Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDK (View Post)
I know it's only the pilot, but the promo for next episode shows that they're moving even faster. They will kiss in next episode. I would have liked some build up tension before the kiss. But I will just wait and see what happens
They probably really don't kiss though. They'll most likely be interrupted...probably by Damon.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Master Fan

^oh that would be interesting. Go Damon hehehe
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Master Fan

yeah... Go 4 it Damon.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I'm far from making any decision on ships; however, I pretty much agree with the consensus that SE were being forced in the pilot. But, I don't hate them - I'm still kind of indifferent to the idea of them so I'm waiting to see where it goes before I make any final determinations. Which I guess, after thinking about the pilot some more and playing devil's advocate when reconsidering their "forced screentime", LOL, their exuberant number of scenes together kind of makes sense in the grand scheme of things since the whole plot introduction was that Elena IS the reason Stefan came to Mystic Falls to begin with. Maybe if they handled that somewhat differently - like Stefan's initial interest was *just* in saving her life (from Damon for his own personal reasons and maybe it's not too late for the show to spin this: Elena eventually viewing herself as a mere stand in for Katherine?) - not so romantically inclined right in the beginning? Perhaps the build-up would have been better had he watched her from a distance for awhile without Elena really noticing him right away either. Through this writing direction, we probably could have seen some of their (SE) own separate character development take place in the episodes to come and Stefan would have likely come across as a much deeper/complex character than he initially has been presented to be.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 09-14-2009 at 01:51 PM
Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Heather I would love to see that instead of what I've seen in the Pilot. I could understand it better.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Gay, I've started to notice this annoying trend with the writing quality for alot of modern shows - it's not just this show, but many in general. It use to be that a "Main Couple" at least earned it's recognition/title as "Main Couple" even if all fans didn't ship them together. You could still at least look at them and say as a fan ... "Okay, I might not prefer them but I get storyline wise why there are alot of fans that do." Heck, even when an opposing fanbase is so adamently against a main couple, it means the writing is doing it's job because the writing has sparked/ignited some kind of emotion/feeling about them, lol. I don't know why but it seems like it's hard to do that now-a-days because with the exception of a rare few - "main couples" are being superfically force fed. Fans don't even necessary hate, they're just plain bored with the material they're given. Almost all couples I've shipped at one point or another were developed - the suspense surrounding the idea of them was built up in some way, they had some type of obstacles to face/overcome (whether personal or from outside influence). Don't get me wrong - obstacles, if handled poorly or explored way over the top, can ruin a main couple too. It's the balance that's needed to make a couple interesting so that viewers want to follow their story. You want to be able to see there's something there worth fighing for; however, right now - Stefan and Elena are basically like *strangers* to the audience and it's almost impossible to get emotionally attached to the idea of them.

The writers should pull back a bit - there should be some resistance/doubt coming from the characters on both sides. Stefan because he's a vampire and hey, even some simple resistance on a purely human level springing from Elena's end: Elena resisting the idea of getting too close to anybody again for fear of losing them/being sent on another emotional rollercoaster ride just like when she lost her parents.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
Yeah, Gay, I've started to notice this annoying trend with the writing quality for alot of modern shows - it's not just this show, but many in general. It use to be that a "Main Couple" at least earned it's recognition/title as "Main Couple" even if all fans didn't ship them together. You could still at least look at them and say as a fan ... "Okay, I might not prefer them but I get storyline wise why there are alot of fans that do."
WORD. I am not a fan of Chuck and Blair in GG but I do enjoy their storyline as I understood the feelings, the emotions that were built around them. I've seen far too many couples in shows today that could potentially have a great chemistry but the execution on how they were brought together just ruined it.

Quote:
Fans don't even necessary hate, they're just plain bored with the material they're given.
Exactly. I know it's just the Pilot but the first 5-10 minutes is crucial in introducing your characters. Why not introduce them in a way that the audience (us) will really know her instead of trying so damn hard to push a love story first.

Quote:
You want to be able to see there's something there worth fighing for; however, right now - Stefan and Elena are basically like *strangers* to the audience and it's almost impossible to get emotionally attached to the idea of them.
Again, word. Oh they could be attracted to each other at first sight. You know have crushes and all, besides they are in high school. They could well bond over the many similarities that they have, that's cool, too. But to get attached too much emotionally is far from reality.Oh, I'm sorry it's television, but it's their story that they are telling and how can I ship them if I can never relate to them?

