Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

VD News and Media Thread #2 - Anything and everything and a whole lot of other things about VD

Keep posting guys!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread Weena

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff
The CW to encore VAMPIRE DIARIES, MELROSE PLACE pilots twice – Friday, September 11 and Sunday, September 13 starting at 8:00/7:00c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by April
Awareness studies from Nielsen go to all the networks to help them determine how many potential viewers are aware of their new shows… And if the broadcasters need to adjust their marketing messages… Some of this is a slippery slope because, say, a network show is premiering late and the marketing has barely begun... Spinoffs and remakes (NCIS, Cleveland Show, Melrose Place, SNL) tend to have higher awareness than new originals… Dramas usually have higher awareness than sitcoms at this stage of the summer because they start production earlier and have more footage to show... So, with those warnings:

Best Awareness Among 18-49 Demo By Network

ABC
Cougar Town
Flash Forward (strong intent-to-view sentiment among those aware of this show)
Worst: Hank

CBS
NCIS: Los Angeles (also strong intent to view)
The Good Wife
Worst: Three Rivers (doesn't premiere until October)

FOX
Glee
The Cleveland Show (very strong intent to view)
Worst: Brothers

NBC
Trauma
SNL Weekend Update (good intent-to-view)
Worst: Community

CW
Melrose Place
Vampire Diaries (strong intent to view)
Worst: The Beautiful Life

Source: Deadline Hollywood
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

stong intent to view!!! woohoo!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yes! And I agree with that, too.

ETA: Found these:

Quote:
Twilight' meets Dawson's Creek' in CW's Vampire Diaries'

PASADENA, Calif. - Who would've thought that yesterday's Pet Rock, bell-bottom jeans and "Batman" parodies would turn into the undead? But if anything has snagged the spotlight these days it's the eternally stalking vampire. There's nothing as hot as that cold embrace.

From Nosferatu to "Twilight," vampires have always been good for a dramatic shiver. And television has been kind to the teeth that fed it from "The Night Stalker," to "Moonlight" to "True Blood," to the newest resurrection, "Vampire Diaries," premiering Sept. 10 on the CW.

This series is etched by writer Kevin Williamson (best known for his pace-setting "Dawson's Creek") and his sometime co-writer Julie Plec. Based on the books by L.J. Smith, "Vampire Diaries" not only owes its heritage to the vampire mythology, but goes back even further to the Cain and Able conflict.

Here you have the "good" vampire (Paul Wesley) and his older brother, the "bad" vampire (Ian Somerhalder).

"The premise is the same," says Williamson, "girl meets vampire ... When I read the first book, I was like, 'No way. This is "Twilight."' But when I got to the second book, you start to realize, 'Oh, my God, boy, this is a fork in the road. It really does separate.' So we're getting to that fork in the road really quick. And we're really sort of telling the story about a small town and all the sort of evil ... this darkness that sort of lies underneath this town and how this vampire comes to town and sort of stirs it all up."

At first Williamson was reluctant to follow the fad. But he and Plec had worked together on "Scream" and wanted to join forces again. "We were like, 'Well, OK, all right. We'll see what we can do.' And once we got into it, it's sort of a challenge. It's like, 'What can we do differently? What can we add to it?'" says Williamson.

The pilot was particularly difficult to write, he says. "Because it does have a lot of similarities to 'Twilight,' and there's no way around it.

"We had the story as he comes to town, the first day of school. That is the book. So we are telling it in sort of that fashion, but we're switching things around. Once we get into it and we can establish all the characters ... the pilot, we had 10 characters to get out in 42 minutes. It's tough. And so now we can sort of sit back and start telling stories on a weekly basis. Then it all changes. That's when you'll see the differences, because you're watching a weekly show. We're not a movie with a beginning, middle and end. We're actually evolving, and we get to evolve and just tell the stories, and it just sort of unrolls."

Wesley plays the good vampire, who has not fed on human blood for many years. He's the new kid at Mystic Falls High School, who may have fought in the Civil War, but has to be a teenager like the others. Wesley says he read dozens of other pilots before he happened on this one.

"A vampire who is born in the 1860s, and then has to mask himself as a high schooler - there was nothing like that. I was so, so obsessed with this character. I love this character so much," says Wesley.

"And what we love about the character is he may be 150 years old, but he's a teenager, and he still can't get it right," adds Williamson.

Nina Dobrev ("DeGrassi: The Next Generation") plays the small-town girl that both siblings lust after. "Stefan (Wesley) is the man who tries to reach out to her soul, and he cares about her, and he takes care of her," says Dobrev, "whereas Damon (Somerhalder) has that bad-boy quality, and every girl likes a bad boy, at the end of the day ... There is something about a man who lurks in the dark."

Plec agrees and says she owes her fascination with bad boys to the television of her youth. "Me in my head, if Jordan Catalano (the aloof teen of "My So-Called Life") was a vampire or Dylan McKay (of "Beverly Hills, 90210"), that naughty-bad boy that just ... You want to believe, like in reference to Jordan, you want to believe there is so much going on behind those eyes. You want to believe that they have epic amounts of knowledge and soul and spirituality and intelligence lurking behind those eyes. And in the real men, you often don't get that."

