I love that interview.
I love you
meghan
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Jen He's really a cutie!

More news as we count down the days...

Quote:

Vamping it up: Nina Dobrev sinks her teeth into The Vampire Diaries.
By Alex Strachan, Canwest News ServiceAugust 31, 2009

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Self-possessed, unassuming, laid back - and dead tired after flying all night from the set of The Vampire Diaries in Atlanta, GA.

This isn't Nina Dobrev's thing. She's 20-years-old, she's Canadian, her family moved to Toronto from Sofia, Bulgaria when she was two, she attended Toronto's Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts and she grew up on Degrassi: The Next Generation. Hollywood? Not her deal. Not really.

Do the red carpet thing, stare back at the paparazzi, smile when told and work hard to look like you mean it and - most of all - don't affect an attitude. That too-hip-for-the-room, ironic detachment thing is sooo last year.

This is a celebutante who reads, people. Like, actual books. On her official MySpace page - ``After numerous fake profiles, I decided to make a real account where I (along with some help) will be occasionally posting new pictures, blogs and filming updates'' - she lists Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones and Anne Michaels' Fugitive Pieces among her favourite books, along with the obvious - Twilight, the Harry Potter series - and not-so- obvious: Nova Scotia writer Ami McKay's The Birth House.

Her heroes: Rachel McAdams, Meryl Streep, child rights advocate (and fellow Canadian) Craig Kielburger.

Her favourite TV shows: Heroes, House, Grey's Anatomy, Nip/Tuck, So You Think You Can Dance and, like, you know, Gossip Girl.

Movies? The Notebook, Knocked Up, Rent, Juno, Schindler's List and - wait for it - Transformers.

Don't try figuring her out, in other words. She's complicated and normal, all in one.

In The Vampire Diaries, she plays Elena Gilbert, the proverbial good-girl-on- the-cusp-of-adulthood torn between two vampire brothers, one saintly, one more in tune with his dark side.

Thanks to the pop-cultural hysteria over Twilight, Elena Gilbert was the most sought-after role for young actresses since, well, Bella Swan in Twilight, right? So the audition process was a fight-to-the-death, and Dobrev only managed to land the role by the skin of her teeth. Right?

``Actually,'' Dobrev said matter-of-factly, ``The Vampire Diaries was my first audition for a pilot. I came to L.A. for the first time in January. I read the script, and I loved it. Loved it. Thought it was really cool. I'd just gotten off (Degrassi), so obviously I was trained and ready. I knew the drill and everything that goes with it. The character was great. I guess something happened, and they liked what I was doing.

``And so, yeah, the fact that I'm Canadian, maybe that had something to do with it.''

The small-screen adaptation of The Vampire Diaries is different in several important respects from L.J. Smith's series of young adult novels, none the least of which is Dobrev's soul-stirring central character.

``Elena has a lot of myself in her, and I feel I'm a lot like my character. But she has to be innocent. She's a very different character in the books. We really wanted somebody who had a vulnerability and had a reliability and looks for the good in everyone. Things aren't good for her right now - she's in a tough place; she lost her parents; her brother is on a downward spiral - but she's still trying to find the good in everyone and fix things and be optimistic. She's trying to cope.''

Dobrev is only too well aware of the inevitable looming comparisons between The Vampire Diaries and Twilight.

``I read the Twilight books way back - well, really, it wasn't that long ago, but it felt like a long time ago. It was before the whole vampire Twilight craze, this Rob Pattinson obsession with everyone in the world, so I was unaffected, in that sense.

``And I liked them. I really liked them. I mean, there are similarities. There are vampires in both shows. But they're different. And as the series goes on, it's going to get more different.''

The Vampire Diaries pilot episode was filmed in Vancouver, but the series relocated to Atlanta - in part because of Georgia's more competitive tax incentives - and a nearby town called Covington.

Dobrev has embraced her new small-town home with open arms, despite the long hours flying back and forth.