Quote:
The writers should pull back a bit - there should be some resistance/doubt coming from the characters on both sides. Stefan because he's a vampire and hey, even some simple resistance on a purely human level springing from Elena's end: Elena resisting the idea of getting too close to anybody again for fear of losing them/being sent on another emotional rollercoaster ride just like when she lost her parents.
You need to be a writer on this show.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by +supernova+ (View Post)
They probably really don't kiss though. They'll most likely be interrupted...probably by Damon.
Or they could be kissing but Elena would be thinking of someone else, hehehe
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
New Fan

To be quite honest, I think that some of you here are being a tad bit too critical. Honestly. They have to show some Elena/Stefan because if not, then why watch the pilot? I must admit that Damon was a highlight yet needless to say, its not HIS romance with Elena, it's Stefan's. Besides, if you haven't read the book them you most likely won't know who falls in love with who and such. Also, some you are are complaining about its difference from the book. Of course there are going to be differences! Can you people imagine how boring it would be if they followed it exactly? This TV series is based off the books, so of course there will be major changes. It's not popular if a TV show follows the book word for word. I loved the Pilot and thought that it was a great start to the series.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

I dont think we're being a tad too critical actually, because of course we will have to see some Elena/Stefan romance, that's a given if you know the books. They're very much the 'main' couple in the books whether I like it or not, so of course it will be about them.
The problem is just that I (and some others) think that the relationship between Elena and Stefan who had never met each other before suddenly from the first few days become very deep. And that's just a bit too fast for my taste. Takes away all the romantic tension I enjoy so much.
If they have waited to episode 2 or 3 with the very deep talk and the loving looks it would have been perfectly fine.

About books vs. show, I am not a fan of the show following the books in everything, not at all. I was just saying that the relationship between Elena and Stefan started in a slower, better way in the book. When you base a show of a book, there will always be comparisons although I always try to look at them as two different things.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

SofQueen313 Welcome to the board dear! Glad to see you posting your thoughts here, too.

While we welcome different ideas/reviews in this thread, claiming that people who didn't quite like the Pilot too critical could sound a bit offensive. I can understand where you are coming from though when you mentioned that ultimately VD is about Stefan and Elena. We don't want to take that away, however, as what you've also said 'It's not popular if a TV show follows the book word for word' plus the network had promoted it as a love triangle, you couldn't just shrug off the other ship (re: Damon/Elena). I can see that the Pilot could well be his romance with Elena but in the long process it won't be generally only about SE.

Quote:
They have to show some Elena/Stefan because if not, then why watch the pilot?
I think I can speak in behalf of the other people that said it was too much. We didn't say that there should not be any SE in the Pilot. We just thought the scenes were too much then it became too forced. I watch the Pilot not only for DE nor SE, I watched the Pilot because I want to get to know the characters and see if somehow I can relate to them, to understand them better. I believe that a Pilot episode is about introducing the characters rather than introducing the love stories we'll get in the long run. The writers can work on SE as the series moves on.

So yeah, I think that's what we're just trying to say. But I'm sure there are other posters here that would agree with you about Stefan and Elena, you may check the old thread for their reviews.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Moderator Support Team

Should I detop this or wait until Thursday?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Master Fan

Finally got around to watching the pilot. I hate having class on Thursday nights.

As a fan of the books, I have to say it was interesting to see how it all played out on TV and I'm definitely hooked on this show. I am a huge S/E supporter and just so pleased with the casts for these roles.

Ohhhh Kevin Williamson, you've sucked me into another show
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by +supernova+ (View Post)
Should I detop this or wait until Thursday?
I think you should de-top this already. We have the new episode thread up and it's just 2 days before it airs, too.

KC and LP Fan Glad to see you're hooked already. I love the cast, too.

Last edited by HappySquared; 09-16-2009 at 12:43 AM
Old 11-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

hey guys, just a quick note.
Since we're in hiatus right now, we thought it would be nice if we did a re-watch so we don't die of boredom.

If you up to it, we're starting tomorrow night (US time)

- Jen, Gay & Meg.