Bloodsuckers they may be, but vampires obey certain rules in the mythology. Williamson says he's skewed those a bit. "I know we can go out in the sun. Sunlight kills vampires but they have this talisman ring that they wear, with this blue lapis stone - this is from the book - that protects them. It has been spelled, so it is a special ring. They can wear it and go out into the sun. But if that ring comes off, they are in trouble."

"The rules of killing are pretty consistent across multiple mythologies," says Plec. "But the rest of the folklore doesn't really apply. We don't have silver, garlic, crucifixes. They can be seen in mirrors. All the basic, throughout time and fiction, rules of vampires (don't apply)."

source
NY Times reported this:

Quote:

Looking for Viewers. No Need to Pardon the Puns

IS America vampired out? The CW network hopes not.

CW begins an ambitious campaign this week to promote a new series for the 2009-10 TV season, “The Vampire Diaries.” The campaign includes offbeat elements intended to attract attention, which include a blood drive, giveaways of mock products like “fang floss” and online games.

“The Vampire Diaries,” scheduled to make its debut on CW stations on Sept. 10, is tailored to appeal to the network’s target audience: younger women who dote on its shows like “One Tree Hill” and “Supernatural” and were fans of series like “Dawson’s Creek” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” which were from its predecessor, WB.

Perhaps the most unusual aspect of the promotions is the blood drive, sponsored with the American Red Cross. It is to take place on more than 230 high school and college campuses around the country, said Stephanie Millian, director for biomedical communications at the Red Cross in Washington.

Posters feature the three principal cast members of “The Vampire Diaries” — Paul Wesley, Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder — sprawled languidly under this headline: “Starve a vampire. Donate blood.”

The Red Cross is working with CW “to produce a public service announcement that will feature members of the cast,” Ms. Millian said, and there will be commercials promoting the blood drive on the Channel One high school TV network owned by Alloy Inc.

The partnership is “an opportunity to engage the younger members of our communities,” she added, noting that Americans ages 16 to 22 represent “25 percent of our donors.”

“The Vampire Diaries” arrives as TV sets, movie theaters, Web sites and bookstores are awash in all things vampiric.

On television, there already are the HBO series “True Blood” and the BBC America series “Being Human.” The popular film “Twilight” is to get a sequel, “New Moon.” And online, the Web site Crunchyroll (crunchyroll.com) is starting to stream a vampire drama, “RH Plus,” from Japan.

To be sure, when it comes to the entertainment media jumping aboard bandwagons, too much is often never enough. But can CW executives be sure they are not overestimating the American public’s taste for blood?

“I don’t look at it as necessarily competing,” said Rick Haskins, executive vice president for marketing and brand strategy at CW, which is owned by the CBS Corporation and Time Warner. The HBO audience, for instance, is “very different” from CW’s, he added.

And while each of the “Twilight” movies is “a once-a-year mega-event,” Mr. Haskins said, “The Vampire Diaries” can be marketed as “a once-a-week event.”

“One is going to feed off the other,” he added, “no pun intended.”

(Giving Mr. Haskins a moment to get all the vampire wordplay out of his system, he also offered that the CW series is “going to be on Thirstdays.”)

Matt Diamond, chief executive at Alloy, which is a producer of “The Vampire Diaries,” said he was encouraged that CW executives were selling the series as “a good show that has vampires in it” rather than as a vampire-fest.

“We’re not naïve,” said Mr. Diamond, whose company publishes the “Vampire Diaries” books on which the series is based and is in business with CW on the “Gossip Girl” hit series. “If vampires become yesterday’s news, there will be an element of the show that will not be as popular.”

In the meantime, “in this demographic, you want to be hitting on what’s popular,” Mr. Diamond said. “It’s not always great to try to be the trendsetter if you want mass appeal.”

Steve Sternberg, a media analyst, said he believed that “The Vampire Diaries” had the best chance for success of all the new series arriving on CW for 2009-10, which also include an updated version of “Melrose Place” and “The Beautiful Life,” a show about young models.

“The Vampire Diaries” also lends itself to the “out-of-the-box promotions” that CW is planning, said Mr. Sternberg, who recently left his post as executive vice president for audience analysis at Magna, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies.

Among other elements of the campaign being developed by Mr. Haskins are trinkets to be distributed in cities like Chicago, Los Angeles and New York. They include packages of dental floss bearing the words “fang floss” as well as sunscreen for vampires, relabeled as “sunscream” with a V.P.F. — Vampire Protection Factor — of 1,000, because “sun damage is the No. 1 killer of the undead.”

The online game, called “Race Against the Dawn,” will be available on the Mochi Media Web site (mochimedia.com/games). And a “Vamp Yourself” online widget, or small application, enabling computer users to create and share with friends vampiric versions of photographs, will be on aol.com and the CW Web site (cwtv.com).

Although promotional commercials for “The Vampire Diaries” are now running on CW, the myriad efforts off the network are particularly important because CW viewership falls significantly during the summer when almost all its programs are reruns.

