of TV lit Roy Ashton for help in getting an American version of The Department of Time off the ground. The suit says Sagardia gave Ashton a DVD of his show “on the understanding that (a) if Ashton liked the Original Series, he and Gersh would use their United States contacts to assist Onza in putting together a deal for Onza’s development and exhibition of an American Version, and (b) [the DVD] would be used for no other purposes whatsoever. In particular, Ashton mentioned that the American television writers/producers Ben Edlund and [Kripke] … might be perfect as showrunners for Onza’s American Version.”

Onza then hired reps to negotiate for an American version of the format, the suit claims, and they had “several email communications” with Ashton. The suit claims the Gersh partner “specifically informed Sagardia that Ashton knew that Ben Edlund had discussed the Original Series with [Kripke].” Talks went into late-July 2015, when Sony agreed to produce the show and gave terms including an 18-month option.

The suit cites an August 2015 Deadline report that NBC had bought a project, then titled Time, from Kripke and Ryan — both of whom were under overall deals with Sony — with a pilot production commitment. Sony and John Davis’ studio-based Davis Entertainment were set to produce.

“According to the Deadline Release,” the suit says, “[Kripke] and Davis ‘reached out’ to Ryan, who was also working at Sony, and “within weeks crafted [stole] the storyline and characters for Time” (emphasis added). Obviously, it does not take a lot of time to put together a ‘new’ and creative product ripped off from someone else. Oddly, at the moment of the August 26, 2015 publication of the Deadline Release, Sony abruptly and without any warning terminated all negotiations relative to Onza’s American Version.” Time was picked up to pilot in January and landed a series order as Timeless four months later.

Davis and his company and Kripke Enterprises are named as defendants in the suit; Ashton is not.

The jury-trial-seeking suit claims copyright infringement and breach of contract. It seeks compensatory damages and profits. The plaintiffs are repped by Devin McRae and Michael Smarinsky of Early Sullivan Wright Gizer & McRae in Los Angeles.

Source
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow. They weren't even subtle about it.
And all of this for a show premise that doesn't even sound groundbreaking or ty he next Emmy winner.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
Wow. They weren't even subtle about it.
And all of this for a show premise that doesn't even sound groundbreaking or ty he next Emmy winner.
Yeah, and while I don't want to be too critical of Kripke, he certainly does seem to have a history of plagiarizing other people's work. For example, with Revolution, it's being said that Kripke's original pitch sounded way too close to Stephen King's The Stand, so JJ Abrams came up with the nanite mythology to add an "original" element to the story...
Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

And what a marvellous addition the nanite mythology was...

It sounds like.the controversy didn't hurt the show's debut, though - its premiere had decent ratings, right?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
And what a marvellous addition the nanite mythology was...
What? You didn't think that was a brilliant piece of storytelling? Now I'm very, very disappointed. But in all seriousness, I will never understand why Revolution wasn't a simple character drama exploring a world without electricity from a social-economic stand point. I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I feel very confident that the show would still be on the air if the writers had taken it into a more grounded direction.

Quote:
It sounds like.the controversy didn't hurt the show's debut, though - its premiere had decent ratings, right?
Hm, I just looked up Timeless' ratings and so far, it's total viewer numbers have dropped with every new episode. The demo still looks ok, though.

Some casting news:

Quote:
Chicago P.D. to Investigate Zoo Star Billy Burke in Season 4 Guest Spot

Billy Burke is stepping up to the plate at his former stomping grounds.

The Revolution alum and current Zoo star will return to NBC with a guest spot on Season 4 of Chicago P.D., playing a legendary retired baseball player, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Burke’s character gets caught up in a murder investigation during Episode 6, titled “Skin in the Game.” And Burke is no stranger to the TV cop game, with recurring roles on TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles and Major Crimes in recent years.

The new season of the Dick Wolf-produced police drama will also welcome Quantico grad Li Jun Li as Burgess’ new partner. (Brian Geraghty, who played Sean Roman, will not be back as a series regular.)

Source
Old 11-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

More work is always good news - congrats to Billy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
What? You didn't think that was a brilliant piece of storytelling? Now I'm very, very disappointed.
What little positive opinion I had left for that storyline - and it wasn't all that much - went down the drain after reading the post-finale comics. I wish I could undo that.
Quote:
But in all seriousness, I will never understand why Revolution wasn't a simple character drama exploring a world without electricity from a social-economic stand point. I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I feel very confident that the show would still be on the air if the writers had taken it into a more grounded direction.
I agree, but I would have swallowed any kind of sci-fi madness if single characters, their personal storylines and dynamics had been consistent and compelling. It wasn't the case, and I believe TPTB didn't knew how to improve that, so they threw some ~cool distractions.in to try to cover up for that.

When Maggie died, so did the idea of focusing on just "normal" people dealing with a new world.
Quote:
Hm, I just looked up Timeless' ratings and so far, it's total viewer numbers have dropped with every new episode. The demo still looks ok, though.
Thanks. Out of curiosity I might take a look at the pilot.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Elite Fan

Finally, my prayers have been heard:

Quote:
‘Seven Seconds’: David Lyons & Beau Knapp To Co-Star In Netflix Drama Series

EXCLUSIVE: Game of Silence co-star David Lyons and newly minted Death Wish bad guy Beau Knapp have been set as co-stars of Seven Seconds, the 10-episode Netflix crime drama from The Killing creator Veena Sud and Fox 21 TV Studios. The Accountant helmer Gavin O’Connor attached to direct.

