Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lost - The End (6x17/6x18) - Series Finale Discussion Thread

"Lost" Series Finale to Air on Sunday, May 23 from 9:00-11:30 p.m., ET,

Retrospective Special, "Lost: The Final Journey," Precedes the Finale from 7:00-9:00 p.m., ET

Jimmy Kimmel Bids the Show Farewell in
"Jimmy Kimmel Live: Aloha to Lost" from 12:05-1:05 a.m., ET

The critically acclaimed, hit drama "Lost" premiered on September 22, 2004. The series was nominated for numerous awards and was a 2008 recipient of the prestigious Peabody Award, and awarded the 2005 Emmy and 2006 Golden Globe for Best Drama Series. At the end of its sixth and final season, "Lost" will have aired 114 episodes (121 episodic hours).

Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, leaving 48 passengers alive and stranded on a remote island in the South Pacific. The survivors include a diverse group of people from different walks of life -- a doctor, an escaped fugitive, a con man, an Iraqi interrogator, a married Korean couple and a man formerly confined to a wheelchair who is now inexplicably healed. As the castaways attempt to get home, flashbacks (and forwards) illuminate their troubled lives before and after the crash, as the island that they find themselves stranded on begins to slowly reveal its mysterious nature. Faith, reason, destiny and free will all clash as the island offers opportunities for both corruption and redemption... but as to its true purpose? That's the greatest mystery of all.

The ABC "Lost" Series Finale event is set to kick off with the airing of "Pilot, Parts 1 & 2," an enhanced version of the two-hour pilot of the series that changed the way viewers watch television. The enhanced pilot will feature exclusive insight with the cast saying goodbye to the groundbreaking series and talking about what "Lost" has meant to them over the years. The enhanced pilot airs SATURDAY, MAY 22 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Following the finale episode, Jimmy Kimmel will host a one-hour post-show discussion and celebration of the beloved series in "Jimmy Kimmel Live: Aloha to Lost," SUNDAY, MAY 23 (12:05-1:05 a.m., ET). Kimmel will be joined in studio by Naveen Andrews, Nestor Carbonell, Alan Dale, Jeremy Davies, Emilie de Ravin, Michael Emerson, Matthew Fox, Daniel Dae Kim, Terry O'Quinn and Harold Perrineau, with special appearances by Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway and Evangeline Lilly and an exclusive look at THREE ALTERNATIVE FINAL SCENES from the minds of executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana.

"Lost" was created by Jeffrey Lieber and J.J. Abrams & Damon Lindelof. Abrams, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Jean Higgins, Elizabeth Sarnoff, Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz, Jack Bender and Carlton Cuse serve as executive producers. "Lost," which is filmed entirely on location in Hawaii and premiered on September 22, 2004, is from ABC Studios.

"The End" Parts 1 & 2 was written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse and directed by Jack Bender.

(source: abcmedianet.com 1 & 2)

Promotional Photos

You can find all the pictures released for this episode HERE.

Promos

ABC promo #1 (00:30)
ABC promo #2 (00:30)
ABC promo #3 (00:15)

Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for opening this thread Fran. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Juliet again, but my expectations for the finale are lower than low.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

My expectations for the finale are reduced to this:
Spoiler:

I'm so scared it's ridiculous.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Elite Fan

But if Lost ends with the alternate timeline the entire show would basically be rendered pointless. That would be even worse than the Dallas shower retcon in the 1980's, but that's exactly the kind of stuff I am expecting from this show.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't wait to see Jules again .
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread!

I'm so excited
Old 05-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for opening the thread.

I'm sad because I know I'll miss this show.
I'm anxious and scared because I don't know what will happen.
I'm sooo happy because after 3 freaking months we'll see Juliet again!

Damn Lost, you ruined my life but I love you anyway. I hope to sleep tonight otherwise...

Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm contemplating getting drunk like Juliet did in the S4 finale and hope to fall asleep and wake up tomorrow morning once it's all said and done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
But if Lost ends with the alternate timeline the entire show would basically be rendered pointless. That would be even worse than the Dallas shower retcon in the 1980's, but that's exactly the kind of stuff I am expecting from this show.
I still think the ALT will disappear. Mostly because during the years the writers have made a big deal out of the "death is death" argument, and keeping the ALT would mean bringing back to life all the people they have killed off and erase that part of the drama.