“Fewer people have the opportunity to see network promos on CW’s own air,” Mr. Sternberg, the media analyst, said.

And coming fall shows like “The Vampire Diaries” are getting less attention than usual in the entertainment media, he added, because of the considerable coverage for new summer series like “Project Runway” and “Mad Men.”

Perhaps the next big TV idea is “The Mad Men Diaries,” about vampires on Madison Avenue. Their competitive advantage: they work nights.

source

Last edited by HappySquared; 08-24-2009 at 11:35 PM
Old 08-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting those!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Moderator Support Team

who hoo
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this part:

Quote:
And what we love about the character is he may be 150 years old, but he's a teenager, and he still can't get it right," adds Williamson.
Yes, our boy has a flaw.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

This isn't spoilery even though i had posted it in the Spoiler thread as well

Looks like we have a webisode series to tie in to the show. Titled A Darker Truth, it follows a guy named Jason searching for his sister’s killer in Mystic Falls. We get a nice peek at the interior of the Mystic Grill, learn that Zach is indeed 100%-for-sure Zach Salvatore, and…well, you can watch it to learn the rest

Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for this Jen. As I've said at the Spoilers Board, this interests me. Plus that video is very mysterious.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Jen. It looks interesting. And I want to watch more.

April
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Elite Fan

I think we should mention this:

Quote:
It seems that A Darker Truth is a four-episode prequel web series which will lead us up to (and through, looking at the way the dates stack up) the premiere of the Vampire Diaries TV series on September 10th. It’s certainly nice to have something new to tide us over these last 15 painful days of waiting.

The web series is being produced by Retrofit Films, and was written by staff co-producer Sean Raycraft. The cast of the TV series won’t be appearing in it themselves (though the web series will be using clips and stills from its TV series parent), with new characters played by web-only actors being used instead (we don’t have information about who these actors yet). Episodes are set to be released every Tuesday.
from Vampire-Diaries.net | A Fansite for L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Master Fan

Okay, so this is not actually news but I found it quite funny, hehehe

Quote:
True/Slant Exclusive! Actual ‘Vampire Diaries’ entries leaked

(image courtesy the WB Network)

There’s, like, a totally new clique of blood suckers in town, thanks to the same CBS-slash-UPN-slash-Time Warner-owned network behind Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and a bunch of other shows that people younger than you watch totally every week like their lives depended on it. Called The Vampire Diaries, the show follows new-in-town schoolgirl Elena Gilbert (tragic accident + change in location + learning the ropes + hot vampire dudes = ka-ching!), her kid brother (pathos machine), and a couple tall, dead, and handsome bros with funny names (think foreign exchange students). One bro’s good, the other’s totally evil, both want to show Elena their secret handshake, but only one actually will. It’s like The Breakfast Club, if the cafeteria were serving blood pudding every single day of the week.

The show premieres in September, but thanks to a secret Hollywood insider (so hush-hush) I got a sneak peek at a few of the blood suckers’ actual diary entries. I think you’ll be surprised.

Monday. Dear Diary, stayed up all night again. Met this nice girl. She had really long blond hair and this great smile. Killed her. Got to bed just as the sun was coming up. But a stupid cricket or something outside my window totally kept me awake for hours. Not happy.

Wednesday. Dear Diary, went out last night and snacked on all these skater punks over by the reservoir. I am seriously rocking a contact high right now. I just ate a whole bag of Doritos and, like, can’t stop giggling. Plus? I now have, like, fifteen skateboards. Test tomorrow.

Saturday. Dear Diary, you know that scene in that movie “The Lost Boys,” when they hang from the train tracks and stuff? We totally did that tonight! I thought it would be awesome, but it was actually kinda lame. Then we went for ramen and Stefan was like, “Worms, Damon, you’re eating worms.” I was like, “Not funny!” Plus, my favorite t-shirt now? Totally grease-stained! All the dry-cleaners close at 5. Lame.

Sunday. Dear Diary, last night was pretty weird. First of all I totally drained the life from this super nice guy. Elena was like, “Dude, he’s so handsome.” I don’t know, I guess he was. I mean, I don’t really tend to notice that stuff cause I’m a guy too and all. But he seemed really nice, and he had this awesome messenger bag and this really nice, like, sorta deconstructed jacket that I thought he totally rocked. I guess things got kinda homoerotic because Stefan was like, “Bro, you’re so gay.” I’m so confused I want to die. Or live. Or something.
source: Mike Harvkey - Closely Watched – True/Slant Exclusive! Actual ‘Vampire Diaries’ entries leaked - True/Slant

And another poll alert!
Move over RPattz! A new set of fangs are in line to be the hottest vampires
Vote for the hottest new vampire between Paul Wesley (Stefan), Xamier Samuel (some other guy, hahahaha ) and Ian Somerhalder As of this post, the number stands at 21%(Paul), 35%(Xamier) and 44%(Ian)

Last edited by weena; 08-27-2009 at 08:43 AM
Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Elite Fan

God, I love this

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 08-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Elite Fan

finally a new thread
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Star