``I literally shot until 7 p.m. last night, went straight to the airport, got here at 2 a.m., went to sleep, woke up maybe an hour and 45 minutes ago. At Comic-Con we shot until six in the morning, arrived maybe at 10 a.m., went to Comic-Con, then went to the cast party thing, and were back shooting at 6 a.m. It's crazy. But I'm having fun.''

Tonight? Fly back on the red-eye, learn lines on the plane, snatch an hour's sleep - two hours tops. Vampire hours.

As for the vampire fad, Dobrev said, ``It's not really a fad. It's timeless. Don't you agree? Vampires are . . . they don't die. They're always around. They're eternal. It just seems, right now, people are really responding.''

As for whether she would go for the good boy or the bad boy - ``Nina or Elena?'' she said, with a quick laugh.

Speaking for Nina, ``I don't think I can really make that decision,'' Dobrev said. ``I love these boys - Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder - but they're like my brothers.''

As for Elena, Dobrev said, ``Stefan (Wesley) is the man who tries to reach out to her soul. He cares about her, and he takes care of her. Whereas Damon (Somerhalder) has that bad-boy quality, and every girl likes a bad boy at the end of the day. So it's a toss-up. They're both great guys; I'll tell you that, though.''

Dobrev may play a high school girl torn between vampire brothers in The Vampire Diaries, but she has no desire to be immortal in her own life.

``I don't know if I'd want it,'' she said. ``I live a pretty cool life, so I'm happy where I am.''

The Vampire Diaries debuts Thursday, Sept. 10 on CTV and The CW at 8 ET/PT.

source
Quote:
Tampa Bay area Vampire Diaries fans may shed blood to attend premiere of new CW series

Let's say you're a big Tampa Bay area blood bank -- well aware of that 15 percent of all blood donations come from high schoolers -- and eager to transform all that teen enthusiasm for Twilight into fresh faces at your donation drives.

If you're Florida Blood Services, you arrange a promotion centered on the next best thing -- the premiere of the CW's new TV version of Twilight, Vampire Diaries.

Anyone giving blood between now and Sept. 10 at an FBS donor center gets a voucher for two free tickets to to special premiere of Vampire Dairies, held by local CW affiliate WTOG-Ch. 44 and scheduled at 8 p.m. Sept. 10 in the Ritz Theater in Ybor City. You also get a t-shirt, wellness checkup and free cholesterol screening.

Click here for more details.

Based on a series of bestselling young adult novels, the Vampire Dairies series centers on high schooler Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), who finds herself drawn to hunky new student Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) -- a pale, charismatic hottie who seem to have an old soul. Turns out, he's a vampire trying to go cold turkey on the humans, but he's got a big problem: his sadistic older brother Damon, played by Lost alum Ian Somerhalder.

I've only seen the pilot, but it looks like these vamps can walk around in daytime -- how else can Stefan attend high school? -- while turning into mist and black crows.

What kid can resist watching a series starring people like that? If it takes a pint of blood or two to get the first look -- well, people have probably done worse to get Jonas Brothers tickets.

Haven't they?

source

Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is Part II of "A Darker Truth" The Webisode.

LOL Basement? Stakes? Coffins? Holy Water?
Dude.. you so don't know Vampires .
Old 09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Master Fan

OMG DYING. omgosh.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

I love interviews with nina. She seems so down to earth.
I love you
meghan
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere (View Post)
LOL Basement? Stakes? Coffins? Holy Water?
Dude.. you so don't know Vampires .
Yeah, more of like disoriented naked ladies on their bed
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the news!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is some behind the scenes clip from the TV Guide photoshoot

Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Saw those earlier but thanks for posting it here Jen
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is the third part of "A Darker Truth"

Here is another TV Guide video
Casting call for Alaric, director Kevin Bray wraps #104 & another TV Guide video : Vampire-Diaries.net | A Fansite for L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 09-03-2009 at 03:41 PM
Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

HAHAHAH you know this guys is seriously so funny. he has a lot to learn. from what I get...Damon's Stalking Stefan, and what's his name [I forgot..] is thinking it's Stefan

dude...he touched the Blood. I soo wouldn't do that.. haha
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Jen.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's what it seems like... he is misinterpreting Damon's killings, for Stefan.
Well, except for the rabbits