In the series, written by Sud and based on the 2013 Russian action movie The Major (Майор), tensions run high between African-American citizens and Caucasian cops in Jersey City, where a teenage African-American boy is critically injured by a cop. Sud executive produces with O’Connor, Lawrence Bender, Kevin Brown and Alex Reznik.

Lyons will play Mike Diangelo, an Alpha male lifer on the Jersey City police force who is the de facto leader of his small Narcotics squad. Knapp will play a cop new to the team who is eager to please his squad leader/father figure Diangelo.

Lyons, who was in last year’s Rathergate movie Truth, previously starred in the NBC drama series Game of Silence and Revolution. He is repped by CAA and Anonymous Content.

In addition to landing the villain role opposite Bruce Willis in Eli Roth’s Death Wish, Knapp’s recent credits include the upcoming Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and Sand Castle as well as Southpaw and The Nice Guys. He’s repped by CAA and Luber Roklin.

Source
It was about time that David leaves broadcast television behind. I really hope this project works out for him, but the fact that Veena Sud is behind this worries me quite a bit considering the mess she made out of The Killing remake.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for the news!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Elite Fan

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but it looks like Eric Kripke's latest show is already in danger of cancellation. I found this on his Twitter feed:

Source

Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 AM
MST Manager

I hope it works! I just looked up the show on IMDb. It looks interesting.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Elite Fan

From what I've seen, Timeless' ratings have continued to drop since Kripke's Twitter message and the show is probably very likely to get cancelled. I can't say much for the quality of the show because I have never watched it, but with every new series flop, Kripke appears to be more and more of a one-hit-wonder.

In other news, Giancarlo Esposito will reprise his role as Gus Fring in the upcoming season of Better Call Saul:

Quote:
Confirmed With Chicken: Gus Fring Is Coming to 'Better Call Saul'

Giancarlo Esposito's Gus Fring, teased in a recent Los Pollos Hermanos commercial, will be back for the third 'Better Call Saul' season, premiering on April 10.
The biggest non-secret in television was confirmed on Saturday afternoon at the Television Critics Association press tour, as Giancarlo Esposito delivered Los Pollos Hermanos chicken to reporters ahead of the panel for AMC's Better Call Saul.

The return of Esposito's revenge-bent kingpin Gus Fring, which was teased in the second season finale of Better Call Saul, was teased again with the release of a Los Pollos Hermanos commercial that actually aired in late-night TV in Albuquerque earlier this week and then was teased one more time when AMC put Esposito's image in the show's TCA seating chart.

It turns out that the ad, which quickly made its way around the internet, was actually Esposito's idea and was shot at the original Los Pollos Hermanos location in Albuquerque, with series co-creator Vince Gilligan joking that production on the commercial had to hide from a Breaking Bad tour group.

When the Gus return was presaged in the finale, Gilligan and co-creator Peter Gould claimed they didn't have a deal in place with Esposito and the Breaking Bad Emmy nominee admitted on the panel that negotiations were "a process that did take some time."

The panel featured no specifics on when or how much Gus will appear in the Breaking Bad prequel, which returns to AMC on April 10, and Esposito joked that the thing initially keeping him from committing was his own dream of a Gus prequel series that he titled The Rise of Gus.

Source
Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for the news!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Elite Fan

Some casting news:

Quote:
'Chicago P.D.' Enlists 'Revolution' Grad for Recurring Role

Tracy Spiridakos will make her debut on the cop drama in May.

Chicago P.D. is adding another new face in season four.

Revolution alum Tracy Spiridakos has signed on for a recurring role on the NBC cop drama, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The actress will play Hailey Upton, a detective in the robbery homicide unit with killer instincts, humor and smarts. Always clocking in overtime, Hailey got her detective shield meritoriously on the heels of an undercover assignment that is still shrouded in secrecy, and as a result has had to prove herself to those who thought she didn't earn her promotion.

Hailey will clash with Voight (Jason Beghe) over control of a case, but for the sake of solving it, they set aside their differences to work together. Voight says if she’s ever interested in Intelligence, he has a spot for her.

Spiridakos will make her debut in the 21st episode of the season, set to air in early May.

Source
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
Elite Fan

Daniella has landed the leading role in Las Reinas, one of this year's pilots at ABC:

Quote:
‘Las Reinas’: Daniella Alonso To Play the Lead In ABC Crime Drama Pilot

Daniella Alonso (Animal Kingdom) has been cast as the lead in Las Reinas, ABC’s drama pilot from feature writer Dean Georgaris, ABC Studios and the Mark Gordon Co.

Written by Georgaris and directed by Liz Friedlander, Las Reinas centers on Detective Alex De La Reina (Alonso) who is forced to confront her past when a case compels her to reconnect with her estranged family – the most powerful criminal outfit in Miami. Thrust back into the world she thought she had left behind, Alex must walk the murky line between the law and her family, and question her true destiny as a De La Reina. Sonia Braga co-stars.

Georgaris executive produces with Chris Brancato, who serves as showrunner, as well as TMGC’s Mark Gordon and Nicholas Pepper for ABC Studios.

Alonso, who starred on the NBC drama series Revolution, is coming off a season-long stint as a series regular on TNT’s dramas Animal Kingdom. She also recently recurred on The Night Shift and Being Mary Jane. Alonso is repped by Gersh and Luber Roklin Entertainment.

Source
Daniella has had a lot of bad luck with her roles over the last few years. Hopefully, this one works out for her. Fingers crossed!