Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
I think that may have been the case for lots of Revolution fans. The show had no shortage of canon romantic relationships, but the only ship that was able to gain a real following and create some online buzz was the Charlie & Monroe dynamic, which ironically remained a crack ship until the very end.
That fact should have made the writers pause and take a closer look at the storylines they came up with for the existing pairings.

Charlie and Bass were also helped by the fact that they looked really good together, and had fun banter. If I had been forced to pick a team, I would've joined the Charloe fanclub.

And you're right, they really had the largest following, along with the Miles/Monroe fans.
Quote:
Same here. Obviously, the idea of a Rachel/Miles pairing (aka a woman torn between brothers) was always a bit of a cliché, but I still feel like the writers could have created a compelling story for them if they had developed the romance from scratch in the present timeline. IMO, the writing staff did a disservice to the pairing by insisting on writing a Rachel/Miles fling into the backstory because it gave us the rather tasteless cheating angle, which made both characters look selfish and unlikable, and then the writers doubled-down on that with the abuse backstory, which they didn't even bring to a satisfying conclusion. Considering how serious all forms of emotional and physical abuse are, I would have liked to have seen a real arc where Miles redeems himself and slowly re-earns Rachel's trust, but instead, the show quickly brushed his past behaviour under the carpet and never mentioned it again.
They wanted to be "edgy" giving the male hero of the story a really dark past, but then they couldn't own up to it and be consistent in making him face the consequences.
They never cared much for Ben's character so it's no surprise that the whole triangle thing turned out to be just a case of her-heart-had-always-belonged-to-only-one, but it was sad to see them tear down the bases of his and Rachel marriage to make her star-crossed-lovers romance with Miles shine brighter.

And to go back to the Monroe/Charlie topic, it kind of makes me laugh that they probably didn't even entertain the idea of those two because of the big taboo of age difference, but had no qualms in introducing not one but two pairings with a past of abuse (because by the end they were leaning toward Bass and Rachel, too).
Quote:
Me too, but honestly, who doesn't? He's so pretty and talented.
You know my deep hate for triangles, though. I could accept a healthy threesome in which he pays equals attention to the both of us. Three days a week with him each, and on Sunday the three of us go to the movies together.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Elite Fan

^ Thanks for that gif, wickedrum. I know many fans in the Revolution fandom denied it, but I always thought David and Liz had great on-screen chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
That fact should have made the writers pause and take a closer look at the storylines they came up with for the existing pairings.
Yeah, in my experience, crack ships usually start to take over the fandom when the canon relationships fail to convince the (online) audience.

Quote:
Charlie and Bass were also helped by the fact that they looked really good together, and had fun banter. If I had been forced to pick a team, I would've joined the Charloe fanclub.

Quote:
And you're right, they really had the largest following, along with the Miles/Monroe fans.
Yeah, Miles/Monroe were pretty popular as well - especially in season 1. Another popular crack ship was Miles/Charlie if I remember correctly. Many shipped them just in a niece/uncle capacity, but there were also some that shipped them romantically.

Quote:
They never cared much for Ben's character so it's no surprise that the whole triangle thing turned out to be just a case of her-heart-had-always-belonged-to-only-one, but it was sad to see them tear down the bases of his and Rachel marriage to make her star-crossed-lovers romance with Miles shine brighter.
Yep, but IMO, this wasn't just a Revolution issue. It has sadly become a trend in Hollywood storytelling that people can only have 1 great love in their lives and when writers are forced to switch from 1 couple to another, they aren't brave enough to stand by the story they had written before. Instead, they often retcon and devalue past canon relationships to prop the latest flavour of the week.

Quote:
And to go back to the Monroe/Charlie topic, it kind of makes me laugh that they probably didn't even entertain the idea of those two because of the big taboo of age difference, but had no qualms in introducing not one but two pairings with a past of abuse (because by the end they were leaning toward Bass and Rachel, too).
Agreed. I don't think the Revolution writers would have ever been brave enough to canonize the Monroe/Charlie ship. I know one of the producers teased the shippers in a couple of interviews in the back-half of season 2, but as it turns out, they were planning to go with Rachel/Monroe all along and were just trying to create enough buzz to get the show renewed for another season.

Quote:
You know my deep hate for triangles, though. I could accept a healthy threesome in which he pays equals attention to the both of us. Three days a week with him each, and on Sunday the three of us go to the movies together.
That is ... perfect. I'm on board with that idea.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 02-16-2016 at 07:07 PM
Old 03-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Elite Fan

This gif set looks nice:

Source

Old 04-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

gorgeous Rachel gifset

they really cancelled the show too soon
Old 04-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyღ (View Post)
they really cancelled the show too soon
I thought season 2 was better than season 1, but I don't blame NBC for cancelling the show. The ratings were bad for much of the season and Revolution was very expensive to produce. Fortunately, the writers didn't keep the fans hanging and opted to wrap up the story in a short comic book series. I really wish more cancelled shows would do that because there's probably nothing worse than for a series to end on a cliffhanger when fans have invested god knows how much time in it.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

But if other shows do the comic book closure thing, please invest a little more in how you end the storylines because I'm still about how rushed most things were.
I guess anything is better than nothing, though.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I don't care what the ratings are or how much a Network spends on making the show. If I like the show - I want it to stay on the air. I guess I am just selfish that away

