Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

I like how powerful they are in VD. Especially when you can see the difference in power between Damon and Stefan. And that's only because Stefan doesn't feed from humans and Damon does.
I love you
meghan
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing starlight (View Post)
I like how powerful they are in VD. Especially when you can see the difference in power between Damon and Stefan. And that's only because Stefan doesn't feed from humans and Damon does.
yeah, it one of the many reasons why Damon is so cool..he can basically kill everyone but he doesn't for the most part hehe
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Passionate Fan

no of course not some have rings to protect them or shine in direct sunlight and in other stories it says that the older ones can stand the sun but the younger ones are effected its from the morganville vampire series from rachel caine read it if you love vampires, cuz i do

Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
Weena You'll do fine hon. Maybe just lie low on the subtle sarcasm with Twilight; instead use constructive criticism.

oh in VD, the older vampires are the weaker?

I didn't have any problems with the sparkling vampires in Twilight. What I didn't like is that you have to mutilate the vampire and burn them because their body parts can volt in. I thought it was a bit too corny to visualize. I hated zombie movies. But I do love the different powers some of their vampires have. Interesting if they work together.

We need to have a list of qualities of all these vampire myths we are talking about in the OP. I'll work on it.
Err...I'm not good with subtlety, hehehe

As Stefan explained in VD, stronger vampires are more susceptible to certain weaknesses because they are more consumed by the darkness

And lol with the volt-in thing, hahahaha
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineDelicate (View Post)
The Vampires in VD Powers and weaknesses

ta da found it loves this has everything you want to know about VD's Vampires. they are quite different but also very very powerful .
Thanks for that hon. I have something to read this evening.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weena (View Post)
Yeah, but some people can't take a joke about Twilight, they go berserk when I'm just joking about what's obvious anyway

But yeah, let's keep the peaceful atmosphere here, and I'll start with me, I swear (raises right hand) not to bash these sparkling...I mean "gorgeous" Twilight vampires for fans that are here in the VD board (hi guys! )

Just don't start bashing my Damon or I'll get into my fighting war-freak self, hahahaha
you took the words right out of my mouth, regarding the sparkles.. I love the fact that the vampires in this series respected old traditions of vampire lore via the rings for sunlight etc while adding something new... and Damon, hes the epitome of the bad yet alluring vampire...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
... and Damon, hes the epitome of the bad yet alluring vampire...
Now that is Lestat for me. He's a narcissist, he's do anything that'll please him. But his stories are captivating. You'd want him to visit you in the middle of the night.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Elite Fan

I know several vampire stories: Blood Ties, Twilight, VD... but also some stories where vampires are "background" characters.

Almost always they can't go out in the sun, although I have heard in old myths they were perfectly fine in the sun, just not as strong.
In BT, Henry pretty much dies every morning. From dusk till dawn he is perfectly dead, no matter where he lies. I found that kind of interesting.

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Master Fan

So, I have read about vampires in Twilight, VD and just vampire mythology on wikipedia etc.

First of all - I am not a Twilight fan, and I have a lot of issues with it, but I will keep a nice tone
I didnt think that sparkling in the sunlight was a very good idea, because in my world vampires are dark creatures, creatures of the night and that is basically one of the biggest reasons I absolutely love vampires, that makes them so mysterious and intiguing.

In VD I really loved how the vampires needed the rings to survive in sunlight, because that worked out just fine with the mythology of vampires who only live in the night. And the ring was like a tool to keep them from dying in sunlight which is not a natural "environment# for them as vampires.
Another thing that made me so happy about vampires in VD is that Damon seriously doesnt care about anything but himself and he feeds on people. That it makes him stronger. Sucking people's blood is kind of what a vampire is all about, or one of the major things, because vampires have a lot of other qualities.

What do you think about when you hear the word 'Vampire'?
The first thing I think of, is someone extremely handsome and seductive, seducing young women so he can drink their blood in the middle of the night.

And the last thing in this post I have to say is, that I LOOOOVE the idea of vampires not being able to enter people's homes without being invitied. That's a brilliant idea. It's like when you invite a vampire in to your house, it's kind of your own fault, YOU invited the "evil" inside, so you can either deal with it or run away - if you can
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Elite Fan

What I also enjoy about VD is that Stefan's way of life has consequences (unlike the "vegetarian" diet for the Cullens); he's considerably weaker than Damon, in the books there are even powers he can't access unless he's had human blood and lots of it.
I don't wanna rant about Twilight here, but another thing I like is that these vampires in VD have blood. Once you share blood with a vampire you can become one, otherwise you just die. That also makes a lot of sense if they're gonna be able to have sex on the show (one thing that always bugged me about Twilight: where there's no blood to circulate....).

And yes, them not being able to come in without being invited, it's a good thing. Because evil can get you anywhere except in your own home. Unless you invite it in, that is.

enough already.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Master Fan

Yes Lynn, it's so very awesome that "vegetarian" vampires actually lose a lot of things when they're not feeding on people. So Stefan has to choose whether he wants to have powers like Damon or not...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly, it just makes the sacrifice that much more important, I think

enough already.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmm vampire stories Ive read: Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy, the Darren Shan saga, Anita Blake.

Well we all know about the sparkling in Twilight, Twilight vampires are probobly amongst gthe gentler ones, not exactly fitting in with the rest of the fandom, and one thing you guys pointed out as a difference between Twilight and Vampire Diaries that I completely agree with is that even though the Cullens are 'vegetarians' they're not weaker than other vampires whereas in VD almost always Stefan is weaker than Damon because of his diet, thats more believeable as theres gotta be a reason theyd rather drink human blood than to stick to animals, its gotta give them more power.

Ad for the other fandoms, I think the Anita Blake vampires are probobly the most traditional ones, not able to go out in sunlight (though I think if theyre old enough they can survive, though not sure, only read the first book so far) stakes kill them, they drink human blood, that kinda thing.

The vampires in Darren Shan are sooooo different that the iranian translation of the books translated their names to phantoms not vamps they can go out in the sun but cant stay long, they age, though slower than humans, they can die of old age and sicknesses and pretty much everything else, ...

and well in VA, theres different types of vampires, one is the traditional type, the other is like ... humans that drink blood without killing, no immortality ... but no sunlight either.

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Every board that is about Vampires has this thread but its a great thread
Old 09-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weena (View Post)
Hi guys! nice discussion over here
I like the concept in VD that a vampire can't enter a house unless he's been invited, I hope it gets highlighted in the tv series
I love that concept, i remember they used that for Buffy aswell.

I've adored the vampire mythology for years now, thanks to things like Buffy and Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles.
The reason i actually picked up Twilight [before the whole hype] was because it was about vampires etc, and i came to enjoy it. The vampires were different but still i liked it.

The one thing that i love about the VD book series & tv show, is that they show what vampires are all about. Fangs, blood, sunlight, dark, seductive. That's why i love Damon ahah.