But if that's the case, I truly wish the ALT had been used only for the first part of the season and abandoned after that. Now they have invested energies, plot and screentime in it, and said in more than one occasion that this new timeline is just as real as the original one.

I won't even try to say two realities isn't a paradox. But after seeing time travel, ghosts, magic caves of light, and an immortal man being turned into a giant pile of killer smoke? I can compromise and take the ALT without questions about whether it fits the "rules" enstablished on the show in the past or not - *if* the characters there have memory of everything that went on on the island. Hurley's reaction to Ana in the past episode made me a bit hopeful that might be the case.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Elite Fan

I took for granted that all the caracters will remember everything that happened on island eventually. I can't imagine the show ending without them being aware of the original timeline Desmond and Hurley already got all their memories back, we just have to wait for the others.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

At first I, too, thought the characters would get their full memories back, but then I started doubting it, wonderinf if maybe some of them wouldn't just have one big moment of recognition/flashback, which would remain very vague.
Only after last week's episode I've been feeling more confident on that matter.

Who are the brave souls (not US resident) who are watching the finale live tonight?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I can compromise and take the ALT without questions about whether it fits the "rules" enstablished on the show in the past or not - *if* the characters there have memory of everything that went on on the island. Hurley's reaction to Ana in the past episode made me a bit hopeful that might be the case.
I personally don't see how a merging of the consciousness is supposed to work. Let's take Ben as an example. In the alternate universe, he's a gentle and supportive man with a pretty sound rational view of the world who couldn't hurt a fly and then he suddenly starts to remember all kinds of whacked out stuff from another timeline, e.g. Alex being shot in the head right in front of him, his gassing of the members of the DI, his murder of a man named Jacob, his cold-blooded murder of his own father, how he had cancer while living on a mystical island that heals people etc. And it's not just about Ben. For example Jack would suddenly be the ex-husband of both Sarah and Juliet and all the characters that died on the island would suddenly remember their deaths. And then there's also the time difference to consider. The sideways take place in 2004, but our island characters are living in the year 2007. They would basically be receiving memories from alternate versions of themselves from an alternate future. And then I'm supposed to believe that all these characters are just going to shrug that off and live happily ever after as if nothing happened? That does not compute IMO but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 05-23-2010 at 05:39 PM
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Elite Fan

Ok, I have just watched the finale and I have to say this was the worst series finale I've ever watched in my whole life. Basically, the entire story of Lost was Jack's adventure and all the other characters were only props in his story and as someone who was never a big fan of Jack's and watched the show despite of his character, I wasn't happy with that revelation. At all. What made it even worse for me is that the writers didn't even tell us what kind of life Claire, Richard, Miles, Kate, Sawyer etc. lived after they left the island on the plane. None of that had any significance, it seems. It turned out everything that happened on the island did happen for real and the Flash Sideways were the purgatory where all the characters came together so that they could all move on to heaven together as soon as Jack was ready to let go. It was all fake. And the show also didn't give us any answers to any of the mysteries, but I guess that was to be expected because Jack never cared about any of the mysteries. Locke did.

That said, the writers gave us more Juliet in the finale than I was expecting so that was a nice little surprise. I loved that she was given a scene with Jin and Sun and I also loved her scenes with Jack and David, although I wished we would have seen a little bit more of her with the kid. Also, if I understood it correctly, David never really existed so that was also quite a bummer for me. And I thought that Liz looked extremely gorgeous in the finale. Epecially in the black dress. It fit her perfectly.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 05-24-2010 at 05:58 PM
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Passionate Fan

All I can say now: I loved it.
I don't know exactly why. I imagined that the sideways was a thing to reunite all the characters together but they were dead anyway. But I never thought about a real purgatory. So it was a nice and sad surprise.

I'm happy for Juliet. The scene with Sun/Jin was lovely and the one with James pure perfection.
My Jack. I love him. And Jack and Kate. Good Lord. I cried so much. I'm still crying.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Passionate Fan

I would have preferred for characters other than Jack to get more screen time. But there were some good Liz moments in the finale.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Elite Fan

Liz was great in the finale, I loved happy!Juliet sfm She was glowing.