Shows getting cancelled over ratings is a real sore spot for me. The rating system in this country is such a joke. There are over 350 million people in the US. Do you know now many have a ratings box? not even 30,000. So that means less than one tenth of one percent of the country has a box. You can not tell me that they can actually determine the real ratings that shows are receiving off of such a teeny tiny margin of people. It really aggravates me that whether or not shows are cancelled or renewed depends on the TV watching habits of so few people.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)
But if other shows do the comic book closure thing, please invest a little more in how you end the storylines because I'm still about how rushed most things were.
I guess anything is better than nothing, though.
Absolutely. The quality of the Revolution comics was rather bad, but it was still better than nothing. I think if the show had run a little bit longer, they probably could have gotten a better deal and we would have ended up with a higher quality comic as a result.

Quote:
I don't care what the ratings are or how much a Network spends on making the show. If I like the show - I want it to stay on the air. I guess I am just selfish that away

Shows getting cancelled over ratings is a real sore spot for me. The rating system in this country is such a joke. There are over 350 million people in the US. Do you know now many have a ratings box? not even 30,000. So that means less than one tenth of one percent of the country has a box. You can not tell me that they can actually determine the real ratings that shows are receiving off of such a teeny tiny margin of people. It really aggravates me that whether or not shows are cancelled or renewed depends on the TV watching habits of so few people.
Oh, I agree. The Nielsen ratings system is generally pretty laughable although I do think that it has slightly improved ever since they started to add DVR-viewing to the Live + SD ratings. Like, if you have a Tivo and watch a show via DVR until a specific time (I think it's 4 o'clock in the morning the day after the original broadcast), then your viewership is counted in the final ratings even if you aren't a member of the Nielsen family.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Yes they do count the DVR viewership in the final ratings, but it doesn't really effect whether or not the show is renewed. Shows are renewed based mostly off of how much money they can make in advertising dollars from corporations. Unfortunately corporate advertisers don't care about DVR ratings because people can and do fast forward through their advertisements. So it doesn't really help a shows profitability or chances of renewal to have high DVR ratings. Everything is money driven and entirely dependent on live viewing numbers generated by the Nielson boxes because commercials can not be fast forwarded through if people are watching it live.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yes they do count the DVR viewership in the final ratings, but it doesn't really effect whether or not the show is renewed. Shows are renewed based mostly off of how much money they can make in advertising dollars from corporations. Unfortunately corporate advertisers don't care about DVR ratings because people can and do fast forward through their advertisements. So it doesn't really help a shows profitability or chances of renewal to have high DVR ratings. Everything is money driven and entirely dependent on live viewing numbers generated by the Nielson boxes because commercials can not be fast forwarded through if people are watching it live.
Yeah, I get all of that but I wasn't talking about Live + 7 DVR ratings. I was talking about Live + Same Day ratings - the ratings that are a big factor in cancelation & renewal decisions and released every morning. Those do include DVR-viewing by non-Nielsen households and have done so for several years. Let's say an episode of Revolution airs at 8PM and you choose to watch it on DVR at 10PM on the same day, then Nielsen will count your viewership in those ratings even if you aren't part of the Nielsen family. And while it's true that DVR-viewing loses it's importance outside of the Live + Same Day window, it's untrue that advertisers don't care about it at all. As far as I know, Nielsen has a specific metric that measures how many people watch the commercials while DVR-ing a show. Those ratings are called Live + C3 and Live + C7 ratings. They are not released to the public and those are the numbers advertisers care for the most. From what I've heard, Live + Same Day ratings come the closest to the C3 and C7 numbers. Apparently, half of Fox's TV ad inventory is sold on a C7 basis nowadays.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Sorry - i have never heard of those categories for viewership and I had no idea they could actually see which DVR viewers did and did not watch the commercials. I know they can in on demand because they just don't allow you to fast forward through them. But I had never heard that they could tell if you watched commercials on a show that you recorded yourself on the DVR.

Learn something new everyday
Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sorry - i have never heard of those categories for viewership and I had no idea they could actually see which DVR viewers did and did not watch the commercials. I know they can in on demand because they just don't allow you to fast forward through them. But I had never heard that they could tell if you watched commercials on a show that you recorded yourself on the DVR.

Learn something new everyday
I think most people aren't aware of all of that. From what I've heard, they can even track which scenes of a particular episode are rewatched the most, but I have no idea how any of that works from a technical standpoint.

A new gif set:

Source

Old 08-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Elite Fan

This drawing looks quite nice, IMO:

Larger version can be found here.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Elite Fan

While I was browsing Entertainment Weekly's official website, I found this list:

Quote:
Canceled TV Shows That Ended on Major Cliffhangers

Revolution
Although NBC's post-apocalyptic drama waned in viewership and quality during its second season, that doesn't make Revolution's lingering cliffhangers any less painful. The nanotech that had been responsible for leaving the world without power was slowly taking over and causing people to see visions of their loved ones telling them to travel to Bradbury, Idaho. The finale ended with a shot of Bradbury, Idaho seeing power restored and crowds of people walking toward the light. (True, a 4-part comic was released this summer to give some conclusion, but it's not quite the same as a season 3.) —Dalene Rovenstine

Source